ARPGs

I would like to heart your thoughts on Path of Exile and Grim Dawn.

I played and was very excited about Grim Dawn for about a 100 hours before I realized that I didnt actually like it that much, it just reminded me of how good Diablo is.

Grim dawn is very satisfying for build crafting. Lots of levers at your disposal.

PoE is really good, from the hit feedback to building charaters to itemization, but I hate the whole trading thing. I like to drop my own items.

Grim Dawn is less interesting overall on all those aspects (except maybe hit feedback), but much more satisfying to bash; you can pretty much collect every item in the game on your own if you play 500 hours.

I would say that if you like a multiplayer experience, go for PoE; if you want a solo experience, go for GD.

PoE requires a lot of planning and knowledge, has fast combat and takes a massive dump on you if you're a shitter
Grim Dawn is slow in comparison and requires a little less planning
while crafting in PoE is random and you mostly get shit, in grim dawn it feels almost like content padding in that you grind for materials to be able to craft the thing you want and by the time you can craft it it is no longer relevant

PoE is okay, problem is the endgame is basically "grind for RNG to favor you with a map drop or pay someone else". Also Lab existing narrows down the build options by so much, the reactionary FOTM nerfs and buffs from GGG. Still decent enough because it's free.

Grim Dawn is a complete game, the DLC is shit though. There's less RNG involved with most builds because there's a lot of set-ish loot that'll drop meaning you'll never fall too far behind. The devotion system needs a sort option and the start of the game is painfully slow.

Its just a arena with Boss green items drops at end for non standard build

yeah but there are mods that do the same thing and don't cost $$$

Whatever

it's an old character that was played for 2 weeks at launch

Terrible.

If you want goes full Equilibrium - Soldier+Arcanis/Demo. Go full Cadence (with Elemental damage modification) and zeal rune. With Cadence you have a penetration and phys damage (you can turn phys in to elemental) and change your build based on your weapon without losing damage.

Too bad that kills his whole 2 pistol idea. zeal doesn't effect ranged either
I mean shit son, at least let him keep the general Idea of his build.

I wish I could play this game on High.

It's almost like you wanted to nerf the build to begin with fam.

When was molten strike added to path of exile? I really like that ability. You slam the ground in aoe and then three lava balls bounce up from the ground and splash down for a second hit. It's fun to use.

I've changed my build slightly since last time, anything to add?

What a reason picking Occultist for Hound only?

I really like Grim Dawn, and I feel like I've done something wrong.

PoE is pay to win piece of shit with 90% of skills being +3% to stat passives and is run by SJWs.
Grim Dawn is fantastic and you should play it.

What is going on here?

I took one look at the PoE "skill tree" and turned that shit off right away. If I wanted convoluted pointless skill mechanics I'd play a modern JRPG.

Grim Dawn is great, Titan Quest AE is also great.

PoE is really fun but it's just a mindless clickfest tbh.
It's good if you want to relax for an hour after a long, hard, stressful day, nothing more.
You need to copy a build though, PoE works by choosing 1 skill and then building around it.

Keep trying to guess the identities of people online, faggot.

huh?

It's like you never played the game. There's many legitimate problems but you choose to sound like a retard instead.

user, that's the PASSIVE skill tree, it ONLY contains passive stat bonuses and upgrades.

Active skills are gems that you socket into your armor, and there's plenty to choose from.

I have not played for at least a year, but last I remember it was not pay to win. What did they do to make it pay to win?

It wasn't, and still isn't. That fellow is just talking out of his ass. You can play perfectly fine without giving GGG a dime.

I played PoE a few times and I seemed to enjoy it but there were a few things that put me off eventually.
1. I screwed up my talents and I would have needed a total reroll after a patch or something to correct it or reroll the character itself.
2. I never made it to the end, I don't know what the endgame is like. I'm not sure if PvP would satisfy me - that would be the most important thing to me.

Well at first, I put points into the Eye of Dreeg and Curse of Frailty, but those weren't working out for me since I had already put a lot of points into the Repeating Missile. Curse of Frailty was a bad AoE for my magic caster build.
So I put all points into the raven so he could heal me, but he was pretty shit at it. Somebody told me to stop being an idiot and use the hellhound instead. He's ok as a distraction, but his damage is shit.

You should go Lazer beam build instead. Also you can use this book for elemental damage

Damn flag.

POE endgame consists of a few things

I don't know about the PVP scene of POE, however, since I'm not interested at it

Isn't that pretty much any ARPG?

The damage/energy ratio was absolute dogshit when I was using it at earlier levels, the replicating missile easily outdid it in terms of both killing shit in a smaller area and not slurping up all of my energy after 3 second.
And I'm only lvl 47 or something, can't look it up on this computer. I've yet to find a single legendary item.
Been using this since I'd beaten amalgamation.

The lead designer of PoE, Chris Wilson, said he wants people to be able to play it while watching Netflix and occasionally have their attention suddenly brought back to the game by some "interesting" challenge. Game is made by morons for morons.

How much HP you have?

I'm telling you, I can't see it from this computer, I'll tell you when I come back from work.
2k maybe?

You need a atleast 3-4k hp for not being oneshot by nemesis.

oh boy, did I almost get a quint?

I guess 1050 Focus is enough at lvl 50.

She deal mostly internal trauma and bleed damage from forcewave and you cant beat her with DoT. he just get a damage only items. My Warden kill her without problems.

Shit games, shit genre. More braindead than mobas.

You died to Blood Raven, didn't you

PoE on hardcore in high level maps is the best survival horror game in years.

Played Diablo 2 for countless hours.
Played PoE a lot since 0.9.3.0
Played TQ quite a lot too.
I just grew up and realized they are the ultimate carrot-on-a-stick for retarded children. Diablo is the superior game.

There's a relic (conflagration) that lets pure fire/burning demolitionist fire their lazors. It's hilariously good.

overly complicated, no full respec option means you'll either waste 100s of hours making shitty builds that don't work or you'll waste 100s of hours copying other player's builds.
The passive tree is ambitious, but rubbish. Way too expansive, full of inconsequential choices which will fuck up your character in the long run. No way to project a build plan on the passive tree makes it even worse.

Trading is still trash tier.
But hey, I guess in a few years the devs will add an auction house and every PoE player will jerk off to it. "It will never happen" isn't worth shit from GGG's mouth.

Most of what you say is bullshit. But devs admit that trading sux ass and to fix it they propose to sell trading stash tabs.

Somehow PoE players are always right. I don't know why, but as soon as they see an opinion that doesn't portray PoE as the second coming of Christ is "bullshit".
I think you guys are too emotionally attached to a video game.

All true. PoE needs a lot of quality of life improvements, that's for sure. On the off chance you managed to build something that doesn't die by overtuned maps, you might actually have some fun.

Don't forget the extreme reactionary patches the devs like to do. "Oh this things too powerful? Better make it BETTER, also lets ruin about 50 other builds"

Because you say stupid shit instead of focusing on the real problems in the game. With the exception of trading, you don't have to play more than two hours to realize trading is the worst part of the game.
Making builds is in my opinion, the best part of the game, if you are creative enough you can make something very OP, or very interesting in some aspect. From time to time viable random builds pop up, like the 10 siege ballistas one. Yes you can definitely make total trash if you are a scrub, there lies the git gud aspect of the game.
Besides trading, the biggest problems are:
Both server side and client side. While client side improved a lot, server side not so much. And only recently performance problems are being addressed, only now a 64 bit client with DX11 is being released.
This is the only thing that hasn't improved at all since closed beta, I may even argue its gotten worse. ES/CI is simply better in all ways to Life, and Melee is still complete trash. There is always one skill that it's obviously superior to anything else, like right now Blade Vortex. They release items that even a noobish player can tell they're broken as fuck, like Voidheart pre nerf. They also try to fix shit in the most retarded way possible, like the addition of Fortify, which was made to give melee an edge even though there is nothing about the mechanic that makes it exclusive to melee, which in the end made broken non-melee builds even more broken.
They tend to add way too much shit into the game instead of fixing what's already in. There hasn't been a new Vaal skill in years, and some skills like Elemental-Hit are still complete crap. Also they keep making players more and more powerful, to the point there is hardly any challenge left in comparison to say, Sacrifice of the Vaal.
Progress in this game is gated behind RNG, even necessary things for leveling like maps. If you git gud you can improve your chances, but the RNG is still there. If it weren't for trading, nobody would play the game in such a state, and trading sucks hard.
This is why I don't play anymore, it's pretty cool to build your char and make it work, but once you start mapping or killing bosses the grind is pain and the rewards often don't match your effort. This improved, but it is still not enough for me.
PoE pretty much feels like a singleplayer MMO, even if you have friends to play it you are better off playing any other game together. More considering how the game shits itself the more stuff is going on in an instance.
Self explanatory, making chars is the best and worst part of this game. Confirmed to be improved only at the release of Act 5.
Every time they add something it feels like a cool idea with almost zero thought process. For example the area jewels you can socket on the skill tree. They pretty much choose an arbitrary radius for each tier, and put them in. The only reason why a jewel may reach another skill node is because the later was somehow there at the moment of adding the former. They didn't redesign the tree around them, they just put them there, and they look ugly since the area barely touch some nodes and doesn't make much sense visually or design wise.
Unacceptable for a company who says the game is not pay to win.

Overall, PoE gets a Clusterfuck/10 rating. It's the best out there if you like making builds or having a fuckton of features, the only thing that comes close is MedianXL. But it has a lot of shortcomings. I'm a sucker for good game design so I always drop it after a while.

I wish I could play it at all without a two second input delay.

Fuck my fucking toaster.

I know that feel, m8.
I had the game just sit in my library for over a year until recently. Scored big on the junkyard. So big in fact that I'm banned from digging through garbage there.

3,5 k

I love Grim Dawn because it is a min-maxer's wet dream. The ability to combine classes and mix and match skills on top of the devotion system and the item sets and stuff makes it fucking awesome to mess around with. The fact that you can re-spec basically 80% of your skill points means even if you decide something doesn't work you can just go back and un-fuck your skilling. Plus, I love how basically you are the underdog in a battle between the Aetherials and the C'thonians to the point where you can run into them fighting each other, or even against wildlife. The fact that you can lure two rival heroes to fight each other makes it even better.I honestly haven't had this much fun with an ARPG since Torchlight 2.Omg shill whatever

In Diablo 2, making an untwinked character and beating Hell Diablo or Baal with LoD is the game. You play the character. You get stronger while playing the game. You farm for items to progress. You have fun while doing it except when starting A3 and going through the flayer areas.

In PoE you just ignore the game and try to get to maps ASAP. Every act, every boss fight, every area you want to ignore as much possible so you can go mapping and heaven forbid you have to grind for maps outside of maps. You can only start having fun with a character once you hit lvl 75+, everything before that is just tedious and boring at best. Farm for items because you're stuck? Fuck no. Craft items? Waste of crafting mats, just trade instead. Gamble items? What a joke. Your character doesn't get stronger, you don't overcome the game's challenges. All you really do is farm for crafting mats so you can trade for gear you need. Sometimes you'll even get a unique or a decent rare you can trade away for more crafting mats. But finding something good for yourself? Not happening.

That's the crux of the problem with PoE: it's a grinding game where you're forced to do boring shit to start grinding. D2 is a ARPG where you can grind once you beat the game if you so desire.

What do you guys think about first person ARPGs, Hellgate, Blunderlands, Dead Island, Shadow Warrior 2, prolly some others I don't know about?

Haram to say it here but Destiny is the best first person looting game.

If you like arpg you should play HellGate, best game of the genre
:^)

I actually keep forgetting about it, should probably try playing it as some point. Can't be worse than Borderlands 2 at least.

It's not that hard to be the best at a genre that only has had shit games so far.

The question is why are the existing ones so shit at their job?

I actually like the original game and it's vanilla stalker like feeling, which is better with mods.
The multi was comfy as fuck when it came out.
The mmo is a clusterfuck
The armor design is amazing in my opinion.

The armor and weapon designs are the only reason i'm even interested in it, though you have the model viewer on their site so i wouldn't buy it even if i had a ps3/4

It is really disappointing too how every game seems to be crippled with horrible flaws despite being fairly promising initially. Also disappointing that I can't stop myself from playing them even though I know they are going to be shit.

Lessee…

Now I haven't played Destiny but I was told at least the core gameplay of shooting stuff is good and apparently the expansions have gotten better, but it's still consolekid shooter with aim help because fucking gamepad fps.

Am I missing anything else?

since you've got Arcanist, why not get OOF for the huge Fire Resist debuff that makes all your skills rape face?

Dungeon Lords.

I never even heard about it. Any anons want to weigh in on it?

what's wrong with this game?

Nothing. This game is perfection.

Borderlands actually wasnt shit for that reason. The first was just an overall shallow game with poor level design and shitty WoW quests everywhere. Sequel and Pre-sequel actually did a lot of things better, but still had shitty quests and somehow managed to fuck up the core mechanics of the game with impossibly retarded scaling and fewer weapons with less variety and horrible manufacturer mods that made most weapons useless.
Can't speak for Dead Island itself as I've only played Riptide, but that wasn't too bad playing as the aussie going around punching and kicking zombie shit in. As someone who absolutely loves Dark Messiah, I had a blast with it.
I actually don't remember too much about Hellgate as I haven't played it since release, but seeing EA and GFWL on the box is more than enough to know whats wrong with it.
Also forgot to mention Vermintide and Hellraid NEVER EVER, maybe even Dark Messiah just because it is fairly similar to a lot of other games in the genre despite not being a loot-a-thon.

Both are good.

POE feels like an MMO ARPG mass up because of the way you obtain gear.

Grim Dawn you can just pick up and play.

The funniest thing is that grim dawn is closer to titan quest than it is to the original diablo

So whatever happened with Torchlight 2? I remember before it released they promised expansions. It's been 4 years and not a word.

Given how they're made by the same devs, I'm not surprised

A Game that was released unfinished, full of bugs.

However it has a awesome Class/Skill System, the combat in the Game is just plain fun and the Level and Puzzles are really quite good, this could have been easily a cult classic, if the Game was more finished.

However they then release later versions to fix the bugs and make the Game look a little more finished, but by doing so they removed the awesome Class/Skill System and made the combat stupid.

So if you try to play Dungeon Lords, avoid the later versions and go with the original release and patch.

Sure, but you probably know that i meant mechanics wise.

Well if we are going to go in-depth about why the games actually suck…
Borderlands had shit skilling. Virtually all of them are just stat bonuses that you barely notice the difference in your game.

Vermintide has great core gameplay but it is ruined by the fact that you need a good team to do well and your earn a single piece of equipment at the end of a thirty minute mission, making progression unbelievably boring. The fact that it does so by rolling dice in your face just makes it even worse.

Dark Messiah doesn't really count, it is more like a first person brawler. Hellraid isn't out yet.

bl1 a smaller skill tree but was more than just a +5 to whatever. most of the skills but alteast half of them had actual modifiers/benefits, bl2 threw that out of the window for more skills and fewer "game changer" skills. That and the changed scaling made bl2 worse (outside of writing of course).
We tread personal opinions territory here but for me bl1's was more tongue in cheek and completely bearable than the lol so random "humor" later on. While i'm not saying bl1 was a good game, however it was miles better overall than 2 or pre sequel is.

Oh right, i'd recommend din's curse. It has a shitton of options to make thing interesting, like modifiers for your character (hardcore, half hardcore, hunger, can only wear rare stuff/etc), and your town (enemy level, Less but powerful or more but weaker enemies) and of course hybrid classes.

somebody obviously didnt do a stealth run

I share your opinion user, but you forgot that bl1 also had some pretty good dlc/expansion packs

I always grabbed the daze skill on lilith and struck people just before the match began
half the time i was able to shoot two of them dead before they even looked at me

I always did/do (whenever i suddenly decide to replay it) a full jew mordecai build (rouge/gunslinger with fully upgraded bloodwing/cooldown).

I wish I were as optimistic as you.

Anyway to increase the performance? I don't get how a game that uses the same engine as Titan Quest, looks worse on the lowest settings and runs like total shit.

I really, really want to play a first person ARPG that isn't a shitty shooter, as odd as that sounds. It would require some weird level design due to the perspective and melee combat will probably be bizarre at best, but I'd still give it a pirate
Just let me blast dudes with arcane power through my character's eyes, dammit.

Try this out and tell me how it works.

u wot m8

That made it quite a bit better, thanks user. But still getting some stuttering whenever my character makes a quick turn for some reason. If I'm running straight it's stable, but if I do a quick 180 turn It'll stutter.

It does that to me, too.
The game's tied to your CPU, just deal with it for the next 5 years.

Have you tried Lichdom: Battlemage?

I have not.

Well kind of, PoE seems more boring though.
Especially since in PoE you build around 1 skill.
Say you want to be an aoe "cold" mage; you choose ice blast then copy-paste an online build around it.

In other ARPs there's more customisation and also leveling is a joy.

as a PoE fan, this is admittedly true but atleast you have real choice compared to say… Diablo 3.

I honestly didn't even give Diablo 3 a glance. How casualized did Blizz make it?

I remember picking locks on chests to be a headache, combat to be quite fun with all that twitch dodging you can do and the class progression system to be unnecessarily complex, requiring early planning with the game manual in hands.

What is the minimum power CPU that makes it still playable comfortably?

Is that a serious question?
I have no idea. I believe I'm running an AMD Phenom and I usually do fine except for Fort Ikon and the areas past it.

Late game builds are based on set items that improve one or two skills.

Is there a place I can get the original besides pirating (I'm on uni network). I last played it when I was like 12 and I had good (albeit retarded) memories of it.

From what others have said, the remastered version seems to be inferior.

Scratch that, the steam version runs on a custom steam lobby, making a Holla Forums multi playthrough very possible.

Allow me to indulge a bit of my autism here

Customization like a motherfucker and with the introduction of ascendancy classes got even stronger, only bad thing is that meta builds are so strong and so goddamn fast that you are going to feel like a sucker playing anything else
My only real problem is the always online, drops are balanced for multiplayer so be prepared to jew the fuck out of your items, also if you are HC only kind of guy get ready t be killed by lag, disconnects and server fuck ups you deserve this because you where dumb enough to play HC on a online only game

Dual Classes, fuck yes, also while slower and with a bit of a clunky feeling the game gets smoother has you level up and you get more skill and devotion points to play around with and since it's offline drops are ´pretty well balanced, you got epic's, legendarys and even monster infrequent items (wich can be normal, magic or rare) that give you specific skills and/or stats from a certain enemy, like summoning a Chthonic minion to help you out, it´s fucking great.

Both games have they strong and weak points, but if you genuinely enjoy arpgs you going to find reasons to play each one of them

Just finished playing Grim Dawn for a few hours. I promptly uninstalled it, but here are my thoughts:

The combat system seems based entirely around picking one offensive skill and filling out passives around it and gearing up around. You want to use an ice based skill? Pick up every ice based passive and every ice based devotion and spam that one skill to oblivion! This is the reason why Diablo 2 1.10+, PoE and Torchlight 2 fucking suck. Build up around 1 skill and have at most 2-3 support/defensive skills and everything else is just filling out passives.

Monster variety was severely lacking. I quit shortly after killing the warden guy (act1 boss?) once I found out I was gonna go through Lut Gholein and was set to keep fighting a bestiary that consists of 90% humanoid. Plus, you can't tell them apart at a glance because they don't even come with a good palette swap.

Loot was average, at the very best. Found 4-5 blue items and it was all garbage. Kept the same weapon from like lvl 5 till I quit because it had the dmg mod I wanted. For armor I just tried to use whatever had the most defense/resists, but there was a ton of useless +2 spirit or +3% physique junk which made almost everything I picked up worthless. Couldn't find a gambling NPC and vendor items were so fucking expensive and kept scaling to my lvl so much that I could barely afford them, so I didn't bother with those. Crafting NPC guy was 100% worthless and didn't have any worthwhile recipes (which probably would've crapped out shit gear with +15 health and 3 offense ratio).

Music/voice acting was forgettable. Ambiance was pretty poor compared to Diablo 2 and PoE. Graphics were passable. Spell effects were unimpressive. Skill variety was absolute garbage, at least for the class/subclass I played (Occultist/Soldier). Bosses were damage sponges with boring attacks. Difficulty was piss easy, I was never in any danger and I cleared entire screens in less than 10 seconds.

It gets better, but you seem to have already made up your mind.

>everybody's getting buffed too
What the fuck is going on?

Possibly an incoming expansion or difficulty?
Theres got to be a reason they're making everyone stronger

Because cadence witchblade was objectively the strongest build in the game, and casters were shit tier.

So fuck it, buff everyone.

I wish more games took this approach

Not everyone. Summoner warlocks are getting gutted hard since manifestation was huge for them and the pet damage is getting thrown out the window.

I really liked that they buff devotion tree from flavor bonus into real bonus.

Not if your caster doesn't need to even meet the enemy to kill them. Fire/burning mages worked fine even before the buff. It's just a pain to get +burning gear for them without farming it across 3-4 characters.

I like TL2. And it's natively for Linux. Not grimdark like most other ARPGs like Diablo

I probably could have honestly killed him pre-patch but I got sick of running through SOT over and over and just gave up. Now I feel like I just cheated

But seriously what the hell is going on?

Anyone have dungeon lord and up for a game? I got one character to level 30+ through pure autism and now I'm ready for a restart after learning back the tricks of playing that game.

I'm going to make a warrior-mage-lord this time around. Dual wielding everything should prove hilarious fun.