Furi

I just started playing this game, and I'm quite liking it. I like the prevalent risk and reward through charging actions, and parrying late for counterattacks. It reminded me of NieR, except that not every single projectile can be easily avoided. I noticed some people saying there was a delay with dodging, the way it actually works is that you dodge once you RELEASE the dodge button because dodging can be charged when holding down the button, to dodge a longer distance, which is quite useful at times. Whether the delay in dodging is an oversight or intentional, I'm not sure. But being able to dodge when the button is PRESSED sure as hell would've made things feel more reactive. The designs for the boss fights I've encountered up until now is fairly solid, and the tutorial boss does a great job of reinforcing what you've learned in an organic way without excessive 'pause to highlight the button prompt for the action you should perform in this situation' moments only to be never seen again later, much like what happens in modern games.
I thought it was neat how the time boss was all about timing, and that section where your shots get reflected back at you as he says you are fighting yourself was also quite neat.
Right now I'm at the fish boss, and quite frankly he's too much of a fucking chore. The game simply does not respect my time by wasting unnecessary periods of time with recovery animations when losing a life, quick time events, or other animations playing out. I'd appreciate a more general faster pace to make deaths less frustrating and tedious.

The walking simulator sections are dubious to say the least. While I do like them stylistically, they break the pacing in not a rather good way, with most of the time being spent walking through pretty environments when the rabbit guy isn't even talking. There's no way to skip them (despite skippable cutscenes being present), and it's really just an unengaging way of telling a story.

Though an interesting question was raised concerning Furi. Are all bosses in videogames technically a pattern of specific attacks you must remember if you wish to survive? If you die or replay something frequently enough, be it a boss or a level, you will inevitably come to learn the patterns of said challenge. What exactly separates a sequence of applying what you remember, instead of a test which tests everything you've learned so far?

Something is being shilled here, but it's not the game. You should know what oi'm talking about.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/ZBzXo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bump

A few technical missteps and the walking sim parts aside I really loved the game for what it was. I think it could have been so much more, but as it is now it was very enjoyable and, at least to me, it was perfect. 2nd most enjoyed game this year for me

I think you can skip it by gitting gud

Both I guess? In this game there isn't much to learn, just figuring out what the gimmick of the boss is and then pushing your limited moveset to counter that gimmick. It really depends on the game and the boss so I can't give you a concrete answer on that.

Best track or best track?

Second best track, because this is best track.

Waveshaper was so damn good in this game.

also HOW THE FUCK DO I GET THE SNIPER BITCH TO QUIT RUNNING
I try to get close to her and slash her when she's aiming at me but she dodges it like its nothing and forces me to run all over the place again

Busy S ranking everyone on Furier, I swear this is the best game this year.

As you git more gud the recovery animations become less tedious because you realise you can charge an attack/dodge and prepare.

A lot of bosses in vidya in general can be just attack patterns to remember, but Furi has a really good mix, as you need a fair bit of skill to keep patterns in mind in order to respond perfectly. You don't need to memorise anything the first time around to dodge, but it helps to do more damage, like sniperbitch's 1, then 2, then 4 melee attack sequences.

To get her to stop running, she fires about 3-4 shots from each spot, and has a short recovery time after each shot - at least on Furier mode, you have to be nearby but not on her platform when she's charging, get onto the platform and make her hit the tiny walls on said platform, then you're close enough to get her in her recovery.

So here's a question, who was The Father?
The Voice?

No idea why I saged. Have music.

I had it figured out for the most part, but it's helpful to know she's vulnerable during her recovery.
About the memorization thing, I think that as you play Furi, you do slowly git gud and develop the necessary skills to deal with first-time attacks.

about an hour and a half in, just got to the monk guy.

I have this creeping feeling that I'm doing something really terrible by escaping, like these people are the SCP Foundation and by escaping I'm gonna destroy the world

Hyper Light Drifter is better.

Aside from the meme colour scheme, the two games are too different to compare.

Only major difference is that Furi doesn't have mobs. And is overall worse game,

I thought you were honestly confused at first, but now I'm disappointed in myself.

How is that bait? Games are too similar to not notice.

This is bait
HLD is terrible in comparison, slower, no move buffering, less interesting combat, le meme souls storytelling

lol

It would make the game less clunky, and it's already slower to start with

Not only that, but they added iframes to the dodge - POST RELEASE. Also some of the hitboxes are fucked

But seriously, who is the father/the architect?
Is it a secret boss, or is it just The Voice, or will there be a sequel where the rider goes after the father/architect, or what?

I hope there's a sequel that elaborates on the loose ends and really refines the gameplay even further. Like Matthew said, the game is built around compromises, and a sequel would likely be better.

Even if we don't get a sequel, these guys seem like they're just getting started, so I'm excited to see what comes up

I think for people who are just started they are pretty well connected, if they managed to get such a nice variety of synthwave artists and the guy who did designs for Afro Samurai.

furi was pretty lackluster and really predictable. Boss rush games seriously devalue the qualities gained from having proper levels that teach you the mechanics in stretches of game play scenarios. It becomes less repetitive, more meaningful, and more engaging as a result. You have more of a proper sandbox to experiment and grow, and can be taught nuances of a games system very naturally thus bringing everyone up to an equal skill floor but having varying skill ceilings by having players who understand the nuance. This reduces repetition because instead of having players replay a section of a boss fight, they are growing naturally and when the boss fight comes up to that section, it's less of a bland rhythm game approach and more of a careful process of thinking.

Dropped after the second boss, wasn't worth the time.

That would not have worked for Furi.
The way Furi is designed is that you have this very tight and very simple moveset available to you. Now with that in mind, there would be nothing to do with that moveset that would be challenging or fun except making bosses that push your mastery of that moveset to the limit with gimmicks and large health bars and phases. I don't think the game would have benefited at all from weak mooks to wail on before fighting a boss, unless it was designed in a different way, which I guess falls into what this user says that if a sequel ever happens it must refine the gameplay more. Maybe some platforming sections where the traps and hazards are watered down versions of what the boss is going to throw at you(similar to Mega Man, I guess), stuff like that, but if and ONLY if the game has more depth to it like a true 3D plane, more attacks, more ways to dodge(Both for a horizontal and vertical plane) and so on.
Now personally I really like the game, but I get where you and everyone who didn't are coming from, since at times I really wished the game was more. Don't get me wrong, the way it is, it's perfect for what it's trying to be. But there were times where I was thinking that if this game was the good Afro Samurai game we never got, or a new entry to rival DMC/Bayonetta/Ninja Gaiden, I would have really liked it to the point of it being not just the way it is as one of my favorites of the year, but becomes one of my favorites of the decade or even of all time.

It reminded me of an Afro Samurai clone with faster movement and less moves. It's basically a bullet hell game with some light timing-based melee to it. It would have been really fun if it wasn't for the delay on the dodge/dash move. It made getting hit/stunned far too prevalent. It's a solid 6/10 for me, could have been better. Neat style though.

nier automata seems to be doing the same sort of bullet hell thing. I think the original nier did this too, but I've yet to play that. Interestingly, it's looked far better in all the demos and trailers and presentations than Furi has looked at any point. Furi's style over substance qualities are bold and clear, and they make the game very unappealing on any level but the surface.

according to taro yoko you dont need to play any drakenhard or nier games to enjoy nier automata

I'm sure, but I'd like to either way.

Yeah Automata's gonna be great.

I recommend playing Nier and D3, and reading/watching a LP for D1 and D2.
Normally I wouldn't say watch an LP at all but D1 plays like trash(think a musou game but much worse) and getting 100% is a pain in the ass, and D2 also plays like trash and is boring as shit when you start realizing how many padded out to 20 minute free expeditions you'll be going through to get 100%. And it's not exactly by Yoko Taro so no crazy shit.

I really, really hate that art style.

now I understand the complaints over dodge on releasing the button

That's a limitation of Game Maker, not the developers. And at least they went through the effort to actually rework it instead of throwing their hands in the air and saying "It's impossible/Not worth it/etc!" like other devs would.

you can literally just edit one variable to uncap the framerate to whatever you want
if doing so borks all the code, then they shouldn't have built it around 30fps in the first place

You're going to have to show me that variable, then. I've been working on something and it's been a pain in the ass to factor in dynamic framerates, I'd honestly love to know how this is done.

just write room_speed = 60 in the creation code of a room

???

Unless you factor in different framerates from the get-go (which is done by implementing delta time, creating your own event timers as opposed to using the built-in systems, and a lot of other stuff – using the room_speed as a modifier for those things), all that would do is double the game logic for everything. The logic is unfortunately tied to the framerate with GM, and there's nothing that can be done about it.

I feel like shit. She was so cute.

Why have indie devs become such greedy pigs in the last couple years?

Chase her, wait till last second before she shoot. Cover behind a pillar. Hit her

alright so I'm done. this is my understanding of the story I've gathered. if anyone has any other information feel free to correct me

If they had spent so much effort going from 30 to 60 you'd imagine they'd spend a shitload more effort going from 30 to whatever

But who is the father?
Who the hell is the star
Who is the 11th boss? practice mode doesn't have a boss numbered 11

i will give you this, the game is definitely not worth 25 bucks. I could see 15, maybe 20 although that's stretching it, but definitely not 25. It's a fun game but for the number of hours and amount of enjoyment you get out of it, i can think of a hundred different things 25 bucks can be better spent on.

It's not possible to uncap it with Game Maker. The method in this reddit link below is the only way to achieve something similar to it, but there's no simple toggle to make it happen.

archive.is/ZBzXo

There's no simple "just uncap it" method with GM. You either have to build it up from the beginning to factor in uncapped framerates, or deal with whatever you started building it at initially.

bump to keep this alive

This fucking game eats inputs like no other. I have never had any problems with any games, but this has some retarded nu-coding that makes it unplayable.
Although… I really like how the dodge works. It feels more like anticipating enemy movement rather than reacting to it.

Good idea but devs were lazy. It's basically just few bosses and you are done. This should have been a full fledged game with entire levels including smalltier enemies.

Would it really have been better? The combat clearly wasn't made to fight multiple opponents at the same time, and we all know bosses are the best part of almost any game, so why bother with anything but bosses? You could argue that smalltier enemies are there to teach you new skills, but the thing about Furi is that you never get new skills or powerups. You have to defeat all the bosses and their gimmicks with the same abilities you have since level 1. It's true that it's not worth the current price tag of 25 dollars, but at 10(which will probably be in the next sale) is worth it. Who knows maybe they will make a sequel and will have other things like small enemies and platforming. I for one would really enjoy a jumping button, that could potentially give a new dimension to combat and bullet hell dodging.

I loved it because the dev team created something and set out to do one thing and one thing only with their game - fun boss fights. They didn't try to do a million things with their game and make every small part kind of shallow as a result.

Gameplay stumbles a bit with the inputs, yes, but it still works because the game FORCES you to be this ultra-nimble, super-skilled fighter. It reminds me a great deal of Megaman Zero and Valdis Story in that in order to get the highest ranks you have to incarnate the fighter and become as skilled as they are.

I don't want a sequel - the story wraps itself up nicely while leaving just enough questions to leave you thinking about the game later. The only things I would want is the ability to skip the walking segments, which while neat on a first playthrough get VERY stale.

Also fucking Game Audio Factory. They are the studio that made the OST for Styx and Endless Games, and their shit is amazing.

So what was the point of perfect parries?
Perfect dodges for life. Parrying is for fucking pussies.

Healing, free damage and stops the enemy combo?