Self-imposed Challenges

How do you make your viddiegames more challenging, beyond playing on the hardest difficulty? Is there a joke character/weapon/item that you use despite its inferiority? Is there a character build/strategy that is suboptimal, but creates an interesting challenge? For me, I've been playing Sonic Riders again:

Medal of Honor: Frontline also comes to mind, where there are cheats to make enemies invisible, only die to headshots, and all enemy bullets are one-shot kills

Mega Man X5 was a pretty meh and easy game.
So I decided to do an unarmored X, no deaths, buster only run.
It made me love the game more.

MGS nonlethal, no tranqs

I hear attempting to beat a game with the least number of button presses makes a good challenge.

subsistence in 5 makes it tons more fun, because you get to use more of the CQC tricks instead of just slo-mo tranqing anyone who looks at you funny.

Reminder there's no such thing as a half A press

I'm visibly shaken

I turn off the HUD

witchcraft!

I do this for games like Motorstorm: Apocalypse, as well as playing in first person/bumper cam. It adds to muh immersion

I didn't make it but I keep it around because it's fucking impressive

Fuck, Bobobo was such a chill animu. Thanks for reminding me I need to rewatch it, user.

I try to finish levels without losing any NPC allies. Sometimes it's easy sometimes it's hard.

Make the time spent playing valuable in my life

Minimal/no HUD and no minimap is the best way to fly

Did this (with marines) for all the Halo games up until 3. Had to reload the checkpoint if I lost some. On higher difficulties it was hard to save them, but my buddy and I managed to do it :)

Always pick joke characters when available

Here's a similarly sized .mp4 file for comparison. Resolution and direct webm conversion make a huge different.

That's exactly what I was thinking of when I posted that. The level in halo 1 where you storm the beach with marines was great.

Turn the Hud off.

Besides the added challenge, it looks really nice. Especially in widescreen with helmet opacity at 0

I started playing skyrim's requiem mod with the self imposed rule of dead means delete. Apperantly it scarred my psyche to the point where I can't play an rpg character past its first death as it constantly nags in the back of my mind.

I do the same thing with New Vegas with Sawyer's installed and a ton of mods that increase difficulty

I just wish I could make it stop. It starts to dig

Just embrace it like I do
Don't you love the suffering?

I had a similar problem during 6th gen. I got so used to the 100% collection challenge most N64 and PS1 games that I would chase down any sidequest and alternate path as soon as I noticed it.

Ruined a lot of games for me. If a sidequest of tedious and boring, I'd sooner drop the whole game than just move onto better parts. Eventually a crushing sense of Nhilism got me to stop doing it.

No saves, no deaths, no breaks except food and bathroom (this means no sleeping either), no cheats, 100% clear. I've done this for only two games, Link to the Past and Final Fantasy IV. LttP wasn't too bad, but I spent around 50 hours clearing FFIV because I had only played through it once before.

Playing HL2 with only Gravity Gun was fun

SF4 has a survival mode where you have no idea about your life, super meter or ultra meter….

I always play as mundane over magic. Just the idea of playing in a world of dragons, demons and continent shattering wizards and running around hitting things with a stick appeals to me. Sometimes it actually makes the game easier (Geneforge 2).

I like to play games with a self-imposed waifu rule: no male party members other than myself.

Needless to say, it gets quite difficult when there's not enough waifu candidates to fill out a team, and impossible to do in many cases.

I like to only buy the same item in league

6 rods of ages master race lol

I used to do that.
Everytime I started New Vegas, I had a set "path" of quests to do on that playthrought. Like "sciency" quests if I was going with Energy weapons + Science and the like.

Then one day on a normal playthrought, I was planning to use that Helios gun (since I never used it for real and I was doing an explosives run).
I got to the Helios power plant, and the bitch doesn't let me in. Turns out I missed a couple quests, didn't get enough NCR brownie points and the only alternative was a speech check that I failed.
I seryously pondered on what to do. I could trek back, do a bunch of side-missions for the NCR that I didn't plan on doing.
Then it occured me that I was carrying 64 dynamite sticks.
You know what happened the rest of the run?
I made my best attempt to solve every single quest with dynamite. Or C4 when that became available. Or rockets later. Or the 60+ grenades I always end up carrying in other runs.

>disapointed that was the only boomer-side-quest that can be solved by blowing shit up

And my personal favourite

Never let your completionism compulsion get in the way of fun, user.
Especially if the fun is fueled by explosions and poorly-voiced NPC's screaming "NOOOOO"

Try 6 Archangels. That's the only way I had fun in that game:
And then they nerfed AP items, AP ratios and every champion that used AP forever in a single patch. Never touched the game again.
Especially after what they did to Fiddlesticks.

I've never been a fan of adding more difficulty just for difficulty's sake, but I enjoy using less efficient weapons to create a "theme" build in shit like STALKER or Souls games.

Hilarious enough, I did get reported once for buying the 5 archaengels.
Some guy was bitching about when I had 4.
So I end up killing him, and use the money t buy a 5th one.
He raged and claimed to report me.
I hope that ended in the tribunal so at least someone else got to laugh at him.

The thing is, I only played heroes that relied on AP. Malzahar, Fiddle, Karthus, that rock thing that shoots lightining. Mages and the like.
I never liked auto-atacks and AP was a new mechanic to try out after DOTA.
Then one day, they decided AP had too much impact, seryously slashed AP ratios for abilities, seryously slashed AP bonus from items and then for good measure ended with nerfing nearly every ability that required AP.
This culminated in a triple nerf to half the cast.
A week later, everyone was playing with AD, mindlessly auto-atacking and using gap-closers like they're some sort of pros.
The deciding moment might be when I got two guys raging on my team (in ranked) because I picked Fiddlesticks and went to the jungle.
I mean, I got their point. Fiddle stopped being able to farm like he used to, and it takes ages to do shit compared to other characters.
Still, they pretty much murdered the only feature LoL had that I considered insteresting.
And since nothing else had any sort of redeaming value, ended up dropping it for Smite.
I hear Bloodrites is suposedly good, gonna try that next.

at least most mages dont feel neutered in that game.

I play for score.

do you want to score with an umbrella

Does being drunk count?

Playing through shit like rise of the tomb raider while drunk is fun, games like EDF are perfect for playing drunk.

I take romhacks of pokemon games that are already intended to make them difficult on a normal playthrough and nuzlocke them.

Contributing to the pile of shit

I do take the spaceport but only after I've taken all the other non-stronghold territories on the map since it would be boring to waste many turns just moving from stronghold to stronghold. This makes the choice of attacking a territory more meaningful instead of just trivializing your objectives. My next attempt at the campaigns will be to never take a single one of the territory abilities. Partially a relief considering the horrendous hyperion peaks mission.

In Doom, I try to kill as few enemies as possible. Much more fun to rush through a map being dogged by hordes of monsters than it is to spend time whittling them down, especially on slaughtermaps.

Banana/Water gun in MGS series.

A Nuzlocke run is this to some extent, but the only way to make Pokemon in any way challenging is to have some self imposed rules. One of my biggest one is every run to not use the starter, because the starter Pokemon are OP.

Pokemon is still too easy even with self imposed challenges

Do you have the 40 minute .webm of some math video talking about triangles.

I did a dark souls run with some fairly standard challenges like no leveling, no rings etc. but for an extra challenge I did it on my friends account who had never played it before. so I played also for the achievements. look at the ones I specifically didn't get

Sword only, no boosts, no charged dashes, no parries.
Was breddy fun. Love the game.

How? I take it you made an exception for dueling bits?

If you dodge within like 0.2-0.4 seconds of the boss attacking you with an attack denoted by a white light, you can dodge the attack and interrupt their attack chain. It's pretty damned great if you're speedrunning. Needs a little getting used to but once you do it you'll forget why parries even exist.

Interrupt their attack chain by attacking them from the back, I mean.

hmmm, actually, I recall pulling that off once or twice now that you mention it. I managed finish the game, but boy did I suck at it. D ranks all around. Might go back and try furier though, I really loved the game.

In bloodborne, I had fun by trying to get fully equipped at the start without dying or entering the hunter's dream. That meant getting the torch guarded by a troll, the hunter garb from the sewers, and the most important, the saw spear from some dead guy hanging. Once I did that, I decided to go a bit farther and kill tge cleric beast with the equipment I had. I stopped at that, because I'm not confident enough in my ability to fight father Gascoigne without a fire arm to parry him with at such a low level. However, with all the points I acuired completing it I managed to get enough of a stat boost for my weapons to beat him in one try that run. I might actually try it again and beat both, since after that I realized how easy it was to doge his attacks, especially in his beast form.

Doing a solo run in team-based RPGs is the epitome of self imposed challenges.
Games I've successfully solo'd are dragon warrior III, etrian odyssey, and pokemon diamond.

I did one for mega man battle network 2 and 3:
It made the games way better, in my opinion. The problem with both games is that some chips and combos make the game's fights trivial (see: Gater). Also, custom style makes it too easy to find the chips you want. There were times where I just didn't do enough damage to beat a boss, but the discovery of a new folder concept got me through. I can see why the started to nerf PA and navichips later in the series.

Also trying to do a Sheba SCC in Golden Sun TLA. Stuck at the final boss because he has an attack that does "summon style" damage, which means it's a percentage of your hp + a large number. Also, djinn storm. Sheba is probably the worst character for this because she has no OP unleash weapons and can't cast Pure Ply ever, which would solve all healing issues. However, the luck stat needs to be over 40 near the endgame because of all the insta death flying around, and that seems like it would be difficult with Felix. I might try Jenna, since she has the tisiphone edge and iris robe.

The final boss is like this:

I try not to blackjack anything in Thief, but then the game gets tedious as fuck. I can honestly never follow through with self-imposed challenges because I always naturally want to utilize whatever I have in a situation.

Impressive.

I need more cop games in my life.

I like doing this as well. I did leaf green with just the starter. by then end my Blastoise was massively over leveled and could one shot everything.

y..you too

Needlessly convoluted. If a half press is just a hold, then it shouldn't even be considered at all, it is just a hold. A press should be one full press down. Nothing to do with a hold or a release.

Again, needlessly convoluted system.

This. Had lots of fun with a mono-Rock Nuzlocke on Moemon Fire Red.

Outside of 5th gen, doing a solo run of any Pokemon game is piss easy, considering how you're buying items instead of pokeballs in addition to your main poke's overlevelling making it immune to OHKO attacks.

It's actually kind of too easy to play Pokemon games using basically only your starter, maybe backed up with legendaries.

It's not like you can't afford to buy items and pokeballs, mind. I ended up using the starter to overpower everything, with an entourage of utility, HM slaves and flavour, and bringing out a legendary when the Elite Four turn out too hard to solo.

Tangentally related but

I mean I get it but I was still really disappointed

>Only nonlethal takedowns read: melee kills that wouldn't kill someone IRL since heroes don't kill
>This includes areas with only armed enemies like the hospital rescue

It actually works surprisingly well, all you have to do is think of the Sun On Yee as vigilantes rather than a gang and ignore any of the parts where you talk to your handler. They hardly ever reference actual crimes, just "Dogeyes being an asshole". To make it even better, a lot of the characters have names like "Dogeyes" or "Johnny Ratface" that work as supervillain names. There are also thugs to fight constantly, and Teng works like a version of Commissioner Gordon.

Technically some superpowers are available too since you could use the 'vigilante' suit for advanced reflexes, the bronze warrior for extra endurance, or the adam jensen costume for a cyborg body and powers. There's even a SWAT outfit that gives you an assault rifle and increased bullet resistance if you want to go full punisher.

All in all, it makes the game SO much more fun. The romance system fits into it perfectly too.

Oh yeah, and the valet is like Alfred.

Yeah, I felt the same about sub-weapons in that game. They half-assed mistral's weapon and the other two literally add nothing to the game. They don't mix into any combos or have combos, they're just unfun shit.

I mean I know it's so Sam's DLC isn't rendered pointless (or they just hadn't thought of anything similar by that time) but I think it wouldn't be hard to wing it with two people playing vastly differently despite the same weapon.

dammit ring runner

In scrappy vehicle building games I like to make things based on existing things and see if I can do well with them.

Not even that. Just need a starter and useless slave pokemon who do all the moves outside battles. Then on the very low chance your main goes down, you just let your slave act as bait until you can revive your main pokemon.