What if an ordinary guy was forced into an eternal purgatory of having to relive the same day over and over again...

Has any other film ever had such a great premise ruined by such a shitty ending?

Jealous you can't get any roastie beef?

I could go for some roast beef right now. Actual roast beef i mean.

It did seem unlikely someone going through the same day for years would anymore care about some mundane woman (or any woman outside the spiritual "true love") he had to see all the time. Though him reaching an abstract enlightement would have been too confusing for the target audience, for which the message of "settle with an old jewess == good" is enough thought for the day.

I never liked this dull piece of shit

In the original short story, there is no ending. When main character finally reaches his boiling point, he simply kills himself, only to wake up once again.

what original short story? the story was written for the movie

Imagine if they based this movie back in the day and his groundhog day ended with him assassinating lincoln

You think he ever fucked a child just to see if he could do it?

You make it sound like a Blacked Mirror episode.

He probably raped and murdered multiple times until he could slaughter the entire town in a day.

came here to post this tbqh.

The storm would stop him there. Even if he survived the trip, he would have very little time to actually do anything.

Having finally broken free of the loop, surely Bill Murray must have taken his finely-honed killing skills to a greater stage. To this day Bill Murray has not been caught, free to walk among us.

It wasn't a shitty ending. If I'm not mistaken, to break the loop, he had to stop being shitty to the townspeople.

That seems odd. I mean, he spent YEARS in that town. You'd think in a week or so, he'd have just broke the loop by being bored of being an asshole.

tbh if i was in his situation i would spend every day raping the roasties over and over again

He spent two weeks in the loop. Groundhog Day is essential plebkino.

So who are the bad guys again /pol?

HE CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH IT

Is the movie good? Does he know that once the day is over he will relieve it tomorrow?

The original premise was that a bitter ex-girlfriend cursed him and he wouldn't be free until he learned to love.

They cut that part out and just kept the rest as is so it's never explained in the movie why he was cursed or why he goes free.

Yeah, he's aware that he's repeating days. Movie is good, but I agree that it should have been about him learning not to be a bastard, and finding love should have been a side effect. Not the cure.

seems like shit tbh. I'd rather have watched it if it went the route of clockwork orange and he'd just stab people randomly and do whatever the fuck he wanted rather than (((muh woman)))

does he know that the cycle can be broken? it would seem risky then to rape and murder and one day the cycle would be broken and he'd end up with life in prison

He starts repeating so much he goes and commits suicide a bunch of times. Of course he could have gone and killed, but we do not see that. Eventually he decides to woo the (((woman))) and starts repeating just to get the perfect date. Of course eventually this fixes the loop

Oh and he does end up in prison once and he realizes his actions have no consequences.

I think the director said by the time he broke the loop, he'd been living the same day for something like 30 years stuck reliving the same day. The original plan was for it to be 10,000 years, though, but other quotes say 40, 100, a lifetime, etc.. The final ending seems like a typical Hollywood cop-out, though. It needed to have a happy ending that audiences could easily understand. So he gets the girl and they live happily ever after, instead of having the protag finish serving his 10,000 year spiritual trial and ascending to a higher level of existence.

THE DARK SOULS OF DARK SOULS

Whoa buddy I think you got the wrong board, the GAY COMMUNITY is 2 blocks down.

Jealous you can't get any roastie beef?

YEARS?

That would make for an interesting film and I'm sure someone will someday make that.

Fucking a roastie is the same as smearing the cum of thousands of men on your dick.