Platformer Thread

What it says on the box.

What platformers have you been playing?

Anything good on the horizon?

When will the genre stop being raped by indie pixelshit?

Can anyone name some good action platformers with fun and somewhat complex fighting systems?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wE4s417VZpw&t=2039s
dropbox.com/sh/7xxoj24621hm5qf/AABROixd185JRxJP1CSVUcbya?dl=0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Spark the Electric Jester is coming out soon but has a demo. I thought it was really fun, despite being rather easy.

ROCKET KNIGHT ADVENTURES > MR. GIMMICK > EVERYTHING ELSE

The newest kirby game, planet robobot, was really stellar. Easy, but a lot of fun

Reminder that Yoshi's Island is probably THE BEST platformer ever made

I miss 3D platformers so much

I thought klonoa was 2.5d?

whatever you get the point

Haha no, kys nintenyearold

I was just playing Banjo Tooie but Cloud Cuckland is probably the worst level the game has thrown at me, I can't be bothered finishing it anymore.

I'm personally surprised cloud cuckoo land is the worst level so far considering Jolly Roger's Lagoon is mostly underwater and underwater in Banjo Tooie is unbearable.

I'd say it's Tropical Freeze, but Yoshi's Island is definitely in the top 3.

what makes it so terrible?

Define "pixelshit"

low quality, low effort, shitty pixelart

Not that user but I think he refers to new indie games that try to look retro by using pixel art and sprites.

Usually the outcome looks faux-retro and retarded.

Like Fez?

Pretty much.

That's a good example.
lurk moar

Going to shill a bit here but Yooka-Laylee is coming out early 2017 and it looks great so far. The "toy box" shows some of the mechanics of the game and allows you to get an idea of how the controls are. Don't let the graphics distract you however because it's just placeholders until the product is finished.

Unfortunately only backers of the kick starter get to try it, but you can watch some stuff on Youtube and see how you feel about it.

I pirated this recently and surprisingly wasn't a letdown. Too bad it's early access.

looks cool, got a link?

The large outside area is poorly laid out, there are these annoying enemies that pop out the ground sometimes right underneath you with no warning causing you to lose life, the jiggy's so far have been too easy, especially for the last level, I think the best part was pushing the sentient Ice Cube off thinking he was going to fall onto the ice side of Hailfire peaks only for him to land on the lava side and die.

If I bothered to complete it I doubt I will think it's as bad as Jolly Roger but it's a disappointing turn considering the previous 2 levels were great.

Also the freedom the level gives you is a bit too much, it should have some kind of logical progression and then branch out, not just give you a fly pad and just have you fly around being unable to access the places you meet straight away.

As much effort in their art as they put into their game.

The best part about it is that it's releasing around the same time as a shit in time and that game looks like ass.

I pirated the toybox.

I just noticed the build I have is very outdated, I'll upload it to the vola and see if I can find a more recent version.

This looks like a straight-up Banjo-Kazooie clone.
Why should I play this again?

Are you retarded?

That's kind of the point. Even Grant Kirkhope is the composer

Sure, here some random guy that plays everything the "Toy Box" has to offer

youtube.com/watch?v=wE4s417VZpw&t=2039s

It was created to be a spiritual predecessor to the Banjo series

dropbox.com/sh/7xxoj24621hm5qf/AABROixd185JRxJP1CSVUcbya?dl=0

Is this the toy box? You're my fucking hero.

Yes, and I've used it, just click the download button on the right.

Thanks user, i really hope this game catches on with people when it comes out.

Same, I really want the 3D Platformer to make a comeback.

They didn't stop making them, and they met their height in terms of quality while they were apparently dead. I just hate this meme, it's as bad as the adventure game meme of the same nature.

I suppose you're right, I've played a few games here and there and they all still have the same charm.

As silly as it sounds, I'd like to see a "Dark Souls" of platforming though. I want a 3D Platfomer with inane (But fair) challenge.

Go kill yourself.

See but also, MMZ2 and MMZ3 on hard are pretty tough but fair.

But that user was talking about 3D platformers.

am2r seems like a lot of of fun. Not sure where I'd put it relative to other 2d metroids though. The dev(s) definitely put a lot of work into it but at the same time it is much more accessible than other games. You get things like the Spiderball and space jump very early which make exploration a whole heck of a lot easier.

This isn't fair.

I'm playing castlevania bloodlines and Dracula X for the snes. It's sad how I missed such amazing games, I only had the NES and a ps2 due to me always being broke.

I hope you guys will still like pixel art platformers, because I'm working on one.

Meh, maybe one day, But in the mean time I'm going to try out MMZ2/3

Captain Claw is very underrated, amazing OST, animations and super hard levels. The controls are perfect and the game's very replayable. It's a shame it wasn't more popular, at least Jazz 2 was popular, and man that game deserved it so much.

It's not even nostalgia, I played those 2 recently and I really love them a lot.

If your art actually works with retro hardware limitations such as limited palettes and resolution then i'm fine.

I'm new to pixel art so at the moment I'm just drawing placeholder sprites. What I know so far is that a lot of colors ruin pixel art, so it's best to use colors that actually matter and not shit all over an image. As for resolution I'm using 640x360 because the game has text to display pretty often.

It's not really imitating the real hardware limitations, but I hope it looks good. What I need to learn is more about colors, how to make good palettes. So far I just had one single palette for everything, every object and player, with about 5 variations of each color. Not sure if it's wise or not.

Look at the original La-Mulana for a good example of pixel art without many colors best of luck.

No, stop. This is just being pedantic and retarded. Do whatever looks nice, and keep it coherent.

I'll look at La-Mulana and the old castlevania games since that's what I like the most.

I just can't believe how amazing bloodlines looks, it's hard to not appreciate the effort into drawing all of that especially considering how hard it was to make games decades ago.

No you don't. Salt and Sanctuary or Apotheon, take your pick.

Please leave you uneducated cunt.

oh FUCK YEAH, that game is the GOAT

The new La Mulana doesn't use a palette. Everything is just fucking photographed and blended in. They've shown this process in a few of their dev videos. There's more than 256 colors on some bosses alone.

i'm fine with unrestricted pallets and resolution, so long as it doesn't use that retarded as fuck smooth shader shit that conflicts with the pixel art.

Uhh, what? I need to check out how they do it.

We are talking about the original one, can't you read?

You said original in
Other user said "La Mulana" in and didn't specify.

ALSO

You made no contribution to the conversation. You came in here just to tell me to fuck off.
Grade A posts, user.

Ohh, these graphics and music are better than sex. I really appreciate the hard work that was put into this game.

I'm sorry, were your feefees hurt? You gonna report me now?

No, you're a fucking idiot and I'm hiding your posts.

hahahaha look at this faggot

Not even the original version is a good example of pixel art.

I'd nominate Shovel Boy and Owl Knight as the best new pixel art games, although both games cheat, but at this point that's not an issue.

That audio though.

It's supposed to emulate platformers for the PC-88 and the first MSX, what did you expect?.

I know, it's 80 kbps to fit in the file size. But it has an amazing ost. Thought I have to say, I think Shantae looks much much better than Shovel Knight.

Someone said it was a good example of pixel art when it wasn't, that's my point, not what hardware limitations exist, it either is or it isn't.

The tune itself is good but it's just not built well for that Genesis sound chip.

Don't care, I actually love the "metallic" sound of genesis games.

Just because you think it isn't, that doesn't make it a fact. Opinions are subjective on most regards.

Zelda 2 has good combat. The mix of attacking and defending both high and low, combined with later abilities to thrust upward and downward while in the air are typical NES limited controls that give way to some good fucking fun. The platforming is a bit less stellar, since there are constant instant-death traps and limited lives but if you use save states you could save yourself some rage at restarting back at the Northern Palace.

It works but it doesn't work universally across all games, my point is that that tune doesn't sound like it's composed to the genesis soundchip's strengths.

remove nostalgia goggles.

I've been speedrunning Chuck Rock II, and I really think it's a great underrated platformer. Hitboxes are awful, but it's really pretty for a Genesis game and it's got boppin' tunes. Someone please back me up.

What's wrong with its art?

Chucl Rock 1 has a very metal main theme.

did you find a more recent version?

It's not a good example of pixel art, I never said it doesn't work but if you want to look at good examples of good pixel art you can do a hell of a lot better.