Jetpack Thread

ITT: Post and discuss your favorite vidya jetpacks.

Super Mario Sunshine and GTA SA had the best Jetpacks

I like the Jetpack parts of Dark Void a lot. Shame about the rest of the game.

Missing the uzis.

Soldat

Jesus, that brings me back.

That shit defined my childhood.

Same as a working pirated copy of Quake 3 Arena.

#1 - Bloody Soil

#2 - Gore

#3 - Necromancide

What about Wings, Liero and Molez

Tribes is my favorite
not so much played previews but ascend was good too lot of fun

Some Star Wars games have great ones. Bounty Hunter, Battlefront 2 and, if you use cheats, Jedi Academy, off the top of my head.

Warhawk and Killzone 3 have fun jetpacks too.

Shadows of Empire has what I consider the best sounding jetpack in vidya.

The Wing Diver's jetpack in EDF 4.1 feels pretty nice to control.

Definitely Tribes. Capsized is almost entirely good time jetpacking. The one in RFG was useful but not the most interesting backpack.

I guess im gonna post the obvious.

Seriously, did anyone play this? This game was the fucking shit back in the day and no one seems to know it. The level editor in particular was great.

That game was great. I loved to use the editor to make a 100%random level, where each tile could be anything.

The clusterfuck levels created that way where really fun, claustrophobic and trippy. Great game.

yes
every level
this game was amazing
I even completed Xmas Jetpack as well.

i wish i still had my levels from way back when. Back then I thought i realy put some thought into them, but in retrospective they were probably more about memorizing which tiles you can walk on and which drop you into spikes than anything else.

wait what? i dont think i know those back in the day almost every game i had was shareware im not sure if i had the complete version of anything. methinks its dosbox time.

I played this way, way too much back in the day, even when I had nobody to play with.

I almost immediately thought of Dangerous Dave when I saw the thread's subject and then I've opened your image.

FUCK
MY MEMORIES

What the fuck is wrong with the world? Why is the first time I've heard of this? Is the military waiting for Exosuits to be complete before implementing this?

Also mine launches missles

And where can I buy this?

because it isnt marketable

Fuck Boba fett, Jango was great

Functioning jetpacks have been around for decades, but only as prototypes. The problem with a jetpack is that you are completely and utterly fucked when you loose control just a little bit. If its a windy day you are basicly guaranteed to crash and burn. And the tanks dont last long, you basicly have a minute to fly and then you have to refuel.
I guess the control problem could be solved nowadays by having the jetpack balance itself out. But the fuel problem makes them basicly pointless.

Cortex Command had nice jetpacks and boosters when you could still abuse rapid tapping to get ludicrous speed.

I liked it even more before they patched it so jetpacks released your parachute.

On maps with parachutes, with careful tapping and possibly weapon recoil, you could gain altitude indefinitely, get on some unreachable edge and launch grenades to your heart's content.

Broken jetpack mechanics are the best jetpack mechanics.

it did get attention, moron. It's also fucking expensive and only one exists.

Because it will never be available to the common man.
Jetpacks like a lot of ideas from retro futurism is simply impractical, they are loud, they are dangerous, they are heavy, they cost too much to be affordable, and trying to create air traffic lanes for them would be improbable (Too low and they create too much noise at street level people would complain, and if you put them much higher they either hit their flight ceiling or the air gets to cold and thin for the pilot or they enter airplane lanes.

rocketman