Freeware classics

What ever happened to games like this? Are they all on Steam now? I remember when indie developers were hiding gems like these all over the internet and you would learn about them through Raocow Let's Plays or some shit.

I never got close to beating IWBTG, how about you?

Other urls found in this thread:

cwpat.me/fangame-intro/
delicious-fruit.com/
www21.atwiki.jp/iwannabethewiki/pages/283.html
braingames.getput.com/mog/
qrostar.skr.jp/index.cgi?page=jelly&lang=en
newgrounds.com/portal/view/682128
gamemakergames.com/archive/you-found-the-grappling-hook
spelunkyworld.com/original.html
agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=lamulana
rottentater.com/
mediafire.com/download/2r3pqhyacm1p2k2/I wannyaaaaaaaaaa.exe
homeoftheunderdogs.net/
vgperson.com/games/endroll.htm
pistegamez.net/games.html
archive.is/sRT1V
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Here's another good example.

They becomes their own things and now you have thousands of clones
In the context of this style of games IWBTG is pretty bad both technically and design wise, if you like this kind of games and want a better look at what's good browse those.

cwpat.me/fangame-intro/
That's a small intro to the genre with good example of what to expect and a few lkinks to recommended games to start with/play.

delicious-fruit.com/
That's the english wiki, don't pay too much attention to single user ratings/review some afre absolutely fucktarded when it comes to recognizing what's good from what's not.

www21.atwiki.jp/iwannabethewiki/pages/283.html
And that's the JP wiki, more up to date generally but in jp.

Also to note like in shmups when people say something is easy that means it's pretty fucking hard to a beginner, and when they say something is hard that means you're gonna spend a good thousand hours doing it.

Personally if you can find it I recommend I wanna be the tribute, it's kind of hard but it's one of the very good earlier games.

Why hide your game when you could release it and have idiot consumers pay real dollarydoos for it instead.

This one looks interesting.

They still exist, most of them don't get translated and are harder to pin down. I know occasionally some devs put out free games on 2ch

Spelunky used to be freeware but steam happened now it's retail. This happened with a lot of games, because why give it away when people WILL pay for it? That's just economics.

Besides, Boshy is leagues better than IWBTG

I thought the original Game Maker version was still freeware? Maybe he changed his mind or something when it turned out to be absurdly easy to mod all of the XBLA shit into the Game Maker version and have a complete package.

I know sure as shit I'd choose the freeware version over the XBLA version, the XBLA version feels fucking soulless, especially in the music.

youre silly

If it wasn't for the fact that IWBTG was one of the original mah-mah games, I would like it better. Also the fact that the game is specifically made to be a troll game as stated by the creator himself.

Exit Fate is a pretty good Suikoden ripoff, even if the character design is bland and uninspired.

The Dark Mod is basically Thief as run by the fans, though I'm not sure that's what you want OP since it's essentially derivative by it's nature.

Have some images from weebshit. The Japanese doujinsoft scene's got some neat stuff, freeware or otherwise.

Worth pointing out that Engage to Jabberwock is not actually freeware, as the official site clarifies:
これはフリーウェアではなく、バンザイウェアです。使用前に「ばんじゃーい」と3回叫んで下さい。
使用などによる不利益や損害などが発生した場合、それに対して一切補償を行いません。
このアプリケーションの使用は各自の責任において行ってください。

Machine translation gives the following:
This is not a freeware, is Banzai ware. It does cried three times as "Banjai" before use.
If such disadvantage or damage caused by such use has occurred, it does not make any compensation for it.
Please go at your own risk use of this application.

I get a chuckle out of shit like this. I think the spelling on Banjai is referring to some AA joke, but I could be mistaken.

I got through that on whatever the second-easiest difficulty setting was, at around 300 deaths. Never want to touch it again, though.

You sort of get a feeling for the kind of cheap deaths that await after a while. Accurately predicting some of the piece of shit traps or somehow reacting fast enough on first encounter was an interesting feel.

Some of the unavoidable ones were pretty clever. My favorite in the game is actually right near the start. The good ol' Mega Man-esque disappearing and reappearing blocks. Stand on the little platform you have to make and study the pattern. Once you think you're good to go, jump on the blocks. The last few go in a different pattern once you're actually on the blocks.

Those mega man blocks didn't even lead to anything in older versions. They were purely a cruel red herring.

Oh, and speaking of Castle Hydra, more people need to attempt to play Maze of Galious, at least for the music.
braingames.getput.com/mog/

Spelunky.

C'mon user, it's not even all that hard, you just have to trial and error a lot of bullshit traps. I've beat it on Very Hard, never bothered to become autistic enough to do Impossible.
Main reason I don't want to is actually one particular obstacle, shortly after mecha birdo. Always have trouble with that one for some reason.

Also, why has no one mentioned Cave Story yet?

>Main reason I don't want to is actually one particular obstacle, shortly after mecha birdo. Always have trouble with that one for some reason.
Don't feel too bad, it's one of the main bottleneck for every people who attempts impossible seriously, that and platform randomly killing you when they clip you.

I just watched a Let's Play on Youtube when I was a kid.

I wasted a lot of fucking time watching autistic nerds play videogames.

Eh, this is one of the few games where I could see some entertainment value in watching someone else play it, provided they actually get pissed instead of faking it for views. I got one buddy to play it and that was fun for as long as it lasted till he ragequit.

Just remembered a freeware game that's pretty fun, Jelly no Puzzle.
qrostar.skr.jp/index.cgi?page=jelly&lang=en

You're a pussy user, you're supposed to convince your friends to play it and mock them up until the moment when they tell you to do better.

Raocow still does this a lot. He just recently did an LP of Super Cat Planet, a Cat Planet fan sequel.

Why do you think? Anyone who boots up Unity and takes a dump in the editor can get their game on Steam now. Why would you hide it when you can roll the dice on being the next retard youtube meme game?

Holy fuck that cunt is obnoxious

WAT YOU DONT LIKE THE RAO COW HE IS RAO AND A COW I DO NOT UNDERSTAND BUT YOU KNOW I MET A GUY ONCE WHO DID NOT LIKE A RAOCOW AND HE WAS QUITE ALRIGHT SO IF YOU DONT LIKE A RAO COW THE MAN THAN PERHAPS I DO UNDERSTAND

IWBTG still has quite an active community, I know a few who are working on their own games as well
you'll find them on twitch or on the iwbtg forum
though most fangames, especially the ones from nips are just utter avoidance and miku boss shit now

did steam kill freeware, or did they choose to no longer make freeware when opportunity arose?

anymore like castle hydra?

People made these games out of love, because there was no way to sell these games. There were so few of these, so they all stood out. Now places like Steam are flooded with stuff like this, and you can only play so much of it an not find all the good stuff.

Does he still make videos?

Yes apparently lol

It fucking sucks that they never released a sequel to this.

Why make a game for free if you can sell it?

Sanguine 2 is a stealth vampire platformer that just came out on Newgrounds a few days ago. It's hard as hell but that makes it more fun.
newgrounds.com/portal/view/682128

The 15-key bonus room at the end is only a meet-the-programmer room so you're not missing much if you don't collect all the keys. Some of the hidden ones are hard to find.

Seconding this. It's one of the better RPGMaker games out there.

Yeah, who's going to release a good game for free when you could make a few bucks from it, especially if it's better than half of the crap already on Steam. Maybe devs could be talked into going back to the shareware model where they put out the first level of the game as a demo and charge for the rest.

Same here. I wish I could go back to 2008.

Why would you put countless amounts of time into making a game (assuming you're actually putting time into making one rather than shitting out an RPGMaker clone) and then give all that time and effort away for free?

Do you hate yourself to the point that you don't want to at least be compensated for that time?

what was the name of the metroidvania about an egg trying to become a bird?

untold story?

Maybe because you actually care about the artform and you're not in it for shekels like a greedy jew? Dipshit.

That basically sums up everything wrong with freeware games

Please don't kid yourself. You know damn well there's a difference between charging for a game you spent time on (time that could have easily been spent being productive in other ways) so that you can continue paying bills or buying groceries, and trying to wring money out of people who are bad with keeping their wallets in check.

If you truly wanted to better video games as an "artform", freeware is not the right direction for that. You just want more free shit to play, user; at least be honest with me.

Poseur.

I thought casuals weren't allowed on this board.

did lets plays even exist when IWBTG came out? I always feel like it is a recent phenomena

A hobby is a hobby whether you spend five hours or five weeks on it. The definition doesn't change because Holla Forumsirgins have more spare time than normalfags.

Steam killed PC games entirely. - You know the huge boxes full of disks and goodies.
Shareware and Freeware games died with it.
What you now get:
And of course any worse combination of those.

Why is Cless fighting the spider boss from the sigma fortress in megaman x

For almost a decade there were amazing flash games made pretty much every month on websites like Newgrounds. The developer of Meatboy would regularly create amazing shit for that website for example. Now he spends his time making DLC for Memeing of Isaac and jacking off while producing absolutely nothing of value because he can retire off his fat sacks of Steam cash. Steam, with their early access bullshit, made the good developers fat and happy and content with making bullshit. It's just not the same anymore.

And they're content with making bullshit because there is an audience with a funnel in their mouths waiting to shovel that shit into their throats. You're appalled at people taking the easy option when you should be appalled at people giving them the easy option in the first place. People are willing to throw money at absolutely nothing; it's why Kickstarter got so infamous for its scams in the first place. People are willing to throw money at cosmetics and Pay 2 Win shit.

The core problem with devs now is that people with money are willing to throw it all away for amusement, and people nowadays are easily amused. (And also gamification is a goddamned blight unto videogames, but that's for another thread.)

I am all for devs wanting to make money off of their work, but I am also all for consumers being smart with their money and knowing which devs to feed and which devs to starve, as well as when to starve them and why. It's a delicate balance that blind, idiotic consumerism has thrown off balance sometime in the mid 00's and may never recover, given the general populace's constant desire now for instant gratification and easing of mind from constant stress. Consumers need to be more informed, need to be smarter, need to be wiser, and need to get rid of awful ideas like "I'm gonna buy _ to spite you :)", which is one of a myriad of heads on this godawful hydra.

You do not blame a forest fire for consuming the dry brush it has blazed through.

The good thing about the shovelware flood is it's going to bore out consumers again and lead to another video game crash, which will be much more enjoyable than the previous one.

I guess because it eventually became sold/remastered, but also it's nothing like IWBTG other than being freeware. That being said, I consider it a legendary freeware game that gets me super fucking nostalgic, almost as much as the original Zeldas or Metroid.

The shareware model would be great, you get a good enough portion of the game, and then you decide if you want to play more, especially since there aren't much demos nowadays

Shareware like demos don't lead to sales. That's why they stopped making them.
The flood of (98 % shit) shareware games occurred mostly of desperation for money.
A problem which the shitty App Store Steam finally solved.

An Untitled Story.

I've only played three, I wanna be the guy, I wanna be the boshy and I wanna be the justice.

Justice was the best game and something I really truly wanted to 100%.
Guy is meh and I finished it purely out of curiosity of what the end would be like
Boshy is fucking trash and I quit at that impossible jump at the start of the castlevania world.

But since we're talking about best Freeware, there's always N.

Bullshit, really?
I thought he was walking on that game, Brave Earth or Broken Earth or whatever.

thanks for info

Why a webm?

What a shame, I thought brave earth looked nice

Gee user, maybe that's fitting because this is a thread for freeware classics, not hard games.

Still funny that the biggest raging retard isn't the people playing his games, but kayin himself.

now that you can sell your game in seconds nobody is bothering with making freeware games

mods are asleep post raocow

Paid mods incoming.

People grow up and realize that bills need to be paid and good will amounts to nothing,

Making games for free is a LUXURY few can afford.
It's always the greedy fucks that accuse others of jewery when they just want things for free because they don't want to part with their shekels.

Maybe people who actually have the skills to make quality games already have gainful employment retard.

You don't know that.

why didn't you post the link

gamemakergames.com/archive/you-found-the-grappling-hook

it's called capitalism ,git gud you commie jew fuck or fuck off back to Russia China Venezuela Best Korea

Anyone remember this gem? I remember being obsessed with it when I was younger. I also found it incredibly hard back then. I wonder how would I deal with it now?

It is still free but good luck finding a mirror that isnt a torrent. Same with La Mulana.

Good thread, keep going anons. I used to play a shitload of freeware games, now I don't even know where to look anymore. Steam's free games is a wasteland of shit and mmos.

What? It's the second result when I google Spelunky. You can download the game and the source code right here: spelunkyworld.com/original.html

La Mulana isn't hard to find either.
agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=lamulana

So where is the next generation of people coming along and making free fun stuff ?

Oh wait new generation isn't making free stuff by mostly overpriced garbage.

Your retardation has no limits.
If something is shit, why would you buy it? Why you even steal it?

Games are a luxury.
You don't need luxury. You are not owed luxury.
If the price is too high for you, buy another game or GTFO, faggot.

Next time I torrent something, I will seed it for 15 mins just to spite you faggot.

The same as the previous one. They will be a minority who can afford to do that.

If you don't like it, tough luck. You don't have to like reality or life. I don't either. But I don't go around crying victim and how mean everyone who doesn't cater to me is.

They're probably still there, but you don't hear as much about them because the groups that talk about small games are generally part of an indie clique who masturbate about hot garbage.

Flash games are not a luxury and were never considered something worth paying cash for m8.

Maybe the indie steam releases have scrambled your brain, but free flash games were about the same quality of some steam games being sold right now.

People are being nostalgic for an older time period of tons of enthusiasts making goofy games.
And those older times were as far away as you could be from communistic.

Oh no, a whole fifteen minutes? I bet your parents told you you can't seed or else it'll fuck up the internet. 1:1 or nothing.

True, it's very easy to find for now as well. I'd concede the point that the developer hasn't offered to download it for a while, but spelunkyworld.com is the developer's own website.

Then go back to your old times of 45 minute game loading, 8-bit graphics and 0 development tools and support.

If anything, developers today have an easier time of making games, even tough the standards have been increased, so it kinda balances out.

What is worth or is not worth paying for is subjective. You cannot force your shit opinion on others.

You mean the current indie scene?

"Watch this guy play video games" has been around forever (Jap-land even had that Game Center CX show starting in the early 2000s that continues today) but it didn't get popular until Youtube became king of streaming media and Gmod and Minecraft went in vogue with kiddies

Touche!

>no suteF I looked up what the dev's doing now and let's just say it's ok to omit this one now
y'all a bunch of weeaboos

This guy gets it. Blaming the audience or claiming "lol grow up and get dat money" is simply sickening.

So this is that Liru game everyone's talking about?

Combination of factors… Steam allowing shit. Kickstarter. Patreon. You'd be dumb if you leave money on the table.

Also speaking as a once-upon-a-time freeware dev, I used to enjoy releasing something and have people talk about the game in forums.

Nowadays nobody talks about anything except the hot flavor of the month title, so what drives me is sales. Even if it's just one sale, it shows that the game is enough to motivate one person to open his wallet… compared to spending multiple 3AM evenings and releasing something to crickets and you don't even know if anybody bothered downloading. Sure there are download stats but a sale is a vote of confidence.

But the biggest motivator in wanting to charge money is seeing devs like Digital Homicide Studios and other scam artists poison the well. If they can get profit, then why not I as well? Not to mention all the torrent sites started with Premium membership bullshit as well and you start to realize everyone is out to make a buck and you're the only cuck still doing things for free.

So basically what happened is that freeware devs only wanted signs that their games were appreciated. And they were failed.

Locomalito is till making gaimus

what happened to the Sutef/Fetus guy?

Here's what I found.
rottentater.com/

oh…i am gonna assume thats not his wife or sister….right?

Except the kind of shit you see on steam greenlight (i.e shitty flash games) were never a luxury. Must we have to pay for games like ALIAS?

IWBTG is a pretty good game in the "unfair platformer" genre. I wish this genre had more higher-quality entries.
There's a few "difficult" platformers, but the unfair quality is what really sets IWBTG and its bretheren apart and makes them shine.
The most important aspect is making sure the player has absolutely no way to anticipate what's going to kill him at any given point. It becomes the most intense game of Memory ever.

Wow, a person who made a "lol so fucked up" game is a tranny, also known as fucked up. What a surprise.

I still remember that feel when I got to the s[ike pit right after the first part of the game.

Try
mediafire.com/download/2r3pqhyacm1p2k2/I wannyaaaaaaaaaa.exe

When it comes to freewares… RPG maker games are actually a lot of fun.

Well for people like me at least.

I remember that in the days before I had the internet I would buy gaming magazines which had CD's with video games. They always had a freeware section besides the "full version" section. Sometimes I would get a RPG maker game and play it, getting immersed in the story and what not.

Now I sometimes download a RPG maker game from the interweb and sometimes find something really cool like OFF or Wadanohara although I never finished Wadanohara. Some of them even had gameplay that wasn't absolute shit, like Logomancer which is also really fun Kind of smells of tumblr but I never checked if it was actually the case, so forgive me if it is actually SJW shit. The game itself was really fucking fun.

It's a real mixed bag though, and there is a lot of shit like Uncommon Time Which is also fun to play, especially with .Holla Forums.

i never get Wadanohara its like

I just liked the cute stuff

also forgetting all those Amon 26 games

All of our friends are dead
Au Sable
The Hunt
Gyossait

shit had a very interesting atmosphere…but then he stopped doing stuff. guess he got tired

Gamecenter CX is tasteful "Watch this guy play video games." It's not right to compare it to Youtube cancer.

Do you do the rape, or does someone else do it? That's a pretty important difference.

The Curse of Issyos is great, go play it.

That's sad as fuck, I got late to know that game

Friend of mind told me about IWBTG, so I downloaded it, and something like 1000-1300 deaths and 10 days later I beat it.

Anyway, this website seems relevant to Holla Forums's interests on this subject:
homeoftheunderdogs.net/

Seconding RPG maker as the last bastion of good Freeware.

Just got finished playing End Roll, a very interesting game that certainly has charm, short but rewards exploration of the relatively small world, and a wonderful soundtrack that goes pretty good with a nice story.
Also it's pretty heavy at times, but not in a way that's too shitty or up its own ass.

Also it has a nice soundtrack that is included in the files for free, so grab it here and enjoy.
vgperson.com/games/endroll.htm

It's not, GCCX is literally "watch this guy play video games instead of "watch this guy play video games". I don't care to see Arino during gameplay unless he's actually doing something interesting, which fortunately is almost always when they actually cut to him or show him off in the corner.

Niggers don't even know Let's Plays have been around since like 04… They used to be ultraniche before PewDiePie and others came along

you play as some little witch, rape is implied in some path/scene

pistegamez.net/games.html

Hey guys, actually, do you know any fun games that only do cute stuff without doing edgy things?

Kirby

At least A Super Mario Thing was good.

I beat it a long time ago. It was fun.

It's not the hardest game ever like some people seem to think, but it does improve your skills.

People bitching about Steam
And here i am enjoying every new release curtesy of Utorrent

yes, but currently it is still a choice to make.

Enjoy your malware faggot.
archive.is/sRT1V

There are a lot of games like Shovel Knight or Undertale that would have probably been freeware if it wasn't for Steam.

At least Japan still makes new stuff.

If you remember a freeware Kirby clone called Obake, where you play as this cute little ghost, not too long ago it got a sequel. Now I haven't beat the original Obake but this game kicks major ass. Non-linear with a HUGE amount of powers you can use and upgrade and the story is cute too.

So how about Trilby Art of Stealth and Poacher?
I found Poacher to be really meh until the secret bossfight, I wish more metroidvanias had secret and super difficult meaning they're the hardest thing in the game boss fights.

This was awesome, and so was its sequel, albeit the sequel was too easy in comparison. I beat it without using the new summon mechanic, thinking I would need to save them for later, only to reach the final boss.

don't forget that they're supposed to feature the most awesome music in the game.

Banjai might have to do with some Japanese tank meme. I may be mistaken though, the inflection just makes it more kid-like/cute. チハたん∩(・ω・)∩ばんじゃーい

user if you want to produce anything without a job you need money you won't have. If you want to produce anything with a job you need time you won't have. It took Cave Story what? 5 years to complete? Anything worth it's merit in quality needs one of either or both. I honestly recommend you go back and play most of the shit on Newgrounds. For what you got (which was free) you weren't really given anything with any depth or a sizable amount of content. It might have been good content, but lets be honest 95% of the shit you played you'll never play again, and the remaining 5% likely didn't last you longer than 3 hours at most. There's a few out there that kept me on a lot longer like Fancy Pants. But for the most part a lot of it is nostalgia. The content that was made was produced mainly because it was community driven or inspired.

This "grow up" mentality the other user speaks isn't entirely wrong on a factual level either. If we're speaking Newgrounds alone. In it's heyday times back in the early noughties a good majority of the content producers on it were in their early to mid teens. Just look at fucking SleepyCast. They tell stories all the time about how most of them were immature edgy teenagers. Now that they animate for a living they constantly express how fucking hard their life is as a result of not having enough time or money to get shit done.

Basically I'm saying life sucks. The Wild West days of the internet are mostly over and you should count your blessings when a good freeware game does happen to be released.

Did Yahtzee make that? He was known to rip music from other shit because he didn't want to bother making any.

There's all sorts of weird shit you can find on the internet if you actually try to look for it. Steam didn't kill freeware, you got fucking lazy.

It isn't, it just appeals to them because lolz wacky hipstery atmosphere and minimal challenging gameplay in favor of story. Heck, Undertale cashed in big because Toby understood the appeal behind these kinds of freeware games.

Wadanohara was originally a Japanese game, so nothing in there's for a political agenda. Neither is OFF; the issue is with the translators putting in stuff like gender-neutral pronouns and the like.

beyond going to sites like itch io, do you just search "free games"? what blackest magicks do you utilize that aren't just hearing about it from someone else?