Was the NES ever pushed to its limits during its lifetime...

Was the NES ever pushed to its limits during its lifetime? What game out of its library would you say pushed the NES to its limits the most?

Other urls found in this thread:

filedropper.com/mrgimmick
filedropper.com/vib-ribbonost
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What is NES?

Nipponese Eccentric Sailors

A miserable pile of bad games

There are plenty of NES games that push it to the limits. There is Recca and there is also Downtown Special.

Probably anything that uses MMC5 *I'd imagine anyway.**

Gimmick! is probably one of the most technologically advanced games for the NES. Released really late in its life-cycle and was intended to compete with 16-bit consoles.

It has a great soundtrack with almost no sound clipping, good spritework with no megaman-esque flickering, and a (for the time) surprisingly advanced physics system with object interactions

That is pretty damn impressive. If it weren't for the color limitations it could pass for a 16 bit title.

This is neat but there are different aspects to being "technologically advanced". Megaman for example had parallax backgrounds which were technically "impossible" on the NES, but megaman used a ridiculous TV scanline trick to achieve it.

Such an amazing soundtrack. Can't believe it never got a proper release.

Getting the true ending was hard as balls. You can grind the level 5 secret area for infinite lives though if you have the patience (which I didn't).

I'd say ROM City Rampage does a pretty good job of pushing it, but you could say it's not part of the NES' lifetime.

Most consoles before the 6th gen were pushed to their limits, unlike the ones today.

it's emulated but it really is this fast on actual hardware.
couldn't find a 60fps video captured from nes/fami.

I came here to post this, even if this is technically famicom and was never ported to the NES sadly.

The best games were made in C for PC during the 90s. DOOM for example.

Recca, Gimmick and Moon Crystal.

The NES library in general is super impressive considering original games were all smaller sizes (until FDS and big cartridge tech) and only had. early games were Arcade-like and had only a black BG. Emulators emulate NES games in feature levels

Cool games include Rad Racer and 3D World Runner for having very neat 3D effects. Metal Storm, and Battle Toads. Kirby was pretty advanced.

I remember one game had 2 background layers going on at once somehow but I forget which.

Doom's engine was only partially written in C though, it was also written in assembly.

Maybe they wouldn't run so bad.

It doesn't matter because the enemies don't shuffle along at 60fps.

It's a semantical difference, they were the exact same hardware.

The wireframes are 2D sprites.

This was starfox before starfox was starfox?

No. It's a trading simulator. Totally different from a rail shooter.

Star Fox is an on rails shooter. This is a full 3D space flight sim where you can discover a huge universe, mine minerals, trade, shoot at pirates, etc.
Basically it's NuMale's Sky with more content, less pretentious garbage, and on the NES.

There's a difference, faggots. Besides, vid related was Starfox before Starfox on the NES.

holy shit, how did they pull this off? Looks amazing imo.

I don't recall, but they even improved it later on with another game.

Raster effect and voice synth? Fucking amazing considering.

Little Samson had awesome sprites

This is the banner that appeared right when I cliked this thread.

I like how the birds in the background aren't only graphical and actually make a slight noise when they're on-screen.

I gotta get a 3DS VC cia of this shit

That a nice video and a nice game.

Elite is everything No Man's Sky couldn't be, 30 years earlier.

Let me tell you about a little game called Metal Slader Glory

Metal Slader?

What's Cing up to these days?

when's the translation coming out?

They died 6 years ago.

They split off but a large portion came back together to make Chase: Unsolved Cases Investigation Division - Distant Memories

This is the answer. This game pulled out some new tools/tech. It is pretty much the last NES game.

Sunsoft must have made a deal with a devil to make amazing limit pushing games for the NES. their talent didn't seem to carry over to the 16 bit days unfortunately. Treasure took that torch.

Man, Gimmick's soundtrack just triggers feelings of days gone by. The time of having not a care in the world and just playing Nintendo in my youth.

Holy fucking shit. These games are blowing my mind. No idea the NES was capable of this. I should be writing this down.

Quality NES lore on display here. We should do this again sometime.

not to take away from what Megaman did, it's very impressive, but any 2600 game that anyone actually remembers used the scanline trick.

Basically, the 2600 was only made to make games like Pong – two simple sprites, and two balls or bullets. Anything more complex than that was extreme technical trickery that rendered scanline by scanline.

Several NES games had parallax scrolling. Funny that the system couldn't really do multiple backgrounds layers, so they were faked with sprites.

Crash when

never

normalfags pre-orders and buy DLC en masse.

Or for something that isn't Jap only, Gun Nac.

Nah, most of today's "consoles" are probably being push to their limit, it's just nobody can be assed to design a game around the hardware anymore, so the games are often unoptimized as fuck.

Consoles haven't been technologically relevant for decades, PCs are what matter. It's like watching a bunch of gayass french on bicycles instead of nascar.

I'm in love. That music brings happyness to my cold, dead heart.

This looks fantastic; thanks for bringing it to my attention.

How's the english translation? Did it get fucked over by the treehouse?

PC's have for the most part always been technologically superior, that doesn't really mean shit fam.

Kirby's Adventure is still quite impressive to look at in a lot of places, and (artstyle/8-bit vs. 16-bit aside) more impressive than its Nightmare in Dream Land remake in some respects. NiDL doesn't feature Butter Building's revolving towers, for instance.

Captain skyhawk was pretty impressive. Not the best but still worth congratulation.

You are a faggot.

start browsing /vr/

Did you find one?

Damn, the design and attention to detail are impressive by any standards, let alone having to squeeze them out of 8 bit hardware.

This is pretty smooth and well crafted, yeah, but I wouldn't call it pushing NES to its limits.

Apparently Yoshi was to much to handle on the nes but the super mario bros 3mix mod it shows that it could.

Clicked on the thread to post that video, hivemind is real

Wasn't there a bootleg Super Mario World that featured Yoshi too? A rideable companion for a Mario game would seem braindead simple to me.

Seven years after its initial release on the BBC Micro.
Those were console ports…

It IS too much to handle, it's glitchy. It wouldn't have gotten the Seal of Quality, which was required to release an official NES game.

user, Super Mario World always featured Yoshi. That's the game he was introduced in.

Additional hardware inside the cartridge as always.
"Run on NES" is really a stretch for late carts.

"late" as in 1986. Out-of-the-box NES/Famicom tech hit its limit by the time the Disk System add-on was made. Afterwards, every offical game used some sort of added chip for memory and boosted tech

Its glitchy because it is a hack.

Oh, you weren't being serious.

Which is actually a plus. As the games became better and more advanced you didn't need a new system, because the games were the upgrades themselves. They also didn't usually cost more than they were worth.

Though you could build a cartridge, which runs GTA V on NES.

You couldn't

This, although why the trend of enhancing carts stopped at the NES is a mystery, bar the maybe 3 or so SNES enhancement chips

Half serious, the seal of quality thing was a jest but I do think that a glitchy result doesn't count as pushing the hardware to it's limits. It being a hack is not an excuse..

Because it was expensive as shit to have them produced. Even shit like sram and additional rom for drove up the price upwards to $100 ($160 adjusted for inflation) for a game, and nobody wants to drop that kind of cash on a game. That's why listings for RPGs were so expensive on the SNES.

Cost might be a factor, since special chip games got profoundly expensive in the 16-bit era. That, and possibly the versatility of the systems themselves to push their limits far longer.

Not counting the addons of CD and 32X to Gen/MD, Sega only had the chip made for the Virtua Racing port and the planned other 3D arcade conversions.

Meanwhile, Nintendo used some enhancement chips for the SNES starting even close to launch, like Pilotwings. Almost all special chips for the system were specialized for a specific task:

-DSP1-4 for bitmap rotation, conversion, etc. enhancement, many to make Mode7 effects stronger
-Super FX1&2 + Capcom's Cx4 for fancy poly creations with some added sprite manipulation effects
-SETA's ST chips for added AI
-OBC-1 for more sprite effects (used only in the Super Scope game Battle Clash and its sequel)
-Hudson's real-time clock chip and SPC series for the timer + some data compression

The 2 big late-game enhancers were Nintendo's SA1 and the S-DD1. The SA1 was the big catch-all chip that boosted the clockspeed, added memory allocations and compression, timer, and added copyright protection. This was only used in over 2 dozen titles. The S-DD1, which used heavy data compression, was only used in Star Ocean 1 and Street Fighter Alpha 2 to stuff all those graphics.

It should be noted, however, that the amount of chip-enhanced SNES games is still small in comparison to how many added chip NES games there were. Consider that many graphically/technically outstanding/impressive titles like Axelay, Demon's Crest, the DKC series, and Square & Enix's RPGs didn't have such enhancements, outside of more memory storage.

I don't mean to break your heart buddy but-
That's a background

It's less "The NES isn't capable of handling Yoshi" than it is "The NES couldn't implement Yoshi as well as Miyamoto envisioned it enough to his liking– at least during the active development of the first 3 games" Obviously, the first SMB would have run into problems having Yoshi without chugging the framerate moving his big sprite with Mario along plus everything else (just look at how busy things get with Bowser and his hammers in the later castles). The hack shown also hides how the amount of enemies onscreen is cut down with the Yoshi stage. Possibly having Yoshi available to appear in certain stages of SMB.3, with it's better memory chip, would have brought in too much flicker and slowdown. Later, better chips could have handled it better, but after SMB.3, Miyamoto's team was already working on World, anyway.

By the way, that bootleg Mario World mentioned was done after the SNES was out to sell to countries that couldn't afford the new system. It broke up the game into 2 carts and did suffer when riding Yoshi– but bootleggers don't care for high levels of polish, anyway.

smooth comeback tbh fam

Every, not shitcopyware game, was extremely hard to develop and very optimised. Just look at the tricks they had to do to get sprites to split the right way to re-use them in other objects. Development was extremely hard and timeconsuming. And by this hardware constraint only, we have the purest games ever to be made.
But to actually answer your question: I think Gimmick and Zelda had some expensive extrachips in the cardridge to do some new feature. Zelda had saves, and Gimmick had a soundchip. Might be wrong though.
And some games layered palettes in a weird way so they could get more colour on sprites, but that taxed the prosessor so they did some frame replacement tricks to compensate… and so on. This shit is really interesting if you are an autist (or like videogamehistory).

filedropper.com/mrgimmick

I was bored so I downloaded, normalized the volume levels and made it an .aac file

Also did Vib Ribbon since I saw it mentioned 4 days ago

filedropper.com/vib-ribbonost

No, it was more like Nintendo wanted to sell SNES consoles and so if you wanted to ride Yoshi you would have to fork over the money for it.

The NES had plenty of games with vehicles and ride able beasts. There was nothing special about Yoshi that couldn't have been handled on the NES.

Thanks for joining the NES thread so you could let us know about PC!

you could but the cart itself would be more powerful than your PC

Flicker was a fact of life with NES games. What is your fucking point? Yoshi also had more colors on the SNES than the NES could do at once or in conjunction with the other colors being used on the screen. Yoshi could have been done all the same whether with four colors for his entire sprite or with occasional flickering from too many sprites on one line. It would be playable and a suitable experience on the NES.

It not being "good enough" for Miyamoto was bullshit to sell the SNES, which was brand new at the time. Do you worship Nintendo or something and not realize that despite making some great games and systems they are the jewiest console company of them all?

You couldn't, there's bus and architectural limitations to take into account. An NES cart that could play GTA V wouldn't need to be plugged into an NES anymore, the NES would be a useless device.

How fast could the cartridge slot even transfer data? No way it would be anywhere near PCI speeds, and PCI was outdated a decade ago.

Wasn't Yoshi's Cookie released forst on the NES?

Indeed
Nope. They put away games and buy new releases before DLC even is ready. Whales and completionist autists get fleeced with DLC.

Of course. "Runs on NES" doesn't have any meaning on a cartridge-based system which can be expanded with any technology.

This
Let's make /vr/ great again

/vr/ bounced back in popularity a little while ago, so it would be a good time to start using it.

You're kidding.

Learn the difference.

The problem started when consoles shifted focus from being stable to
If consoles today could offer games that were 100% guaranteed to work and not be buggy pieces of trash the second you put it in your system with no install times, then there would be a reason to have a console.

As long as consoles try to be PCs of course they're going to fail.

Is there any SNES game that pushed the system to its limits?

They do.

willow is one of those games that acted as proof why these games need to be played on a CRT

ICK

if you think the NES lore is impressive wait 'til you discover the genesis

Imo one of the few things consoles have had the edge on was the music, dedicated sound chips sounded better than shitty MIDIs that couldn't be optimized for everyone. Of course that's irrelevant nowadays.

Why should I care about piece of junk older than me lmao

not a real NES game but ROM City Rampage

Doesn't look like the NES has much of a demoscene, I don't think the hardware lends itself to being abused in strange ways.

There's this nes game that had extremely fast scrolling but usually in 1 direction at a time. Forgot its name.

Bio Force Ape?

Just tried out Crisis Force, the parallax scrolling at the end of the first level creates a really nice 3d effect. Really fast shooter that looks great.

I didn't say it would be better, I scoffed at it being "barely functional" when a hack clearly shows it functioning perfectly fine.

I also scoff at the retarded notion that Nintendo wouldn't have been able to release Super Mario World on the SNES just because it puts a rideable Yoshi in an NES cart.

I laugh at your naivety concerning Nintendo's motives as well, which was the main item being discussed. They didn't put Yoshi on the NES because they wanted to sell the SNES, and the SNES indeed had a slow adoption rate for the first three years it was out.

Clearly a simple rom hack (plus far more fantastic achievements in third party NES titles) shows that Yoshi was indeed not hard to implement on the NES and that either Nintendo was incompetent or lying. There is no other way for you. Your bullshit about Super Mario World not being released has nothing to do with what Nintendo claimed, which is that Yoshi magically was some future super technological achievement only possible on their new super powerful Super Nintendo Entertainment System (buy one now.)

What's it like being this stupid or naive that you believe PR bullshit from Nintendo?

Are you the kind of person who thinks pushing something it its limits means fancy graphics?