What went wrong?

What went wrong?
And how do we fix it?

Was it ever good? I remember it being a cheap scripted horror shooter

Nope.

They gave up trying to make it a horror game. The first one had the problem of a lot of the attempts at scaring the player were just jumpscares.

Did they fire the maker of the first cover and hired a drooling retard for the third? Why the fuck would you put something like that on the box like it was a grand fucking achievement?

the story I heard was that the first one was a fluke that happened because EA took their hands off and let the team make a game to try and cash in on the RE4 bandwagon, because the execs took a very laissez-faire attitude. If it flopped it flopped who cares.

When it was a success they went ahead and made 2 which I think is mechanically and aesthetically better but not as scary and you start to notice the creeping onslaught of DLC and overproduction at the cost of story and horror. And when that was a success they thought, okay, time for full EA jew mode and fucked the third one beyond recognition with everything we consider to be fucked with AAA gaming.

They're fun games with top-notch sound design, and a lot of telepgraphed jump scares that aren't everyone's cup of tea. In general I like the upgrade system and would rather play the first two over any RE game made after 4, but modern gaming is so shitty that maybe it's infecting my view of these games.

also this

I disagree, the first dead space was at least compelling to play until the end. Although the whole experience did blur into a giant dark corridor with jumpscares and crying babies.

First one was alright, up until half of it.
Afterwards it became to predicatble unfortunatley.

End it at Dead Space 2 and just leave it alone. That's how I would fix it. They really didn't need another game.

Good ol fashioned late 7th gen AAA game design. The first was promising, but still not worth playing (unless you dont have anything else to play)

they went the resident evil route of making it into an action game rather then a horror one and so they tried to make shit more relatable character wise however this actually removed more from the script and dumbed down people to basic levels, when actually if you replay dead space again, the characters are highly believable and do exactly what the story needs them to do seamlessly, dead space 2 is what it is because they used the same formula while injecting a heavy dose of "see how crazy Issac is now wooah!", which was so poorly done and effected nothing since the characters were much poorer in quality from the first, with three they fucked the goose hard because they thought they were going to compete with lost planet 3 and lost planet 3 tried to compete with dead space 3, hence the retarded "horror" sections in LP3, however you can really tell that they just gave up with the characters as they're all shit with basic motivations, lacking everything due to the story needing them to be a certain way at a certain point, the shoe horned coop also did not help, the one thing they did get right kinda is the crafting system but they really should have expended it to more then just key items and weapons

dead space was a great game, dead space 2 is o.k but not as good, dead space 3 is actually just o.k

Lots of point-and-click in realtime connoisseurs, as is the norm in these kinds of threads. I bet you think Amnesia is a true horror game.

Could you please rewrite it using paragraphs and periods?

It went to shit when they decided to make universal ammo.

Dead Space was never good. Anyone who legitimately thought it was scary are easier to scare than a goddamn baby. Its predictable trash with nothing of redeeming value except maybe humor with how badly they fuck up the horror and that stops being funny before you even get to the second game.

Wew lad you sure got super mad about your favorite game being shit.

I don't see how so. Stay away from vents and wait for enemies to spawn, the videogame. Was really boring throughout and had no real draw other than limb damage which got boring less than an hour into the game. Controls were ass too.

Dead Space 2 is way better because it drops the pretense of being a scary game and just goes full action. As well as avoiding the stupid vent shit the first game did. Its a more focused and therefore better experience.

Never tried 3 because I had other things to play.

Nice assumption. The only reason I wrote that because it is always "muh jumpscares" as the argument, Dead Space or no.

What a hypocrite.

Nothing went wrong

The games evolved from a corridor slow as fuck jump scares that was already over staying its welcome to a fast badass action game. And the story had a beautiful real ending.

You contrarians are just retarded as always. This is one of the best gaming trilogies ever.

Well, you have every opportunity to actually show me that I'm wrong.

You have every opportunity not to make retarded assumptions and then complain when people make assumptions about you.

bruh

You listed the exact reason why it's bad and ruins all atmosphere with cinematic shit.

So you'd prefer that its a horror game that fails in every respect instead of being an action game that does everything with moderate success? Well as you can obviously tell I disagree.

It fails at being that too since only one gun can really be described to be that level and that's the ripper. Anything else was dumb and showed that nothing had much attachment to their limbs regardless of what you used.

Thing is, I've seen enough of this threads filled with retards thinking they're cream of the crop and constantly talking about jumpscares.
I get it that you can't know that I'm not assuming but instead just speaking from experience, but you still haven't proven me wrong.

Okay take your cuckchan impressions and go back there, then. Because that has never been the case here. And on that note its not a good excuse for acting like a fucking hypocrite like you.

Nothing, in that dead space was never good.

The first one was decent in that it kinda came out of nowhere and reminded us of Event Horizon. The subsequent attempts to worldbuild around horror shlock were laughable, though.

Holy shit, is this the best damage control you can do?

I see I should've capped those threads.

Yes, if you repeat this mantra long enough it will become true.

This is the new hipster-trying-to-fit-in opinion, I'm guessing the next one will be "Daggerfall was never good", possibly followed by "The Thief games are overrated".

This guy honest to god believes its fine to be a hypocrite. Christ.

Dead Space doesn't need another game.

You haven't proven yourself right, either.

SHUT YOUR FAGGOT CUNT THEN

Allright, that's a fair point. I was sure I had the caps.

I like how the model in SH2 for the player looked like he was missing half his head in most of the shots

EA

They went from "survival horror" (you had to manage your ammo for each one of the weapons you had, along with your health; and using the nodes correctly) to a fucking CoD in 3rd person

This is the only recent franchise that I really REALLY liked it not for the 2spoopy4me stuff, but for the action and 3 completey fucked it up

It didn't fail. That is the thing.
You prefer the game that spelled the doom of the series, much like me2 did to ME.

Fuck me it still hurts 1&2 were legitimately good games and 3 just fucked it all up.

You can't seriously say that Dead Space was scary in any way.

Scarier than dead space 2. That much is for sure.

no, the ending of DS3 was 'buy the DLC to find out what happened', since that's where they put that 'beautiful 'ending

kid, when Daggerfall came out everybody bitched for months on Usenet about how fucking busted the game was. pick another example.

Might as well call it scarier than Super Mario 3D World or some kiddie shit.

I thought 3 was ok. And hey, i technically DID get an ending
everyone dies

I just recently played SS2 for the first time and was surprised on how much Dead Space (especially the first one) borrowed from it.

Dead space 1 was a good ole' spooky time.

Dead space 2 took the good combat and threw in some really good encounters and rooms with a wide variety of enemy types.

3 was Lost Planet, but shittier.

I don't know how the fuck they ended up at 3, 2 had such promise.

Go fuck yourself, DS3 had actual "By the DLC to see the ending!". And that ending was STILL A FUCKING CLIFFHANGER, game was pretty fun with the customization though.