God-Tier Playstation 2 Games

Post what PS2 game(s) really had an impact on you. It would be nice if you post the box art of the game you suggest also.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/Bgzse
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I've never played either of the two, but will at some point later this week. Also, one of my favorites

Make sure you get the Subsistence version for MGS2.

This game ended up setting up a standard for me that not many other rhythm games have been able to meet.

Pcfag here who only got interested in emu recently? Can somebody explain to me why some people describe the Yakuza games as "too Japanese" and what might potentially turn off Westfags from the game.

Don't mind the shitty punctuation marks. I need to sleep soon.

I've always disliked the games because they're clunky as shit.

Also, PS2 emulation is shit.

No one's posted Ace Combat yet? The fuck are you all doing.

So what's the difference between MGS2 on PS2 compared to the Xbox outside skating?

The skateboarding was only on PS2. Substance has a ton of VR missions.

How clunky? Can you be more specific?

It's not as good as the PC version but still the best DE experience on consoles.

Best version

Gamecube was just the same but with two discs

As a user of PCSX2, this thread is going to come in handy very soon. Thanks guys.

My nigga.

The first game has very stiff controls and you can't turn mid-attack, so fighting multiple enemies at once can be frustrating. Getting attacked by thugs in the street also throws you into a 30-45 second load screen each time (though it's more like ~5 seconds on emulator) . Yakuza 2 is a drastic improvement in almost every way. Yakuza 1 is still worth playing for the story and great amount of side-content, but especially for the English dub. All games after 1 are subbed Japanese, but the Eng dub for 1 is the stuff of legend.

Patrician taste, buddy.

Why do the Japanese like to pull this kind of shit? Gee, we've got a character who dropped out of 2nd grade, makes his living from being a woodcutter, and his hobbies include bar-room brawling and chainsaw sculpting; what kind of job should we give him? I know! Let's make him a black mage!

But he's the leading man!

It's probably because they're cutscene heavy or are set in Japan with hostess clubs and pachinko parlors, along with minigames like mahjong. It's probably the reason why it never caught on in the west until now, along with the fact that barely anyone knew it existed for the longest time. I personally didn't know it existed until Dead Souls or 4 and didn't even get around to playing them until I emulated the original this year, and I wonder if many other people were in the boat.

Manhunt 1 was a really brutal stealth/action game that certainly was a surprise from Rockstar, it's only real flaw is that it falls apart near the end because of it's focus on gunplay instead of brutal executions.

I absolutely adored this game. It was pure arcade fun. Shortcuts that AI would even take, cars with fun designs, and a cheeky announcer made this an underrated game in my book.

Manhunt on PC has a kind of dead/active but really fucking slow modding community. Because of them I'd suggest its PC version

The game everyone forgets

Xbox versions has bouts of slowdown as Konami couldn't into the Xbox. Xbox does have 480p support and in-game 5.1 audio.

Skateboarding was supposed to be in that version but Konami left it out.

For shame.

Did they actually change her in game model too?

Oh yeah, i would

I take it the title of the thread has no connection to the content of your post.

Reminder that if you're going to emulate Shadow of Rome to use build 5903 or 5902 to avoid cutscene stutter.

Underrated PS2 gem.
Spiritual successor to Shenmue, great story and lots of side stuff to do.

Gladiator Rtf Remix is voiced in English with most menus being in English text, the JP menus can be easily figured out by trial and error.

WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO MY Holla Forums????

They gained good taste.

DQ8 is the only ps2 game i'd replay now

smh tbh

Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts: Covenant. The latter has much more of an impact if you play it after the first one, as it follows the bad ending. Being Yuri is suffering.

The third PS2 game, Shadow Hearts: From the New World isn't bad either (it's actually got the most refined combat, and graphics too if you care a lot about that), but is a side game and more on the light-and-quirky side than being dark.

Always nice to see some Wild Arms 3 love around.

Got those on my backlog, but I think I might get more out of the series if I go for IMOQ first. Unfortunately those are really expensive and right now I don't have a means of playing downloaded PS2 games (working on it though).

I thought it had more to do with Sega not knowing how to market the series right to do well out here; "Japanese GTA" or whatever.

I still have no clue how that shot up from $40 to $160 in the last couple of years.

Rogue Galaxy is fairly easy to find these days, at least where I live. Might help that with it being put on the PS4's Playstation store, people have traded in some of their copies which are now floating around for $15-20 complete.

At least choose something that isn't blown out of the water by other versions of same shit.

looking back, its hard to believe that game was on the ps2. at the time it was about what you would expect out of the system, but when you look at the ps3 its hard to tell the difference sometimes.
technology is really stagnant

You have 10/10 taste user

Racing games

I also liked these

More

forgot one

Yeah yeah, a licensed anime game, but I played the hell out of it. Tons of fun with the different symbols.

Game had a rockin' OST to boot.

Fuck yeah. Loved these 2 myself.

Why the fuck wasn't SH3 released on the sexbox?

Rogue Galaxy stinks

I would have said the exact opposite. The game is a miserable slog of watching the same long kill animations over and over but picks up and salvages itself half-way through when you get guns and have no more kill animations.

did they do the scratch and sniff thing too?

meanwhile, Unreal falls over on a fucking PS4 with gigabytes of RAM

Yeah I never experienced game breaking performance issues with the ps2.

Developers did a lot more with a lot less on consoles ps2 and before.

When the ps2 was reaching its limits for what it could process it just slowed the game down, which kinda made things dramatic as opposed to the ps3 and ps4 that stutter if you're lucky and freeze if you're average.

Could be asked of a number of series where one or more main entries were multiplat (or went multiplat in the same generation) but other ones stayed on the original console system. Why was MGS2: Substance on both PS2 and Xbox, but MGS3 was PS2 only? Why were Fatal Frame I and II PS2 and Xbox while Fatal Frame III was just PS2?

Has hell frozen over? I upscaled to Total Warrior image, if it obvious.>Destroy

The PC port is a completely different game. I wouldn't be suprised if the bug of not being able to have pictures and an embed in the same post.

Of course it still is.

We live only to suffer

step it up senpai

Gurren Lagann has a PS2 game?

Here you go lads. Thank me later.
archive.is/Bgzse

shame that never get an option for Karin to do a playthrough in her officer uniform

Hey, I have that game. Managed to get up to the mission where I start with a car, then dropped it to use the save file so I could get FreeMcBoot.

Yeah, I would have kind of liked that as an unlockable since the game fiddled with the idea of alternate outfits for the girls. I do wish they were a menu selectable thing rather than an outright non stat boosting equip though.

I have to say, this is the most patrician taste thread I've seen in a long while.

Except you

I wish this era would come back

That second outfit, goddamn

Yeah, that's the "dating outfit" you can get if you do a trading sidequest properly. If memory serves a character from the prior game will give it to you to equip Karin with.

The Shadow Hearts series came out and also came west at the right time; not sure if the games would come over intact, if at all these days (given how much they revel in being dark and just plain weird). If you ask me, they've had some refuge in obscurity.

Sixth gen struck a nice cord if you ask me. Graphics for 3D were better than they'd been in 5th gen, but there was still room for both colorful, cartoony games along with more realistic ones (contrast with the push towards realism and brown and bloom in 7th gen), as well as there being more room for AA development (whereas these days it's mostly AAA and indie). Also seemed like more risks were being taken with ideas for games, and on the localization front, while not without some shit-tier jobs at times (AT2, for a good example), it seemed like things were in a better place for 6th and some of 7th gen than they are now. I mean, for fuck's sake, Square had a Native American styled class replaced in the western release of Bravely Second as if to say Indians have no place in a western JRPG release, despite Wild Arms 3 and Shadow Hearts: From the New World having done just fine with them (the former of which was even translated back in the day by Squaresoft).

Good taste.

Always wanted to play Steamboat Chronicles. I remember seeing the box art for it years ago and skipping it because of money issues. I think I might give it a try.

just finished Zero on PCSX2 (never played any other AC games)

god this game is godlike, it's better than MGS3

Steambot Chronicles is still a bit pricy these days, probably since it's been one of those games Atlus didn't print many copies of but has grown somewhat in popularity and demand over time.

Seambot is one of those action RPGs where there's just so much shit to do. A surprising amount of shit to do. Get comfy and settle in, because you can burn away an entire weekend on it.