Crazy

Why haven't you embraced the crazy yet?

Other urls found in this thread:

tiki-toki.com/timeline/entry/53472/History-Of-Beat-Em-Ups#vars!date=2013-08-18_05:41:20!
all-things-andy-gavin.com/2011/02/02/making-crash-bandicoot-part-1/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I only started learning how to exploit jumping off enemies in DMC3 recently, it's not as hard as I thought it would be.

I'm alright in doing combos in Hack'n Slash games(though I think I only played DMC in this genre anyway, others weren't on PC), but shit on health. I barely survive. I usually get very good ranking at combos and then like the worst ranking at the damage taken

lmao

How the fuck did this term come to describe DMC ? This is a hack n'slash.

The only crazy game I can't fully grasp is Godhand. The dodging mechanic is fantastic, but holy hell do I suck with the right thumbstick.

Isn't that ARPG?

I just got into DMC4SE, I started with Bayonetta 1/2 and loved the shit out of them, played MGR and mostly just enjoyed blade mode + shit like dialogue/characters/music (I didn't find parrying to be all that fun), and now I suppose DMC is the next logical step. It's certainly fun and I can see that the skill ceiling is absolutely ridiculous compared to those other games (I could pretty reasonably get platinum levels in most Bayonetta fights but holy shit S ranking is hard as balls).

I didn't really get it at first since it is so easy to avoid getting damaged in DMC4, I didn't get that the game really was entirely about the style meter for the first couple missions. I get more enjoyment from Bayonaise but DMC4 is still certainly very fun.

>mfw Sega likely porting Vanquish and possibly Bayonetta too

Diablo is a Hack n'slash.
God Hand is a 3d brawler/ beat 'em up.
DMC is a spectacle fighter.
Character action is a term by Totalbiscuit and is just as cancerous as he is.

I bought a PS3 60 GB for a specific reason and found DMC HD special edition for twenty dollars so I figured why not. Now I just feel like playing it every so often but I'm too lazy to hook up my PS3 the guy I bought it off of updated it to recent firmware which fucked up the point of buying one partially as well.
I'll just play DMC3 SE via emulation I suppose. Glad I own God hand though as it's apparently people are looking for it now.

you mispelled CUHRAYZEE

which is a subgenre of brawler/beat 'em up

Cuhrayzee entails both DMC, Vanquish and God Hand though.
Cuhrayzee is more of a theme.
The best theme.

I suppose I can see that, do you define a spectacle fighter as any combat focused game with a style meter that encourages you to show off? I haven't played God Hand and I don't know if it has anything like that

I distingush between them because God Hand is basically like a sidescrolling brawler/ beat 'em up, implemented in 3D.
DMC and Baynonetta for exmaple have a more fluid and free form of movement. The camera is further away and you can jump.
I mean, they're all "action games" but if you want to be specific I like to use that term.
It's a game in which you fight. Spectacle, and hopefully skill to perform that spectacle, are on the forefront.

It has a difficulty meter that fills as you do better and falls as you get curbstomped

Simply defining games by their control scheme is pretty dumb though, you should define them by how they make you feel and what kind of skills they require. God Hand might function on a technical level very similarly to a 2D sidescrolling brawler, but from what I've seen the kind of skills you use and the feeling you get from it has more in common to DMC than it does to a beat em up. Beat em ups are about surviving through fights and killing dudes, spectacle fighters are all about showing off and going cuhrayzee and that's what God Hand looks like to me. I've only watched gameplay though so I can't say for sure.

I think we've reached a crazy apex in the Basara series with Sengoku Basara Yukimura-den.

Outside of the obvious like making cannon fodder actually dangerous, how can Capcom keep their crazy reign?

It does absolutely not have more in common with DMC than brawlers.
Play the game and I think you'll agree.
The Wonderful 101, Bayonetta and DMC, in spite of being very different, give me a similar feeling.
God Hand feels far more like a Brawler than DMC.
So in terms of "feeling" it still applies.

Why don't we just call them all action games?

They all are.
It's just for the times you want to be more specific.

I think that's called autism

i wish that gif had a better framerate, it's hard to tell what he's actually doing

it looks like the katana just teleported behind you from one direction to the other

We should stop naming cats "lions" and "panthers" and "tigers". They should all just be called cats.

Not only this but also this

CUHRAYZEEE??

Holy shit, that was awesome.

Noooooooo.
God Hand and DMC are both beat em ups. And they're both 3rd age beat em ups.
Streets of Rage and Final Fight are 1st age beat em ups.
I can understand differentiating Streets of Rage and DMC, but God Hand and DMC, the only difference is the weapons and fiction, like the genre is different with fists only.

tiki-toki.com/timeline/entry/53472/History-Of-Beat-Em-Ups#vars!date=2013-08-18_05:41:20!

Spectacle fighter, character action, and everything else is a made up term by e-celebs and casual media for them to keep up the appearance of knowing about as little as their casual audience.

I tried to play DMC3 on my computer. I heard it was a terrible port but not even Xpadder makes it bearable. I only just got the guitar should I force myself to keep going or skip it for DMC4?

DMC4 is prolly easier to get into for people new to the series.

But DMC3 is pretty godly on the PC if you have the Style Switcher mod on

What I don't like about these games is lack of transitions between animations. Sword just disappears from his hands and then guns appear. I kinda understand that it needs to keep shit going fluid and fast, but it breaks muh immersion. At least give them warping animations/effects like in PSO2 or something.

Or better yet make combat system that's fast, stylish, technical AND takes weapon swap into consideration and incorporates relevant animations into combos.

It's better than DMC4 in every way except for now style switching, which you can mod in. If you don't like it now, you won't like DMC4.

Stop.

I like the game- the port's controls are the problem. I can't even control the camera without moving Dante himself and keyboard+mouse controls are even worse.

I emulated vanilla 3 and didn't have problem with pure KB controls.
Yes you can't control camera because it's a fucking PS2 game. DMC4 for the most part retains fixed camera angles so you have to deal with it.
MGR has much better camera, but overall is a simple man's DMC. Maybe try that first.

Something must be fucked up on your set-up or keybindings then, I have DMC3 installed (with the style switcher mod) and it works fine.

I have played through MGR already, and yes most of the time it is fixed camera but there are segments where you can move it around to get a better view of the screen.

Hrm. Maybe. I'll give it another go when I get back home.

just get the E3 for like $50?

Well the best God Hand has for a style meter is its variable difficulty, do better and it gets harder, do worse or beg for forgiveness and it goes down and a crowd laughs at you. Unless you're on hard then you're on level DIE all the time.

Nigger what the fuck are you talking about?
all-things-andy-gavin.com/2011/02/02/making-crash-bandicoot-part-1/

If you mean the ignorant misuse of it, sure.

That is very different so yes, the callous misuse of it is what I mean.