Pins

My PSU has 6 pins.
The new video cards have 8 pins.
Is it just a matter of getting an 8 to 4 pin cable or are there performance considerations?

Other urls found in this thread:

linustechtips.com/main/topic/561041-980ti-darwin-awards-help/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Whoops. Meant 8 to 6 pin.

Don't you mean 6 to 8?

if PSU has more pins, buy an adapter.
If it has less, get a new PSU.

This is why I don't bother with PCs. They constantly have to be upgraded every 2 years to get keep being able to do max settings.

Maybe. I don't know.

But it's 620 watts.

I've got good news: there hasn't been a single decent PC game in the last 10+ years.
You don't need to upgrade anything.
Every single person that upgraded their PC just uses their rigs to shitpost on Holla Forums all day.

but it's a bad investment if it doesn't suit your needs.

this is also true. PC gaming is a meme.

NIGGER

I'm actually getting it for premiere and after effects with lots of gaming too. I'm really impatient waiting for shit when I'm editing. Gotta be fast as fuck.

It might suit my needs fine. I need to know if using an adaptor cable will be the same as having the 8 pins on my psu. The power supply is clearly more than capable. It's just a matter of finding out if there are any issues with using the cable I need.

it's not the same, in plain. You just can't send that same amount of power through fewer pins. You will be getting worse performance and not meeting hardware specs can cause components to brick. Just don't do it.

You actually can. But there may be some issues with overclocking from what I've read. I'm just waiting for someone who knows what they're talking about to show up.

I test used parts for a living in a shitty warehouse where I can rarely get the equipment I need, and I will tell you a secret.

The video cards with 8-pin connectors will work if you plug a 6-pin connector into it. It should fit, just off to one side, leaving 2 pins open.
I have no idea if this will fuck your system in the long run though, I just do this to check if the given video card is working before it goes to a customer.

Align the 6 Pin connector correctly onto the 8 Pin socket (only one position fits) and plug it in.
Congratulations, your graphics card can now use 75 W instead of 150 W power and has the ability to detect it by the means of the two extra pins.
If it's implemented correctly, it will limit the GPU power budget to the 75 W spec and run slower.

What about an 8 to 6 pin adaptor?

Or an 8 to two sixes?
My current gpu (6950) takes two 6 pins.

Wouldn't recommend using adapters. These GPU power cables transfer high currents and additional connector plugs are fire hazards.

We need to go deeper.

"PC gaming is a meme." is a meme.

PC Gaming is a meme is a meme is not a meme.

PC Gaming is a meme is a meme is not a meme is a meme.

Shouldn't have said adaptor. It's an actual cable. I have the 2 6 pins on my psu.

PC Gaming is a meme is a meme is not a meme is a meme is not a meme.

How does he use the middle one?

You can connect your PSU directly to your graphics card as described above. It might work flawlessly. Or you PSU might switch your PC off in the middle of a game. Then you know you need a new one.
These additional cables have additional plugs which interfere with the protection circuits in your PSU. They overheat under high current, then your PSU doesn't switch off, because it can't detect the problem and your PC starts a fire instead.
The thing on the your picture is especially dangerous, because it connects two wires to one connector pin and is overloading/overheating that connector for sure. Avoid it, if you don't want get fucked by your insurance.

But it's 620 watts.
Fuckā€¦

Wait
No they dont

Just buy a new PSU. Dont cheap out and get one with modular cabling.

He's mastered the typing of the dick.

It has modular cabling and tons of power. Look at the picture in the OP. Corsair HX620w From 2006ish

Simply count the number of connectors:
That's fine.
Now you have two more connectors in the path (and more wire, which is not accounted for). That's a fire hazard. Adapters are fine for connecting additional hard drives or other low power devices, but 150+ W GPUs are no joke.
Connect your PSU directly to PSU it may work and fails in a safe way if it doesn't. (PSU turns off, GPU doesn't boot). Fuck around with adapters, it might look like it works and you may burn your house down.
Get the proper modular cables then.

But I already have a 2 plug setup. Not my hand.

6 pins works fine. I'm not even sure how a 6-8 pin power connector would even work, but I've used 6 pins in my card for 4 years with no power problems.

You use 2x 6pin to make a 8pin

2x6 is 12, can't you count???

So the guy who said using this cable will start a fire is full of shit?
From what I've read
8-pin is rated for 150W
6-pin is rated for 75W
So the two sixes is the same W as the 8.
Should be fine, no?

You will only start a fire if you plug all this shit with the pc still on and leave the connectors loosely connected. Those cables even come with a few gpus even. It`s safe

Performance wise I imagine it would be identical to having an 8 right? This is my last check before I buy it.

Yes. You get the same wattage

Thanks. Now I must find out which 1060 to buy.

Your PSU is a decade old. It might work with the new GPU, or both of them might let their magic smoke out.

No it's quite fine.

This is going to be better than the guy drilling holes into his video card to fit a heatsink or whatever, then shoving a screw driver into the hole while it's running, and finally snapping it in half.

nvm found it
linustechtips.com/main/topic/561041-980ti-darwin-awards-help/