Nipponese Learning Thread - "Why Can't Matthew Hit Seatle Instead of Florida?" Edition

Why aren't you learning Nipponese user? Seriously, what's your pathetic little excuse for tolerating crap like pic related instead of playing games the way they were menat to be played without memes, censorship, new bugs, forced partial dubs, unreadable accents, censorship, shit replaced entirely whole cloth with elipises and worse? How pathetic are you that you can't take time and learn a useful skill that improves your long term brain health despite all the shit you'll suffer through because you don't?

docs.google.com/document/d/1pKgBm8Aa58mjB1hYhbK-VOPZsRBTXBuPBzw8Xikm2ss/pub?embedded=true
google.com/url?q=https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ynwmcFwy0ccT70cVRp-G97fYlcf-GYZ86T62SvQMDdY/pub?embedded=true&sa=D&ust=1453325614194000&usg=AFQjCNHsfuahFvAqJk5XVfcmGnalXnfPtA

If you already know or are already learning Nipponese, post the Nipponese games you are playing and the Nipponese only games you want to play.
(New thread now because I'm not sure I'll have power)

Other urls found in this thread:

realkana.com/
wilsonjj.me/jptv/#).
youtube.com/watch?v=nqJ5wU4FamA&list=PL9987A659670D60E0
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katakana
en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Japanese/Vocabulary/Videogame
learnjapanesepod.com/kana-invaders/
guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/nounparticles
youtube.com/watch?v=KUIWRsVZZZA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elision#Japanese
japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/1095/what-are-the-rules-regarding-mute-vowels-u-after-s-and-i-after-sh
youtube.com/watch?v=_Og4D3XWgZw
torrentproject.se/5e79de34fa083143bc3486fca38ee6e1a5afbae8/Genki-I-II-2nd-Edition-+-Tobira-torrent.html
ejje.weblio.jp/content/ただじゃおかないぞ
docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxzbWNuaWhvbmdvMXxneDo3OGU4NTEwYTJlNTI1NzVk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

daily reminder that you can't learn japanese.

daily reminder that even if you buy japanese nintendo games, you're still supporting nintendo, and hence, shit localizations.

daily reminder that supporting nintendo in any way is cancer.

I learned enough to be able to read Yotsubato in Japanese without any trouble.
I had a lot of fun learning, but I lost all motivation now for some reason.

I initially forced myself to learn, I didn't believe I could make it, but I was like "I'll keep going for 6months and depending on how much I improve I keep going or stop"

It's not really new and exciting anymore, it's just annoying to deal with the ass backwards writing system that is illogical as fuck.

What do Holla Forums?

Keep going, find something to read/watch/play to keep going otherwise the previous 6 months were a wasted effort.

What is pirating and/or buying second hand?

Because I'm leaning Russian instead, Cyka

Literally who the fuck cares. If you're learning Japanese in this thread, you've probably given up on English translations anyway. I don't even buy Nintendo games anyway but you're a fucking idiot.

Fuck off nigger

Yo Holla Forums I'm going to japan to study in spring 2018 they want me to learn a level called N2 a friend of mine said if I work very hard I can get it, so what do I need to start?

Recently I've played through Dragon Quest I-VI in Japanese. Pretty fucking comfy way of studying tbh. I think I'll tackle VII soon, but considering how fucking massive the script is, I'm putting it off for a while.

Doesn't stop you from being a nigger

Nigger do you not know how big Florida is? It's basically two different countries from one end to the other in terms of people. It's always literal nigger that know absolutely nothing about Florida that shit on it, hang yourself

Do you live in Florida user?
At least I dont get my shit fucked up by hurricanes on the regular.

What gave it away

Блять です

The northern section is more comparable to the rest of the American south, while southern Florida is much more like an extension of Hispanic countries

Yes that's what I was alluding to

One does not simply into moon.

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I CAN'T LEARN HOW TO DO ANYTHING
BECAUSE I JUST DON'T FUCKING GET OFF MY ASS AND ACTUALLY DO IT
It doesn't matter what my intentions are, it's like I've got an entirely separate person living inside my head, and that person is hell bent on WASTING FUCKING TIME. I am CONSTANTLY at odds with myself. I spend so much fucking ENERGY arguing with myself that I get fatigued and end up doing fuck all in the end. I am an indecisive, undisciplined, weak excuse for a human being, and there's no way out. THERE'S NO FUCKING HOPE because even if I manage to have a positive attitude I JUST WON'T DO ANYTHING IN THE END. It's like there's some fucking force field around my body and mind that just prevents me from being productive. I need some serious fucking help.

I should just fucking kill myself already. Truly spare myself the misery of my own existence.

In the time that it took you to make that whiny garbage, you could've learned five kanji.

This one amuses me to no end. But I believe in you! You CAN learn Japanese!

Are you ok user

Kanji is not fucking worth it. I thought English was a shit language. Damn

But I don't tolerate it. In fact, I don't even buy Nintendo games at all anymore.
Too many bad localizations as of late, and with what I've heard about Color Splash it sounds like that train isn't stopping anytime soon.
I just can't get motivated to get started learning Nipponese for some reason despite knowing plenty of ways it could help me.
If I ever did start learning Nipponese, would a Japanese Pokemon game be good for a beginner to play?

the only language thats worth anything is american.

I’m suicidal but intelligent enough not to whine about it on the fucking Internet and also not enough of a coward to actually kill myself.

You, however, are. Kill yourself. There is NO hope for you.

Nich Maragos' twitter is no longer private so I'm gonna dig through all his Trump-bashing, BLM-supporting and general goon-isms to see what sort of shit he was tweeting during the Fire Emblem Fates debacle. Also want to see what he said during Allison Rapp's firing.

How about you faggots stop bullying him and actually start trying to encourage him?

Find a regime that works for you and gradually build up to success and taking action. Don't let the other faggots get to you.

We ARE encouraging him. To kill himself. His weakness is not anything we need right now. All of the people too fucking weak to make something of themselves should kill themselves as quickly as possible. Save the fucking world from their leftist swill.

That's quite the fucking edgy moral crusade there, user. Too bad you don't actually give a shit about the world, you're just saying it because you're a sadist and nothing more. The solution to idiots with opinions you dislike isn't death. Get your head out of your fucking ass. If someone else having problems somehow makes it harder or impossible for you to stick to your own regime and get shit done, chances are you're not in any position to be talking shit to anyone about 'weakness' you fucking idiot.

Cut the man some fucking slack.

Well that was a fruitless effort. Nich deleted everything on his twitter before March 22nd. Also the only Allison Rapp thing I could find was him retweeting Leigh Alexander calling out for people to hire her.

I dug through over half a year's worth of cringe shit and have nothing to really show for it.

Yes, this is a good point. However, the point I was making is that I NEED SOME FUCKING HELP. Learning a language is hard enough on its own when you're enrolled in a fucking class and you're being instructed by a native speaker. I don't have access to such resources. I will have to teach myself. More importantly, this isn't about simply learning a language. This is about my own shitty habits and how they're impeding my ability to DO ANYTHING OF IMPORTANCE AT ALL WHATSOEVER.

I am okay. I just need to fucking get my shit together.

You're suicidal? Surely if that's true then you'd understand even more where I'm coming from, because those with suicidal tendencies will have been overcome with some great challenge in their lives that they feel is so impossible to overcome that they'd rather die than continue trying to face it in vain.

What I need is some structure, but I am not sure how to do that. I remember back in high school there were bells that sounded whenever you're supposed to begin class, leave for class, or go to recreation, etc. I have thought that this is because of operant conditioning, which basically encourages people to automatically act in accordance with some desirable outcome without thinking about it. However, the bells are an automated process themselves, and I don't have something like that. I was thinking of maybe using an alarm clock or something, but that would require me to constantly set and reset the time to go off, which is tedious. I spend most of my time at my desktop anyway, perhaps I could find some program that can be used like a timer and set it so it automatically goes off. I could just set the timer and be done with it. When I hear the timer go off, I begin studying. When I hear it go off again, I stop studying and move on to another activity.

Assuming I could get into the habit of doing this, I could very well be on my way to fucking fixing myself. The difficult part is actually getting into the habit in the first place.

Sorry for expressing myself. Ignore my posts if you think I'm being too whiny for your tastes. I know this is not tumblr, but I am not asking for you to give a shit about me personally. I am asking for techniques I can use to IMPROVE MYSELF.

The timer thing could actually be a good idea. Give that a shot if you can get it working.

If you need to get your shit together, fine, but please don't expose yourself to autistic faggots like the ones in this thread giving you shit. If you need help with learning a language, try finding someone online or something.

Apologies, I don't actually know anything about japanese at all. I only barged in because the idea of people being convinced into suicide over stupid bullshit like this sets me the fuck off.

Sorry I couldn't actually be any help.

Try the fuck again, you stupid fucking kike.

It’s a razor’s edge, motherfucker. Either you subscribe to moral relativism or you recognize the existence of objective truth. The former can’t help but kill themselves. The latter plod on in another direction if they hit an insurmountable wall.

what's your reading level? Kindergarten?

Read the guide, ask questions and keep blog shit to a minimum.

Start here: realkana.com/ and don't bother coming back till you can do all that.

We’re done here, kike.

Why are you complaining about strawmen and then strawmanning me?

Not very bright are you

You do it. Then you do it tomorrow, and the day after, and so on. There is no silver bullet for motivation, no magical elixir or methodology or study pattern. People have things that help them trick their brains like the Pomodoro method or changing their learning environment to avoid distractions but these only help a little. If you have the passion, you'll find the motivation once you start.

Have you considered that maybe you don't actually want to learn Japanese? That you're being pushed into it by peer pressure? You certainly sound like someone with no spine.

This.

Excuse me for not using kid gloves on a fucking anonymous imageboard. The only way to break someone out of this whiny, mopey guilt cycle is to bully the shit out of them until they develop good habits.

The more you use these words in inappropriate situations, the more meaningless they become.

I disagree. Beating the absolute shit out of someone verbally isn't the best way to go about it. In my experience in both having it done to me, doing it to people, and witnessing it, it does not get results. Typically, if someone is having issues with motivation and their activities, humiliating them doesn't make it any better.

That's not to say that it absolutely does not motivate people, I've been motivated simply to prove toxic faggots wrong before, but on average it's not the best approach for when people are having trouble.

If someone's being weak and mopey, don't coddle them, just point them in the direction they need to go and let them go from there. Simple. It doesn't take any effort or time.

I'm not saying suck his dick, I'm just saying don't tell him to suck yours.

On that point actually you weren't even that much of a problem, I was talking more about the edgelord.

Reported.

Nice strawman. Care to try again?

Sage for offtopic.
Never once said I never strawmanned you. I just said it was silly that you're crying about it then doing it yourself.

Care to try again?

Why you would willingly live in Seattle is beyond me. Move to Everett or some shit posthaste.

Your bitchy demeanor, which is common of most Floridas.

If you want to be called white, for once, change your shitskin flag.

whenabouts did you decide to start playing games?

*start playing japanese games?

I recommend watching Naruto.
N2 stands for Naruto x2

You are in a stump. Get out of the stump.
I'm on almost the exact same boat since I owe too many people too much and I've got a backlog I want to actually consume, but I'm hopping off in the next few days. Did you get something important done before entering that state? I did and the burnout has lasted half a fucking year.

I need more power for that. Lend me your meme energy if you want me to make it across the US.

HI

I'm in Seattle, please don't come and kill me. Besides, for those who aren't aware, we are overdue for a mega-tsunami level earthquake that will devastate the PCNW and basically turn everything west of the highway into a temporary ocean.

Holy fuck why did this thread turn to shit?

Your sacrifice will not be in vain.

Trying my best, Still using Busuu until my subscription is over.

Really proud of myself, I managed to watch a whole episode of One Piece without subs and understood about 65%

My wife keeps scolding me (She's chinese and hates japs) and keeps telling me to give up and learn Chinese instead. I keep telling her to join the glorious kingdom of Shu and know that Guan Yu is a Stoneward warrior.

I got back from a three week holiday in Japan two weeks ago. Using just 1.5 years of study my Japanese was good enough that I was able to step into izakayas speaking only Jap and get through without issue. In fact, I was able to strike up and maintain conversation with enough people that I befriended half the people in a Tokyo izakaya, including the owner. Using only my shitty 1.5 years of Jap.

So basically, hang in there faggots. The power is yours.

All of the failures who couldn't learn Japanese still know how to shitpost.

nice I have a year to learn

You still bought their hardware.

Don't make the mistake I did of focusing on reading/writing too much.

Get some listening practice in now if you're not. Any old shit will do. I use random news podcasts or live Jap TV via this (wilsonjj.me/jptv/#). As soon as you can string a sentence or two together, find a speaking partner online.

My speaking/listening improved massively in that three weeks (especially speaking). But they're still significantly weaker than my reading/writing.

ah thanks user

I'm a big baby who can't learn on their own without someone telling me what to do or having a course structure with deadlines. I found free courses that helped me learn skills and even get employed, there's some for languages too but I can't find anything for Japanese. I've been waiting on duolingo to add support since some friends of mine used it for other languages but it's been 2 years now and they've only done Jap->Eng not Eng->Jap.

You think it's okay to tell lies on the internet?

Been playing Sekaiju no MeiQ 5, thinking about going back to finish Demon Gaze now that 2 is out. Want to pick up Gundam Breaker 3 at some point, and can't wait for SRW V next year. Also not vidya but just got caught up on Berserk.

てやんでぇ、べらぼうめ!!

By that argument, if you buy any video games you're supporting localizations. That's silly, and ultimately meaningless anyway, since no one in their right mind would bother playing a localized game to begin with.

What games do you like to play?

Looks like it's time to pre-order Peach Beach

NIGGER. BUYING. SECOND. HAND.
WHAT IS BUYING SECOND HAND YOU ASK?
IT IS BUYING IT FROM SOMEONE ELSE AND KEEPING IT IN CIRCULATION, PREVENTING YOURSELF FROM BUYING NEW AND ADDING TO SALES STATISTICS.
THIS IS NOT HARD TO UNDERSTAND.

I don't really play games anymore.

What games would you like to play if you had time?

You're not going to find jack shit on Nich. I remember reading, back when I was a member of the Talking Time forums, that he learned early on in his career working for Atlus that the shit he says off the record on the internet in public can have ramifications.

バンプ〜

I think back in July? So it's been about 3 months now. I had trouble studying Japanese beforehand but playing games and reading manga really helps me through it reading Japanese

i just remember it as a sack like namasensei taught me

ただいま!

クーラーがとてもとても大好き!

お帰り~

こっちではもう24C/75Fだから、エアコンはお呼びじゃないw

I think I would like to play the 2 Madoka games for PSP and Vita.
I'm a huge madoka fag.

amidoinitrite?

Now do the rest.

No idea who Madoka is, but there you go! Go for it!

She's Homura's girlfriend

I can't imagine Homura would cheat on Asuka like that

I don't care about writing, and I don't care about speaking, because I'm never going to see another person who speaks Japanese in my life i'm probably never going to leave the town i was born in in my life but learning to read it sounds fine. Does every game have an option to put all the text in hiragana though? Fuck kanji, that's too much work just for vidya.

that faggot besmirches the good image of spider jerusalem

I don't think you can ignore it, user. I'm also pretty sure that reading and writing are interlocked. You need to learn them both. Then again, what do I know. I'm new at this too.

おい、全部のホモ馬鹿野郎

アニメがゴミだ。

Yeah, you'll probably never need to write it out.
You're a fucking retard. Most of learning Japanese is the Kanji. Git gud or enjoy only being able to play through Pokemon.

It does help you remember them though.

Don't even bother then. Kanji is absolutely necessary, and easier to read than all kana.

Does anyone have his videos? He taken them down, and I wish I could have gotten them.

youtube.com/watch?v=nqJ5wU4FamA&list=PL9987A659670D60E0
I don't know if this is all of them but here you go

You're a fucking legend, mate.

Cheers.

Believe it or not, kanji will make it EASIER to read Japanese, to the point where eventually you'll hate reading shit that's only Kana.

There's torrents floating around with all his videos. I downloaded one years ago but they're probably still being seeded.

Help me Holla Forums
Please motivate me to keep going after learning 6 months.
I'm at the point where I have to decide if I keep this up or not.
I can already read easy shit like yotsubato, but I don't enjoy reading as much as I expected.

I thought it would blew my mind away, when I start reading my first Japanese manga but I don't really care anymore.
I feel like it's sad that I had to study as much as I did to even understand 90% of a manga for children with fucking furigana in it.
Give me some very good reasons to keep doing this or else I might do a mistake.

Why do you even want to learn?

Video games

すごい。 During those 1.5 years, did you have a Japanese friend to speak with or more passive study techniques like Anki, videogames, など?

Namasensei has already made his videos public again, he had to remove a bunch of videos from his channel because of a guy who appeared in them with him that he used to associate with who threatened him and his (Japanese) wife as well as his social circle of friends. And he also had to deal with Youtube's bullshit, getting his country set back to the United States because he left Japan a year ago and returned to America.

Namasensei's videos are all back up, other than the cooking ones.

I slowly moved through Genki for grammar. Used memrise (basically anki online) for vocab/kanji. Wasn't until like a month before I went that I started using a speaking partner online. Hence my speaking/listening is so weak.

ドロシー可愛いよドロシー

WE HAVE COME TO TERMS

バンプ~

What games you guys been playing? I started Growlanser and it's pretty good. It's got that delicious Urushihara art and a lot of choices to make.

Hey, so here's a question: Should I learn katakana along with hiragana before moving on to grammar/kanji?

Yes

no, just quit now.

But Kotick, how will they be able to read the "Western Dogshit" label your games get if they can't read Katakana?

You can go ahead and start learning grammar and kanji since vocabulary will be shown in hiragana most of the time.
But katakana is easier to pick up and you'll see it a lot, especially when dealing with foreign words/names (like ボッブ or  アリス that learning texts use as example names), so I'd suggest maybe doing that first.

You'll most likely do what I did. Learn the kana and fail to study anything beyond that besides basic shit like particles.

Katakana is mandatory. Do it.

Dammit, I want to get Persona 5 but the site I get my PSN codes from is all sold out. Why the fuck doesn't Japanese PSN accept western payment methods yet?

There's nothing anybody can say. It would reasonably take around 3 years of consistent work just to fully understand college-level writing. There's a reason almost anybody who actually tries this shit exclusively for the purpose of consuming media just gives up after a short while, it's stupidly fucking hard and takes an absurd amount of dedication because the language is absolutely fucked.

Same reason they block people from playing shit like PSO3, because they're legit xenophobic which is for the best if we don't want their media taking niggerdicks up the ass like everything in the West. Just be a good goy and buy an overpriced code from PlayAsia, that's what I did for P5 and it was still worth every penny. Fantastic game even as a total fucking illiterate, honestly.

PSO2*

Get Caligula instead

I thought when they added PayPal support I would finally be able to add money directly to my wallet, but nope, they even have some address block on that. That's honestly the worst part of playing Japanese games, they are overpriced and have so many pointless barriers to even get them. At least most systems can be pirated/emulated.

Why?

Well, I mean if you're looking for something by the guy who actually wrote Persona, Caligula's the way to go. Persona 5 just looks to be yet another Persona 3.

But I liked Persona 3.

I managed it in a little under two years, but that was living in Japan.

It really isn't. It just looks that way due to the different writing system. Japanese is a much more straightforward language than English because it has next to no irregularities whereas I remember having to memorize a massive list comprising several hundred irregular verbs in my 7th grade English classes.
"You must have learned it when you were five years old!"
Twenty five, actually. The catch there is that I learned English when I was very young, and I've heard that people who learn at least one other language at a young age have a much easier time learning new languages even as adults.

You've done what I am incapable of doing then user.

You have to first understand that no language on earth (that I know of) is like English, instead in all other languages everything you're saying is actual literal SIMPLE words strung together (sometimes condensed". Japanese for example: "samukatta (寒かった) "was cold" is made up of:

samu 寒 (cold), koto 事 (event, circumstance), ari 有る (existance), ta (no longer doing) —> samuk(oto) atta "event of cold's existance is-over" —> samukatta "it was cold". "Ari ta" changes into "atta" because Japanese R is actually a D (=T with sound) produced in a different location in the mouth than our English D, and blah blah you guys don't care why it happens but it has a reason.

Literally every piece of grammar, every single verbform in Japanese, and most words in general are just small things put together like this. The end result is EXTREMELY logical and easy to remember if you know its parts. All those particles are just condensed phrases or words (ex. kereba ければ= koto are wa ことあれは). You want a learning resource that actually teaches why things are the way they are. Tip: if it claims Japanese has adjectives, it's shit and wrong and you should find something else. Also make sure you learn sentence structure first thing ("what comes before, describes what comes after": when, where, why, what kind of, how, comes before "what").

Past that just learn the most useful stuff:
— how to say "location (in place, time or situation)" (に、で)
— how to say ownership (の、が)
— present, past, and whatever other verbforms appear the most
— whatever words appear the most in what you want to understand (if you want to watch anime, get subtitle files and make a word frequency list).

Past that, just jump in and go. Always read stuff with context, make your own dictionary of "guessed meanings based on context" if you have to.

Know why you're discouraged? Because you're not seeing immediate results.

And yet he still runs his mouth

Second highest is usually what I pick on my first playthrough. He's literally afraid of failing at something that lets you try again.

You cannot learn japanese
You can (not) learn japanese
You can't learn japanese
You are unable to learn japanese
Japanese is impossible for you to learn
You lack the ability required to learn japanese
Japanese will forever be nothing but moonrunes to you

Can you recc. some reading on sentence structure?

How the hell is that scumbag still employed. It's reasons like this that you NEED to learn Japanese

So kanji is based on chinese characters. Does this mean that if you git gud at nipponese that you'll also know chinese words as well?

yes, but you can't learn Japanese.

Somewhat, but not much. There are some differences between their usage and meanings.

Ok, but can you explain why the hell katakana is a thing when it's essentially different symbols for the same exact phonetic sounds? Why create an entirely separate set of symbols for the sake of conveying the same exact sounds?

I mean, I'm still really fucking new at this, so I apologize for my ignorance, but from what I can tell

あ is always going to be "a" and
ァ is also always going to be "a"
it's the SAME FUCKING THING

I know that katakana is supposed to be used to communicate foreign names/concepts/whatever but I don't see why those things can't be conveyed using hiragana. It seems superfluous.

They were historically used for different purposes by different people. Suck it up, the kana are the least of your worries.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katakana
Reasons. It doesn't matter.
Study it in a day or two, at least pronunciation stays consistent unlike in english.

He's right though the absolute highest should be clearly marked as "the correct way"

I still don't get why people think Japanese is anything less than an essential skill for someone who likes video games.

Why the hell do we have both capital and lower case letters in English?

Incomparable, really bad example to use.

How so?

Capital letters are not used for specific words, whereas katakana is.

How so? I'd say having both capital and lower case letters is just as, if not more redundant than having both Hiragana and Katakana.

every day until I die

I know that feel. Just force yourself to do it. Give yourself some incentive. Even if you only do like 10 new words/exercises a day, it's better than nothing. You have to make it a habit, rather than trying to continuously keep yourself motivated, because motivation is a fleeting thing. Make it so that studying is just something you do, like brushing your teeth or using the bathroom. Something you don't even really question.

Nigga, I can tell just from the thumbnail you don't know what the fuck you're doing.

Well you're right. I just started learning like three days ago. However, you can't learn if you don't make mistakes. So, I'm confident that I can make it look like I know what the fuck I'm doing if I put in a few more months of work. Why don't you create a video and tell me what I'm doing wrong if you know how to do the nipponese so well, hm?

愚か者!虫けらが日本語を習わない!

I don't know video-making, but the thumbnail problem is that ち is chi, while し is shi

wat

I know. If you watch the video you'll see that I corrected it.

He said "Fool! Pathetic worms can't learn Japanese!"

As for the video correction, fair enough, just saying that's probably what he meant when he said "from the thumbnail"

The answer was obvious, but I needed it. Thanks. Nice Shinobi music, too.

>implying foreign words aren't often written in italic

HOL UP
This symbol is "O"

But also this symbol is "O"

What's up with that? Also how do you pronounce ふ? Is it HU or FU?

The former is the letter O in hiragana.
The latter is how you show a direct object in a sentence. Both sound the same.
ふ is a mixture of hu and fu, so fhu.

を is technically wo, though it's pronounced as o.

Retard here. Why is masturbate not written おなにい?

Because it's not a Japanese word, it's from "onanism"

Oh, so it's オナニー. Had no idea so many words were loaned. I thought it was only proper nouns and shit.

There's a shitton of borrowed words, and sometimes words that started as nouns get turned into verbs (or at least I assume) like アルバイト being borrowed from German and used as a noun, then turned into a verb as バイトする

Go be retarded somewhere else

Tried to start vocab today.

It took me 93 fuckdamn answers to clear 10 new cards in anki. Most I only got correct after it started showing me the same card again with only 1 in between.

Does it ever get easier? Am I literally retarded?

No, i have the same problem.
Is it the numbers and counters? Consider suspending them.

It only got harder for me, but 10 new cards is fucking nothing.
Try 30 everday until you hit 3k words, with 500 reviews everyday.
Yeah that's what hell is like.

What a worthless LARPing thread.

You have to go back

Yes.
No.
It takes time for new information to reach long term memory. The best times to study are right after you wake up and just before you go to bed. If you're feeling burnt out take a break, exercise but don't procrastinate. Learning a second language is a marathon; not a sprint.

Suck it up. You're gonna have to learn it sometime, may as well do it now.

So I finished learning hiragana. It took about a week and I know all the symbols and their corresponding sounds and how to make them. I am somewhat confident in my ability to understand each individual symbol just by looking at it. I still pause in between looking at characters but I know that with practice and regular review I will eventually be able to recall each symbol much faster. I will start katakana next. Something I noticed is that all of the G's in hiragana are just K's but with two little marks (dakuten?) on the base symbols. Same with Z's and S's, D's and T's, and B's, P's, and H's.

Is this sort of how the whole "learning kanji radicals" approach works? It was significantly easier for me to learn the G's Z's D's B's and P's because they're based on symbols I already knew. Before I begin grammar, should I first learn all 200 of the individual pieces of Kanji before doing the whole Core2k thing?

So if if my trouble with vocab is more or less normal, how is it possible to go through Genki at roughly 2 weeks per chapter, as I've seen to be a commonly recommended pace? It would take more than 2 weeks just to know the vocab well enough to read example sentences without referencing the definitions at the beginning of the chapter for every other word, let alone working through the exercises and practicing grammar.

I can't practice Japanese right now because of muh college French but back when I was regularly working at it, I found that doing a chapter every few days and practicing vocab every day provided the best results. Alongside that I'd throw in a deck or two of common phrases and expressions so that I could flow well in the context of basic conversational Japanese and get an intuitive grasp of the language's grammar.

If you're practicing a topic from a book you shouldn't do your formal vocab memorization in the same vein of study (though you should still practice the topic vocab). You should also seek out proper pronunciations and read about Japanese culture.

Finally the most important thing when setting out to learn a language is to memorize the vocab you need to say and read the things you are interested in. For example, I get matched with a lot of Québécois memelords on CS:GO, so I learned the basic French expressions and vocabulary I needed to piss the frogs off and get myself kicked. For Japanese, I used en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Japanese/Vocabulary/Videogame in order to learn how to navigate hgames and get started with untranslated pokemon games. I don't really know Spanish in any formal capacity but I know how to get all the spics in the room worshiping my gringo ass. You should get the point by now.

This method might not be the most "technically" efficient but most people learn better when they are interested in what they are doing and more importantly it will help prevent you from giving up half way through.

Huh, it's funny how there are idioms that are similar to English in both their literal and colloquial meaning, like "don't get carried away" and 「調子に乗るな」.

Yeah I've noticed a lot of funny coincidences like that too. For example 秘伝 (pronounced ひでん) meaning "secret", which sounds a lot like the English word "hidden".

Yeah, when I heard them say 秘伝忍法 in Senran Kagura, for the longest time I thought it was the English word "hidden".

I personally love 「手を貸す」 with "lend a hand." Also, not the literal part, but 「朝飯前」 and "Piece of cake" are great in that they can substitute for each other not just in intended meaning but even in tone and attitude.

Don't think I've seen that before. I'll have to remember that is an idiom.

The impression I've gotten from my students is that it's a somewhat out of date phrase that now you'd only hear geezers using, to the point they're surprised I know it then I surprise them even more with 「てやんでぇ、べらぼうめ!」 but yeah, it's almost identical to "piece of cake" in terms of meaning.

Well that gives you 14 days to do 12 sections which is manageable with time to spare. Don't worry about not knowing every word before you begin, work through the book and you will start to remember what they are. Create an anki deck for them, you'll be surprised how quickly you remember.

also
Thinking like this will kill your motivation. Work at your own pace.

Use www.realkana.com and learnjapanesepod.com/kana-invaders/

If we're thinking of the same thing then don't bother doing it. Even natives say learning kanji via radicals is stupid; just dive straight into the core 2k.

Wait is an official Nintendo employee telling people to not buy a product that's on a Nintendo console?
How the fuck is that idiot still employed?

Nah, that was back when he was an Atlus employee.

Yeah, but he's not going ever going to say or do anything too incriminating.

Remember back when people were pissed off at Treehouse's hack job of Fire Emblem? I do. I remember seeing his name a lot at first, then him and Allison Rapp were often mentioned, then just Rapp by herself. Why did that happen? Was it because Rapp was a woman and woman bad? Or was it because Maragos did the smart thing and kept his mouth shut while Rapp went and confronted people and gave them something to latch onto?

I suppose you could say that Nich Maragos let Allison take the… RAPP.

I assumed it was because there are more dirt to use on her, like the fact she was literally whoring herself out while working for a company that desperately promotes a family friendly image.

tomato toe-mah-to

I love writing that phrase down for my students and watching them get confused, then writing Katakana トメイト and トマト underneath each to make the phrase easier to understand

stupid that I only notice this now

Except woman is おんな. オナホ is オナニー plus ホール.

The one that took me forever to realise was エッチ is just H.

oh wow, I though they actually pronounced the i in chi

They do No one said we're any good at English

Please recommend me some games that I can play in Japanese if I'm at "can barely read yotsubato" level.

Zelda games might not be bad? Also, the language level is a bit higher, but Bravely Default and Second both are fully voiced with dialogue boxes beneath so you can hear readings for kanji, and have scene viewers to let you replay scenes to pick up language. A lot of shit on the Vita has log features too, like Persona 4 The Golden or Omega Labyrinth.

黄金の太陽 ?

出る杭は打たれる

Well I don't know, we should really create a list for nipponese learners shouldn't we?

There have been worse ideas.

We had one and then it was vandalized and nobody bothered to revert it.

Go ahead and start a new one.

I don't really see the point. Everyone has different tastes, so I think the best thing to start with is one of your favorites that you already played before in English.

i personally would appreciate this

What does "shiteiru nda" mean? しているんだ

a typhoon of a sort did hit the northwest, it's traveling from seattle down to portland and getting weaker on the way.
it's not too stronk but the hipsters might be afraid anyway.

Something like "I'm doing it" depending on the context.

The ん is a shortening of の from the explanatory mode of sentences; with the だ just being a casual way of asserting the statement. So しているんだ is roughly "It's happening, you see.".

guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/nounparticles
About halfway down the page is an explanation of the grammar rule. It's really weird coming from English as we don't really have such a system.

Some games are a lot easier than others to play in moon, and it isn't always obvious.

Pokemon for example is utter hell to play thanks to being all kana. 黄金の太陽 is surprisingly low level compared to the sheer wall of text of the (not accurate) NoA translation.

That's sad.

daily reminder you are cancer

The reading list is just fine. Even if it weren't you can view past revisions to look at an older version of it. It probably for the most part hasn't seen any new entries for years though.

Thank you, user! I have watched a few hours of the TV stream you posted and have dramatically improved my listening skills. Before, I just listened to Tofubeats and DAOKO while showering every morning. I went from being able to catch maybe 2 words in a song before your post to hearing distinct words with a grammatical structure to understanding half the words in songs in days. I can understand a lot of the kids shows and some of the odd pop news shows, too. Just watching TV really works for some reason. You helped me so much!♡

When I started out, I spent 3-5 hours on my daily Anki review. I was stuck like that for 2 months. One day, I finished within an hour. After that magic day, my time dropped until stagnating around 40 minutes per day. (I had 30 new words then and since have dropped to 20 or 10 for the semester, which takes 20-30 minutes.) I'll share how I encouraged myself, and hopefully it helps for others.

What helped me reach that magic moment was watering down my deck by adding words I'm already familar with (baka, hakama, Okinawa, udon, naginata, tsubaki, etc). That way, I only need to learn their kanji instead of 100% new words. Once I got comfortable seeing their kanji and their most frequent pronunciations, I had a foothold for new words, since the 80/20 rule quickly kicks in.

What also helped me was Heisig's Remembering the Kanji. The way he teaches to write creates clear distinctions in my head among similar kanji. The more primitives I know, the easier it is to distinguish new kanji.

I'm new.

What the fuck is the point of katakana? It seems to have exactly the same phonetic sounds as hiragana. Is it literally just to denote foreign words like fucking コンピュータ or however you spell it.

Why can't I just write こんぴゅた or something instead?

lol nerd I'm sorry I'll kill myself now

Right now finishing off Hiragana and moving onto Katakana shortly.

I'm getting a bit ahead of myself but in regards to Kanji, is it necessary to learn the strokes and how to write them by hand?

Or am I OK to just learn their meaning, creating a mnemonic to identify, and pronunciation? The only reason I ask is because while learning Hiragana I've actually omitted learning their stroke orders, though I can identify each character.

You will be bullied by the autists if you don't learn stroke order, but it's not that important.
It's more important knowing what they mean than the correct order of lines.

well, mashed potato tits, I'd think that stroke order is always important unless otherwise specified. I mean, they emphasize the idea that STROKE ORDER IS IMPORTANT when you're learning your hiragana, so why wouldn't that principle carry over to learning other aspects of the language?

That's exactly what I do, I simply avoid translated games completely and play English games the way they were meant to be played. (English is not my native language BTW.)

Well I guess I'm prepared to be bullied, I just don't care to write out things by hand on paper rather than just read and speak. That's the only reason I was curious if it's really essential if you aren't planning to hand write the language.

Necessary to learn: pronunciation and meaning.RADICALS radicals are important. 
If you intend to write it is also necessary to learn stroke order.If not then stroke order is important but you can get by without it. Generally if you know radicals you will be able to do the proper stroke order well enough.

Mate, why are you typing in fullwidth.

Are you me? I've learnt some basic kanji, but I'm really not sure where to go from here. Should I go for more beginner kanji or try learning grammar first?

Sorry I forgot to switch.

Do both at the same time. Grammar is easy and will let you get experience using kanji for real life things. This will further improve your retention of kanji and it's more fun.

I majored in Japanese in university and have been studying the language for more than half my life. I don't know shit about stroke order. I can read maybe 1000 kanji, but write maybe 100.

Good for you user, you're a shining example to all those faggots who think learning other languages for vidya is silly though to be fair Battletoads doesn't exactly require a lot of reading

Search for games that support furigana. Those are pretty helpful.

To be fair I haven't actually COUNTED, I'm just guesstimating based on the fact that the average Japanese adult supposedly can read about 2000.

Man, you could have spent all that uni money and time living in Japan and actually have made progress. What is your motivation for learning Japanese anyways?

I'm going to japan to study art but I need to learn N2 but the school in japan has a language class for ganijins to learn nip so should I try learning it to get my N2 here or go to moonland to learn then learn art in japan Holla Forums?

Yeah, but I'm living in Japan now, so whatever.

Video games mainly.

I had N2 before I went, but if they offer classes, worth a shot I guess.

I would say it just depends on how much time you have. If you feel you can learn it in time for you to move, then go ahead, but if you need to move quickly and don't have time to study, then maybe you're better off taking their courses. However, a viable alternative would be to get a private tutor if you have the time and can afford to do so.

Well I plan on spending two years there as that's how long the program for art there is but I want to leave in 2018 but I hear from a half nip pal that it'll take me very hard work so would a tutor work plus I live in Cancuck.

Stop lying to yourself user. It's time to abandon the third dimension.

Can't user, I work with a qt aryan christian girl and to give up this shot would mean I would actually have to kill myself.

If human being die, does that mean chines cartoons die with us?

Is 「実は」 pronounced like 「じつわ」; it sounds like it, but I'm not sure.

The particle は is always pronounced わ. This is basic stuff, so you should really go over your learning material again.

I have not yet started grammar. I have yet to begin katanana. However, could you explain why HA is used to sound like WA?

Pronunciation and writing change over time, which creates quirks like these. I'm sure your native language has something similar.
I don't know what happened to は specifically. If you want to know that, you'll have to find someone who actually studies the Japanese language together with its history.

But 実はis a word; the はisn't a particle unless my J>E dictionary is lying to me and some of the sentences I've ran into have had 2 topics.

実は is a set phrase, not a word. Just like 今日は.

は is the subject marker. So it's like saying "Regarding the truth, blah blah…". Hence it's more naturally translated to "As a matter of fact…".

二次元の女は最高
三次元の女はサイコ

Fun fact: unlike 男, which is used by itself, saying simply ”女” by itself is considered rude. You might hear it when a man is angry or being condescending toward a woman; yakuza are fond of it. More commonly, people will use ”女の子” for girls, or ”女の人” for women.

The more you know.

そうですか?

I m having a lot of fun. I want to begin playing final fantasy 1 and princess crown on the psp by the end pf this month.

Post mellow vidya music for studying

バンプ~

How is that Japanese coming along anons?

With this thread being made a billion times, there's still no Japanese learning going on. Just people saying "yeah I can" or "no i cant im learning". Whats the purpose of the thread?

Making progress as usual.

You want us to keep an online diary of something so you can track our progress?

I'm quite sure 女子(じょし) is more popular than 女の人.

Did you know that you can use ナニ(何) to refer to genitals?

We can help each other and motivate each other.
I would also write Japanese with other anons but I can't form Japanese sentences for shit.

Man there are so many ways to refer to a girl or women holy shit.

女の子
少女
女子

娘子

嬢さん

No didn't know that, but recently read something where they used あれ to refer to their genitals.

Slow but steady. And by that I mean I occasionally look up new things I see in chink drawings and if I'm lucky I even memorize them.

I learned it from Hackadoll.

Anyone got a recommendation on some good games with a lot of text?
I'm thinking of one of the earlier Fire Emblem games, even though the kanji might kill me.

Pretty sure the first three are only used for children.

女子 is used mostly for school-age girls. It's also generally used to refer to girls in general, not an individual girl. You'll probably mostly see it in jukugo like 女子学生、女子校、女子トイレ and so on.

I found these videos. they explain the use of partices really well. Kind of basic but they get complex

youtube.com/watch?v=KUIWRsVZZZA

I have been pronouncing the U along with it. When she says (たべます) TABEMASU, for example, she doesn't pronounce the U. Why is that?

It's just a thing they do in Japanese. It's the same with です. Sometimes they also omit the "i" sound at the end of a しtoo. It's probably because saying it like that flows better.

Some vocals can be dropped or muted. This is usually done with the U and I vocals because pitch or something.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elision#Japanese
japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/1095/what-are-the-rules-regarding-mute-vowels-u-after-s-and-i-after-sh
Dropped or muted vowels shouldn't cause any problems for learners since it tends to be obvious which vocal is dropped: when I is dropped it's usually with shi and chi; U in most other cases.

Got it. Thanks. [すごい!] [ありがとう!]

If you hate kanji, the original two on the Famicom don't have any.

youtube.com/watch?v=_Og4D3XWgZw
This dude has a few kanji writing videos, for anons who want to improve writing

Don't give up fags

Thanks, m8.

Anyone know what this might be?
All I can get is "thief" and "money"

Well fuck, I just realized I don't have an answer key for the genki 1st edition book and I can't source one online, only one I can find is the second edition answers which don't match the questions. Any idea's where to look?

What's the context?

Best I can guess it's "Well if it's just a thief; money, eh?"
But if it's the context of like a dude being stopped on the road or something it could very well be "Well if you're just a thief, you're after money, no?".

If is a thief these aren't just money uh?

I don't think that おかね is money, because of the え after it. ねえ is usually slang for ない, so the last part is probably more like おかないよ.

torrentproject.se/5e79de34fa083143bc3486fca38ee6e1a5afbae8/Genki-I-II-2nd-Edition-+-Tobira-torrent.html
This torrent has the answer key. I have not downloaded anything from this torrent, so I cannot verify its integrity. Download at your own risk.

Of course. Hurrrrr. I'm so used to "ぜ" being "ぞ" when following ”ねえ”. Mainly because it flows better off the tongue.

Disregard this; that torrent has the second edition

Yeah, probably that's a better idea since the 2nd edition key is already available, cheers.

I think that's correct. It's one guy yelling at another.

no
apparently "tada ja okanai" it's a common phrase in mangus and it means "you'll pay for this"

so it's basically "If you're a thief you'll pay for that!"

source
ejje.weblio.jp/content/ただじゃおかないぞ

Ok, thanx.
Common phrases/sland always fucks me up

I'd guess this is how a Japanese person would feel if he came into one of these threads.

バンプ~

あなたの「腹が立った」話を聞かせて下さい!

rapp was right
except about the being a whore thing

Welcome to America, where they're such pussies that they need an Easy Mode added to the games and called "Normal" so they don't feel bad about the fact that they're playing an Easy Mode.

Oh boy did I fuck up.
Long story short I'm now using genki 1 second edition and the answer key is available here: docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxzbWNuaWhvbmdvMXxneDo3OGU4NTEwYTJlNTI1NzVk
dropping link in thread mainly due to there being no torrents with the second edition answer key

And remove the hardest mode at the same time.

why would you not want a hurricane to hit you?

I'm so lazy again send help.
I still have 400 reviews to do please kill me.

godzilla isnt a hurricane

I'm not making any progress whatsoever currently.
Over the last few weeks I did my anki reps and read a little bit of yotsubato, but the latter only once a week cause I lacked the time or energy.

I'm not getting anywhere like this, I need like 90min for anki now and after that, I often feel like my head explodes.
Should I cap reviews at 250 or something like that and read more instead?

I also need to learn more about grammar, I only know the absolute basics and can't form even a simple Japanese sentence.
Fuck me.

Don't cap your reviews, lower your new cards.

Don't do so many new cards if you can't handle that many reviews.

Capping reviews by too much will cause them to pile up and become delayed beyond the optimal review time which Anki aims to provide, so I wouldn't recommend it.

I'd maybe go little to no new cards for a bit, doing reviews while brushing up on grammar and doing some reading. Your reviews should kind of stabilize at a somewhat lower amount after some time since you're not adding new ones. Then try slowly adding a lower amount of new cards, gauging how it affects your review count over time to find a new card count that's more manageable.

Which game were you thinking of? I was thinking Rockman 2

Final fantasy 1 n 2 for the psp have kanji and kana options. Ff1 seems fairly understandable

Hey, so, fuck me. Katakana SHI and TSU are practically identical.

Same with ン and ソ. :^)

That's fucking gay. So there's no other symbols or another way of writing them that can help tell them apart? sort of like how some people write そ [SO] like pic related?

シ and ン are horizontal (bottom stroke is written left to right), ツ and ソ are vertical (bottom stroke is written up to down).

I guess I'll eventually get it, given enough practice. What I want to know is what genius thought that would be a good idea. Some Japanese man from thousands of years ago is rolling with laughter in his grave somewhere.

Thread is autosaging now, yeah? Time for a new one?

someone made a new one