Sidearms in video games?

Got any games that do pistols really well?
I wanna play around with pistols and revolvers, games with meaty gunplay has been on my mind for some time now.
There's the newer DICE games, but i'm looking for something singleplayer oriented that's not total AIDS.

Fallout 4

Max Payne 3 if you like dual wielding and watching your bullets pierce your enemies in slow-mo.

There's legit too many examples of good sidearms in vidya. Here are just some off the top of my head

if by "well" you mean "right" then pick a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game or a Rainbow Six one and have at it.

PAYDAY 2

where?

Is the first pic from Killer 7?

It's the "scoped" version of the 357. It's basically the multiplayer version of the gun

It's from the original Half-Life

S.T.A.L.K.E.R

Think i'll pass, Anonymous Holla Forums user.

Don't mean 'right' per say, as pistols aren't all that fun to shoot irl. I'm looking for something meatier and fantastical.

Shit game but the pistol is great. Useful throughout the game, you can shoot while sprinting, and there's a nice little touch with how it's held when you switch fire modes

time to kill yourself, buddy.

Thanks

if you're looking for fantastical, look no further than titanfall, where the pistol aims for you! or borderlands, which is a terrible game but it has some fun pistols. obviously max payne is a great choice.

Resident Evil

This man speaks truths. Though in F.E.A.R. pistol ammo becomes way scarce midgame, same with deus ex and not-deus ex.

I never really used the pistol in System Shock 2. I always used the laser sword

ss2 is far superior to bioshit but come on faggot….

no you didn't. it did shit all to flesh even at max strength.

It's really useful against the robotic enemies up until you get the Crystal shard. The Psi sword is also useful but you need to research it as a psi skill iirc.

The crystal shard is legit the best melee weapon in the game but you don't get it til the Operations deck and you need to grind out Exotic and Research before then

TR3 is driving me fucking insane at the moment. The sheer amount of bullshit these level designers are throwing around is ridiculous. Fucking insta-kill traps everywhere with no foreshadowing, literally every second switch, at least, will spawn an enemy right behind you the second you flip it, and they added in the fucking wonderful fun that are poison status effects and vehicles that control like absolute dogshit. I really hope TR4 dials back the assholery.

why use anything but the wrench in melee runs? It's the standard ammo of melee weapons.

It's part of the fun to me, there's a lot of ambiance throughout the series and it's so eerily quiet before you get thrown into a trap and you have to think really fast to get out of it.

SHODAN is incapable of being damaged by the Wrench. If you want to stick to melee only you need the laser rapier.

Thats not Regural Show faggot

Get out scrub

Yeah it is.

I fucking love ridiculous "secondary" weapons that end up way more bullshit than anything in the main slot.

I don't mind thinking quick to avoid a trap, I do mind there being no hint there's a trap there and then you instantly die.

Like the South Pacific Islands levels, there's a corridor in the first section with no telegraphing anywhere, you're just walking along and a spike comes out of a wall and kills you. So you reload, go again, get a little further, and down another corridor a fucking spinning blade comes out at head height and cuts Lara's fucking throat. That's some bullshit. So you reload again, go through the motions, and later on in that fucking Gorge level there's a secret area off the side path with a save crystal in it. So you jump up and grab it and then fire literally grows out of the ground, from nowhere, and burns you to a crisp the second you're there. No chance to avoid it, nothing, just randomly on fire for no fucking reason. And that's without getting in to the randomly spawning dinosaurs that appear in fucking closed rooms right behind you when you flip switches. That's not good game design, that's straight up cuntery.

E.Y.E: Divine Brouzoufmancy has great pistols, too.

No its not

Why would you waste a perfectly fine inventory slot you fucking Jian?

There's room for both bear killer and BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT

I dunno mate that's something I like about the older Tomb Raider games.

A lot of the newer ones feel sanitized. Like the Tomb had all of the hard edges cut and all of the traps have delays and shit.

I want to feel like Indiana Jones where if I play carefully and take things really slow I'll survive. It makes me feel like an actual explorer and not like I'm on a guided tour.

I'm always reminded of that scene Raiders of the Lost Ark when Indiana Jones is in that room with the darts and he guesses that if he steps on the tiles he'll be shot with darts. That's what playing Tomb Raider feels like to me, I have to interpret how the level is designed and if the game might throw a trap at me.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me you little culter?

STRANGA, STRANGA! NOW THAT'S A WEAPON

It's "scoped" from a gameplay perspective. There's two version of the magnum in Half-life, the singleplayer one without the laser pointer and the multiplayer one with the laser pointer. The multiplayer version lets the player zoom in when holding it, unlike the singleplayer version.

this nigga with good taste
Agreed, it built up suspense and tension, it didn't rush into the action and then forgive you if you dun fucked up
You had to be careful and observant, but that's too much for modern audiences

how did he fire that without fucking up his wrist

Ive seen Looters with better legs than you

Federation or Metastreumonic Force fuckface?

Like anyone else who fires it without breaking their wrist.

Seems pretty fun, plus you know if someone gets hit with that they aren't getting back up

It was mentioned here

WE WUZ ALIEN HUNTERS AND SHIET

MoH games used to have infinite ammo sidearms you could use through their entire campaigns.

Red Dead Redemption

The first killing floor had some nice pistols, especially the handcannon

have you played it since they added the .44? its the same as the deagle in stats but it revolves. you can't dual wield with a dealge though which is a shame

I never used to dual wield pistols anyways except for the one they spawn you with. Usually did deagle with winchester or crossbow

Fistful of frags
PASS THE WHISKEY

The first borderlands has some really cool revolvers and machine pistols

I love the pistols in CS:CZ Deleted Scenes for whatever reason.

It's that gun. Always felt very satisfying to use with armor-piercing bullets.

But it's not. You have plenty in Deus Ex unless you don't use any other weapons at all, especially "specialized" ones (EMP grenades, LAMs, assault shotgun with AP ammo, 40mm underbarrel, sniper rifle for bat people etc.) and in Human Revolution if you actually don't use any other weapons you can fill almost the entirety of your inventory with ammo, thus making sure that you will never run out of ammo.

pistols are not fun to shoot compared to a rifle or shotgun, but you cant carry a rifle around on a hip holster.

OP I suggest halo ODST, the pistol in that is fucking awesome.

Are you only looking for FPS/TPS OP ? If that's not the case Jagged Alliance 2 has a good amount of pistols and they fill the niche of CQC as they use very little AP to ready and fire.

Is there any game that lets you +1 a pistol?

That's not a good sidearm user

Whats that? I couldn't hear you over my massive 256 damage and a fuck ton more with overkill.

Yeah. I know. But ever since the update supressor builds became stupidly viable. And the judge can pretty much insta-kill the entire population of a small country with the correct shot. Least its better than pistol builds, which lack damage and brute strength.

I think the only games I've played where sidearms are good past the first level are Half-Life (Blue Shift + Opposing Force), GTA 5, FEAR, and the new Wolfenstein games.

Why do they always suck? There's no real explanation why a .45 pistol does 5 damage but a .45 SMG does 15 damage per shot (I know muzzle energy and all that bullshit, but still it's the same fucking cartridge).

Literally everything you just said was incorrect.

The pistol has a wimpy sound, yeah, but its near-perfect accuracy is great. It can be better than the crossbow, too, because with that weapon you have to compensate for the bolt dropping, but the pistol fires laser bullets that you don't have to do that with.

I think you're confusing it for the .357

The pistol is inaccurate at distances where you would need to start worrying about the crossbow bolt dropping. What the fuck are you talking about?

You had ONE job. That single reference was the full extent of the Xbox 360's lasting cultural value.

F.E.A.R. and STALKER.

This x1000

When I first played RE I Just ran around with w/e and focused on upgrading guns all the way, totally overlooking this thing. Then I recently played it again years later and was like "This is pretty fun", then got the red9 and it's probably the most fun I've had with an over the shoulder shooter game that I can remember.

Pistols never give that feeling of oomph and revolvers are for edgelords who have OC's that are furry versions of Dante.

I never understood why nobody gave you a semi-automatic carbine like an SKS for your #2 slot.

It's useless by the third act, even with the damage upgrade.

Talk about asking for the moon.

Rainbow 6 has always done them well, even Siege. Always fun to put away my SMG so I can just cap someone as I round a corner.

that game. that game, stalker, and theHunter (lol laugh but just see how well they handled pistols or watch videos of gameplay)

may as well add a video