DS vs GameBoy Advance

All things considered, which was the better system? Now that we've had time to reflect I think you could make a good argument that the dual-screen gimmick held a lot of games back while the Advance was a much simpler system that allowed games to breathe and transferred some classics to the portable world in an excellent way.

Just take for example Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire which were much better comparatively than Diamond and Pearl. A lot of sequels on the DS felt rushed, awkward and inspired. Metroid Hunters… Phantom Hourglass. They didn't have the same charm and depth as their GBA counterparts.

Other urls found in this thread:

paste.ubuntu.com/23285353/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bump.

They were both shit.
The original Gameboy was the only good one.

In terms of hardware, DS, In terms of just game library the GBA

Not even just because of the dual screens but because it was a legitimately better piece of hardware that learned from the mistakes of the GBA

I think this was moreso because a lot of Diamond and Pearl just rehashed Ruby and Sapphire. R&S at the time was doing things that were way beyond the scope of G/S/C so they had a lot more freedom to be creative with the graphics and environment of the game. With Diamond and Pearl they were still working with flat 2D sprites but they could overlay them on 3D environments. And there just wasn't really enough you could do without dramatically changing the overall gameplay.

I think in terms of controls having the battle screen and the menu split between two screens was a brilliant idea

I don't think this had much to do with the DS as much as it did with the state of the game industry at the time and how a lot of these studios were already in rapid decline. Like Capcom eventually just stopped making Megaman games at around this time. I don't think the technology of the DS had anything to do with it. If anything it helped a lot since it lead to a lot of ports of GBA games to it. Like the entirety of the Megaman Zero games were ported to the DS in a single cartridge. Mario 64 was also ported to the DS.

I don't see the Dual screen as a gimmick at all. I see it as a very obvious improvement over the sorts of games that were usually played on the GBA. Namely rpgs, platformers and so forth. It allowed for uncluttering the main gameplay screen and allowing players to do menu fiddling without having to stop the flow of gameplay.

How do you go about comparing Metroid Prime Hunters to the Metroid releases on the GBA?

They're both shits. Just play N-gage, OP.

It's more likely that no one have ever design game on a DS. Just check the differences between the early DS games and later DS games. GBA games are just super nintendo games on a small screen.

What a dumb question. Just get a DS fat or DS lite and it will play both.

Are you a retard? Can you read?

I DUNNO OP

Holy fuck I'm talking about the quality of the systems game libraries and enjoyability overall are you fucking dense? It's not enough to be wrong but you have to be smug about it too?

You said
The answer is the one that can play both systems' games, moron.

It's like you stopped reading after the first sentence just to shit on me with a no-info reply. And you're still playing smug. Unbelievable. I am actually fucking shaking right now. I really just can't believe this shit.

You kinda negate anything you are implying in the first sentence.

The DSi loses its backwards compatibility whilst you can still play GB and GBC games with with the SP's backlight, IIRC

Decent King's Field-like game.

god damn this thread is full of objectively incorrect statements

So instead of correcting anything you downvote?

are you retarded?
the DS can play both DS games and GBA games

and the GBA can play GBA, GBC and Gameboy games.

GBA confirmed superior.

YOU'RE DUMB WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

WHICH GAMES WERE BETTER SHIT EATER

DS.

By that logic, the chain of superiority would be PC > 3DS >DS > GBA = PSP (although PSP now has shitty DS emu)

Wait PSP should outrank GBA because it can do SNES as well

DS

GBA had it's gems but the DS had even more good games. And you can play both in a modern phone so it's not like you have to suffer choosing.

I see no problem with this

why would you put PC in that list, put every system capable of emulating shit then

If you read the post instead of being an extremely dumb nigger thinking i'm… what looking for recommendations on what system to buy? Are you fucking stupid? If you read the post you could clearly see what I was getting at. And I got my fucking answer from other anons, just not you and the other members of the Smug Idiot Brigade.

Gross

Fuck you nigger, Platinum was good.

I'll agree that D/P were both shit, but Platinum, despite still being as slow as molasses, was a good game due to the improvements it made.

Nigger what

PC > 3DS = PSP (PSP coming out slightly on top for native PS1 play) > DS > GBA for emulation

let's see you fit a PC in your pocket, joe

you were saying?

must be contain paste.ubuntu.com/23285353/

What systems can emulate DS games besides the PC and PSP? The 3ds can't yet, you have to use a flash card.

Nice argument you have there buddy :^)
But really, it's more like

Have you ever owned an android phone?

I thought so

you said the previous games were shit
platinum is P/D with "improvements" according to yourself
if what I said is not an argument, neither is anything you said
Platinum didn't need to exist at all
Pearl and Diamond were already shit enough, and then came White and Black to put another heap of shit on top of it all

I would say the GBA had better remakes of old games and a bigger quality library, but the DS definitely has some great games on it as well.

This isn't even a contest user. The DS is the superior system because it could play both systems libraries. It's like asking if the PS1 or PS2 is the superior system, the answer is obviously the PS2.

So the PC is the most superior system of all because it can emulate all those games? Do you really think that's what I'm asking? Read the fucking thread.

Then you should phrase your question better. Your first line should have been "Which had the better library?" not "Which is the better system?" because I'm only going to answer the question that's written and not the question that is vaguely implied, you double nigger

are you an homosexual?

Nobody cares what you asked anymore. The discussion has branched out. Stop being such a selfish Susan.

Might as well be considering I've seen actual cocksuckers phrase their questions better than OP has

Well, D/P/Pl are slow as fuck too.
Yeah, 4th gen is really the weakest after X/Y.

But there are some DS games that used the touch screen as a menu and map screen and not shoving touch controls on your face like Pokémon. Ace Attorney "remasters" used to just point and click making the experience better but you could also use the normal buttons. Some games used gimmicks like closing the portable so the upper screen "stamped" something on the lower screen like Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks is just a better game like Black/White are better than Diamond/Pearl.
So maybe it's just a matter of developers being used to a new system and the later games better than the previous ones. The two new buttons helped a lot more than the touch screen for me.

I should have phrased that better. I meant "major improvements".

These are minor but I felt like I should mention them anyways

PC can only play PC games, you need a separate computer to play DOS games, older stuff requires a unique computer.
Win95 is beast since it can play both windows and DOS games.

But ultimately GBA is top tier since it's the only thing that can play 3 systems at once. All that power in your pocket!

But that's wrong you fucking idiot.

Don't get mad at me because you didn't ask the right question.

Android phones are literally just small Linux PCs.

But the DS can emulate gbc, gb, nes and some snes games via flashcard emulators.

and gameboy lite, but only in japan

Any modern x86/x86-64 computer can technically run DOS and therefore most DOS games, just not properly because DOS only supports sound cards from the era and some games are dependent on clock speed.

Nigga I've used this thing even in my workplace for old ass dos business applications. I've yet to run into a DOS game it doesn't run pretty well

Hoennbabby detected. Platinum is one of the best Pokemon games. Ruby and Sapphire are probably the worst. Even though D&P aren't as good as Pt, they're still much better than Gen III, which removed more features than it fucking added. Gen IV just fixed most of the different ways Gen III fucked up the franchise.

Negro you didn't get the joke

I really like the GBA, but I've also enjoyed quite a bit of DS games like Strange Journey and the World ends With You. I guess you could say I like the GBA when it comes to stuff like Metroid and I like the DS when it comes to RPGS and similar games.

Gee OP, that sure is a toughie.

DS was superior in every way. Even if you didn't like the DS games(you must have some seriously shit taste) you can just pop your GBA games in.

I bet you keep your wallet in your pocket too

I preferred the microswitch buttons on my original SP, but my DS Lite was wider and offered a brighter, backlit screen to play on. If it could do multiplayer GBA it'd be even better, but otherwise for singleplayer GBA games it depends on whether or not you want better buttons or better button layout and screen.
If we're comparing game libraries, I liked them about the same. DS multiplayer is unmatched though.

That's subjective. I liked the Hoenn games, but I also liked a lot of content that Sinnoh added and never hated Diamond and Pearl. Platinum was a big step up from DP, but I'll never defend gen4 as a whole being so slow. I'd say you should compare Emerald and Platinum because they were the best games of their respective trios, but you didn't really compare anything. You just said one was better without explaining why. What did gen3 do better other than not being as slow? better region? better side content?

Yeah, but ergonomically the DS was shit compared to the GBA (not SP)
It just felt perfect in your hands and was just cozy as fuck