What went wrong?

What went wrong?

valve becoming full blown kikes

Shitty new weapons.

what started it?

It went on for too long.

A whole lot of things ranging from Valve becoming ultra jews, to the game going f2p, to the TF2 team not knowing how to properly balance and test their fucking game, and more.

Nothing. It was good while it lasted.

Blutsauger and ΓΌbersaw.

game was shit from the start

Overwatch>>>>Hat Trading simulator 2

You know what, I'm bored and ironically need to kill time, so I'll elaborate.

I don't think any one issue is "what went wrong" with TF2, I think there's a lot of little issues that have contributed to it's downfall, and not all of it the fault of Valve.

Firstly, the obvious, a lot of additions made to the game have been to it's detriment, in the form of hard to balance items and gaudy cosmetics that over time fit the 'feel' of the game less and less, usually in the form of promotional items.

Secondly, free to play, something that was inevitably going to happen considering the popularity of both the game, the features added to the game since it's launch (again, the weapons and cosmetics) and FTP as a payment model growing in popularity. But, the negative results of this change were immediate, the playerbase in general got worse at the game, and less a positive addition to the community in general, taking the form of people without mics, children, people who don't speak English but insist on playing on English dominate servers, and just general assholes who'd be common in a Call of Duty or Battlefield type game. Before that, all TF2 had among it's players who were a significant detriment, was the strangely populated furry community who played the game and you'd frequently accidentally join a server dedicated to once in awhile.

Lastly, this is probably just me, but the games been out for almost a decade. There's not much appeal anymore going back to a game that I played hundreds of hours of, much of my life ago, other than a brief reminder of why I left in the first place, I got sick of playing the same game and wanted something different, and thus moved on.

Amen, though it's not really the weapons to be the problem, rather the fact that Volvo refuses to admit that they don't know how to fix their own game's balance.
The Medic's update was meant to incentivize people to play Medic more, except it only made old Medic's weapons useless for a while. Nowadays there's a shitton of items that are either gimmicky or just flat out useless. That's not counting for the massive chunk each cosmetic forces upon you and how top-of-the-line gaming pcs of yesteryear can't even boot up the game properly.

The main issue is that the original game was 9+ years of development from experienced developers. The new team seems like interns trying their best to appease a community that has no clue why they even like the game, or what was so addictive about it. In the couple of years that they've been running it, they've managed to completely ruin most of the "fun" weapons in the game. They've given nerfs that have made a weapon useless for killing but overpowered in specific niche situations, leading to bans in competitive matches. Their promised "support" for competitive was replacing the drop-in-and-play-whenever game style that made TF2 easy to just load up for a few minutes whenever you felt like it with a super cereal matchmaking system that doesn't work. A second-year computer science major could have built a functional matchmaking system that pleased the competitive community, and done it better, in a month or two, on their own. Instead, the entire might of Valve brought its full-force down on a miscalculation, and it took them years to poorly implement a bad idea.

What's more infuriating is that they just are clueless. The community screams, and they do the short-sighted thing and try to please them. They don't care about making the game sustainable, or balanced, or fun. Even when they do try to prioritize these things, their definitions don't fit the community's expectations. "Sustainable" to them means "people play it and buy stuff", not "the game is mechanically perfect and timeless". Their idea of "balanced" isn't the wacky "these crazy strategies can work if you have skill" balance that the original TF2 team had, where more "broken" weapons were unusably ineffective than they were too effective for how little skill they took. If anything, their balance changes have only served to lower the skill ceiling. Half the whining is from people mad they were killed by easy-to-counter gimmick weapons. And their idea of "fun"? Crates and missions on Valve servers, which aren't even drop-in-and-play anymore, but require you to suffer through a matchmaking queue or find a crappy for-profit server network to join. Which is Valve's fault, too, because of how they handled Quickplay.

It's clear that they don't have any vision for the game, they're reliant on a community that doesn't really understand what they want. All they had to do was keep churning out updates like they used to, even in smaller numbers. The old TF2 team kept the game going by releasing seasonal updates, along with major class overhauls, and other themed additions. They added maps, music, hats, and weapons. And they balanced the game by using those new items and abilities to restore equilibrium when it slid out of place. The new team seems focused on just making these mechanical changes, without regard for broad-sweeping consequences. They don't get that you can't just tweak how something behaves in one context and not affect it in another. They don't seem to even playtest their changes. I wouldn't be surprised if most of their changes were tried by the original team a decade ago, failed to work, and were cut.

They're literally undoing the work of the original team, and making TF2 a worse game. I genuinely wish they had stopped working on the game two years ago, just acknowledged they didn't want to touch it anymore, and left the servers up. It would have been better for the overall game. Instead, they're tearing apart the good parts. Pretty soon, there won't even be a TF2 to "go back to". Other games, you can load up and play with friends, mostly in-tact. We'll be opening TF2, finding a game that doesn't even resemble the one we loved, and just not playing it anymore.

Eat a dick, Valve.

Same thing that goes wrong with anything Holla Forums pretends to hate after the fact. Hipsters on there, and hipsters here. Chasing whatever the popular opinion is. Totally oblivious to the fact you can construct an opinion on a topic totally absent the identifying factors that usually bog down discussion because they are on an anonymous image board.

and before you say it.
Yes I already know there's a few niggling nitpicks to be found with the game. Like sv_pure custom content preventing you from participating in the halloween event. Including the readme file in your custom folder valve put in there. Or the absurd wait times to get matched into a game in lieu of the fact Valve was apparently going to keep running non matchmade servers that could be accessed from the server browser.

the alien update

TF2 wasn't designed around competitive play. There's a huge gap between how the grassroots competitive scene plays, and how regular players play/how the devs intended it. The devs resent their most committed players for this reason.

Valve discovered microtransactions and went full jew. They know hats are where the money is, and that new maps, weapons, or game modes are only useful to promote the release of new cosmetics.

People lost interest in the classic casual setting of FPS, where people wander onto a server and goof around in it for hours. Now they want modern casual, where you get matchmade with a bunch of retards and within 5 minutes you've either stomped them or been stomped and you move onto the next bunch of retards. TF2 really doesn't work in this setting. Either you goof around in a full server and get to know people to some extent, or you go full 6s tryhard, get frustrated at people playing the game the way it was intended to played with no knowledge of the competitive meta, and splinter off into your own little community of autistic euros.

It went F2P.
Every other reason itt boils down to "i don't like thing."

"We gotta make some fucking money"
-Team Fortress 2 website

Do stop with that shit.

That's not even what he said, dickass.

The core game is still good, the problem is it hasnt had any good changes since the first few updates

Should agree. They likely siphon all fun from game.

Yeah. At least it was for me since spy was my main class, and they completely fucked it up.

I'm impressed. Most responses to this question are just "hurr gimmick weapons" or "durr hats" but the game managed to survive and grow with those. The real problem is Valve and we can only hope they hand over development to someone who actually gives a fuck before the life-support runs out of batteries. There are people making TF2 content for free that would make better developers than the valve team.

nothing it's a good game.

Valve stopped giving a fuck

It's all bound to change soon, hopefully. Every tf veteran, 'pro player', or just anyone who understands the game well and has played the game on every new patch, knows that the current team is completely clueless. Just watch any tf channel on youtube, there's people who knows the game better than the current tf team from years of experience, but they also influence their audience
Tf is the 4th most played game on steam, if I remember correctly. They dont want to lose that, the community is getting tired of not just bad updates, but pure bullshit like the matchmaking not working, or complete, useless reworks to some weapons, see the shortstop

That's actually exactly what he said, you were just fooled since he wrote an entire paragraph to say it.

nothing went wrong, what do you mean?

Removing Valve servers from the server browser killed it for me, along with a pointless leveling system.

The fact that the game remains somewhat popular but no one on valve wants to work on it because everything else in valve is a more exciting project

When people say 'TF2 died,' they're talking about the game, not its population.

*the quality of the game
Fuck me.

Overwatch came out and just did what tf2 did but better. Not really anybody's fault. Sometimes innovation just makes older junk obsolete. It's just the way time works.

Can I get a round down of all the weapons that are either too good or too bad? And how would you go around fixing them?

MannConomy

Nigger I never liked TF.

/v is not one person. I'm playing weebshit, not normalfag shit.

TF2 was always shit

Software testing is comprised of hiring the cheapest 102 year old man you can find and laugh at him while he can't even set up the development environment.

Well

What do you expect?

Does Valve even care how fucked it is if it keeps fucking up the game like it has?

Its not like back in the old days when there was pretty much no competition for the type of game it was trying to be, there's so many more options for the community to get their fix in now, why stay in an abusive relationship with a dev team that has no fucking clue what they're doing when they could jump ship to something like Overwatch or Paladins that has relatively regular updates, support, and community outreach from the developers, whats the most the new TF2 team has done in the past few updates? Fucked with the balance to the community's loud chagrin? Added more hats? Added fucking CS:GO weapon skins? Why do people still hold on to the few good memories of old TF2 like some sort of Rosary bead? Move on, there's better options out there.

The spy class use to be the most fun I've had in a stealth game ever. Even Thief pales in comparison once you realize you can just circle-strafe a guard and knock them out. Now the class is ruined due to gimmicky bullshit and counter weapons that effectively make it easy for dumb people to use and tedious for anyone else.

always shit

Remember when you threw a rock and got the guard to move to the direction of the sound? I see that you're trying to use the same maneuver here but that only works on stupid Artificial Intelligences
What about VALVe going full jew to the point they hardly release any non-cosmetics now? You could reveal Holla Forums that every legitimate game dev on VALVe has been thrown out and replaced with some 3D modellers that were already there and new marketers and nobody would be surprised.

First the sandman. Then the trading items. Then the destruction of it's aesthetic. Then, as a killing blow, it went F2P, basically squaring the amount of retards in the community (which was already high before).
That's how the TF2 died.

I can't run the game anymore.

Valve started to give some support to the competitive community by shitting out a non-functional competitive matchmaking mode while trying to reinvent the 6s wheel.

The TF2 team does play TF2, but they don't understand it at all. If they did they would have:

Why does VALVes new tf2 team lack any ability to be funny at all

They lack an understanding of how the game works and what people like about it.

Since the game is already dead. Why doesn't Valve just completely out-jump their own shark and add airplane dogfighting modes and shit? They have nothing to lose at this point and it might breathe some new life into the game

Capped.

OP made a copy of the same shitty thread as before.
Quit reminiscing over things that became shit and look towards what's good now.

You know what to do.

Forget the game, Why does it take them a whole year to make an issue for that fucking comic?
just end it already.

nothing, valve is swimming in shekels, an example to follow.

Team fortress 2 needs to go open source.

If valve really wants to focus on DOTA and CSGO, they should just drop TF2 completely and release its source so everyone can keep it alive.

NICE

capped n' kek'd

posting to /r/tf2 and /r/Holla Forums right now

I thought you could already play around with its source, I know there's a github repository for it in some form or another. Source SDK lets you make mods and all, like TF2C or that one mod that lets you play HL2 with RED team on Resistance's side/Gordon's paths and BLU team on Combine's side.

Im talking full blown development without valve. they dont want to support TF2 anymore, so they should just throw the game completely to the community and go latch onto their new cashcows.

Boy, oh boy do I hope and pray, and even believe that things are said ironically at times right guys??

faggot

Well hes posting costanza.
So it was a joke, saying I hope you guys don't do this…..

That sounds like an absolute nightmare to manage in any official format, honestly. It'd still need to be under somebody or other's control to manage submissions and the like, otherwise it sounds like a situation where everything in the Steam Workshop is accepted as soon as it's submitted.

why do people use this bald jew's face so much? even here? did it begin at reddit? I hated that show before I was redpilled by Holla Forums, just their face make me cringe.

I really hope this is ironic funposting honestly. If so its very quality bait. If not then wow.

Here's some milestone mistakes I noticed over time.

Wasted two potential class updates with War (Sniper/Spy, Soldier/Demoman), which could have kept the hype train alive for a few more months at least

Mannconomy in full swing. While hats and weapon drops weren't a problem, giving the community the ability to trade for items (along with giving them items to use as currency, being keys) resulted in the user market taking over the game to an idiotic degree. Good for business, bad for gameplay.

Integrated CS:GO elements into TF2. Basically the above, but worse

Attempted to compete with Overmeme. Matchmaking gave way to a community equally as salty as Overwatch's, while at the same time alienating legacy players.

They simply weren't able to keep interest. Members of the team moved on to other projects, making it nearly impossible for the ones that stayed to get anything done. Additionally, players simply aren't as interested in TF2, due in part to the things listed above, due in part to the fact that it's simply past its prime.

Pic unrelated.

They should just be available as alternatives or the defaults for a competitive mode while the existing ones stay in for casual

It's from a post on Holla Forums

Probably, though the comp scene had been squalling for years to have a matchmaker put into the game. Matchmaking though didn't really effect the actual sodium content of the TF2 playerbase, just brought its saltiest (read: "MUH COMP" players) to the forefront.

Honestly Valve will probably just break pyro.

$40 > Free game
yeah right, two years later the game will end up the same.

Also Overwatch faggots bashed over GG2

That's what I'm hoping for, maybe then I'll finally be able to quit before they ruin Heavy

it's a Holla Forums meme you fucking dumb nufag

Heavy is honestly in a pretty good spot now. He's functional, he's pretty strong in defensive and offensive situations, the only downside is the lack of weapons.

Tf2 is one of the few games I still really enjoy.
I don't even mind the hats and shit.

I just wish valve hired 10 more people for the team to actually work on the game, it's a pity to see it on life support like this even though it still reaches 80k players daily.

And the damage ramp-up and overall lack of mobility

If they took that out and made it so he could do tiny hops while firing he'd be ideal

F2P was the beginning of the end.

His damage output and health pool more than make up for the lack of mobility.

But user Tf2 was better when it wasn't free

At least we can still play Overwatch, eh guys?

Your taste in video games is shit

I can't begin to describe how awful it's been watching my favorite game with some of my favorite memories on it slowly crumble away, with everything from the game itself to the community that kept it alive. Nothing can save TF2 at this point. The old, great fans are done with the game slowly being taken over by fags who think "ooh competitive" rushing in, just like with Counter Strike, and any who stay will just probably leave eventually, Valve is to busy milking Dota 2, csgo, and just overall being greedy to care anymore about it anymore. Why should they, they already failed trying to turn the Mann-conomy profitable by switching the focus of the game's development to that instead of actually improving the game, and it would take resources and money from their more popular games, that's what the video game are about now right, making money and not good games, that's why it's an industry and not a hobby anymore. Just look at the last few updates, they were some of the biggest and the only reason they were was to copy compete with Overwatch because they knew people were tired with Valve disregarding them in a desperate attempt to keep them they drove them ever further away by ruining the game because of it, trying to copy what was popular, blowing off fans who cared about the game because potential money was more important then them. And why fix it, the fans aren't what's important, money is. And even the games they blow off TF2 for are buggy and barley playable, they do only what they absolutely need to do to keep people's money people playing the game, so even if they did come back and gave the most attention they could to TF2 nothing would change. And once the greed starts it doesn't stop unless some miracle happens, but it won't because why would it, fanboys won't care either way and money will be lost, leading to anyone that might have done anything being fired instantly, and god knows who else that might have done something with them. I want to be optimistic but I just can't anymore, not after the past two years of the game's state. I quit the game for about a year and came back to it recently, I tried to love the game like I used to but I just can't do it, no matter how hard I try the game's gone and it will never be back. TF2 used to be that special game that at any time I could get on, be playing within under a minute, and maybe even have a conversation with actual, genuine people. But that's gone, now after I wait 5 minutes to get into a game it's just fags raging into the mic π‘–π‘Ÿπ‘œπ‘›π‘–π‘π‘Žπ‘™π‘™π‘¦, and they vastly outnumber the people who have loved the game for years who still try to save it, but once a bad community is in, it's there for good, and there's no reverting it. The games gone and there's nothing we can do to revert it. All we can do is enjoy it while we still can, while anyone still can.

I think he means give it a free software license (this confusion is why the term "open source" needs to die)

It's probably the missions that baffle me the most. When gun metal came out, i was more focused on the weapon changes since i was a poor fag and didn't buy the pass for missions. But one day my friend gifted me a pass since we buy each other guns, keys, games, etc. Of course im thankful for the pass but holy shit, having to only play on valve servers pretty much killed it for me. That and the possible reward for a contract is a fucking case. Like, fucking really? Good thing I grew out of keys and that stuff and just play silly stuff like death run or randomizer.

The fact that they added so much superfluous garbage that the game is now 15 GB. And next to nothing from that has been removed from the game on the grounds of "b-but what if deleting it makes someone lose that item" so you have centuries old Christmas and Halloween items bloating the filesize along with making the loading times fucking horrendous.

but steam discounts?

plan x to have sex

Its 18.300 GB now

TF2 is being ruined from the inside out in order to prepare for the release of Team Fortress 3. They have the massive ignorant audience to milk for 60$ a piece, it will make them a good profit. TF2 needs to be ruined so the ignorants will see TF3 as an improvement when it's not even as good as old TF2.

that was a fucking good movie

For you

czeched
quads confirm valve for hiring incompetent fucktards who literally do not test the patches they release for games which cause they to crash with the most obvious bugs that would be caught after 15 minutes of playtime

just for that, I'm opening /r/tf2 and waiting for it to pop up on the front page. going to report the shit out of it for being linked to a site linked of pedophiles ;^)

Pic related could have also been good, but
fucking HiRes
killed it.

You do that, nigger.

the Global Agenda guys warned you about Hi-Rez bro

The new tf2 is overwatch more jewy than ever, and tf2 will a few months right after its 9th anniversary.

They only keep it alive for money. Nobody, and I mean nobody at Valve wants to work on TF2 anymore. The only reason people work on TF2 is that they feel obligated to work on it; it's the messy job that nobody wants to do, but has to get done. At this point, they might as well just fucking toss it to some other devs to actually give some real fucking attention to like they did with CS:GO.

Using Reddit in any way whatsoever, specially for feedback.

Cool, template cuckchan threads are allowed. Great place.

I dunno, I still play it since 2008

The game is still fun, the only thing that changed was you.

They'd basically be getting Holla Forums input by using their own Steam forums, a bunch of retards who haven't played it or don't have anything useful to offer and a bunch of uptight dipshits that haven't played since 2012 but consider their own opinions the future of the game.

I'm pretty sure I saw your thread get deleted just now for meta considering you're whining about template threads.

well no shit satan

Community of 100% refined autism and reddit who caused the retarded cosmetics and balance.

hats that didn't stick to the original art style and the F2P update causing it to be flooded with autism but it's still better than Overshit

f2p, hats and furfags.

Remember when Robin Walker said that Dangeresque, Too? was the furthest that they could bend the art style?