Intro to Gaming

Someone I know wants to get into gaming, but just doesn't have the "gamer instinct" developed at all. Just unfamiliar with how shit works and lacking the general problem solving skills. So I decided to develop help develop those skills by using older platformers with a "pass the controller when you die" sort of deal so I could help them along when needed but still let them go at it on their own.

I've been considering using Crash and Mario 64 to start with. Got any other good, "pass the controller" friendly platformers? My mind keeps drawing a blank and I'm trying keep it to fifth gen so they aren't babied too much but don't go too graphics whore on me.

Anyone else got recommendations on how to go about this?

A couple questions.
What systems do you have? Have they ever played anything before, from mobileshit, to flash, to a game of Tetris, etc? What made them want to get into gaming? Boy or grill? Did they mention any specific games that looked interesting to them?

Why can't this person just start playing games that look good to them, and just practice them until they get good?

They're going to be in for a disappointment.

Is said person a toddler? Or in their 80s?

Just give them a fucking game and say "hey, this is fun try it!"

Its a fucking entertainment media. A one most normalfags are very much already accustomed to.

Try coop games, as well. Stuff like Tales of Symphonia especially is a good way to go since its a co-op RPG with barebones combat and simple puzzles.
Or something like a Metal Slug or Double Dragon or other sidescrolling action games. Simple action, straightforward gameplay, has a bit of trial and error to get around.

But also if they're looking to get into games find the game that made them interested and start playing that with them. Hang out and talk with them as they play through it.

Sounds like you want a girl to play game OP.

Don't waste your time if it's a girl she will never get gud.

How about you just fucking google some emulators, get those working and find something that actually looks nifty. Don't ask other people to develop your senses and tastes dipshit. Find your own taste, what you like in genre etc. Same as any other form of media. Oh yeah, don't pay more than 30$ for a game. You can find thousands of good games for free with emulation and ROM sites. Just do that. I'd recommend a SNES emulator and Comix Zone as a way to develop senses though, Comix is both fun and challenging.

If you want to introduce somebody to video games there's no better genre than light gun games. Trust me on this.

The person needs to play the Nintendo and Sega classics first before leveling up.

Just pick a 2D game that's fun like Super Mario Bros. 1, 2 or 3. i recently played through all of them with my sister, it was really fun. Go for the All Stars version if the NES graohics are too ugly. Don't bother with 3D gameplay, those games are too slow and boring.

Sonic or Mario on their 8/16 bit systems respectively. Start from the beginning and go up generations. It's great to do for beginners, since they'll notice the decline in games themselves.

Ten or more years ago I was invited to a LAN party, where we played few games (Starcraft, Total Anihilation, TF, CS, Q3). There was a girl, who just owned us in any game we tried. Few days ago friend of mine told me that she is now a CS GO progamer with her own twitch and shit.

Is that supposed to be impressive?
Also, to answer the question, games aren't really something someone can just get in to. If you haven't been playing all of your life, you probably don't and won't have good taste.

good luck with that

It was genesis exclusive you retard

You still there OP?

Every game is different.
Some games share genres, and share difficulties, but every single game in a genre can be used as an entry to learning its genre.
Each game should just be treated as its own thing. If they want to get better at it, just play it more.

They just need to pick games they like and git gud.

No one cares if your gay boyfriend wants to get into gaming, cause there is no such thing as "gaming".

So whatever you're trying to pull with buzzwords like "gamer instinct" you need to fuck off right now.

We get it, you're trying to fucking comb and condition your next boy pussy, get LOST.

Go home back to cuckchan, immigrant.
Your kind is not welcome here.

I would honestly recommend the games I started out with. Shit like Donkey kong country, sonic3 and knuckles, age of empires, super mario brothers 3, and stuff like original Doom. Give him the stuff that started you onto games.

I'd say Medievil and Megaman. Sanic would be a pretty good choice too.

The go to "pass the controller" game when I was a kid was Donkey Kong Country

There is a good reason that Portal became so popular amongst normalfags, it's a great game to get used to the first person shooter control scheme and is short enough (the first game) for them to reasonably complete without getting bored.

I know that Deus Ex 1 and Thief would serve the same purpose of acclimating them to FPS controls, but those games take way too long and require a lot more from the player. Any retard can beat the puzzles in Portal and feel like a genius because of the way they're tightly designed, but any retard will not be able to sneak into the insane mansion and be able to navigate their way through it in a reasonable amount of time. Portal also has a gimmick with immediate appeal and outside of basic first person controls there isn't much else to learn.

It might be fun.