ZSNES

Other urls found in this thread:

gbatemp.net/threads/snes9x-for-old-3ds.435568/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_games_incompatible_with_PlayStation_2
retrorgb.com/rgbintro.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Shit thread op

Did they unfuck their shit already? My preferred emulator works well and has everything I need, but the lack of snow effect makes me feel like a pathetic waste of life.

just use snes9x

That's not how you spell higan.

You're not going to suggest to buy a real SNES for a better experience, now are you ?

No, but settling for mediocrity is a fucking plague.

Stop right there OP, this is the vidya police, we have found out about your video games thread, which is punishable by 6 million years in the gas chamber.

what is wrong with lsnes?

As if console wars weren't retarded enough.

But those won't run on my pentium 2 dos pc

you still havent answered my question, user

It's been almost 10 years since the last release, and yet there are still people that claim ZSNES 2.0 is in the works.

jeez

get the fuck out
and get out of the ogc threads too

snes9x worked great for me at first, but now the frame rate halves every time I try to play in full screen.

kill yourself

You don't pay for emulators though. And it's mostly based on objective fact and not personal taste. This is nowhere near as cancerous as console wars.

Just use a better emulator

Enjoy being autistic while I play video games.

I bought Drastic, PPSSPP and EPSXE on Android also everything i would ever need i got all the shit for $20.
Because i couldn't be bothered to root my phone and risk bricking an S7 that costs me the salary of 3 months in this 3rd world country

Also i have rooted all of my past smartphones and shit always had bugs here and there, honestly i do not see a single benefit to it besides ricing, and pirating emulators or fixing non working phones

I have fond memories of this fucking emulator, and will continue to use it.

Like what?

True. I fucking love the snow effect.

Retroarch cores run like fucking dick if my experience with them on New 3DS is any indication.

Am I fogetting anything?

It is Visual Boy Advance, fuck

Stella (Atari 2600 emulator)

What's wrong with Stella?

Nothing. I like Stella.

Me too, I was listing shitty emulators

ebin
simply ebin

I like ZSNES, ePSXe, and No$GBA. Aside from ZSNES not being accurate, how are the other emulators bad?

Not that they're that bad, they're all the most used and not the best of their respective systems

I can understand people that won't give up ZSNES, most of them do it for nostalgia and "if it works don't change it"

Epsxe is completely fine, it lacks one or two features of PCSX-R, and i have not seen a single game where Mednafen's accuracy has made a difference.

No$GBA is complete shit however, last version i used was 2.6 i think, a couple years ago, and many games had bugs, also the UI is shit and relying on third party applications to fix it or even manage the screens was the cherry on top of the cake

It shouldn't be; the ports on the 3ds are all fucking terrible. Besides, all Retroarch is is a frontend to emulators that already exist. The BSNES core on Retroarch is the exact same thing as the standalone executable.

Retroarch has an interface created by what I can only assume to be autists who hate the idea of having a usable emulator with their name on it.

ZSNES still does netplay better than anything else. Mednafen can do it but it's far from intuitive as ZSNES was.

While this is true, ZSNES has a reason to exist. For some reason, no emulator creator has friends to play with and considers netplay low to zero priority. Probably because coding reliable netplay is difficult.

So I'll keep using bzsnes for solo-play and keep ZSNES around for co-op secret of mana runs.

Probably they're really lazy ports then given I'm aware there's a standalone SNES9x for 3DS that works fine for almost anything while the Retroarch core runs like flaming monkey dick on either New or Old 3DS. Christ, I tried that Virtual Boy core for Wario Land and it couldn't hold 8 FPS.

i would stii be using it if it wasnt for the fact that emulator has only direct draw

Oh shit, I didn't know somebody made a snex9x port. I was still using blargsnes, which doesn't work for shit. Thanks for the info

you guys are faggots

were do you think most early collaboration and knowledge was collected and corroborated? official leaked nintendo documents? lol nope
The game specific hacks only helped people become aware of the deficiencies in their understanding (specifically timing, mapping, co-processors, and PPU)
Nearly all memory maps and co-processors for good games were sufficiently emulated such that you could actually play them and have fun.
Its goal was to play SNES *games*, not to preserve the hardware, and at that it was very successful.
The hacks were absolutely necessary at the time if you wanted to actually play the games.

The GUI made total sense considering the era it was from, and the fact it supported DOS still.
The x86 ASM made it run on really shitty computers, but the portability aspect kinda sucks.
The software was very stable, never crashed.

When you first found about emulation, you didn't give a fuck about accuracy, you just were amazed you could play Super Mario World on the PC.
It probably introduced millions to the world of emulation.
I have nothing but fond memories of being a shut-in during highschool and playing zsnes.
The biggest design flaw was that SRAM was overwritten when loading save states. Accidentally load an old state? well fuck you, your SRAM is now two weeks old.

snes9x has essential the same philosophy as zsnes, just slightly better support, more portable, and more "mature" UI.
bsnes is not intended for gaming, but "preservation" (i.e. a detailed high-level specification of snes hardware) and byuu will gladly make it perform worse for the sake of adding support for some extremely obscure game only one japanese guy in the world cares about.

its questionable to use it these days, and I agree that people who still recommend it are also faggots.
use higan if you can, snes9x if not, and zsnes if you have a Pentium II pc you plan on sending to africa.
BTW, does anyone still do emulator netplay?

please kill yourself if you think this is ever the case

gbatemp.net/threads/snes9x-for-old-3ds.435568/

Haven't tried it myself yet but it looks rather promising.

Emulators are better though.

Good write up OP.

you gain no extra detail by running the game at a higher resolution than its intended. Many visual flaws appear that would not otherwise.
worse yet, as 3D games rely on many more cheats and tricks to convey themselves, but most obvious is how the HUDs are not meant to scale and look like absolute shit.
please kill yourself
why would you ever buy the individual games when flash carts exist? Pretty much every console has a cost-effective way to play game back ups. Are you this stupid that you think anyone is seriously suggesting that? On a place that's a haven for pirates?

please kill yourself if you think emulators are better than the original hardware, ever.

Nevermind, can vouch for it working decently. Mega Man X plays fullscreen and doesn't look squished, tried Kirby's Dream Land 3 and Kirby Super Star and neither loaded at all though. Seems like most shit you try will load and run just dandy even on old 3DS.

Full-speed and doesn't look squished.

Fuck off.

That's just shameful. Maybe PC gaming isn't for you, user.

how would fixed resolution 2d games benefit from higher resolution? I said filters were a bad thing you gigantic retard, and flash carts are the best option available, you gigantic retard.

Intuitive means there are not many steps between opening the program and having the game running in audiovisuals optimized appropriately for the computer system it's running on.

KEGA Fusion, NESTopia, SNES9x, and Stella all seem to be able to do this. Will RetroArch ever have an easy-to-use interface?

For 2D games, they're cheaper and easier than running the original hardware. For 3D games, they're sometimes intensive on computer resources, but the result often looks better than what the real thing is capable of producing.

That's it. It's essentially plug and play, and is infinitely less complex than dealing with plugin-based emulation.

for 3d games they are bleeding with inaccuracies in hacky emulators and reliant on shit middleware like dinput/xinput. for 2D games they are cheaper but you are settling for an objectively inferior experience once again with the shit that is d/xinput.

Do you also play 2D sidescrollers with an analog stick?

How many steps do those two tasks take? What compelling reason do they have for not automating that upon installation?

If a few milliseconds is worth the hundreds of dollars going to ebay resellers and/or scavenging yard sales, that's your decision. I agree, the real thing looks great, but the price is what makes emulation such competition.

If you have such a problem with high res 2D games, then tone them down. Nobody has to play games with filters. And downloading a game on my computer is cheaper and faster than buying a flash cart, downloading games, then uploading them to the flash cart.

what the fuck are you talking about

settling for convenience over the best experience, sad.

I forgot to add that dragging a .zipped game over to the icon of KEGA, NEStopia, SNES9x, and Stella opens the game up in one step. Even as you distilled down tasks into one step, Retroarch is still overly complicated compared to it's supposedly inferior plug-in based emulators.

Once you've learned to configure one emulator the first time, you've learned the others. There's no filing around a wiki because the autist developers couldn't be bothered to make a UI worth a shit.

I didn't know PCs required an analog stick to play 2D sidescrollers. I must have a special one that allows keyboards and various other gamepads through USB.

you are a special brand of retarded, also even considering using keyboards in a console emulator is enough for me to tell you to kill yourself

:^)

So this is what eternal summer feels like.

I'd sooner use arrow keys and Z/X for GBA or NES stuff than use my 360 controller.

1) There are tons of fucking cores
2) Said cores are in various states of compatibility
3) Most of the cores are for things you will probably never use
4) RA aims to be as lightweight as possible, and installing dozens of cores you're probably never going to use goes against the philosophy
5) Sorting through a fuckpile of cores to find the correct one each time you want to play something would be retarded

But it's not inferior, as it offers the highest compatibility and a unified shader system, along with the lowest amount of steps required to switch emulators.

Unless you're completely computer illiterate, RA is both easy to use and extremely feature-rich.

absolute bottomfeeder territory right there

Maybe you're looking at a different ebay, but used SNES, Neo Geo, and PlayStation devices all go for $75 and up starting in """acceptable""" condition, plus the shipping that starts at $30 when it would be cheaper just to drive across the state, pick it up, and stay the night. How much do you suppose those input-lag free Trinitrons cost?

I'm sure I need a special JAMMA-grade gamer's joystick for emulating Atari, NES, SNES, and Genesis. Can you show me the right one with the most green LEDs on it?

Why are you seriously arguing that Retoarch is easier to use when it comes in multiple pieces and I have to manually get it to recognize the directory the games are stored in? Not even antiquated shit like NESticle or ZSNES makes you do that? Do these developers take pride in how overly complicated first-time setup of their program is?

We've got the special snowflakes in a little early this fall.

Do you like playing astronaut in plastic bags, user? Because that is what its like.

PS2's are $30, I'm a little baffled how you can be so stupid, and even then you can find them at most thrift stores for like $15. If you have a classic game shop even better.

Funnier yet, you're defending use of a 360 pad and a keyboard for emulation. Please be slavic somewhere else.

I can tell you've never been to one of these places, because they sell the exact same """acceptable condition""" PS2 slims that never come with anything besides the base machine. Since they're a classic game shop, though, they need to add another $15-20 to the price tag.

Nice dodge on the Trinitron PVM question, by the way. Isn't that the keystone to your input lag autism?

Do you mean just read the fucking options? Also, if you think Retroarch of all things is complicated to get going I'd like to see you trying to set up PCSX2 or something like that.

user, I don't think having all of your roms sorted like:

Roms\
\PS1
\N64
\SNES
\NES
\GB+GBC
\Genesis+Master System

And then telling RA to do a one-time scan of your Roms folder, so you can spend 3 seconds the first time you start each core to tie the directory to the core is difficult at all.

Show me a better PS1 emulator than RA's Mednafen-Beetle fork. With 2x IR, SPP and PCT, it beats original hardware.

Mednafen itself. Beetle doesn't build on anything, its just a port.

I work at a classic game store, PS2's are $40 with everything you need, tested, cleaned, working with both ps1 and ps2 games. We also sell component cables. Any CRT will do, except newer ones with flat screens and digital processing. Why do you think you need to go the professional monitor route? Trying a bit too hard aren't we? That's for enthusiasts, and if you're running emulators, you're obviously not much of an enthusiast in the first place.

It doesn't matter if it's easy. Why is it necessary? Dolphin, PCSX2, MAME, almost all the other emulators can automatically scan the designated directory for game files. They also don't need core components downloaded and installed separately.

Are you claiming that the non-ported version has PGXP? I can't find any documentation to support that claim.

It's over, user. I don't know why you're still arguing.

How does one emulate disabled features? What would it mean in the scope of playing the game? Are we reaching levels of autism so far unfounded or something?

Not all of them. PS2 slim in particular has a couple of good ones that just don't load up. I thought you'd know that, working in a game shop and everything.

I'd go the distance for the real thing, which is nice and cheap with PS2, but gets expensive real fast with systems like the PC Engine and Neo Geo. If it's not worth it and you just want to give it a try, it's always best to run it through an emulator first.

You've also just admitted to having a vested financial interest against emulators, so I want to know, what is your intention with all of your bitching about it?

You're intentionally confusing "It could be easier to use" with "It's not easy to use". Now, will you please explain for me why Retroarch hasn't caught up to the file organization setup of the likes of NESticle and ZSNES?

I tried figuring out how to use that years ago. Move some folders around and then you'll get it working. That's what I thought but apparently I'm too retarded to get it working. Not only I couldn't find out how to get it working, I spent all my time fiddling with menus and got nowhere.
I hear it's pretty good but I couldn't get it working out of idiocy on my part.

You've never even bothered to use it, have you? If you've done the brief one-time setup I've outlined, pick a core and it selects the folder you assigned to that core. It's functionally identical to ZSNES in that regard.

anons on 8ch are not going to be visiting my store. I think you missed the point of "tested and working", but that's another story that you've been spelling out in the past 10 posts.

PCE/TG16 is a more enthusiast console anyway, doubt it would have much up your alley. Gaming is hardly a cheap hobby. Original console is a bit of a bitch to get the best out of anyway, so it's not necessarily a bad idea to look into emulation. Mostly for systems pre-gen5, but even then original hardware is always the best solution. At least accurate emulators exist for those systems.

I used to use No$GBA as well for DS emulation, and at first DeSmuME ran too shit for me to even bother with, but once I upgraded my computer and DeSmuME didn't run like absolute shit anymore I stayed the fuck away from No$GBA.

Well, Its a new feature. Impressive. I'll give fobby a chime to ensure it makes it way upstream once its polished.

dunno why anyone would emulate handhelds.

Because the DS had games I wanted to play and I couldn't afford them and I didn't actually own a DS at the time? Why else would I emulate a fucking DS?

Also even now I prefer to emulate DS games rather than play them on my 3DS even though I have a flash cart for that purpose, since you can fast-forward DS games and all of that with DS emulators and their accuracy is good enough.

ZSNES doesn't require that. It comes with a directory for the games. You can also set that to a directory of your choosing. RetroArch can at least do that, right? Let the user select directories for files?

Even tested and working slim PS2s don't work with a list of games.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_games_incompatible_with_PlayStation_2
You don't even need to pretend to be working in a game shop, you could've just searched this list on the internet. Do you need help with that

Not really, depending on the machine. Some models of PC Engine require modding for RGB along with the NES and 3DO, but Master System, Genesis/2/CDX/X'eye, Saturn, SNES, and PlayStation all natively output that wonderful signal without any modification necessary.

I can see you don't know much about this, but either now or in the future, you may want to have a look at retrorgb.com/rgbintro.html for an introduction to RGB and how wonderful the result looks when you get the right display and the right cable.

it's a touch screen handheld.

What's your point? Most DS games don't even make that much use of the touchscreen anyway, at least not for input. And even then you can just click to simulate touch input in the games that do need it. There's only a few games where it's such an integral mechanic that emulation is a bad idea.

Yes of course you can select the directories. I'm now 100% positive that you've never actually used RA. Why are you so vehemently against something you've never used?

Instead of making up a bunch of vague complaints with what you think is wrong with it, next time why not just start with:

I guarantee you'd have gotten some help, instead of just obnoxiously shitposting about it because you're too insecure to ask for help.

no shit, I know you long since missed the point and don't seem to know what "tested and working" means. Holy fuck no wonder you thought PS2's were 80 bucks on ebay.

I have two BVM-D14H5Us and an Ikegami TM14H17R, and another professional monitor on the way. I comfortably know more about this than you, who mistook the trinitron for all PVMs. Nice to see you watch my life gaming's rgb master class, but they don't cover enough for you to hop into the scene. May want to do a bit of research on your own.

As for the TG16, I'd suggest a dbGrafx Booster. Expensive but if you're dedicated to the system, it's a good fix.

it's a portable, touch screen (resistive, not capacative like most touch devices) handheld. Really missing the point sitting at a desk using your keyboard/half a gamepad and your mouse.

What the fuck are we supposed to discuss nigger?

The point is that there are games on the DS worth playing that you can quite comfortably sit back and play entirely with a controller (in fact most DS games are like this) and they don't exist on other consoles or handhelds.

Or are you one of those autists that actually thinks that a handheld should only be used when you're not at home? I've clocked up probably twenty times the amount of time on my 3DS at home than I have elsewhere. I don't buy handhelds purely because they're portable, I couldn't give two shits about that, I only buy them for the games that I'd otherwise never be able to play. You think I'd choose to subject myself to a tiny screen like that otherwise?

He sure reads like one of those autists. You know, the one who needs to brag about how much money he's sunk into old electronics.

We're supposed to discuss how much better I am than you are for spending hundreds on the real thing. You'll need to invest good time and money if you want to be part of my scene.

you can feel the insecurity in his posts

I know, he really went off when I began writing passive-agressively like a NintendoAge discussion regular. He seems overly concerned about self-image on an anonymous imageboard, I can only imagine how far he's up his own ass in real life.

You first.

Can you stop being such fucking idiots for once.

You fix that by not using Windows 8.

i don't like small screens or inferior screens where the colors get lost, or dealing with battery power etc, i don't mean to play in a huge window either but a screen around 7" is about perfect for me. can't do that with real handhelds

It's still shit.