PS2, PSP and Dolphin Emulation

Hey Holla Forums. what's the cheapest Machine that can emulate PS2,PSP and Dolphin properly? Is it actually cheaper to buy the actual consoles instead?

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkCentre-M91p-Intel-Quad-Core-I5-2400-3-1-GHZ-8GB-RAM-500GB-HDD-DVDRW-/272025418385?hash=item3f55fa7a91:g:LF4AAOSwnNBXaE4w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I've tried to built a dedicated "did-you-mean-console" PC lately using the x4 845, and it runs everything I throw at it in either Dolphin or PPSSPP at FHD resolution, price point 65 bucks.
pcsx2 performance largely depends whether the game runs fine using hardware (thus requiring a dGPU, duh) acceleration, which is like a 50% chance as far as I can tell. If you want to be on the safe side (and use software implementations as much as possible) you'll need to shell out a premium for an i5/i7.
Likely. You'll need a first-gen Wii and a fat PS2 for that iirc. Regarding the PSP, all models should be fine, I'm not sure about the Go though.

The PSP Go is fine.
Avoid the E-1000 or whatever it's called, it's a PSP with only a mono speaker, no wifi, and some weird locked down firmware.

I haven't really ever seen one sold though so you'll be fine I think.

Pretty much any PSP you'll find will work perfectly.

Alternatively, the Vita has piracy right now, PSX through homebrew, and soon, full PSP emu, so it might be worth it to sell out for that too if you want a nice, portable emulation machine with a solid weeb library

Disregard that I suck cocks.
Any and all PSPs are fine with CFW.

Just buy a modded wii, softmodded psp and a softmodded ps2.

Yeah, you can grab:

Which is less in total than a computer with enough power to emulate 6th gen in good conditions, the only real downside is that you don't get nifty things like OC and HD rendering
Ideally you just grab both a good computer and the real thing so you don't have to deal with downsides at all.

I use an SD card and a really fucking big flash drive or even a hard drive with SATA to USB

I got those both for pretty damn cheap so for what it's worth, you could always just use that.

Technically true, if you want to play the most demanding games of that generation, but you will probably also have a PC in your house for shitposting anyway, so you might as well consolidate your machinery and costs.

Since you're buying used anyway, just pick up a used lenovo workstation and slap in whatever budget graphics card all the cool poor kids are using these days.

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkCentre-M91p-Intel-Quad-Core-I5-2400-3-1-GHZ-8GB-RAM-500GB-HDD-DVDRW-/272025418385?hash=item3f55fa7a91:g:LF4AAOSwnNBXaE4w

probably but maintenance and bells and whistles might end up costing you more.
An i5 6600k with a 750ti will run most PS2 and Wii games and will absolutely crush PSP.

That's true too you can also technically build a brand new 600 bucks PC that will handle emulation very well (not recent PC releases though).
And with the nearing release of the 1050/ti you basically have a cheap card that can handle almost every single game emulated while drawing almost no power.
So yeah in the end you're gonna pay about the same price for a secondhand tower that's decent + a GPU + a PSU (fuck trusting those that come by default) than you would the real hardware and it will come with a few advantages and a few inconveniences.

Emulation has limits and some games have pretty fucking annoying problems or require a top of the line CPU to even pretend getting close to fullspeed so it's still not a bad idea to have the real thing in addition to a good computer if you're actually gonna play a lot of games, also obviously you're not emulating XBOX anytime soon so you're still gonna have to buy one if you want to play anything from it.

PSP emulation through PPSSPP is very light when it comes to PC power, with the Dell Inspiron 5558 I have which I only use for university shit, I tried recording Tekken Dark Resurrection with Fraps and it ran at a solid 60FPS. I haven't tried Dolphin, but for PCSX2 you still need a decently powerful computer so it's recommended that you just buy a PS2 instead. However with PCSX it depends more on the game than anything else.

Is PS2 emulation any better now? last time I checked it was pretty inconsistent with some titles.

The latest dev builds finally fixed hardware mipmapping for Ratchet and Clank games and some of the Ace Combat games.

It's still a bit of a hacky mess of a program, but I'm having fun with it at least.

Yeah it's making progress, things tend to re-break often because of it though.

Latest news are that the mipmapping issues in several games got fixed (aka R&C, AC5/0 and a bunch of other games look fine and even run a bit better now while some other like Jak and Ape Escape 2 are only partially fixed) and the HUD issues with DMC 1 while upscaled should be gone now.

Wut? I've seen fats running between 20-40, where the fuck are you getting those. That price range is what I spent total on a fully BC CFW PS3.

You only need one, after that its obviously better to use USBs. Even then it should never be over 50 bucks total since you only need a working Wii, the disc drive is useless. Just get one that boots but doesn't read discs (run between 10 & 20).

Xbox don't run for more than 20-40 dollars.

$5000 for a 5960x, OP. stop being autistic and get a real ps2 for 1% of that.

pcsx2 is shilling at it's finest. they literally force you to buy intel's most expensive cpu.

I fucking love Holla Forums sometimes

You can get a perfectly fine wii for 30$ used online. If you find one with a broken disk drive, half of that.

The fuck?

You're a faggot OP, off yourself.

Yes that why I'm saying
And not just the console itself, I'm also accounting for EU prices in that fork which are higher and simple stuff like brand new clean cables and a refurbished pad.
Also when I say HDD I mean a clean refurbished one not some shady secondhand shit which is automatically gonna cost you more, you can always get free ones if you're lucky but I wouldn't count on them lasting long)
And specifically for PS2 I go way high because I account for SATA board mods and that kind of shit.

Not if you want to stock a lot of games without having to transfer shit all the time but yeah an USB flashdrive/HDD is probably better for that.

i need confirmation is that an actual dolphin

Probably fake, real dolphins are usually better endowed than that