Great Developer Interviews

Hey guys, so i've been watching this interview with Chris Avellone on his work and the vidya industry and it got me thinking about other good developer interviews out there.

What's your favorite interview with a developer? Or even a podcast with them involved where they discuss things?

Other urls found in this thread:

shmuplations.com/rangerx/
youtu.be/HOPHmbulMp4
hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/c/1/8/c1830524672c1c0e/Podcast_Unlocked_Episode_168.mp3?c_id=7800534&expiration=1475748118&hwt=038fbf0a7bd7249434045eeb0e93d37e
archive.is/9uh2k
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I miss hearing how Bungie cared about their games
I miss hearing how critical they would be about their work, and developers nowadays would call that "being pessimistic"
I miss how they had such a ridiculous attention to detail and could still remember little shit from a game they made so many years ago

I remember one of their employees in an interview talking about how if you constantly think you're going to make the greatest thing ever you are absolutely not, and that's why they were so critical. Because they wanted their game to be better.

Maybe we don't need more pessimistic developers, but more critical ones that at least admit what they did wrong and look at their work and say, "Well shit this isn't going to work out in the end, I should reform this specific function in my game because its faulty and only the most braindead fanboys are going to like it." Instead of devs who stay completely fucking silent when a game flops miserably.

I blame the new companies taking over developing studios. They just force these unreasonable hours and workstyle on the developers, and burn them out. No matter how much you love something, being forced to work 15 hours a day and never being able to do anything else will destroy anyones love in something.

While it isn't an interview, here's a series with the guys from Rare playing Conker's Bad Fur Day. It's pretty damn entertaining

Listening to me is just getting me depressed. Just listening to how much they put into the game and all that.

Go back to halfchan you underage cancer.

I used to like CDPR ones

the best , watch them all

Joshua Sawyer(Director of New Vegas) have a youtube channel, he likes to talk about game design in general. Him talking about the development of NV is kinda fucked up, some features had to be hacked in the engine(Looping reloads for example) and other features had to be completely cut off because Gamebryo is shit.

There's 7 hours of Kamiya playing and talking about Bayo. He recorded it at 1 am using his iPhone mic.

Halo came out in 2001 you retard

the last mainline halo game was in 2007, someone who was 10 in 2007 is almost 20

Huh, did not know he had one. Im surprised how many developers at obsidian so far have done interviews or podcasts. Guess its a difference of caring between older developers and newer ones.

Just read this really interesting one about Ranger X. Look at that fucking parallax.

shmuplations.com/rangerx/

There was one where Warren Spector and some game journos played through Liberty Island in Deus Ex while he answered their questions. It was pretty good, but I lost the link I had to it.

Halo is 15 years old.

I think the one where Nathan Grayson starts complaining about the sexuality of the female characters in Heroes of the Storm, and the Blizzard guy says "They aren't running for President" and then their PR chick tells him to leave the interview.

John Romero seems like a cool dude to hang out with.

Shmuplations.org is a goldmine for these.

It's almost hard to believe.

I'm sure he was fired soon after.

This one?
youtu.be/HOPHmbulMp4

Yeah.
This hurts to watch now that Spector's become kind of a fag.
Still informative, though.

Sweet fucking sugar cakes that is some beautiful parallax.

This is an excellent view in the mind of developers. Their comments about being able to tell if a game is shit by how a character reacts to running in to a wall is spot-on.

The Iwata Asks series had some gold in them, with plenty of amusing anecdotes about developing older games and the limitations they had and how they overcame them. I still miss him.

I believe there's only like 4 videos, but I enjoyed them.

Not really great just sign where we fucked up. I wished that they actually blew up the building.

Prepare to cry my friend. Or to be disgusted.

Or both.

This interview with Louis Castle of Westwood Studios, RIP Westwood Studios and fucking Blade Runner was pretty fucking awesome back then.

Reddit leave, you're trying so hard to fit in.

bump

Does he talk about SJW shit in those vids?

just don't give him your money.

Or suck his dick am I rite Stevie Case?

guy completely misunderstands. The reason for the hate was because of the genre change, lore rape and overall putting out a terrible buggy product.

And then.. And then they made it even worse in the sequel.

Did you see the same backlash for New Vegas? no.. The reason was because Obsidian wanted to put more of the originals back into their version and it was easily the better of all the new Fallouts. I hate Bethesda.

Also, look at MrGoyimPlays' reaction to FO3 as if Bethesda proved the FO fans wrong.

I actually came into the thread to post this interview with the guy responsible for Halo 2's networking functions and MP, which is by far the best interview for vidya i've seen:

hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/c/1/8/c1830524672c1c0e/Podcast_Unlocked_Episode_168.mp3?c_id=7800534&expiration=1475748118&hwt=038fbf0a7bd7249434045eeb0e93d37e

At least I think this is it. I thought it was a video, but this is the only thing that has both Ryan and max hoberman in it. Anyways, assuming this is it, I learned a lot from it I didn't know despite H2 being in my top 5 games of all time. Ryan's interview with Marty was pretty damn good too.

This video is insanely cherrypicked it's hilarious.

343 doesn't know what they fuck they are doing in a lot of regards, granted, but they are also doing a lot of things well and people want to go out of their way to find reasons to shit on them

For example, they can't write an in game story to save their life and are rushing the fuck with the state of the universe post 2552, and only delivering a meh and sub par campaigns; but in terms of the novels they've done a great job and Halo 5's MP is the best the series has had in a damn long time, i'd argue only second to halo 2. .

If they learn from halo 5, build on the MP without breaking what's not broken, and figure out how to make a good SP, 6 could actually be one of top 3 games in the series.

Actually, so i'm listening to that, I think what I was remembering is the "livstream" ryan mentions at 10;30 or so, which I believe is this:

archive.is/9uh2k

In any case you should probably watch/listen to both since anything where Max Hoberman talks about his work on Halo 2 is incredible

New Vegas was still steaming jew shit, but it was
Faithful steaming jew shit. The bits that were good were all obsidian, the bits that were bad were all Bethesda.