Shit in games that scared you as a kid

I'll start with the obvious.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Up1LXlGx1dM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What the fuck is this and why were you playing it?

Can't find an adequate screenshot, but that part in Broken Sword 2 when you have to avoid a patrolling guard or he kills you. It's not like I didn't play games with a lot of danger to them either. I guess the stiff point and click controls mixed with danger made it worse.

Got it as a present, you're the angel on the cover and have to possess people to kill other people. I think it was the first ultra-violent game I've ever played, that's why it kinda scarred me.

When I was like 7 I nearly drowned at a waterpark because of the volume of fat fucks in innertubes, I can confirm, drowning is fucking horrifying.

Eventually I got over it. Then I played System Shock 2.

Fuck this

Use to have a really old NES book that had all sorts of tips and tricks for NES games out at the time.

Owned a small fraction of them but loved looking at all the others in the book. Except for the page that had Medusa from Castlevania. This sprite really freaked me out. Mostly due to that alter behind the head looking like it was some sort of four legged beast. The thought that it could charge at you really freaked me out.

Also the first time I fought king koopa in Mario World with his clown blimp thing freaked me the hell out. I had to shut off the game and come back to it when I got my wits back.

I think if I could have one wish it would be to be able to experience videogames in this way again. Games used to shock and surprise and scare me, now I feel pretty much nothing and hope for a dull, comfortable, happy feeling of progression

No joke, this ruined water levels for me. I can't finish Metroid Prime 2 due to one section being underwater for a good chunk of time.

Monster Hunter 3U I stopped because I have a legit deep sea fear both IRL and in games thanks to this fucking fish.

At least in Metroid Samus doesn't have an air meter to worry about when underwater, since her suit is already providing oxygen due to being on alien worlds anyhow. You usually get upgrades to enable better movement and/or visibility in water too, but until then it's best to avoid the water where possible.

Have fun with the Alpha Blogg if you ever get back to it.

It was Alpha Blogg that made me reach for the Gamecube at lighting speed to turn it off in a panic. It was a rental so I never touched it since. I should go back to it, since it's been 10 years and my roommate has a copy of it.

Those snowmen creeped me out.

When you'd beat them up they would show a robotic skeletal form under the cute snowman look. it was pretty freaky, but the thing that got me from that game was the fucking Shogun boss who's head flew around the fight.

I really hated the paper tigers in that level.

These fucking assholes.

STEALTH IN ANY GAME

I was mildy concerned for several days until my dad explained that the whole thing was a coding error, revealing that I'd been a colossal retard the entire time.

Even in a stealth game?

Stealth games are the greatest horror games

Stalchildren and redeads in OOT
I tossed the controller over to my younger brother whenever they appeared
That was about the only times I didn't hog the Nintendo and I feel bad

Nigger I pussied out after entering the dark forest right outside the starting village nad never touched that shit again.
Thanks fuck for rentals back then, miss that shit so much.

OH GOD WHAT THE FUCK. WHY DID I CLICK THAT?

This was an awesome game

fantastic dizzy grave yard area, mainly because the music was creepy

I remember that, it was unsettling to see back in the day.

This is hilarious. I also was being paranoid over silly things like countdowns, if the computer said "Attention! You need to make this action" and had a countdown i thought something bad would happen real life like an explosion or that bad guys would assault my home.
Though Game Over screens countdown didn't faze me, i was so scared of autodestruction escape parts that i just couldn't continue the game from that point

It was an underrated game.

Not exactly a kid at the time but I always closed my eyes at AvP2 facehuggers, it's gross.

Seconding Bowser in Super Mario World. When I finally beat them the feeling of triumph was unmatched by anything in my life since.

Also honorable mention is pic related.

CLANG CLANG CLANG CLANG

If it's shit that scared you in non horror games, it was MK with its gore and skeletons and shit.

The cover is really misleading. Back then i thought it was another boring point and click graphical adventure when in reality i could have been hooked to this for days. I wouldn't be surprised if it sold like shit

Same happened to me with this fucker from Yoshi's Story. No flyguys coming down to fetch the yoshi. I dont remember if the cinematic with the flyguys dumping the yoshi in the tower happens then, but the damage is done.

The majority of Ocarina of Time. I don't know why the scariest parts of the game are almost all contained in the child section.

Those monkey things scared the everloving shit out of me in my dreams as a kid.

I thought they were something like dinosaur/alien things. Never thought about monkeys.
Still. This was one damn scary game for a kid.

And there seems to be a dave 3 ? Never heard of it before.

Yeah, the marketing campaign was terrible for the game.

I thought it was garbage from the ads, until I actually played it, and it was great fun.

clank… clank… clank…
clankclankclankCLANKCLANKCLANK
SKWASH
CLANKCLANKCLANKclankclank

clank… clank…

This is funny because it will be true in a couple of years.

None of these are scary, man.

I was scared when my 486 start breaking apart. I knew if it stops completely I will be forced to spending my time alone in my room reading same books for a 1000th time for many years. But it was sturdy and I was able to use dos on it, even with mouse support!

Back then this game was really spooky shit.

Fallout 4

They're the reason i quit playing the game.

This game gave me a phobia of deep waters that I somewhat hold to this day. Played it alone on a friend's genesis and stopped playing right after the first cutscene, but the damage was already done.

there is just something about the way she slides around the room in that chair that still unnerves me to this very day

The music that plays when the regenerators are around, combined with the breathing noises they make, really makes the situation that much scarier.

Fuck you. Fuck you forever.

At one point I was exploring some optional caves and my health was in the red. I run into a door to escape some Reaverbots hoping to find something to heal myself.

Just as I enter the next room I hear something smashing. Smashing. I stay stock still waiting for it to show up so I have some idea of what it is and I don't blindly run into a trap.

Fucker appeared on my blindside and killed me instantly. I turned the console off and went to hide under the covers of my bed.

I feel like these fuckers were worse.

bump

Fuck off.

But you're over it now that you're older?

R-right user?

Man up, pvssy

Hello I'm in an E rated game!

This

this song

That game any good? Looks a bit like Flashback.

It's gets pretty repetitive, it's like gears of war on 2D mixed whit prince of persia

As much as I prefer CV and 0 to 4, shit like the Maiden, Garrador and pretty much any nonhuman humanoid were done spot on. 10/10 design.

Wizardry 8, right? How is this game? I wanna try more dungeon crawlers but my only experience with them is Eye of the Beholder, Dungeon Master (which no one remembers) and Grimrock.

SA-X gave me PTSD. I still have flashbacks to encounters like this.

Old SEGA knew what they were doing

Newfags, the whole lot of you.

FUCK

I bought it recently (physical copy, still wrapped, cartboard box; not sure how they still had that in their shop), doesn't launch on modern hardware… I'm pissed.

I fucking hated that stretch. Also, I remember some romhack where there were multiple SA-Xs chasing you at the same time. They also had some Super metroid powers.

You think that the cave of bad dreams in Rayman 2 was creepy? FUCK NO.

This place, even though it had nothing really scary about it, FUCKING TRAUMATIZED ME AS A KID.

I always kept running away from it as fast as I could, without even exploring it.

It only lasted for a couple of seconds, but holy shit was it scary for some reason.

Seems like something in my head if not for the fact that other people were also scared of this place for some unknown reason.

There isn't really anything that incredibly creepy about it, it's just a normal location but everytime I went through it I thought it was unsettling for some reason.

Are you me? I also get paranoid over stupid shit like that.

Any time you're being chased and you're unable to keep an eye on your pursuer, such as in a first person game. It's even worse if you can hear their footsteps behind you.

Hi

The robot boss in Zero Tolerance. Doesn't help that this was my first ever experience with first-person games and I was terrible.

metroid prime's low health alarm and death screen still scares the fuck out of me.

I'm old.

This fucker gave me nightmares as a kid.

Very underrated post.

Duke Nukem 3D's Octabrains scared the living shit out of me.

I still have not played Fallout past the first few locations because of the timer.

The background and lore of that entire fucking town always made me wonder how the fuck did they get away with marketing this game to kids

Because once upon a time "for kids" did not meant safe space.

Such as the Lord of the Rings being written for kids.

These faggots legit spooked me. Plus all those drowned bodies trying to get out.

Fuck me, well I guess these count

Obligatory

Wizardry 8 is pretty fun if you like to build your own party with various classes. Game will feel slow if you fight a large number of enemies though, especially before you get instant death spells that can kill a horde of enemies..

look at the upload date.

Not exactly when I was a kid but the water dragon from Okami gave me some serious chills, and that game had a bunch of spooky shit in it.

Look at the post I made

Sounds like he has mental issues.

The glow on fo1. And most other areas on the game, but specially the glow

So like… Just pure ezmodo after you get those or is it one of those games where if you don't minmax you're hurting yourself?

My nigga

It just makes it easier to take out large groups of weak enemies, as opposed to slaughtering them one-by-one. They'd be weak either way.

Zombies fucked with me as a kid.

For me this is the most scary creature in gaming. They really created perfection in that game.

Border patrol in any game is a given.

I remember dicking around with the controlls (had no manual), when suddently I saw this nigger thing comes through the door on the 1st level and started shooting at me and before I knew it I died and a fucking skull popped up.
But that wasn't even my biggest scare, once I got the hang of the game, a fucking demon ghost thing appeared right in front of my face out of nowhere with an eerie screech and went right through me.

Holy shit. I finally found someone else who knows about that game.

Body Harvest.

I never could play through it.

For some reason Mario's red face when he died in Super Mario World always creeped me out when I was a kid. I mean, it looks like he has big red eyes, spooky.

Very frightening/

That and the music in general just fucked me.

The boss before the portal thing was frightening as well.

There was also another game, a sort-of flight simulation one, where you would use either tanks or aircraft to do various missions, mostly to blow shit up.

I used to get scared shitless by the NES game Dr. Chaos.

Not only was the intro eerie and creepy, but there were gameplay sections where you had to explore rooms in a first-person view and monsters would occasionally pop out and attack you.

This motherfucker right here. I remember him chasing me when playing as Claire and shaking like a goddamn leaf the entire time, wishing he would just GO AWAY.

Reporting in.

AAAAAA

What's up FUCKER? Surprised to seem me?

I haven't really encountered a moment in a game that scared me in the sense of me jumping out of my seat, but I distinctly remember playing through Ocarina of Time the first time, getting to the Shadow Temple, and distinctly remembering how different it was compared to the other five. Between the torture racks, the Dead Hand enemy, the ferry for the dead, etc., it was a sense of spookiness that only hit me later as I thought on it more.

That's the good shit, yo.

Final boss can't actually hurt him all you can do is run away as he screams DIE! at you, and to top it off he can still kill you even if you have the invincibility cheat on.
It took me years to actually beat this final level myself instead of watching my brother do it.

Best dungeon crawler ever made.

J-JUST GET THE FUCK AWAY FROM ME!

Oh well fuck, I'm a faggot with the memory retention of a slice of ham.

Going back to those days, playing through Pikmin 2 was a blast, especially going through the hundred floors dungeon. Collecting treasures while navigating floor after floor of enemies, traps, and puzzles? That's my jam.

And in a floor that's bathroom-tile-themed, pic related shows up, the absolute motherfucker. And I think, "Oh, I'll kick its ass, no problem." Nothing worked. It easily rolls over most of my Pikmin and I'm panicking. I got the hell out of dodge and only barely avoided the Pikmin equivalent of a party wipe (RIP ;_;7), and I was playing through this dungeon effectively blind.

I had difficulty redoing/continuing after that, given that I lost so many Pikmin that day and recovering them all back would take a long-ass time. Any time I'd head back there, I'd have a cold sweat of anxiety running down my back.

Aquatic piece of shit.

That level always scared the shit outta me but I love getting chased in vidya, massive adrenalin spike

I did not see this asshole coming, he scared the shit out of me.

Beat me too it.

I thought the Bowser fight was cool when I was a kid. What scared me about that game was the underground music I ran through that room with the yoshi coin on the first level as fast as i could so i didn't have to hear it and the first fully underground level spooked me the fuck out. I wasn't even spooked by the ghost houses

I remember the Beast Makers world from Spyro the Dragon spooking me for a while. The level in Gubble that first showed the cartpillar things with "graveyard.mid" playing and a lot of shit from the N64 Zelda games spooked me too.

That fucking snow monster from SkiFree.
Motherfucker would come out of nowhere and eat you right when you were getting the hang of things.

>Monster Cock

Unlocking the bosses in DK64 scared me as a kid.

What do you mean? Can you give us examples of when/where anyone's expressed fear of that place?

Damn, yeah that got me as a kid as well. Dad bought this game and was like "oh cool a point and click adventure, want to try it?"

It didn't help that this was at like the very start of the game ether so my interest went from "cool a computer game!" to "I don't want to touch that hell box!"

Twister's ending from TM2, and seeing pic related made me terrified to sleep in my own bed for weeks.

My brother played this game at night a lot so I got pretty freaked out by the animations.

maximum spook factor

But there's still stuff that gets me now. The annelid arachnids from System Shock 2 are incredibly unnerving.

Every time I hear that chirping sound I go into search and kill mode.

All those fucking collectathons from rare, and that's just mostly because of all the wide open cartoony environments with next to nothing actually in them. It's like visiting an abandoned amusement park.

Christ this was just mean to throw at a kid.

baleet

baleet

The giant zinger and the fitting music sure hit me the first time i saw this when i was 12.

I swear i cried like a little girl after this.

the forest temple was the creepiest for me, there is something very unnerving about the music

The Yellow Devil in the first Mega Man. On top of getting the shit kicked out of me a whole bunch of times before I learned about the Elec Beam trick, the music that was played during the fight sounded… what's the word… evil.

From childhood to my teenage years, nothing made me want to shut my game off unless it was a wallmaster.

Shame I couldn't find a better picture of them from the original game.

While they didn't scare me the brown spider models from DDO always gave me the creeps.

This and all of the impact crater.

pussy

killer 7 was just nightmare fuel

youtube.com/watch?v=Up1LXlGx1dM

This game was also that one that scared me as a kid. I couldn't handle it for some reason.

Fairly weak by today's standards but in the 80's there really wasn't that much in the way of horror in video games. Movies held that crown with Superman 3.

Fuck this entire level.

The Save/Load robot in Mario Paint always scarred the shit out of me as a kid.

I think it's because the rest of the game is fun and chill. Just this one section has this robot with soulless eyes while jarring music plays.

It was a game that didn't deliver what was hyped and promised. They were pressed for time and launched it incomplete. There was actually no sound in the intro and it had to be later patched in.

Just found this speedrun. I forgot how much I loved the music.

Why does the face look cute there? Aren't they normally hideous all around?

Good luck.

Wheres the scream? Also yes, it always scared me.

Chozo ghosts scared the absolute shit out of me, they still kinda do. I'm pretty sure that I had a nightmare about them once. I think its the fact that they disappear and reappear, the music, the fact the the room dims, and they hit like a fucking truck.

When i was a kid, i got super spooked by the dogs in deus ex and hitmeme: blood money and the fish in big the cat levels in sonic adventure.

same here but i could beat metroid and it was a different fish for me. Sorry I couldn't find a better quality that wasn't a glitch video.

My childhood fears are coming back.
When I was something like 3, death animations from Yoshi's story really scared me for some reason.

You should. I didn't even want to start playing because of the timer. But a friend convinced me to do it anyway, said "this won't be a problem". He was right.

>"GET OUT", cue the timer.

FUCKING SPOOKED

Make that three of us. Don't remember even why I thought it was meh back then, just the fact.

I dunno, man. How can anything this side of the sunset be scary to a Kindred? It's a soulless undead abomination. I just couldn't feel anything either in the Hotel or in the sewers.

The whole game was pretty unnerving if you were a kid under the age of 10 playing it in the arcade as I was, but the psycho clowns on that stage were probably the creepiest part.

This shit right here. Alien takes over teaching at a high school and abducts students daily or so, they're then lobotomized and put back in class. You play one of three kids trying to figure out who the alien is and how to expose him.

The worst part is that you can walk in on one of the students being abducted and if you don't hurry yourself, your characters will change as well.

If you're a 6 year old kid like I was and saw someone being abducted, you'd probably do what I did and hide under the computer desk.

underrage. get out. ban this user for life. execute him.

its a lot worse when theres like 8 of them being cast and the sounds are overlapping eachother

Anyone else remember this one?

The first rumbler is horrible

The sound effects, music and descriptive deaths in Shadowgate had me spooked. I bought it again on gameboy color.

I agree.

Ray Charle's worst nightmare.

This onomatopoeia has been ruined for me.

When I was about 3 or 4 years old, I was too scared to enter the castle in Super Mario 64 because of Bowser's laugh when you entered.
I would just run around the courtyard aimlessly. Took me a long time to get over it. Usually had to get my mom or my aunt to enter the castle for me.

I remember me and my sister would play that game together and see who could survive the longest in that level without getting eaten by the fish.

I haven't played MML yet, what's bad with it?

Reminds me of the "You suck at photoshop" guy.

Metroid Fusion X or some shit. ROMhack of Super Metroid being made.

My Damn Channel?
I remember he was popular in the late 2000's, but then his videos starting dropping in views around 2010 until his videos stopped even breaking 15,000 views.
I think he stopped making videos early last year.

Mostly everything about this game. (With the exception of giant bouncing tomatoes as enemies)

Lots of ancient robot enemies in the dungeon type areas you explore. Game has tank controls and tight corridors underground so you can't exactly turn on a dime. A lot of the bipedal bots in the game are ones you hear before you see so you'll be walking around and suddenly hear this CLANG. CLANG. CLANG of pacing. If they find you they come rushing your ass down with dynamic sound that gets louder as they close in. honestly it never spooked me cause I was a dumb kid who didn't get scared easy at all but I can definitely see why it freaks people the fuck out. And sorry for no video of an example, phone has shit net but it's my only option.

To be fair, the original Thief is very much an immersive simulation horror game.

Fukkin' this and pic related

Seems silly looking back on it but I was like 7 at the time so cut me a break

and then his brain pops out and tries to kill you

Honestly, that didn't scare me until LOL CAUGHT IN CEREBELLUM TENTACLES

Jesus it's all coming back to me.

I remember that game too, the three barreled cannon was my favorite gun.

I found the fiends and the shamblers more startling/intimidating.

Fuck that, shit's still scary. In fact, just about everything that's been brought up here that has to do with a water level is still stressful to face.

Sound effects in this were pretty creepy

Sometimes the scariest things in games are other players.

Giants from Drakan. They could one-shot you if they got too close, and they reminded me of the rancor.

Thank god I wasn't the only one to get sketched out by those fucking things.

These things. I hate how they only move when you move, but they move in the opposite direction. It's just creepy. The red ones shoot fireballs at you if you walk in front of them.