BTC Mining on a PowerPC Mac

Don’t debate me on coins and their legitimacy, just tell how dumb or impossible mining coins are using a decked out G5 Mac with a high end graphics card.

Other urls found in this thread:

cryptocompare.com/coins/btc/charts/USD?t=LC&p=12M
contravex.com/2017/04/07/installing-openbsd-on-macppc/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

impossible, dont be retarded

why the fuck are you using such an ancient piece of shit anyway? try Holla Forums

I’m not. That just an old editing rig sitting in the corner. I was hoping it had some mining value since it’s bascallu a doorstop now.

Bitcoin has no real world value.

You would make like 2$ of gross income per month. Electricity costs will be much higher than that.

cryptocompare.com/coins/btc/charts/USD?t=LC&p=12M

That's a very old machine, and likely the GPU is not capable of delivering any results worth while. All other answers are correct.

Sage for offtopic.

>>>Holla Forums
>>>/g/
>>>/biz/
Get out.

That means nothing. No fucking business accepts BTC.

That G5 uses up to 800 watts at full power, with the shit graphics card it comes with. I don't even know if they make "high end" graphics cards that work with the G5. The best I was able to do on a G4 was flash an FX5200 with an Apple ROM, and that isn't enough for even basic mining. I think the G5 tops out at a Geforce 6800 or Radeon 9600. You're better off saving that G5 for when the Intel Management Engine makes your Wintel computer turn on you.

Pic related apart, bitcoin can't scale right now and its fees and transaction times are not practical right now.
Soon other actually usable cryptocurrencies will take its place.

The cost of the electric bill outweighs the amount of bitcoins you get mining nowadays unless you have a dedicated rig.

You need an asic battery cluster you stupid retard

Some have PCI-e, even then you'd need drivers, so hope to god there's open source available. No fucking way you'd get them running on OSX, but if you installed linux then MAYBE you could compile them for PPC.

Even then, bitcoin mining on GPU's is pointless, use them to mine a scriptcoin or something, otherwise you could just plug a ASIC into anything and run cgminer on it, even a fucking iMac G3

No, Japan.

OWC might sell some kind of video upgrade, but probably not any remotely modern cards. Also, Gentoo and OpenBSD are still supported on Power Macs. Great machines, just not for Bitcoin.

contravex.com/2017/04/07/installing-openbsd-on-macppc/

Explain the benefits of running a G5 on Linux if I already have a newer Mac laptop for everyday use.

Why don't you think it can "scale"? And what would make another crypto more "actually usable" than btc?

asic or go home. if you work at a large company full of clockpushers bring an asic rig to work and say it's your backup drive if anyone asks (but hide it good so nobody asks)

ASIC vastly outscales any GPU, or GPU mining.

You have to buy a dedicated mining device, basically. As the number of coins mined-per minute is constant, regardless of the quantity of miners, or their cumulative hashrate, you will be totally drowned by competition, and you won't even make up for the power bill.

Low or zero fees, visa level capacity and fast confirmation. Bitcoin Cash achieves this.

Seems I am a retard, because I just checked and it’s not a G5 it’s a loaded (intel) Mac Pro 8 core. Does that change anything???

You could probably mine some Monero but definitely not BTC

PowerPC OpenBSD is fun but you won't get a better browser than Links from the package manager. If your focus isn't web browsing it's fine, but you're better off installing Gentoo or using OS X Leopard with Leopard-Webkit.
(checked)
Same reason people like rotary and W engines. It's enough that the bits are being pushed through in a slightly different arrangement. So what if it's significantly more of a pain in the ass? Kek.

Take a time machine back to 2010 and yes maybe it will work.

Enjoy your molten slag of plastic

Keep up! It’s an Intel. Also G5’s were aluminum not plastic. So unless coin mining generates thermite, calm down.

If nothing else, a box like that would be perfect for installing Gentoo. Shit would compile in no time at all.

Youd had a better chance building a time machine to go back 10 years and buy a bunch of opterons.