NES General

Hi Holla Forums, since i just heard this piece of shit (pic related) exists, what is the best NES Emulator? I wanna play some classics. Namely Sunsoft (Mr. Gimmick, the Batman games, Blaster Master,) Konami (Mega Man, Castlevania, Bomberman, Tiny Toons, TMNT 2, ) and of course, Nintendo games (Mario, Zelda, Pro Wrestling, Punch Out! and Balloon Fight.) Help is apreciated.

Other urls found in this thread:

beepbox.co
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Nestopia

Don't pretend to be an elitist if you can't even figure out how to emulate. That's called being a clueless mongoloid.

play Recca and Guardian Legend.

Im not pretending to be anything…. so why the fuck did you write this?

Nestopia is the best, Recca with Sprite limit disabled is fucking beautiful btw, also check

thanks user!

The only problem with Nestopia is that some fan translations doesn't work with it, most notable Konami titles.
However, you can fix that by editing the database.

Don't forget Joy Mech Fight if you want to play a hard as balls fighting game.

puNES, Nestopia, FCE Ultra, Mednafen
any of these are fine, NES has been very well emulated for a long time now.

get a job

lol, get a load of this guy.

SBC, put in NES case, get USB controller, same fucking thing.

Better yet, get a Hi Def NES and a flashcart.

That list sounds like a Metal song.

honestly ive yet to run in to any problems with any nes emulators, im not even sure why nesticle has a bad reputation. but you should be aware that it has a bad reputation, if you didnt know.

VirtuaNES is alright, though I couldn't figure out how to run Famicom games on it. I guess it's very picky about the BIOs that you use. Aside from that, though, it's a lightweight emulator that runs well.

"Lightweight" as in it's light on the features but the functionality is solid.
Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2
Zelda II Adventure of Link
Kid Icarus
Peter Pan and the Pirates
Super Mario Bros (obviously)
Battletoads fuck off with your memes god damnit
Dr. Mario
Mega Man II
Ghosts 'N Goblins
Castlevania I and II with the patches
Final Fantasy III

All these games get my vote for "must play" NES titles

Nobody seriously plays NES titles nowadays. They are too limited and don't hold up.
Nintendo's lookalike is just a funny gimmick to place next to the TV.
With PC/phone emulator you lose the entire point of that.

Leave and never come back

Even C64 was superior to NES, because of its huge amount of RAM. The first worthwhile console was the Super NES.
Sitting down with extremly limited NES games and playing them through without childhood retro goggles isn't going to work.

C64 is the only worthwhile 8 bit system. The Apple II comes second. The rest is a joke.
From a game quality PoV (not limiting devs in creativity, proper toolchains etc.) 16 bit is the way to go: Amiga, PC-DOS, SEGA Genesis, SNES.

Play Astyanax

Disregarding an entire console generation because you think the games are "dated and don't hold up" would be understandable if you were talking about the 2nd gen like Atari 2600 or something, but disregarding the NES and co. makes you look like an uneducated child. Furthermore i would like to know if you have ever played any of the games that i listed here which i doubt.
Also would you care to list me C65 games that were as influential to the industry as a whole like those on the NES. Aside fromba few exceptions like Turrican, IK+ or Mayhem in Monsterland, most C64 games are utterly simplistic and more reminisxent of early NES games (Balloon Fight, DK, etc) that used low storage cartridges than anything, and even those games were unheard of outside Europe. Not to mention that the publishing standards on the C64 were a lot lower than on consoles, with a ton of releases bordering or being unplayable kusoges, that is not to say that the NES didn't have any bad games but if the AVGN were to review C64/ZX games he would have a thousand episodes by now.

C64 and Apple II had gems like Maniac Mansion in 1987, which got a shitty NES port three years later in fucking 1990.
If you didn't play NES games when they came out, they have no appeal. Nothing more than being short due to the memory limits and Nintendo Hard to prolong the inevitable exhaust of content.

And the port for NES was censored due to Nintendo policies.

Maniac Mansion? That's all you got? I'm done with you.

Prince of Persia is another noteworthy 8 bit game, originally made for Apple II, which appeared as inferior port on the Gameboy/NES three years later (and as a superior one on the 16 bit SNES), censored of course.

GENESIS DOES

Different generation, idiot.

Bump

What's it like being hipster?

i never heard anything about it since its release. is there anything wrong with its emulation? at least i suppose it is emulation and not the real deal because of production costs.

seems to be made for people that are too lazy or unwilling to figure out emulation themselves and just want a convenient way to try out some of the more famous NES games. dont let it rub you the wrong way, but this kinda sounds like you.
if you can get it used at a really, really cheap price, why not?

I think it's because you listed games by the publisher and started off with mr. gimmick

Any notable game was ported back then.
From 1985 to about 1992 Amiga usually had the best version, then PC became superior.

Again, any worthwhile games from that era have been ported to literally dozens of platforms. Before "exclusive deals" became a thing much later, only first party software was specific to a platform.

This is how to tell you're underage. The whole point of Sega's slogan was because, at the time, Genesis was meant to compete with the Nes which later ended up competing with the Snes (Similar to the 3DO meaning to compete with the Snes/Genesis and later competing with the ps1/sat/n64/jag). Genesis came out in 89 which was two years before the SNES, so at the time Genesis did what Nintendo didn't by offering a 16 bit experience before the competition. You my friend are a fucking retard.

And yet every shitty SMB clone on Europe's most popular 8-bit micros had to run from screen-to-screen. If only C64 programmers could scroll the screen, they could've had a shot against the audiovisuals of NES.

How can you look at pixelated shit like this and then look at the gorgeous games we have now and go, "Yeah, I want to play the pixelated mess." Fucking hipsters, man. Sage

One of those is not like the other. Amiga had a higher price than Atari, and inferior audiovisuals to IBM. It also wasn't particularly good for desktop publishing like Macintosh was, nor did it have any nice features like Atari ST's native MIDI.

I'll have to chalk up Amiga's limited success in the late 1980s to Europe's shit taste in PCs at the time.

And a better EGA version on IBM in 1988. Prince of Persia also played just fine on NES and even better picture and sound on Genesis.

You're conveniently forgetting how the opposite of what you're describing happened with Tengen's Tetris and Hudson Soft's conversion of Lode Runner, both of which had much better versions on NES than the home computers of the decade.

Why are Sega autists still so fucking annoying after all these years.

Some of us like to play games, and not just watch a gorgeous movie.

This got shot down by Nintendo legal.

IBM didn't even have a fucking sound chip in 1985 and CGA was joke for games.

What a waste of talent tbh

They won iirc, right?

They're not. Nintentoddlers are.

t. Nintentoddler.

That looks like pure pandamonium.

Why were those even necessary? I thought C64 devs, working on such a superior system and everything, wouldn't need to steal from others like a bunch of jackals.

Also stealing a game that was already outdated by the time that clone came out kek.

Arkista's Ring is also pretty cool

EGA was released the year before Amiga. The Roland MT-32 would be released in 1987, but only for devices with MIDI out, which I'm afraid ruled out inferior systems like the entire Amiga line.

EGA could only display 16 colors at a time yes?

Oh dear, EGA games looked on par with Amiga despite having half the available colors? That's not good.

It isn't?

It doesn't really matter which emulator you use. NES emulation has been going on for decades, and it's basically been perfected at this point.

Consider Journey to Silius by Sunsoft. Would-be Terminator game that's actually a Terminator game that they slapped the plot of "Terrorists with a Space Station" when they lost the license. Good music, alright gameplay (with a shit difficulty curve and shit final level), good graphics. It's not a must-play, but it's something to consider looking into.

I never get tired of listening to this webm.

How would you guys feel about someone trying to make nuNES games? I'm thinking of doing some basic games since I'm still only new to development and I'll be handling it all solo, so stuff like limiting myself to an NES palette, 4 channels of sound for BGM (one of them noise) and a d-pad and four buttons for controls would help me prevent feature creep or something maybe.

Why not take advantage of the extra channels that could be added on the FC and make two arrangements of your OST like Castlevania 3 and Gimmick did?

Why the fuck was my post deleted just now?

MIG-29 Soviet Fighter is also a good choice. It's a game that alternates between topdown shoot-em-up and faux 3d, with the simple and unabashed task of shooting down commie scum.

Also,
BLADES OF STEEL
Probably one of the best goddamned hockey games to date. I feel a little odd suggesting a sports game, but anything where you can get into fistfights isn't a bad thing. Don't go for it if hockey isn't your thing.

It's admirable that you want to take steps to avoid feature creep, but I'd suggest coming up with some mechanics to implement first. Would you want to invoke things like sprite limits and memory constraints if you were to make a NES-styled game?

Honestly, audio is my weakest area so limiting the amount of time spent making tunes would be a blessing. I found this website which I can use to make some semi-decent tunes.
beepbox.co

Why not make homebrew of NES? That way you're forced to work with the limitations. The only way to look authentic is to be authentic. That's why games, films, and music that try to look and sound old always have something off about them.

You know how fucking expensive that shit was? Amiga was an actually affordable PC with reasonable multimedia capabilities.

Listen what DICE did back then.

Sounds like the Mother Brain room from Metroid 1.

I was blown away seeing this on a 286 with 12 MHz. It also used the special 320x400 VGA mode with 256 colors.

I'm only 31, and my oldest computer was a Pentium 120 MHz running Wangblows 95. Had a Soundblaster II card, but I was mostly on consoles so the computer wasn't used for gaymen back then. Nowadays it's of course the opposite, I might buy a console but it's used few and far between and my real passion is PC games.

Speaking of which, Dark Souls III expansion in 2 days bro!

get the fuck out

Doyou like gay ass? Gay as??

No, I don't
Also, I have been emulating stuff since I was 7, with English not being my native tongue and browsing ROM hacking English-speaking forums since like 12.
If OP cannot figure out how to download a simple program, do a bit of research on what's considered good and run a game, he is a retard

You should get Nestopia, probably, now get the fuck out

I was a poorfag and couldn't even afford TV consoles (a TVs alone) back then.
But one could drag completely outdated PCs out of the local garbage dump. So I happened to play a game released in 1992 on a toaster from the mid to late 1980s.

Why nmto???

I didn't even realize the dog was drinking out of a lord vessel until I looked at the screenshots for the expansion today. That's a priceless artifact, not a fucking dog dish.

Gay ass!!!!

Sorry, don't have any idubbbz.

Haha yeah dude got the Gay Ass :)

Metroid > Any other NES game

Prove me wrong. Here's a hint, you can't. Just like Super Metroid was the best SNES game.

Nestopia Undead Edition

What is Metroid?

Fuck you, ya right cunt, you ain't gonna troll me.

That's on the standard IBM PC speaker? Damn.
I mainly watch that video for the jump from the PCjr to the Adlib. And the LAPC-1 after that sounds beautiful.

top 3 certainly but pic related is my GOTYAY

Yeah, it's a pretty simple PWM algorithm to convert the beeper into a 6 bit DAC. Demoscene and gamedevs pulled off stuff like that all the time during the 80s and early 90s.

This is how i can tell that you have played barely any NES games, i bet you think Zelda is also one of the best when Willow and Crystalis exist kek.

Faxanadu is better than all the above.

I grew up with the NES, fucker. I know good games. Metroid was off the fucking chain. I bet you can't even do a shine spark or a mock ball. BITCH.

Nigger i still have my faxanadu cart, Crystalis is better deal with it.

You ever play Lufia? It's SNES, I know, but pretty good.

I'll check that out, thanks for the suggestion, i always like me some classic action adventure games.