Does anyone still believe Ed Wood was the worst director of all time...

Does anyone still believe Ed Wood was the worst director of all time? I don't see him shitting out uninspired nostalgia reboots or cinematic universe fodder.

Only memers claim that when we've got so many terrible directors shitting out dreadful remakes and reboots and just turds in general.

Ed Wood was the worst popular director of a time period before amateur directors didn't have internet, DVD burner publishing power or crowdfunding and Neil Breen hadn't made a debut yet. He was the worst Hollywood director of a simpler time.

I respect Ed Wood. Sure he was a hack, but he loved film. He didn't see it as a mere vehicle for virtue signaling, like today's soy-laced directors.

Roger Corman was always worse.

This is bait, right?

not of all time but for effort to output ratio he is by a mile the worst one yet

Never seen anything he directed. Nolan is worse.

Okay, this is interesting:

>Viewers who have seen Plan 9 in theaters or on television have often laughed at the random mistakes that are seen in the film, including visible microphones, ordinary chairs doubling for aircraft equipment, and plumbing hardware visible aboard the aliens' flying saucer, blaming it on Ed Wood for such careless staging. However, Wood framed his shots for the widescreen format, expecting that the ephemera at the top and bottom of the screen would be cropped in projection. Only when the film is viewed in its original widescreen format does it become apparent that Wood did compose his scenes correctly, and that the various objects intruding on the picture were never meant to be seen by the audience.

He always worked on low-budget, sometimes too low, but he had decent ideas and even when in execution they seemed archaic and even careless at times (see how the light starts to move in webm) he was daring, managed to pull it off in plenty of occasions and in fashionable manner

So they deliberately presented his movies in the wrong aspect ratio?

He had interesting ideas but crappy execution (although not so crappy in comparison to other shit from that period) while nowadays there are only shit ideas which are given enough gloss to be barely watchable.

Wood certainly had original ideas which is more than you can say of all modern directors however technically proficient they might otherwise be.

At least Ed Wood cared.

I saw Plan 9 From Outer Space and Bride of the Monster, and my opinion is that he had grand ideas, but nobody gave him money for all those special effects. His greatest weakness was that most of his movies are made up of people speaking to each other, and there's very little actual happening. I think if he had incredible amounts of money, his mostly boring conversations would have been interrupted with lots of awesome scenes - just like how today's big budget movies are.

Because when you have enough money, you can create something that looks cool, and it looks so cool, that the people who leave their brains out in the doorway of the cinema doesn't even realize that what they see is like a balloon: It's big, shiny, but empty inside. Examples: Avengers 2, GotG 2.

So it's very interesting to think about this: With more money, maybe he would be remembered as a grand genius.

in the grand scheme of Plan 9, visible microphones are the least of the movies problems.

Nope.

That's not Jew Jew Abrams

Those are the best Star Wars directors.

He was ahead of his time, just like all geniuses, and was hated by envious plebs.

How can you make a career in Hollywood with a nem like this?