Whats a good Roguelike to play?

Hey Holla Forums I have been itching to play a GOOD roguelike game, however i'm not really sure where to start. I have a buddy of mine that is suggesting net hack however, I would like to also see what else is out there.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.cataclysmdda.com/
amirrorclear.net/flowers/game/sil/
theisozone.com/downloads/playstation/psp-homebrew/tome-235-signed/
s3.amazonaws.com/CoQ/setup.exe
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That depends… Are you looking for something more casual or do you really want your autism tested?

Hmm well i'm looking for something that will test my patience so the latter would be preferable

Roguelikes suck, play the original Rogue, accept no substitutes.

Nethack.

Nethack is good for anybody really. Maybe try out Angband too while you're at it.

Most roguelikes generally lean in gameplay toward one or the other. If you understand those two you can get a good grasp of what most others expect you to do when playing. That will save you a lot of trouble in the future if you stick with it.

IVAN
:^)

Breadsticks tbh.

Ivan is the best lunch hour rougelike.

Finally managed to kill that screaming frog faggot earlier today.
Then got merked by a kamakazi dwarf.
Should have never switched that second fire resist ring for a search.

full autism

lol if you really want something fucked up try Omega.

overworld zero is the best roguelike. This is fact.

>can't git gud at infra arcana

Save me from the horror drought.

whats wrong with cataclysm?

Once you get tailoring 6 and find a library you win.
All thats left to do after that is find mutation books and a set of light power armor and a power armor harness.
Good mutation serums are too much a time waster to make without burning yourself out.

Well its open source right? Why doesn't someone just fix it?

Nobody knows what to do with it.

Shit design. Interfaces sucks. RNG sucks. Half-implemented items errywhere. Guns done so wrong it summons JM Browning back from the dead. Wiki never updated. Goddamn clothes washing, mag hunting and micronutrients. Crafting sucks more nigger balls every update. Did I mention that the wiki's never updated?

Becuase one of the Devs is actually working on the fucking game and theres 5 updates a day usually. Wait for 0.D for people to start fucking with it.
also this

Crafting wiki is also never updated.
also
also AUTOPICKUP IS FUCKING BROKEN
CANT SCROLL ITEM DESCRIPTIONS WHEN THEYRE ON THE FLOOR

I'm waiting for development to just die off to the point that another group can actually create a competitive version. I would probably join them as soon as that happens. We're getting to that point, but slowly.

Until then though any attempts are just going to end up forgotten like the handful of other variants or Cataclysm 2.

I never knew this existed. This fucking game. 1000 contributors and none of them knows basic game design.

Don't forget you can craft steel bolts now as well.
too bad you have to force yourself to use bows/crossbows to get archery high enough becuase THE PNEUMATIC BOLT DRIVER USES RIFLE SKILL INSTEAD OF BOWS
FUCK

They can't decide if they want to go full simulation or be a game. That's part of the problem of why the project never goes anywhere.

I'll contribute to a variant. Why the fuck do people add stupid shit like car jacks and drunk driving when the base game is such shit is beyond me.

I remembered they REMOVED FUCKING CROSSBOW BOLTS FROM CRAFTING because "lol balance XD" goddamn this game makes me mad.

Elona+ is a pretty good entry point into rougelikes

but
WHY?

Some of the parts needed a book or you can't make it.

Speaking of books the new way you get crafting recipes is the fucking WORST

Also if you do start working on the game make it so you can make an actual wheelbarrow entirely out of wood and no engine. shit is fucking retarded.

Nethack is pretty boring and barebones.

I think you can grab wheelbarrows and pull them around.

Yeah that's what I've been doing.

Can't you just put, like a frame on the ground, add wheels to it, add a container to it, and it works like a wheel-barrow? You can pull it around with your hands.

That's usually what I did to make things like that in the past. Did they change it?

Yeah, I just want to push the damn thing around instead of dragging it behind me.
It bothers me much much more than it should

Can someone tell me how to beat ToME? I'm not the type to look at the wiki for spoilers or tips. I can make any boss my bitch but I can't get past about level 20-25 or so before encountering a randomly generated Unique mob with life drain, melee retaliation, immunity to fuck all, the ability to warp around/jump back/knock me back/attack at range/etc, a ranged attack, and more. I know these mobs are randomly generated, and that about 1 out of 100 will have the previously mentioned invincible characteristics. No build I've tried has beaten the odds. Am I missing something obvious? Do i need to hang onto to every piece of leather armor with +6 mind save or such shit for when this unique shows up and mind rapes me while stunning me and warping around? I don't get it.

Theres nothing you can do.
Fuck ToME.
Also if you bought the expansion disable it before you play the base game so you dont have to fight uniques that use overpowered classes you can't use and kills you in 5 turns.

I'm playing the freely downloadable version, 1.4.8. I'd love to just say "fucking RNG, amirite? but I'm the kind of player who will buy and beat a new Souls game within 24 hours of launch; it really chaps my ass to not to be able to advance in a game after ~50 attempts at it.

Which brings me to a not-so-relevant point: Games made by a single developer or small indie team tend to wear out my patience so much faster. I don't give them the benefit of the doubt like I might a AAA developer. When the cleric beast in Bloodborne raped my ass first try, I didn't think: "wow what a load of unbalanced bullshit, these fucking cocksucking gooks couldn't code an RPG encounter to save their imouto's virginity from a pack of wild niggers." No, I just practiced rolling a bit and went back and kicked its ass. ToME though, I do get that impression now and then: that the balance is tipped a little too much towards luck and not skill, versus something like Brogue, where probably 99/100 games are ascendable, if you know what you're doing.

I haven't played a lot of TOME but maybe you should put more into HP and resistances if possible.
Carrying around that armor as a swap when you run into those enemies might not be a bad idea either.

make sure to get the experimental build en.cataclysmdda.com/

it's not a super traditional berlin interpretation rogue-like, but I love it.

Sil (As in The Silmarilion) is a sweet combat-focused roguelike (Angband like?) with some of the better AI, stealth and rolls.
>amirrorclear.net/flowers/game/sil/

Also you can get ToME v2.2.5 on the PSP. Easily the best title.
>theisozone.com/downloads/playstation/psp-homebrew/tome-235-signed/

Why wait? You're tempting me to consider doing this, but I would DEFINITELY do so with a version before the letter updates came along. I haven't followed the game, but it feels like as soon as the x in 0.x became a letter instead of a number, the game was a lost cause.

The sad truth is, though I can bitch about the gameplay, I can't code for shit.

I can program, but I have crippling laziness.

I can program, but I don't like C:DDA
Elona source code deciphered when

But Elona is trash.

Goons and the fact that the game is ridiculously easy once you get to a decent weapon skill. And like what the other user said, there's items all over the place but most of them serve no purpose other than to just exist and make the game look bigger than what its actually is.

Is there a game like Cataclysm but better? I have so far enjoyed turning the amberlamps outside my gunstore into a fortress.

Ye it does get boring after a bit

I have discovered FEAR from just opening the guns lua. The lazy niggers just renamed normal ammo to HP ammo, and FMJ ammo to AP. I guess everything's fucked.

This is why I'd start with version 0.4

The even sadder truth is, Holla Forums already tried.We failed MISERABLY.

When? Where's the source?

How did it die? Lack of programmers? Must be lack of programmers.

It always is.

I can't find the source. It's gone.
I don't remember when it was, a while ago. Maybe a year?
It was called Cataclysm: Exodus

There were a few threads about it, a lot of hype for a short while. We were finally going to stick it to those SJW developers and their fur-suits. But in the end maybe 3 guys showed up to do anything, I added a zombie and some guy did something with guns, a third guy changed the title screen.

It was doomed to fail though, because we could never even hope to keep up with the main project anyway. There was no initiative and it practically collapsed on the first day. I would try it again if I could, but it is what it is.

Did you fork it on github or something? I think that's how open source gains attention these days.

Rather than starting by adding things, someone should've looked at the source and figured out a roadmap, since most of the game needs to be torn out and rebuilt. Oh well.

What is there to play in the meantime?
I tried Elona, but it's too grindy and boring for me. Spells aren't very interesting, and there's a severe lack of necromancy.

God damn I just wanted to play videogames.

Have you beaten ADoM yet? I like necromancy there. You could make amazing stuff from pixie queen corpses if you animate them in the small cave.

If you are more into /tg/ than weeb stuff, I recommend Incursion instead. Less grindy as well.

And DoomRL is pretty good too.

Never played it. Looks kinda neat, here's hoping it's open world mechanics aren't shit.
For whatever reason, I like being able to do whatever I want in video games. Weird right?

Depends how you understand shit. Time runs faster when you explore on overworld map, so you get corrupted and hungrier faster there than in any dungeon. Use ">" to "zoom in" in your map tile if you have to eat, recast Strength of Atlas or remove some particularly annoying corruption stigma you got.

Sounds good. But it turns out I have downloaded this before, since the indiedb download is named (1). I'm not sure wether that means I never played it and forgot about it, or I forgot about it because there were better things. Now I'm nervous.

Actually not true about corruption. Being close to the chaos portal is more dangerous.

Maybe you couldn't stand the cat quest bullshit if you are not a druid? That was the most annoying for me. That and maybe timed quests and other quests that expired when you gained too many levels.

Are there any roguelikes that don't force you to play as some fat fuck that gets hungry after like half an hour of in game time?

DoomRL, as tired as that recommendation is.
Do not play CDDA.

I like hunger as a mechanic, I just don't want it to be such a concern as it is in every roguelike I've tried.

Eh, is that a problem if you can eat corpses of your enemies and there is a guaranteed food shop early every time you play? In ADoM you can also "farm" the stomafilia herb if you know the rules of Conway's Game of Life and, if anything else fails, pray to your patron deity when starving.

Rings of slow digestion are also a thing.

CDDA takes it to an extreme with a finicky vitamin system that must be appeased and you can't eat raw meat without getting parasites unlike in most other Roguelikes. It makes doing any type of construction a goddamn hassle.

there's Project Zomboid, which is similar, but my guess is that most people here wouldn't find it "better".

In ZAngband my character never died from hunger. If you are paranoid about it, pick up a caster class specializing in life or nature magic for a guaranteed satiation spell.

oh boy I'm glad I have my old ass version with it's unfucked tailoring and working vehicles.

In the old versions, the water tank w/ tap and funnel wouldn't collect rainwater. But the new versions came with several tons of spare autism. It's just fucked.

I sank many hours into it. What I enjoyed (even if it's flawed) was the vehicle salvage. Build whatever you want, however powerful you want. It was fun salvaging motorcycles. I did cheat a bit to avoid the skill grind. Early attempts were along the lines of 20+ dead characters before anything substantial could happen. Don't have the time to keep starting from zero.
The game fizzles out eventually once you drive a massive fortress, got plenty of food, arrows, guns, salvage.

Really wish there was an endgame if there ever could be such a thing. At least give me a final boss.

Considering the combat mechanics of that game, I'm not sure a final boss type of deal would work out very well. Honestly I have no idea how to make the end game better. Periodic, massive waves of undead?

Yeah I don't know, maybe a big dungeon with some skill checks in it with some kind of Zombie Cure(tm) to make it feel like there was an endgoal. Basically copy every other Roguelike.

Nothing tops WASHING CLOTHES

I think the game needs some endgame objective like

The real kicker is you MUST USE A WASHING BOARD OR WASHING PHYSICS CANNOT ENGAGE, and THREE FUCKING LITERS OF PURIFIED WATER, and you gotta find soap or can't fucking wash. And see the community fall over themselves defending this.

I must've played it too long ago, the vitamins actually do something now? Washing clothes?

That endgame suggestion would at least give some closure to your character..
Maybe even "retire" a character like you can do so in Dorf Fortress. I just don't know.

You can do it with contained water now? Last I checked it only worked in standing water on the ground from lakes and stuff unless the shitloads of it in my truck just don't count. Having to use a washboard is dumb but having to load it with soap like you load a flashlight or gun is just hilarious.

for someone who hasnt played a roguelike since zangband in 2003, this is pretty hilarious. i considered trying out cataclysm sometime - but seeing this, im not that much of an autist.
please tell me more stories about the autistic misfortunes of roguelike players

Wow my man you really triggered my autism.

Washing clothes is now disabled by default in the experimental builds and the vitamin system is EASILY bypassed by just taking a multivitamin which can be easily found in packs of 10.

so, how do we fix crawl?

lead dev is a cuck who stops people actually trying to improve the game because of complaints from speedrunners.

If your vitamin levels drop too low you won't regenerate health when sleeping anymore. It's really dumb and there are next to no ways to get calcium short of eating bones like a retard.

Rumor has it one of the big problem devs left. We can only hope.

i've been thinking about starting a branch, but i don't know if there are more people interested i know that those faggots at rlg would like a bloated crawl build, but they are lazy faggots
also, i don't know what can be done except restoring previous features like fucking haste. maybe revamping the magic system because it's a fucking bore or adding some Sil-inspired stealth features to make magic-less stabber viable

This
Bone meal doesnt even give calcium.

Devs of CDDA and DCSS should switch for a time.

The TWO good things about fursuits is if you need some warmth for a freezer lab or when you butcher them you get like 40 rags.
they burn pretty well too.

Damn furies

Caves of Qud

Drops fursuit
ehehehehhehehehe

Fuck off.

The best endgame for DDA would be an Omega Man storyline with you creating a cure by doing science with the piles of zombie corpses you leave around.

I wanted to try the graphics version but have never seen a torrent. I know the ascii is free.

Congratulations. You're ignorant.
s3.amazonaws.com/CoQ/setup.exe

That's an outdated version.
Also, it's overrated as fuck. It's somewhat fun, but mediocre and the interface is probably the most retarded interface i've ever seen.

let's say we make our own fork of CDDA

Where do we begin? Which version should we start from to consider "ground zero"? 0.4? Where would we go from there? What features from later versions should be implemented and which features should be fixed or scrapped?

I guess the first step would be removing some bloat like those millions of unused recipes and shitty items.
Then I'd focus on z-levels and fixing the fucking conflicting car system.

ToME 4 disgusts me and I'm glad that I've never played it.

Standardizing and streamlining the interface. Context-sensitive menus. Add mouselook. No more separate build screen and no more shitty clothes layering menu. No more reloading tailor's kits.

Replace weight-based inventory so you can finally drop backpacks.

Standardize container volumes, small tin, large tin etc.

Improve item gen. Guns that spawn should have spawn related ammo.

Improve item and enemy progression… somehow.

And cash cards should be in dollars instead of cents, what the fuck.

If you're looking to start a FUN branch, I'd totally jump in to help.

bump

I've beaten so many roguelikes that vanilla RPGs are fucking ruined for me. I can't even play Morrowind without attaching a car battery to my nipples.

Best of the genre:

Classics worth playing:

Up and coming games you should keep an eye on:

Play buggerfall, duh.

bum

I did. It was awful.

bump

I feel your feel because I felt that same feel in the year of our feel 2014, too.

Wew. How can Morrowind even compete with this Tolkien-tier epic?

Certainly not with its boring ass writing.

i think you may be lost, user

Already have 0.4's source. I have something completely different in mind than just fixing CDDA, though. It involves a certain post-apocalyptic universe that has a very big focus on cars.

The story in a game is mostly inconsequential.

numb

Well there goes my first playthrough. How do I sell shit in this game?

How do you name your characters in roguelikes? On the other hand it doesn't matter at all especially when most of them will die ignoble, quick and embarassing deaths but on the other hand it's a bit of a downer when the guy named "Hrurururuerh" storms Morgoth's throne room.

Dwarf Fortress.

I usually name them after my donut steels. Roguelikes are a fun way to do character building imo

Can't believe I forgot to mention Infra Arcana. Fucking amazing, but hard as balls.

Someone should make a roguelike based on the Horror at Red Hook. Fighting ghouls and cultists is fine, but what about the most spooky monsters, immigrant youths?

I found alpha 16 awhile back but haven't seen any later releases.

You can rename them ingame in ADoM.

Bump.

speaking of infra arcana, I sometimes find an item called strange item, which is strain on my mind, and I can't use it, because everytime I try to use it, it says something about being too complicated or something like that.of the magical items I've found it is the only one I haven't managed to figure what it actually does

forgot to put "does anyone know what it does" there.

Any good roguelikes where I can play as a necromancer?

That would feel like cheating. At least for me, roguelikes are all about living with my fuck ups.

You're still dead fucking wrong in calling it a commercial roguelike you dense fucking lump.

Most ADoM players annotate their first kill in the name.

I'm gonna look through this stuff if you guys suggest which version to start with, also is there anything else you would like improved or is that it