Fangames

It's kind of sad when the fangames for a certain series outmatch the official games. At the same time, though, it's nice to see a variety of perspectives and twists on a set of mechanics from a variety of sources.

What are your favorite fangames?

Other urls found in this thread:

shc.sonicresearch.org/sonic/news/8
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42162175/LakeFeperd.rar
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42162175/ANCIENT.7z
mariowiki.com/List_of_Mario_knockoffs_acknowledged_by_Nintendo#Super_Mario_Bros._X
horikawaotane.com/smbx
wohlsoft.ru/docs/SMBX_38A/
mega.nz/#!bdtByBRB!QENQpUU2fzjYSs79s0Y0lR5Zx1Tt5CI6v3f-buPsUo4
e621.net/post/index/1/goggles rule_63 miles_prower breasts order:score
furaffinity.net/view/9736788/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yumme 2kki and .flow

Mega Man Unlimited is pretty great

Why are many Sonic fangames surprisingly decent?

nevr 4get for the C&D

What's more sad to me is that they don't just make original games.

looks like shit, to be honest

Nigger, this game is even better than Sonic 3 and CD.

Was actually going to make a thread on Utopia.

I think Utopia is at most only slightly removed from an ideal 3D Sonic game. When you're including a Z axis, the only real way to accommodate speeds of that caliber is to either add a throttle, or to space everything out.

And since nobody seems keen on adding a throttle to Sonic's speed, this is about as good as it can get.
Unfortunately, when this is done the level design can very easily become more bland. This is one thing in particular I think Utopia doesn't do well.
The level design is much more "square" than "rectangular" if that makes any sense. It's open to accomodate the speed, but there doesn't seem to be any goal to the environment at all.

Hopefully that's just because it's a new thing and this is some playground type level build, as opposed to indicative of the actual game's level design.

I've played it and BTS, both are shit.

that looks like a good game

question is is there more than one level?

theres also green hill zone paradise act 2, embed related

I didn't like anything about the sequel games except for the music.

I think Utopia would work well as a Mario 64 style game where the environment has multiple objectives, but in this case they would be based around doing cool stunts and stuff, e.g., make it from point A to B in under a certain time, or without touching the ground by jumping from enemy to enemy, collect a certain amount of coins in a time period, run off a ramp and make it through the goal rings. That's on top of the usual secret stars or whatever you find by simply exploring the level. I also like the way they made the hitboxes for rings and markers fucking huge so you can reliably hit them at speed.

That's a difficult question. Castlevania Fighter is great for the fast gameplay and the sheer amount of playable characters. Mega Man Rock Force is great, if a bit wonky with the difficulty. I find it better than Unlimited. AM2R is almost exactly what I want out of a Metroid game. Sonic Robo Blast 2 is almost a perfect 3D classic Sonic game.

Watching this made me think if I was a young man and had seen this type of game what I would have thought about gaming. It really brought me back to an older time.

Holy shit, this is what I've always wanted from a Sonic game. The only thing I would want is for it to be based on Planet Freedom and have these massive floating islands in the clouds and a whole world below.

SpringRTS is neat, albeit based on Total Annihilation.

The original stuff is neat but the actual levels drag on far too long and the bosses leave much to be desired. Glue Man ain't no R4MI Skull Man.

To be fair, R4MI is a very high bar to reach.

Most Sonic fans are irredeemable autists, but that autism is what drives them to make better games.

Fuck SAGE.
SHC is where it's at.

shc.sonicresearch.org/sonic/news/8

Some of the community made scenarios for Marathon are really impressive and easily better than the original.

There are SO MANY different multiplayer modes in SRB2.
We should totally play that together.

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42162175/LakeFeperd.rar

Here are 5 games made by LakeFeperd. They are all great and he churns them out really fucking fast for some reason. Play in the following order:

Sonic: Before the Sequel (2012 version)
Sonic: Before the Sequel – Aftermath
Sonic: After the Sequel
Sonic Chrono Adventure

Spark the Electric Jester [Demo] – Not a fangame, it's an original Sonic-inspired platformer, very reminiscent of Freedom Planet, still very good.

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42162175/ANCIENT.7z

Here is a FUCKHUGE list of very old and shitty Sonic fangames. Most of them are pretty useless, but maybe you're feeling nostalgic or something.

Pic related is a very old list I made. The link doesn't work anymore, but you should still go and check them all out.

Would also appreciate if someone would make/compile a better hack list. There is so much stuff now.

How does he hit Anything n that gigantic enviroinment?

Homing attack

We've played together before so I'm sure someone will set things up again.

Got any other recommendations?

Looks as shit as any other sonic title, IGN did nothing wrong.

Sonic 2 CD and 3K are great.
1 is ok.
SA1 is misguided but had potential.
Colors is good.
Generations is good.
Mania will probably be great.
Advance 1-3 are pretty ok.

I think these 3D Sonic fangames are more like tech demos or proof of concepts that are designed to convey how the physics would work in a variety of situations. If someone were to take the codebase and design more linear, Sonic-like levels with them (meaning multiple distinct paths with varying degrees of difficulty that get you to the goal at varying speeds and allow you to collect a certain amount of powerups or bonuses), it'd probably be a lot more interesting in terms of level design.

Also, I don't think giving Sonic a throttle or gear shift is inherently bad. Lost World's run button was stupid because it had to be held down and there was rarely ever a reason to not hold it down (like Mario), but having situations where the player has to decide between high speed and fine motor skills on the fly would make for an interesting challenge, especially when considering 3D Sonic.

Muh nigger. I love how all the weapons are fairly strong and usable, with stage applications, without being metal blade levels of game breaking.

I need that in my life. I've wanted Classic Sonic 3D since the Saturn.

WEW
Go away shills.

It really is to bad it's shit. It looked like a lot of fun until I actually got around to playing it. The design decisions are astoundingly bad at times. And the "reworked" camera is also ass.

No, you're a shill!

The best thing the game has going for it is the wide and open environment so you can actually get a taste of going fast. What it needs to stay interesting though is some sort of momentum mechanic like Zineth where you need to be on certain slopes or spots in order to gain speed.

Game looks like a 90's cartoonist's acid trip. Seriously shit puke visuals.

Yeah I don't know what kind of neurosis you have but you need to put away the /mu/ grindcore and see somebody that can solve your mental issues/possible/future drug abuse.

I remember when I played my first sm64 romhack. So much potential wasted. Shitty level design is the bane of all fangames.

Your art can be fantastic, your programming supurb, your core mechanics satisfying, but if your leveldesign is shit your game will suck no matter what.

What sucks is that there are so many resources out there for all the other bits, but nobody really talks about good level design, you just have to get a feel for it on your own by really paying attention to how other good games do it.

k fam

Is there a hack out there for SM64 that's worth trying? Honestly the game would be great with all the additions if they bothered with the level design.

Are you saying that's not a good style? I actually like things like that.

All the hacks I've played are shit, but I haven't played that many, so there might be good ones out there if you go looking.

The best one I've played is called Star Road. It's the least shit because it doesnt add anything too crazy and is more of a level pack than a total overhaul of the gameplay and powerups.

Give it a go, but be warned: its not very polished.

Poorly made, reminds me of early 2000s adult swim and walmart shilling monster trucks and films and ugly soulless meth biker films like Idoicracy and Hitman Absolution and GTA4 L&D and Bevis and Butthead and Zoolander.

Just so fucking shit and jewish.

I think you have autism.

"Get C&D'd because your game is too good"-starter pack

Now THAT was a great fangame.

Since when was SMBX C&D'd?

mariowiki.com/List_of_Mario_knockoffs_acknowledged_by_Nintendo#Super_Mario_Bros._X

It's not confirmed, but ReDigit moved on to make Terraria after this happened. Fans have been updating the game since it's open source and no further C&D's have been reported.

I think the Twilight Princess remake is doing this.

Why do fan gae devs stop anyway? Even if they thought that they would actually get legal action pressed against them they could just finish the game privately and release it "anonymously". Do they usually stop because they can't show off their epeen?

That's why I like it, it's so disgusting and alien to everything. The early 2000s was a strange, alien planet.

just add more levels and a chao garden and id still play it even without that stuff

Sonic World has a chao garden and a lot of levels. You might want to try it out.

I can't imagine why they wouldn't want to spend all their time making something for no money and no recognition.

Shit, that looks pretty good. Awesome momentum gain at 1:26. Also like the loops/wallrunning

I can't imagine why anybody would make vidya games in general. Usually passion?

Author posted a demo in case anyone wants to try it out. Saging because homOP is spam shilling this. Maybe it becomes good, defiantly shows more promise than some other amateur unity games shilled on here before.

www.sonicfangameshq.com/PC0/SonicUtopia10232016521.rar

People make games to get paid, thinking anything else is just naive.

2.0 or 1.4.x?
horikawaotane.com/smbx (2.0)
wohlsoft.ru/docs/SMBX_38A/ (1.4.x)

But what if it's a free game and the guy making it doesn't get donations?

That's my point. You're already not getting paid with fan work so I see no reason they would stop development because of a CnD.

He can still use it to get a job later, if you can't attach your name to it it's worthless.

This looks great, not surprising that fans shat on SEGAs attempts so far. Chemical Plant Zone when?

The sounds are pretty good. I really like the animal sounds. I think they're perfect.

Played the demo, it's pretty fun. Definitely good for an amateur Unity game, let alone a fan sonic game. Has lots of potential. The momentum is neat, but I feel like Sonic isn't fast enough on flat ground.

Speaking of Sonic fan games, this one looks pretty sick too. No demo AFAIK though.

Isn't that just Sonic Worlds or that Unreal demo?

Oh wait there is a demo
mega.nz/#!bdtByBRB!QENQpUU2fzjYSs79s0Y0lR5Zx1Tt5CI6v3f-buPsUo4

I don't know, but it was apparently made by the same guy who made vid related

It's another Tanic. Fucking hell.

Uhh nevermind, I played it and it's clunky as fuck.

Played the demo, it's really fucking impressive. I don't know why SEGA has yet to attempt making their games like this.

Why do people still insist in trying to remake Nintendo games? Are they blinded by some delusion of "the company that saw me through my infancy wouldn't dick me over"?

Because it's fun. :^)

Do you prefer to play modern vidya user? :^)

Why can't actual sonic games play like that?
This looks exactly what a 3D sonic should play like if trying to feel like a 2D one. It gives free movement but also allows and encourages the player to go fast.
Why can't sega do something like that?
Instead we get the on rails shit.

Sonic only works in 2D.

Try again shiteater.

People don't make fan games to get paid. If they do, they're fucking up hard.

Art and graphics on this one are a lot better

But this one feels better to control

You made that list?
Thanks a lot for the effort, mate.

Camera and air control need work, though.

reminds me of vid related. if you don't like it you can take your wub step toss it in the freezer until it's solid then fuck your own ass with piece of frozen shit

Does anyone know what ever happened to that one dev who made a game called "Chao Maze" who was working on a 3D Sanic fangame a decade ago?

At least Kirby is one of the last series that Nintendo hasn't fucked up yet, let alone a bad game in it.

Is this a joke post? Kirby has been in the shitter since Dream Land 3.

Epic Yarn was unequivocally a bad fucking game.

The fact that they're trying to ape the graphical concept of Crystal Shards tells me this wouldn't have been very good.

Will there ever be a fan game based on the best hedgehog?

wew

Hi 4chan.

Yes that's where we all came from, you caught us.

That's some bait you got there.

Well now I didn't exactly say they were shit. Most certainly were disappointing and mediocre however. Dream Land 3 and Crystal Shards are basically when the series got caught up in the idea that in addition to having an aesthetic that's appealing to children it should also be bland, boring, and easy to a fault.

Epic Yarn was straight up fucking garbage though.

imagine doing a find the lost chao mission on that stage

Gas yourself

I wish we could just kill the underage, tbh fam.

Please leave. Kirby has ALWAYS been easy. My five year old niece beat Adventure. It's ALWAYS attempted to appeal to that demographic, and it's NEVER stopped.

You sound like you just have an extreme case of nostalgia goggles and refuse to admit that you're just a retard with shit taste. Go back to 4chan. They'll appreciate your shit taste and nostalgic opinion more.

Here's your (You)

As opposed to yourself, who is of course from Reddit.

Imagine cheesing the Chao on that stage

That sounds like some projection there.

user, serious talk here: I've been around long enough to see this attitude kill multiple alternative *chans. Seeing it repeated so predictably would be depressing if I still had any hope left.

You're only hurting yourself here.

It's pretty shit in my opinion.
There's great potential but this demo has big problems.

The current level design of their Green Hill is terrible. There's a little flow in some spots but beyond that if you end up in the wrong spot you have to do a fair bit of back tracking and/or looking for a spot you can jump to or a hard to see tiny yellow spring.
If you could even just jump a little higher it wouldn't be as frustrating.
There's not a very good sense of direction either.

The other issue is that you're slow as shit considering the space you have to cover, and there is seemingly no way to build momentum.
You're constantly losing your momentum and the only way to go fast is to sit wait for 3-4 seconds while you charge peelout. And even if Sonic is doing the peelout animation while charging you can let go and find yourself running at normal speed. There's no proper indication.
And on top of that you lose the peelout speed in no time.

That's not all I can say, but those are more ideas for how to flesh out the concept, not critical problems with the demo.

If they address these issues we could have a great fan game on our hands.

I'm personally from YTMND

Don't fuck Tails

We sure had some fun times didn't we?

Roll down slopes you dingus.

That looks fast.

I do what I want

Oops, I'll test this

Fuck, why didn't they just do that? Sega's a bunch of dummy's

I'm gonna need the source on that crop.

I remember this dude he taunt me how to animate in Flash 8 a few years back. He also did the death battles series when it first started(First was Peach VS Zelda) That's when it was getting amazing quality

I don't have it, though I think it might actually be rule 63

Pretty excited for this one.

Fuck.

I'd honestly rather it die than be filled with people like you honestly. Dick jokes and being a contrarian fag is something 12 year olds do.

Found it…
Just wish I didn't have to browse through lots of gay sonic shit to find it.
And you're right, it is 63, that's what I was hoping for.

Don't be so optimistic. It's likely that Ooka Ehh will be delayed until the middle of 2017 (if it ever releases at all)

better than it being put on hold indefinitely like it was before.

Tails is the only reason to care about sanic tbh.

This looks like it has the potential to be everything 3d sonic should be. It's really rough right now, but mechanically, I have high hopes for this, if it can get level design right!

How long until C&D takedown?

Kill yourself.

Sega has been really cool about fan projects so probably never.

the world needs to be a little smaller, it overstays it's welcome too long and you can see the ideas running out.
or you could have a massive hubworld, and that world is separated by the "acts", so everything is technically connected, it's just that as you move forward, you move forward in the game as well.
however that requires for the scenery/mechanics/level design to change with each act, and each act would have to be short for progress saving and such.

Fuck off, retard.

Nah.

Fucking cancerous obnoxious shit.

hey

nah

plz respond

yeh

You ever heard about Air Ride Modoki?

I couldn't handle the concentrated fast that the game had. I have the game in my active library, all you fags need to do is host a server

I wish I could still play it, but the laptop that could barely run it died and my new old used netbook from someone else is running XP and can't play it at all. Why does all my 10 year old technology stop working?

I was just thinking that

Post it nigger.

Don't cocktease me you fucking slut, post it!

Not him, but first post here: e621.net/post/index/1/goggles rule_63 miles_prower breasts order:score

But it leads to furaffinity.net/view/9736788/ which I can't see because of some content filter, but feel free to create an account or whatever or use your existing FurAffinity account you sick fucks.

Found it, finally. I used archive.org to get it, but I almost registered a furaffinity account, thank fuck. I hate that fucking site now, you know you can't use "fuck" or "nigger" in your username? Yiff's fine, though. Oh, you also don't get to use mailinator, so I had to dig up one of my random secondary emails. Pain in the ass.

Because they like creating? In anycase, if they released it "anonymously" then people would know who made it anyway. All they have to say "I got a copy of the unfinished fangame before the CnD. Here you go!"

fug

But that's exactly what you do in Unleashed.

But that's exactly what you do in SRB2

did you know that you can charge peelout in midair?

Action 52 owns

I fucking LOVE this thing.

Thank you for telling me that

heres a bad .webm of the demo in OP
i could've done alot better, such as by not falling into the water near the end

Why are almost all 3d sonic fangames just sandbox test demos?

Most fangames are that because they never leave early development.

I'de rather have the 1 cake than sit through and be forced to eat a shitty cake.

You had 12MB to work with but only used 3. WHY?

No cake is better than a shit cake.

mechwarrior living legends is probably the best i've played.

AM2R is also solid.

Crusade looks like a pretty good Smash fangame. You can even choose alternate movesets for certain characters.

First world problems

i thought the file limit was still 8; i hadnt checked for a while

maybe ill upload a different run going through the gem cave later thats closer to 12 mb

if I was a starving African Child I'de rather die through malnutrition than eat a shitty tasting cake. :^)

did you know that if you activate and cancel it repeatedly you can fly?
It's pretty obviously not intentional, but you even flap your arms.

Mark is love.

It makes perfect sense to me, don't worry.

Fucking flag.