What's the best TRPG ever made?

What's the best TRPG ever made?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!z1AEVDqa!-uZOZnXmji3ZJcFjWerEYCvMYbewqfJ8DK4BJJ0YqVU
mediafire.com/file/k52ckc6p7blzjh1/Final_Fantasy_Tactics_1.3035_Easy_+_Complete.rar
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What separates a tactical RPG from an action RPG like Phantasy Star II or Final Fantasy VI?

Movement, positioning, and using formations mostly.

Front Mission 3
Front Mission 5 being close second.

You fucking what?

Okay, what's the proper term, "turn-based"?

Just a regular RPG, faggot. JRPG if you want.

Geneology of the Holy War is really fun.

I come back to it every year. There's so much replay value and so many ways to customize your squad. Charge time makes the game feel more fast paced because its not just "Your units move, now enemy units move" and instead you could abuse the shit out of it in hilarious ways like using Ramza's scream on other units or having a time mage with tier 2 haste. All of the units are fun as fuck and have all kinds of strats based around them, (see Calculator job for real autism).

I think the only criticism I can come up with is that 5 people in a squad is a little small and I would have made it 7 or 8 at max. Ramza is still my favorite video game protagonist of all time just because the story was so fucking good. Also Agrias is best girl.

>>>/twitter/

(you)

My nigger. You summed up my thoughts. While I think that Tactics Ogre LUCT is a superior game in many ways (increased unit number, classes are more important in battle other than just getting the skills you want, the story having a more somber tone, etc.) despite also having its share of flaws, I still come back to FFT once every year to finish it again. It may not be the mechanically greatest SRPG out there and it may be too easy to break but I love it to bits.

>We will never see Ramza live the life adventuran on unknown lands with his harem of qt soldiers

I've tried so many times to get into FFT, but I get bored and quit every time. Because of how small the maps were and how you could only have 5 units at a time, the strategies you could implement were pretty limited. The one that worked for me 99% of the time was having my team gang up on one enemy and take them out one at a time. Also, the combat felt really slow for some reason.

- using Orlandu at all.
- Black Mage with Math Skill and Teleport or Ignore Height
- female Monk wearing Chantage and a purse

The fun times.

Well-timed thread, I'm watching GetDaved play through it while I work. Might have to go back and try playing through it again, I never seem to make it past chapter 1.

Any tactical game without fog of war is automatically shit.

that being said point me in the direction of games that do fog of war well

mega.nz/#!z1AEVDqa!-uZOZnXmji3ZJcFjWerEYCvMYbewqfJ8DK4BJJ0YqVU

Try this if you want a challenge. It's one of the older versions of the 1.13 mod before the author went full retard.

dragon force 2 on the sega saturn

Old Fire Emblem?

Which is the one you like, the vanilla one that is only very hard, or the one with changes to the calculator, the mediator and a couple changes but still using the game's original code (the calculator magic is actually Zalera's high powered version of some black magic spells)?

Personally i consider 1.3035 the best before that faggot went full WoW; the "easy" version, because the actual mod is unforgiving and that only detracts from the fun. This one keeps the challenge but doesn't force you to use almost mandatory set ups.

1.3036 was interesting too, mainly the archer changes, but in the end having to pretty much roll your chances for every skill was not optimal if you wanted to use the archer in a serious battle. However i think this version already has the retarded changes to the magic classes, shit only went downhill from here.

Anyway here is a link to 1.3035ez if anyone feels like trying, you gotta patch the FFT ISO it using ppf-o-matic first.

mediafire.com/file/k52ckc6p7blzjh1/Final_Fantasy_Tactics_1.3035_Easy_+_Complete.rar

There is also a fun mod that lets you disable the BGM in game so that you can play with your own music in the background while keeping the SFX, but i fucking forgot where i had it, anyway i'll let you know if i find it, because it takes a bit of messing with special files in the ISO so it's not so easy to implement.
Unless you already want ISOs without the music, which i happen to have around.

I don't like being railroaded into a storyline like Super Robot Wars makes me. I like SD Gundam GGeneration's style where you can freely pick between several stages at once.

Tactics was one of those games that really affected me as a little shit. I always felt bad for Ramza, getting constantly fucked for doing the right things

Wish we had more langrisser.

is FFT on psp a different game/story as the ps1 version?

Yes, but with arguably worse dialogue and writing. Ye olde english and all.

If it makes you feel better it's canon he survives with alma and probably the rest of the team

No, just the translations different and it has additional slowdown unless you patch it.

I'll take overdone olde tyme English over simplified mistranslations any day.

And it has cell shaded cutscenes that replace some of the narration sections.

Also you can recruit Bathier (yay) and Luso (boo)

Do party based classic rpg's count as tactical rpg's?

You mean SRPG, but that's okay.

Playing Vesteria Saga right now, even though I can't read moon.

Is that an actual mod?

Going to need a source if that's real

Besides Old FE and Advanced Wars. Seriously, it's like those two are the only tactical RPGs that do fog of war. It makes the game much better when you actually have to do recon and not just see every enemy on the map as if you know where everybody is stationed.

I wish that they made another Ogre Battle or Tactics Ogre. I played LUCT, and was rarely frustrated by the game.

I think either Vandal Hearts or Tear Ring Saga had fog of war, though Tear Ring Saga is just a FE game with a different name.