Memorable moments in vidya

Because the OP of the other thread fucked up

Anyways, what are some memorable moments for you in vidya and what made it so memorable for you?
What do you think makes for a really memorable stand-out moment in a game which everyone remembers? Is it the music, breaking the formula, or something else entirely?

For me it has to be in the moment in Prey where you spent like ages climbing the tower only to see on a hologram you're not even halfway there, signifying that the journey has only begun. And then the big bad boss decides to teleport you all the way up just because she likes you, but that's a different story.

I played Prey expecting a shitty AA low-effort FPS and was pleasantly surprised to find otherwise.

When you get off the elevator down to Hong Kong market in DX.

That picture pretty much sums up the feeling I get too when escaping a bunch of paramilitary dudes and their bots into a crowded Chinese market, just like in the movies where some badly wounded gaijin enters a market to shake off his assailants.

This fucking level gave me a headache so bad I had to throw up and then go to the sleep in middle of it. And then I had to beat it playing part by part, having little breaks. Was pretty memorable for me, didn't have this in other levels or in any other games

Oh and I have to add this. At this point I'd come to expect weird shit in a Kojima game, but I had last played over a week ago and when I booted it up I was flabbergasted, I was sure I had inserted the wrong disc (in the middle of loading a save of MGS) and put in another game I didn't even remember having. It was very surreal for the very first moments and thus highly memorable.

Actually had the same issue, except that I stopped before throwing up. Never finished the game because I just stopped at some point and just the thought of going through that again is enough to discourage me.

Only thing I remember about that level is that it was pretty damn long.

When I made a great friend in Minecraft, early Alpha, just after the SMP mode was released.
I was also brand new to the game. I built a giant noob tower in the middle of the night to escape the monsters.

I asked for help on the server, and this guy and his friend showed up and took me to their base.

Had many more adventures after that, many of which are much more memorable, on the same server and others, throughout alpha through late beta, when the server shut down. We became good friends, as I said. Perhaps the best friend I ever made online. I know things would have gone differently for me had I never met him. I can never forget that.

I think he killed himself. Haven't spoken in about 3 years now. RIP md of M.

why would this level give anyone a headache ?

What exactly do you both mean? I don't understand. Did the movement in the water give you movement nausea or what?

Motion sickness I'd imagine. If you played half life 2 you'd know why.

Down at the Boneyard was so memorable to me because it was such a massive, sprawling level, had plenty of secrets and felt like a never before mapped area, as well as being unbelievably spooky and atmospheric with the Horn being heard throughout most of the level.

Bonehoard, but yeah, it's a very impressive level for a third level in a game.

I keep getting the name mixed up for whatever reason.

I'm a sucker for a well done three part finale with an escape sequence at the end. Super Metroid's finale sequence with the slog through Tourian, the boss fight and the escape sequence is where it started. I suppose it started in the original Metroid TBH but Super made it so much fucking better.

I also liked the ending to the first Halo, where you fight your way back in to the Pillar of Autumn, blow the reactor and do the mad escape down the length of the ship's maintenance corridors in a warthog while the main theme is pumping.

Call me a Pleb or a Casual but this one made it for me.

They really fucked up with that bloody screen so real marmelade jelly effect. You're getting shot so why make me laugh

May I never forget…That being Meguca…Was suffering.

I played it and I really dont know why

Then you, like me, do not suffer from motion sickness.

I can't recall anything that really jumps out at me in the theme of the thread.

Could be motion sickness, that can cause headaches and vomiting. Though exposure to certain patterns of light can induce migraines in some people.

I've got to admit, as shit as I thought the rest of the game was, that section got me sufficiently pumped up. They even ripped it off as the final section on Halo 3, but it was nowhere near as good. It just kind of felt like they ran out of ideas.

The entire last two levels of this game. Being tortured, escaping then killing an entire building full of Triad's and finally getting payback on Big Smile Lee. So fucking satisfying.

And I never touched another FF again.

Odd thing about the FF series is that the ones VII onward tend to be a real mixed bag.

Up until FFVI there was a pretty uniform style and mood, then FFVII hit and made it all dark and edgy. FFIX was a return to the roots. FFX tried to walk a middle ground and I haven't played it, but it has a mixed reputation.

I really want to replay this game but then I remember all the shitty forced shooting segments

it's the closest i've ever come to feeling like i just crawled out of the matrix. bonus story: some older guy tried the machine beside me and got so motion sick he hurled while still strapped in, so he barfed all over himself while i was feeling like motherfucking iceman

GREATEST JOURNEY

the older 2004 release of Half-Life 2 had a low FoV, so maybe he played it back then.

Seeing that scene of the orca whale chasing sonic in the first SA back in 1998 on a jap dreamcast was amazing, nobody in that store could believe it was real-time and not a cutscene

Also the first time I played GTA3 it was kind of shocking to have a game world so detailed not so much for graphics (JSR had better graphics) but for the sheer size and the level of interaction with all NPCs

Guy fuckin Savage.

If I remember correctly, you have to save and reload after Volgin's torture. I remember Kojima's commentary and he mentioned that Konami wanted the demo in there to boost awareness of the game.

Then the game gotten cancelled. Hence the only working demo is of that in the PS2.

Since most of the people taken the good ones like the Orca from Sanic Adventure and Sleeping Dog ending Rest in Peace, Jackie. I suppose I pick Shadow of the Colossus. Never have I seen such a huge land be utterly fucking empty of life save for a few animals and lizards.

I know Bungie likes to copy-and-paste their level design but jesus fuck…

OH FOR THE LOVE OF FUCK

COD4 and MW2 (and to some extent, BLOPS2 and MW3) have some incredible setpieces. I wish they just continued in that direction but they had to go futuristic and completely utterly fuck every semblance of it all. By the time BLOPS3 came out, not even the basic shooting felt 'right' anymore.

EXTREME VETTING

HL2's lighting gave me migraine headaches.

Too bad the fight against Big Smile Lee wasn't a proper fight.
It's the only thing I didn't like about the game,even the shallow shooting was a nice change of pace from time to time.

itt: subhumans who get motion sickness because their brain is too primitive to understand a grid of tiny bulbs representing reality isn't reality

this video is incredible
source?

I don't get motion sick, but half life 2 did it for me.

It's my reality shithead.

I wonder how it feels, throughout my life I tried getting it but its impossible for me.