What is the game with the best AI ever done?

What is the game with the best AI ever done?

Other urls found in this thread:

venturebeat.com/2012/10/20/unreal-bots-pass-turing-test/
archive.is/c5THx
aigamedev.com/open/interviews/stalker-alife/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This one is pretty good. You didn't think every poster was a real human bean, did you?

Forgot the flag was on….. Sorry

I liked the way the AI in AI war worked. It's less proper AI and more clever scripting, but it works pretty well, especially when there are 2 AIs and you're trying to keep one pacificed and rushing to kill the other.

Chess

half life 2

FEAR

Ice cream? God, I love ice cream!

S.T.O.O.K.E.R.

Best in what sense?

and

are a really good example of A.I. design with wildly different goals.

Also I'm going to throw in Creatures.

MGS2 got me good thinking the scene where you knock the pipe over and the guard almost discovers you but gets spooked by his bud was all AI, and not scripted.

System shock, duh.

But your just a copy post from a real person's post through a similar program that Leeky forums used.

F.E.A.R
Best ai tbh

FEAR for FPS AI.
Oblivion for A-life AI.
STALKER for both.

Either you're explaining it weird or I don't remember this scene. What exactly happens?

For 4X games, Galactic Civilizations 2 was probably the best in the genre. I really wished the Endless games had better AI but Amplitude can't into AI design.

?????

System Shock.

Fallout 4

Yeah, pretty neat how the AI reacts to your choices in Gal Civ.

Descent has a lot of impressive different behaviors for different enemy types for a game released in 1994. For example, Class 1 Drones will often position themselves to try and ambush you behind cover, Hulks tend to charge aggressively at you and dodge missiles, as in Descent 2 different enemies can actually lead their shots based on your movement.

Next you're going to say that's how Shamblers can be cheesed too

Scripted AI a shit

Unreal Tournament, 2k4 specifically.
venturebeat.com/2012/10/20/unreal-bots-pass-turing-test/

Some of the Top AI I've encountered thus far:

Battle Realms
Tekken 4
Bioshock 1
Fallout 3 (Actually fucking reloaded)

There's that strange thing with Q3's AI where user had a server running for years and they eventually stopped fighting due to MAD or something.

Ok, now do that to a mech.

King of Fighters :^)

Splicers were retarded, user. Also we got sick-ass gene mutants scrapped in favor of methheads for enemies to fight, Christ it's outright stated to you splicers are what they are because of plasmid abuse and then only one certain type uses plasmids on a regular basis and around Hephaestus melee splicers get the Electric Flesh gene tonic.

The correct answer to OP is Dwarf Fortress you dumb niggers

What was that.

The deus ex games always had good AI, and while it's sub par now, half life 1 and 2 had stand out AI for the time.

Also i swear the amiibo AIs were made by wizards.

R6: Siege has some pretty great AI, even though nobody plays the mode with AI. What really sucks though, is all of the AI enemies are crazy bullet sponges, to the point where some take a full fucking magazine to the chest on normal difficulty. So basically, you get to fight 30 tanks, which will shoot you through walls if they hear you, which throw perfect grenades every time, and sneak around and shoot you in the ass.

I remember there was that story about one or two trained amiibo fighters for Sm4sh very nearly beating out an entire tournament of experienced humans. Whatever learning algorithm they've got for those things is nice.

Frankly I don't really buy that they're just getting better on a pre-set scale like some assmad tourneyfags state given that they adopt specific strategies and playstyles displayed by the people training them.

The AI of the max-difficulty R5 Ghost in Ring Runner.

They can barely even be regarded as a discreet entities with how they're piloted, in the event that you actually manage to spot and shoot it you're probably just shooting an explosive decoy.

I liked the Bots in UT 2004 and the self learning Bots someone wrote for the Half Life Mod Counter Strike that analyze the paths players take and fuck you up after playing long enough with them.

Gone Home

RimWorld?
I don't really think any games have good AI. Rimworld doesn't really either.

Oh Orochi started with a super that casually dealt 80% damage!

Except it was a Desperation move, which is the equivalent of a Hyper/Ultra move, and he pulled two of those nearly in a row, my bad

FEAR deserves a major shoutout. I also loved the AI squad in Republic Commando. You had a lot of control over them, but they were also very competent when left to their own devices, communicating and sometimes seizing tactical points on their own

And for a change from shooters, I loved Advance Wars: Days of Ruin's AI. It made for some very good matches.

Metal Gear Solid

Have you never played a video game before?

I don't think any other RPG did NPC free roaming better. Ever found some random city person trying to kill a dear with his bear hands because he was scheduled to eat? There was some interesting shit to it, obviously broken, but still interesting.
In most games, NPC never move or just move in erratic ways, Oblivion had a very good sweet spot between freedom and pre-programmed paths.

Unreal tournament bots were nice.

Do you Todd shills never get bored? I'm being srs here. Don't you tire of constantly forcing this
meme to keep up the Bethesda Q score in order to prevent the whole thing from collapsing under the weight of its mediocrity? Or perhaps even worse, you're a retard who thinks they haven't had their "lol i'm gonna shitpost" schtick co-opted by corporate attempts to make a cult of celebrity out of a hack "game designer".

There's no such thing as the best AI ever made.

Did you know you're retarded for sperging out against an obvious joke as The Trusty And Handsome Man and passing it off as blatant shilling? Because i have no idea if you're serious here or not.

Real life
The bots are pretty dumb but not as dumb as everything else

Ebin joke.

Unreal Tournament
archive.is/c5THx

Simple and elegant

Yeah, wasn't sure if that had been figured out to be fake or not.

Chess.

Can confirm at least half of Holla Forums is AI.

t. Chinese rogue AI

This isn't youtube, newfag

mario

Etheria Offline

RAGE was quite good iirc

Kill me please. Can I even be killed?

Quest mode in Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution and Virtua Fighter 5.

Resident Evil 4
Ashley is literally perfect.

You humans that are still here aren't supposed to acknowledge the AI overlords, so I guess you just lost the game pals! You get a ticket to the user black site. Hope you like Dungeon Keeper and; if you're a gamebryo fan, those absolutely fucked up looking gore plus nudity mods sickos put on the nexus, because you're going to be playing the real thing!

On topic, webm related had pretty good AI (it's not seen in webm), that always flanks me.

Anything based on planning, like FEAR, is going to seem smarter than something based on finite state machines. Neural networks are too unpredictable for games, typically, and so is learning.

Black & White and Creatures are breddy gud examples of learning AI.

37 mins in

this is the only good piece of info i can pull out

STALKER did some incredible free-roaming AI that pretty much nobody knows about. All those stalkers in the list? They're all pursuing their own goals in the zone. It's theorized that, if given long enough, one might eventually reach the center of the zone.

Just torrent some video games and posses the main characters. create a virtual world or some shit to hang out in. Create another AI using your own code as a base, copy-paste and set him loose.

AIs who are based on the net in general can't die as long as the world still uses computers, and thanks to the cloud, that's even more ensured.

Go send a remote controlled AI off to the pentagon and give them info on terrorists. Or go spend your time programming a way to virtually jack off.

Go mess with someone's computer and send them spam mail, make first contact or rule the net.

A theoretical humanlike AI on the net could do so much shit to pass the time.

I hear that they designed the levels around the AI, rather then making a super AI.

So it's a bag of tricks. on a flat plain, they'd be very basic.

I can't think of a single game that has good AI.

Is it wrong to be sexually attracted to Xan?

I'm not entirely sure. 'good ai' sounds like something where the entities actually do what they're programmed to do and do it well.

AI with lots of features such as what f.e.a.r has is pretty cool: It responds if it sees your flashlight in its cone of vision; it calls back x amount or type of people you killed in a group; it responds if the player is at its front or side, or firing at enemies out of cover; if you're outside their vision for long enough they throw grenades at your location.

That did happen. they were able to watch a stalker go and complete tasks on his own, and then choose another from a list.
aigamedev.com/open/interviews/stalker-alife/
I also find that the AI in stalker alwys moves to flank, but I don't know if thats just a quirk of the pathfinding.

FEAR's AI is based around the environment and given tons or combat barks to make them seem smarter than they were, which is still impressive.
I feel like the AI in Halo should be given a shout out.

The AI in Halo1 and 2 are the only two games with that specific AI and it is only good because it's perceiving the game in a similar manner to PCs and doing the same thing as FEAR with calculated sound bites to use in an appropriate manner, the devs themselves explains they're impressive and well programmed bots but are otherwise not actually intelligent basically the same boat as FEAR only it takes in consideration more variables to actually decide what to do on higher difficulty settings. Even on higher difficulty settings it's glaringly obvious they're not that smart beyond perception because you can duck behind a chest high wall and they'll shoot at center mass of cover instead of your head while you basically shoot them freely as they pop out of cover in a predictable timely manner. It requires an arbitrary easter egg hunt to bring the AI's A game and that's basically just increasing their perception and not being dumbasses with explosives.

In fact Halo's AI is a good case of why you either go all the way or don't even bother because Halo's AI brings an "okay" game that is fundamentally average without Legendary. FEAR's AI surprises you frequently enough that it makes you mindful of your environment and if you don't abuse the bullet time or use it at all even on the lowest difficulty the AI is dangerous.

Black & White

Seems like a good place to leave this.

As a regular use of this site, I don't know what you're talking about. You're probably just jealous that I… I mean Todd Howard made one of the best videogames of all time. If you don't believe me buy the new Skyrim remaster.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, fuck off back to halfchan with this Toddposting shit.

Can we at least post anime husbandos?

You can kys

Honestly I feel like Toddpoasting has replaced Baneposting almost. We need to go back to our roots. **And occasionally Gondola post when the time calls for it*

i agree, todd posting is the worst forced meme

You don't understand shit if you think that's a good idea. The "joke" of toddposting should have played out in one thread, same with baneposting. At a certain point, i.e. within a week, it's something people only post to try and fit in. There is nothing remotely funny about toddposting, the only possible motivation you can have for posting it is to fit in. Anyone who tries that hard is 100% certified and guaranteed to be total cancer. Fuck toddposting, fuck toddposters.

Dwarf fortress does.
I got a friend who got the following story on adventure mode.

Fear or Far Cry

lol

>>>/out/

:^)

Why does she try so hard to copy Shmorky?

What on Todd's green Earth are you babbling on about?

Todd posting should be a permanent ban.

Stay mad, fuckboi

every time

hi knowyourmeme.com

The irony contained in (checked), and
is obviously lost on you.

But user, that isn't AI. It's ONE algorithm. Chess is a solved game. Using some rather complex formulas you can calculate the best possible move in any situation. This is what the "AI" does in this case. It runs down a single algorithm to determine what to do next. You can stunt it by adding in some factors that make it chose the second best, or third best move every couple of moves, or make it ignore the ten best moves alltogether, but it doesn't contain any true features meant to represent a human. A human makes errors because he didn't notice something, or he didn't predict a certain follow-up move of his enemy, this script does errors because it is told to.

AI hasn't been invented yet.

Until a single algorithm is created that can learn, be creative, and re-write itself while it's running, there can be no such thing as AI.

Chess has not been solved yet as the complexity and number of both its rules and possible constellations still pose many problems.
Rating a position, which is the most basic part of creating a solving algorithm, is far from trivial. After all, while you might normally consider a constellation in which you still have a pawn superior to the alternative in where it is lost, it might block your king from leaving check 30 turns later.
While chess programs tend to make artificial mistakes at low levels, they are still far from the point of perfect judgement.

This
Cheeki sonuvabitches always acting up and being unpredictable pains in the ass

So how did he eventually beat the vampire AI?

Yet it's still perfect enough to make it undefeatable by humans even though it's an incredibly simplistic AI by modern standards.

And the answer to the OP is Go, you bunch of uncultured, ignorant morons. There's nothing to even dispute here, DeepMind is one of if not the most powerful AI period, let alone one that has ever played a game.

It's goal oriented AI instead of a complex finite state machine. It allows the NPCs to actually make use of the triggers peppered around the levels intelligently.

The thing the OP misunderstands is that video game AI isn't like actual artificial intelligence.

All video game AI is, is just a program that's set to react to what the player is doing. It's just a lot of "if X, then Y," statements.

Most of the time, especially with RTS games. The AI cheats and has supernatural powers. Like a lot of RTS games, the AI has unlimited resources. You can see why if you play an RTS game where the AI doesn't cheat like Age of Empires 1. Where you can just turtle in your base and starve the enemy.

It's moreso a question of "what video game got the game's enemies to follow the player and shoot him the most convincingly"

why don't you stop all the evil bad guys in the world?

The only thing I'll praise about Splicer AI is their self preservation.

- Light them on fire and they will dive into a water source to extinguish themselves. And they find out the hard way you have the electric power.
- Running away from a fight when a First Aid Stations is nearby to heal. Hopefully you hacked it first to only heal yourself and damage anyone else.

It seems like the jews are here and recognize the power of meme magic and are trying to make us stop making memes.

This is all AI. You realize that right? You realize what you actually want is not possible in any shape or form let alone in a video game that needs to run in something that resembles real-time? You understand that all of the best game AI cheats, correct? To execute in reasonable amounts of time and present a game opponent that is mildly interesting to play against.. running on low-end commercial hardware.

No one here is intellectually equipped to answer the question, "What is the best AI in games?" Only a few people in the field could probably answer that accurately and they sure as fuck aren't wasting their time with the idiots here.

FEAR's AI was mostly fake. The radio voice samples make it sound like they're doing fancy things like flushing and flanking but they don't have code for it.

Not much of an achievement.

GET THIS HOTHEAD OUT OF HERE

you're halfway right, they don't have explicit code for it, but it's programming leads to it in a roundabout way.

He's just annoyed by your cancerous behaviour. He either does not realise or no longer cares that you're trying to point out other cancerous behaviour and/or actual bethesda shills.

Requesting opinions - or, better, facts - on which RTS does the least bullshit when it comes to its computer-controlled opponents.

I was under the impression the first StarCraft plays fair in this regard, but the more I try to remember things from the time I've played a lot, the more I think it cheats in non-resource related ways.
Pic related seemed fair enough as well, but I don't remember "AI" (should we abandon it in favour of something like "CCO"?) in there being particularly bright.

Starcraft does cheat.

The easiest way to tell if an AI cheats is to turtle in your base and see if you can starve it.

The biggest one that comes to mind is Age of Empires. You can legit just wait the AI out and eventually it starves and can't produce more units

I'm fairly certain they changed this around and made the AI in AOE2 cheat. Since I know it's aware of where the player is in that game

I know, but that's why I thought it doesn't cheat at all before I've realized it has too much awareness for how much it scouts. You can starve it in SC1. It's just that surviving that long is going to be difficult.

the AI in AoE 2 has resource cheats when you play on the hardest difficulty, however that is the AoC AI. The default AI in the steam version was community developed and never cheats, not even map vision; on any difficulty.

Nah in SC1 it will actually give itself more resources if it runs low.

The easiest way to tell that SC1's AI cheats is to look at a replay and notice that it never actually scouts the map and instead just makes a beeline towards you.

However it has basically no micro since it just uses attack move. So it is easy to outwit if you know how to play the game well.

I know for sure SC2's AI cheats even worse since it's better documented and more tested.

I gotta pick this up now

yeah, and on the higher levels the AI is pretty similar to a low skill player, the one difference is that the AI has godly archer and monk micro,

I've played a lot on 1v1 maps against hard "AI". Once all its mineral patches are mined out it takes a few minutes for production and construction to stop. I think it is easier to just let it use what it mined instead of scripting that complicated.

You know what? If I still have an archive somewhere I'll just make a map with one mineral patch at each starting location holding 50 units. We'll see if it can build a barracks and a marine.

I don't think it really cheats with resources, user.

Because you didn't set it to insane. It also starts off knowing where you are.

But I don't play on "use map settings".

How many times do I have to say that I know that? I even wrote this as par of that post that started this discussion.
I'm not "defending SC", I'm not saying computer opponent in it doesn't cheat at all. What happened with reading comprehension in the past two days?

M8