Rogue-likes

Let's change that. What's character doing, tell stories, post screenshots, etc. (I'd post other rogue-likes other then dorf, but I factory reset my computer and forgot to add the folder)

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/roguelikedev/comments/53bla0/roguelike_celebration_twitch_videos_with/
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Creature_token#ORIENTATION
bay12games.com/lcs/
github.com/tmhedberg/dcss-ehe
crawl.develz.org/release/
elona.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Story
elona.wikia.com/wiki/Elona+_Japanese/English_Translation
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

best crawler with lots of stuff
best classic crawler
best survival game
2nd best because sjw
best df

good one, op

Read again. I never said Rogue-lite. I said Rogue-like.

What''s this about Unreal World being SJW?

Not rougelite.

Cataclysm was infested by faggots. Unreal world is still great and updates often.

I can still play Rogue and have fun, that's how fucking solid the original Rogue is.

That what happens when development is communal.

It got too popular with normalfags because of its theme. But single nickbeard developer is always the best way.

My bad, totally misread that.
It's not a roguelike either, though. It's a rogueheavy.

A roguelite is a game that borrows some features of roguelikes, but in a mostly superficial way.
A rogueheavy is a game that makes roguelikes look like roguelites.

That has to be the most retarded shit I've seen posted in a roguelike thread.

I just want to ride my deathmobile into battle

Not everything with ascii graphics is a roguelike. Adventure mode is good enough, but fortress mode is nothing like a roguelike in any real way.

so far my favorite roguelike is ToME

any love for this game? I really like how slick the UI is.

At least they finally moved the filthy clothes thing into a mod.

Are you trying to force a meme?

I just removed the soap requirement. With that gone it's fun.
I also added the option to make makeshift screwdrivers with a shitload of string as an optional replacement for duct tape.

As I said in the OP, I'd post other rogue-likes if I had pictures of them, and I have no pictures of adventure mode as well.

Looks pretty good. Tell me about that shit.

Hi guys, I'm a faggot, what's going on in here?

What about this one? It's pretty sizable for a roguelike ,is it worth the download?

One Way Heroics is pretty complex for what it is.
Id recommend at least trying.

Eh I didnt really do anything different with the filthy clothes shit, I just cut up everything into rags and took the shit I could use anyway. The ones I´d want to keep would warrant a run to a store anyway.

Play the enhanced original version instead. The Mystery Chronicles version is one step forward, five steps back.

ToME plays more like an open-world RPG than a traditional roguelike when it comes to game progression.

The game has a world-map with several areas. Some are important for the main quest, some just for sidequests. This makes the game progression pretty non-linear.

ToME's biggest boon is its class variety. There are a lot of classes and sub-classes with different skill trees that allow for a lot of different builds. There are also a couple of races to even increase variety. You have to unlock most classes, sub-classes and races mostly by completing sidequests.

The game has a traditional roguelike mode with one life. Due to its scope (a playthrough will imo take at least a dozen hours, never actually managed to finish it) there's also an adventure mode with limited amounts of lives (you start with a fix amount and gain lives by completing certain milestone quests) that lends itself to beginners.

There's a free download on the game's homepage.

Did anyone here play DoomRL? It's by far my favorite Roguelike.

Thank's a bunch. Sounds like fun.

Fuck yeah, I always felt like shotguns were pretty overpowered in it, though. Not like that isn't the case in the FPS, though.

in what way?

Worse music, worse art direction (although this is more subjective), more meme tier writing, debatebly worse UI, the new trap system cranks the RNG bullshit to the extreme when playing harder difficulties and worse balance classes and abilities.

and the one step forward?

unique sprites for items, so you don't have to rely on text as much

Yeah definitely, Shotgun Scouts feel kind of overpowered. Crazy mobility and shotguns are great sonars to check for enemies in the fog.

Pistol Technician is probably my favorite build. Sharpshooter is a really nice trait that requires slow-paced and tactical play.

I just wish ToME wasn't so butt ugly. I enjoy it fairly well regardless.

I'm not a big fan. Apart from the graphics and music, the gameplay is poor. The dungeons are incredibly bland for a game with permadeath. Starting out a new character if you die so is brutally boring and tedious even for a roguelike. It's made even worse because the game is so story based, which is not a strong point of the genre. I respect that the guy tried to pull it off, but he failed regardless.

It's like a game trying to compromise between being a roguelike and a modern RPG and failing terribly at it. The original was an excellent angband variant though, so I might just be bitter because the author just threw the whole thing out, pretends it never existed, and replaced it with this half-baked crap.

Yeah, the praise TOME4 gets when it's so shit still surprises me.

I plan on developing a roguelike. What's a good way to start? Any particular tools/programs that might work well?

Personally, I like tons of character creation options. Obviously you want progression to be the most meaningful aspect, but don't be afraid to let the player start the game as some really weird shit.
Like a sentient gelatinous slime.

How much do you know already?
What kind of game do you want to make?

I'm actually working on one right now myself, although it's very unconventional to the point where I'm not sure if it counts as a roguelike. Not lite, but… something.

so what's a better roguelike then? Any with the same amount of polish on the UI that ToME has?

I know roguelikes, but making a game is new to me, sadly.

I was thinking more structured survival.

Go on.

which vehicle mod?

Basically a horror/fantasy prison escape where the floors change each time you die and wake up in your cell. That's the core of it.

I feel like texture packs reduce the overall experience of Dorf Fort.
The default ASCII is really quite timeless and is almost magical in that it demands your imagination to understand what you are seeing.

ToME is best played and considered as a straight-up RPG.

I can think of a couple of roguelikes I enjoyed more which are sort of similar to the new ToME like ADOM or IVAN. But really it's an issue of taste, I recently found some games that look like shit are actually fun once you dig your teeth into them like Vanilla Angband. For something with more modern game design ideals I would say Crawl, but I was never a big fan of that either.

Really it depends on what's most important to you. I never really payed a whole lot of attention to the interface in any roguelike I played.Usually I just wanted it to be functional and that was enough for me. The only roguelike I've played with an interface I might actually call bad enough to notice is Omega, but I got used to even that eventually.

You could use the pdcurses library, once you get that it's pretty straight forward to make whatever you want. If you're interested in doing something with graphics I don't know what to tell you.

Blazemod, aka Vehicle Additions Pack
and now they broke Artyoms

Mine also got broken to shit because lolupdate is retarded and breaks something that was not only working well but also better
also why the fuck have they broken tailoring? You need to be an ace to do anything mundane and it takes billions of tries.

What did they do now?
My last update that Im sticking to was 2 months ago

There was an update shortly before 4100 that changed the engines in game. Instead of each engine having a random displacement they all had the same but something changed within the fucking files themselves that I wasnt able to find that fucked up everything.
The version I'm on is 4068, and it's from 9 months ago or so.

I was never a big fan of that game.

Is there any rogue-like with lewd?

Corruption of Champions on hardest difficulty is the closest thing I know of.

Elona+

I suppose we could call it something more catchy, like roguetroidvania.

That doesn't even make sense. Please get some better bait and try again later.

Since when does Elona have lewds?

Any roguelike can have lewds if you just use your imagination.

With enough imagination your mind can be "lewds".

It doesn't have to make sense, it just has to sound appealing to today's youth.

Anyone played Caves of Qud? Is it worth checking out?

Is there a roguelike like Elona, tons of shit, good sprites, good music, quests, etc?

adom is pretty fun. I recently beat adom for first time as a grey elven wizard, Now I'm trying out non magic user classes.

Do you guys ever do the cat lord quest? seems like a such chore for relatively small reward. I actually haven't done it yet, because It just doesn't seem worth it, but I decided to try with my current character.

Good games and all but it feels like potential is being squandered here.

Why don't we try to make our own roguelike?

Yeah, it's one of my favorites.

We tried making a C:DDA variant but it went terribly

At least mod classes can somewhat keep ToME fresh for me (or at least they did until recently, because now i have so many that my game occasionally just fucking dies)

I'm dumb. What's the best way to get Dorf Fortress with The Rapist working on Linux? I can get DF working, but not The Rapist, and it's impossible to play without it.

Nigga we tried to make our own chan site, look how that turned out.

Anything particularly interesting? The official site has a mods section but the people who usually publish them have little clue how to properly tag anything or make it sound even remotely interesting. It reminds me of when I was 13 and making terrible C&C Generals maps.

I've actually been brushing up on modding myself recently
GIVE ME IDEAS FOR CLASSES TO MAKE NIGGERS
but I can recommend Embers Pyreal (really fucky and interesting magic play), Deathknight (lots of build variety), Doctornull's class pack (adds a few cool classes, basically an expansion's worth of content) and Necromancy+ (turns the game into the sort of necromancer summon-fest we all want and keep making threads about).

I still have yet to unlock the necromancer class because I am a pleb and don't make it that far

For ToME? I haven't played much of it, but what about an illusionist class or a mind control class?

I'll check those out. Make a werewolf class Don't say it

Just download the class/race unlocker mod from the official site. That might sound like cheating but you have to do inane shit like deal 1 million fire damage to unlock the pyromancer class skills so nobody will judge you.

While we're on the topic, does anyone have any of the expansions? I ain't paying for that shit.

Illusions are one thing I could do, sure, but it's pretty broad. What weapon would they use? What would their talent trees be geared towards? Concepts are dime-a-dozen. Theorycraft some tree ideas.

Embers of Rage is pretty… Eh. The new area is good, it contains 3 plots (I think?), but 2 of the 3 new classes are fucking garbo and the 3rd one is broken (sawbutcher) if you have any kind of critical thinking abilities. The tinkers system is cool in concept, but it drains a fuckton of your points to make any decent tinkers, and the ones you end up making have fuck-all impact on your stats.

10/10 filename

Well, what about psiblades? The current masteries are more nature-oriented, so why not have something leaning more towards the arcane, attacks that are good at disabling the enemy?
If possible, maybe they could have invisible illusory projectiles that don't give away their position?

A class that meshes together arcane and nature? They're pretty much intrinsically separate routes… Though I suppose I could just make NEW psiblades that are magic-based. I'm not sure about anything involving invisibility, though - as far as I've seen, every class that relies on stealth has been bad early, mid, and lategame (on the rare chance I got that far). Hm.

also, holy fuck these digits

Well, it's your turn to make a stealth class that's useful, isn't it?

I mean, I like the idea of the challenge, but overhauling the entire system as my first mod feels a wee bit too ambitious.

explain how sawbutcher is broken, I just got the embers of rage and i'm interested

What about a ranged psionic class?

(czech'd)
You mean Solipsism? If you don't, I'm not sure what you're getting at - an archer with psion skills?

There's a ssutain talent that grants you bonus movement speed until you use a skill or attack something, whereupon you deal a fuck-you amount of aoe damage. You can build entirely around jetting around at the speed of sound (using your motherfucking saws as wheels) and raping mooks while saving your boss-killing skills (like the one that inflicts a "deal 20-50% less damage" debuff). Movement buff means you ALWAYS get the drop on enemies and can pick and choose your engagements.

Am I going to need another weapon for this character at any point in time?

Yeah, pretty much. Doesn't seem too hard to make, does it?

I've yet to play the psionic classes, but couldn't one just fiddle with the existing mindslayer talents to make them work with a bow/sling?

Eh, it would kinda feel like what said; just taking another class and going "but they use different weapons ;^)". I'm more interested in making something slightly more unique, y'know?

What about a psionic archer that can fire gems to augment their shots?

You mean lewd content or lewd fanart? I don't see a lot of fanart besides what gets posted in the Elona threads, but Elona's lewd as hell. You can marry and fuck any of your party members, regardless of gender, species, or age. You can also get merchants drunk and whore yourself out to get quick cash and train Charisma. I don't think there's any explicit imagery, though, except for one of the goddesses being a naked dominatrix.

some of the music is worse, some is better but theres less variety compared to owh+ in which there are several songs per area.
its anime and it doesnt pretend to be anything else
why did they think this is a good idea? is there even a way to detect these fucking things besides attacking every tile before walking on to it?
like 15% of it is just embarrassing and slutty. im not against lewdness but i must emphasize that it is embarrassing. the fairy remains a fun character at least, but i have yet to unlock her silly meta conversations if they even exist
by far the most annoying part is that the interface is a bit clunkier. you cant tell how much cash a merchant is carrying, using/throwing items off of the ground isnt working properly. turns are slower, especially as more characters are loaded in. it doesnt save cursor position when opening the same menu incase you want to munch 6 healing herbs for example. thats not such a huge deal as you can just assign it to a quick slot but its still worth noting as an inconvinience. browsing menus is slower overall. theres annoying dirty word detection for character names and world seeds, you also have less characters(no. of letters) to work with for your character(hero).
worth mentioning
for better or worse they exist, im pretty sure the dimensional vault is less forgiving. arent those dirt tiles in the desert supposed to give you a small opportunity to fight withotu reduced speed? it still displays that your Mv is reduced by desert terrain. but i wonder if it actually still slows you.
there was no true multiplayer, but you were occasionally updated on the progress of other players who were playing the same world seed. (something made reasonable by daily/weekly rotating scenarios). you could also encounter the ghost of a dead player who would gift you something. in this iteration of the game youre required to do some sort of twitter nonsense for that functionality.
last but not least:

its certainly not better in this regard but it was hardly ever balanced.

weapons, monsters, side quests, classes
if you roll a combo attack and defeat an opponent it can carry over the combo to a new target. pack horse merchants seem more common but that could just be luck. im sure there were a few other things but im exhausted and i forget right now.
if thats your thing

Cataclysm actually seems to be recovering now that Kevin's out of the picture.

Post forgotten beasts.

Good news for once from that game

for one, it isn't a roguelike nigger

That game is actually pretty good despite looking like a Minecraft bootleg of Lovecraft.

Wait since when?

The forgotten beast Originl Postearr has come! A large hairless Orangutan. It has large clawed hands and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its faggotry!

Just started playing IVAN. How am I doing?

He hasn't posted on the forums or been active on github since mid-July.

I need some serious tips for (un)Nethack, I'm way too shit at this game

First of all, congrats on beating the game. The first victory is the most satisfying. The quest can be a chore especially in the early game without coming by PoEs.

This is where you're wrong. The catlord ring is pretty much the best ring in the game with a whooping +16 dex. Races other than elves have potential around that area and some don't even come close. That's effectively doubling your dex.

If it seems too hard to deal with cats, use potions of exchange, lure them onto traps, kite them away or if you want to go easy mode play bard or druid.

Also you can pacify cats by giving them raw meat.

reddit.com/r/roguelikedev/comments/53bla0/roguelike_celebration_twitch_videos_with/

You are doing ok. You have found some good things: book of mellis and ring of fire resistance. You should pick up and equip any armor you can find. Look for wands, potions, armor, you will need them to kill giant plant at the end of the tunnel. Drop corpses of plants to the ground, they are useless and burden you.

wait, really? that's awesome. Also, thanks for the tips. speaking of pacifying, few days ago I found out you can pacify rust monsters by shooting quarrels at them:D. Tho' I wasted few quarrels before I realised why the rust monster wasn't dead already. since I had left bows and arrows in dwarf town, so that I can train my crossbow skill, I decided to leave the rust monster alive.

Does it bug anyone else that they sell the game AND beg for donations at the same time? The whole "you have to buy the game to play the expansion content" basically makes it a shareware demo

just out of pity
'cause your b8 is shitty
have a response
and lurk some moar
you fucking ponce

Is DF really a rougelike?
I guess adventure mode might be.

even though its spoilered you really have to go back
>>>/reddit/

Holla Forums was shilled on reddit.
Embrace your brothers.

MaidenSnow Eve

it has been for a very long time now. doesnt mean those niggers, like you. need to come here to shitpost and destroy our board culture. if youre defending redditors coming on here you might as well kill yourself
youre a fucking double nigger and you should go back just like the guy i replied to earlier

literally no images to even convey my diguist

Make a nigger (tribal) class
no magic
Heavy on damage and dexterity/agility (or whatever the equivalent is in your game) but low on health

internet omnipresence > self-containment in a dead imageboard
you might as well bitch about 8ch twitter, youtube embeds or everything everyone that has given you video games to enjoy has used and still use.
this elitism is delusional and impractical.

We do.
This elitism is what keeps us alive.

How about something retard like:
A mage class that uses heavy armor and no weapon, it kills by controlling enemies to fight for him, reflecting attacks and confusing enemies to attack themselves

Would you say it's in any way a sequel or just an alternative version that is arguably worse?
I still play OWH on occasion but once I'm fed up I wouldn't mind some sort of sequel.

You had better get more dorfy.

you're doing fine but you need to turn your limbs into diamond as soon as possible!

and to top it all off it now takes fucking three hours to do car repairs in cata

FUCK
U
CK

OFF
F
F

Is there a caveman roguelike?

no, but you can play a caveman in nethack

no fuck you I wanna ride dinosaurs and kidnap hairy neanderthal bitches and bring them to my cave on Skull Island

Don't get your hopes up about the meat, you have to throw like 3 pieces for it to work.

well, damn, I was getting excited. that does seem kinda impractical, because I seem to find raw meat rather rarely.

Doorskicker I the only that get close to that user

ftfy

Generally, one says 'ftfy' when they have fixed something.
There was nothing wrong in my post.

You can be a pre-historic cave dwelling savage in UrW.

oh wtf I meant to start a new thread, I'm such a dumb cuck

I never asked for this

He had to throw away the tolkein branding cause he got hit with a dmca. However I think tome is really fun, I do hates it graphic tiles, but I play it in ASCII, and I have a lot of fun doing it. The interface is easy to get down, and once you manage to push through the start theres an awful lot to do and charcters/ quests play very diffrently.

To me TOME is a game you can pour a lot of time into.
make sure to torrent the expansion packs after that all you gotta do is use the launcher to stay updated and have it all

First of all get reading a nethack wiki and get to learning some of the basic meta that you're going to need. The first thing you're going to need to learn are some item interactions, these will save you over and over. You have to know how to make items do what you want.

The next thing that you're going to need to learn is how to write the big e. If you don't what I'm talking about? This is exactly why you need to read the wiki. Unnethack isn't a game that has an endless array of new content, the basic rules of nethack from the wiki will still apply. There are only some changes to make the thing more random.

Which also makes it more fun. You also need to make sure to not try and fall into the hero trap, avoiding instead of taking everything on is an essential part of playing roguelikes.

If you have any specific questions I can help user and I will check back here and see if you post any.

Post that one Dwarf Fortress screenshot where that dorf rapes someone by ripping their clothes off

UrW takes place in the Iron age, millenia after the stone age.

Fingolia was still pre-historic during it's iron age.

Yes, but pre-history does not equate to cavemen or savages. There was simply no writing with which to record history.

But you can be a cave dwelling savage using stone age tools in UrW even though the civilized folk have their little villages and metalworking.

That is true, you can effectively roleplay a caveman in the game, but it's incorrect to say that Unreal World is about cavemen. There are certianly more sophisticated technologies to aspire to if the player wishes.

You are right. I was recommending UrW half jokingly, even though making all my equipment from scratch is my favorite way of playing the game, which ends up mostly as throwing sharp sticks at animals.

It's probably the best recommendation, I can't name a better wilderness survival game. I was only being picky about words.
I'll never forget the horror of accidently burning down my hut while trying to escape the cold of the Finnish winter.

This is why you should live in a cave.

What's wrong with elitism? Keeping the community pure of outsiders is good.

Yeah, considering the rate at it rots away. Waste of holy water.

Are they going to release a stable version any time soon?

Elitism keeps the undesirables out.
Didnt help against your unwarranted sense of self-worth, sadly, but accidents happen.

Good one.
Just get the gamelauncher like the rest of the goyim.

I really don't want to be a play tester of half finished features.

By half finished I mean in the sense that they don't even have any idea what the feature is supposed to be in the end, like clothing becoming dirty.

Never talked to that faggot again, what is wrong with people thinking every remotely hard game is a roguelike, akin to DaS and "souls-like"? RoR is a fucking platformer you casual nigger

He was just trying to be friendly.

has anyone here played IVAN?

What a surprise. Did you expect him to know the nomanclature?
Besides, RoR IS a good game.

Good job, you had the chance to turn a normalfag retard into a respectable, knowledgeable human being. And you fucked it up.

Honestly, when people one chance to learn the difference between a roguelike and an indie muh hard gamelike and if they try to throw it back in my face and argue that BoI is totally a roguelike I just tell them to fuck off and stop bothering. I've done that song and dance too many times and I'm fed up with it.

Anyway, I've been playing ToME since I saw it in the thread and I'm somewhat confused. Did I just get super lucky or is this game as easy as it seems? Right now I'm around level 10 just obliterating monsters with a tree trunk, and the only time I've been any danger whatsoever is when enemy casters show up.

deaths can come out of LITERALLY no where, that's part of what makes the game so fun

Nethack has been back in active development for awhile now son, where have you been?

Difficulty curve is relatively slow it seems, and casters, which appear with greater frequency as the game progresses, seem to be the only real threat to my Bulwark character.

Depends on class but its easy-easy-easy-impossible for you- easy-easy. Usually ceiling as 20 lvl. And some places are instant death.

So the difficulty curve is basically a straight line with a single point that just says "You died"? Sounds kind of lame.

Pretty much. And you cant use tools and scrolls to prepare for something like this, only your class skills. And progression is mostly linear with breakpoints. And you die at breakpoints without being able to grind few levels and shit.

PS. I remember onee build where slimes could get "rare" upgrade. and you have to fight army of rare monsters which multiply all the time.

yeah it pisses me off that they try to get money

The way they do it, the "donations" are basically microtransactions for "premium content" even if you buy the game.

This is the EXACT same shit we would crucify mainstream games for.

I played it. For some reason it was more appealing to me then other roguelikes. I usually play CLIVAN variant, which has most content. I think its little bit easier then original because there are more areas to explore, more shops too.
You got pretty far in that screenshot. Did you manage to beat Enner beast yet?

as far as I can tell, buying the game is considered a donation. Since it unlocks features (like cosmetics and birth options) that are supposed to be donator only.

They have few dlc + donator classes.

You and your 3,000 achievements are not welcome here.

which classes?

Stone (or something) warden I think.

I have stone warden unlocked. I'm pretty sure it was unlocked when I bought the game, but I have that ignore class restriction mod. At any rate, it seems easy to get around if it's locked to donators but like I said, I think buying the game on steam is considered a donation.

Duh.
It is, but dlc is for paying customers only.

I'm almost positive it was one of the first classes unlocked, because I remember it being one of my first characters.

Stone Warden.
I always saw them as a jokey or gimmick class, because they're the "combine arcane and nature abilities" and "dual-wield shields" class.
I've personally never played them even though I donated.

Yes, donating is the same as buying the game. Buying the game gets you the same bonus junk as donating.
You also get the steam version free if you donated already.

I last played qud when it was released on EA and it was great, I recommend it. Here's the character I cleared what was implemented of the main story at the time.

The DLC ruined the balance anyways.
That one class that uses saws will instantly destroy whatever melee build you use no matter what.
Couple that with uniques and you get creatures that can do 50% max health, put a debuff n you that reduces damage by 80%, burn you, and slow you, all in a few turns.
dont forget the speed bonus.

That class is dlcexclusive and you cant play it in regular champing/regular classes in his champing.

Yes but Uniques can generate with it even in the bad campaign.

Oof. Meant to say main.
Maybe I should go to sleep.

May be you should play some df?

Computer is potato, can't get very far without it going to like 5-10 fps.

This sword seems ridiculously overpowered. I've found a lot of Tier 5 unrands, but this… It would be strong enough without the Winter Storm OR Precipitate effects, just the +25 damage, +20% cold, +25% cold resists (thats a lot for a weapon), and +35% ice block penetration.

The storm is fuckhuge, does more damage than the sword, and freezes everything. Of course the necklace adding even more penetration and chance to freeze only serves to make things even more broken. I didn't use the Precipitate ability often, but it's very good at blocking out ranged attacks (locks both you and everything around you in ice walls, you can only target/be targeted by adjacent squares and cannot move unless your move target has no ice block).

The base damage is a little bit low for a Tier 5, but not extremely so and scaling makes it irrelevant in the end.

Anons, are real-time action-y games capable of being rogue-likes? I'm really enjoying Streets of Rogue, it's rather replayable despite being pre-early access.

I hate buzzword marketing

It's definitely not a brawler as beyond item and weapon usage it's limited by just punching shit, but it definitely has stealth aspects - you can play stealthily, and get rewarded with extra XP for doing it stealthily or killing nobody, and some characters even rely on it, say Messiah-inspired Shapeshifter is a fucking naked midget so if cops see you they beat the shit out of you, and thieves wear those conspicuous cartoony thief clothes so business owners won't trust them and they must sneak in instead.

Also you can just make everyone inside the building breathe cyanide gas.

The name itself gave me cancer.

I played half the game with this damn sword and I never even noticed that it's even MORE OP than I thought it was. It also has an exceptionally high crit chance, which goes nicely with my +50% crit damage gloves, not that it matters when I use Assault though.

I prefer my OC way more

How can people know what is going on with all those wacky sprites?

How am I supposed to care what other cancerous tilesets people are using?

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Welp thats enough for me.

but user, the last 5 aren't roguelikes. Though crypt is the closest but it looks too fast-paced, and pixel dungeon's movement system is shitty but still qualifies as a RL

1/10 apply yourself

wew

confirmed for never having played the pit

confirmed for watching casualfags letsplayers on jewtube and following trends

I've heard newer DC:SS versions have gone shit

Which version is the best?

Maybe all below the arrowhead isn't roguelike enough?

What are some good Rouge or Rouge-likes that are avalible on andriod?

Why are the saws so OP anyway? I just played through the DLC campaign in an afternoon with that shit. It's a fucking bump MONSTER. No skills needed, just toggle on the sustains and everything drops in like 1 hit.

The saws don't do very much on paper, they are worse than regular 1handed weapons and a TON of enemies are immune to bleed. The sustains are pretty good but one is a DOT and im not even sure the other does damage to your primary target.

Oh, and I never had any problem with Steamsaw enemies. They exist, but other than the threat of Disarm they weren't any challenge for my Bulwark, I don't think they gave my Mindslayer any issue either.

How the fuck do you even play that game? I tried playing it like 2 years ago, and I ended up just running straight in one direction for like an hour real time and came across LITERALLY NOTHING. No people, no animals, no nothing. Just a lot of nothing.

They're below the arrow, though. Although DF really and Cata really shouldn't be above DCSS…

Are you playing on a tablet with a keyboard? You're not really going to be playing any kind of roguelike without a keyboard. I've found DCSS works wonderfully if you do have one with a keyboard, though. I played that shit for a good 30 hours during a nonstop road trip a few months back. Saved me from wanting to kill myself.

There are some seriously retarded decisions in the latest releases, but there are also a group of devs (some of whom are from cuckchan's /rlg/) trying to add things into the game and reverse some of the retardation. The main dev Pleasingfungus is peak nu-male, so it's pretty rough going.

Some stuff being considered for addition into trunk:

Jesus christ look at this guy go.

Of course he is, why else would he add homosexual and asexual dwarves and animals.

Deterioation of the mind tends to occur in isolated situations like his. This guy sits has been sitting in his house working on the same thing alone for like a fucking decade now. His only friend is Pepe.

What's with the absolute shite graphics, c'mon it's 2016! not 1976!

Is there an easy way to fix that in the raws?

b-b-b-bu-b-but i-i-it b-b-but it's a s-stylistic choice! SHUT UP!!

I would also like to know if there's a way to fix this.

Should be the ORIENTATION token in the creature definitions.
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Creature_token#ORIENTATION

Is there any reason at all to use a ranged weapon other than the pneumatic bolt driver besides weight?

How do I stop dying in ivan? I grab my first weapon and stick with the same catagory for skill, I put potions inside of cans, I also grab anything +1 and over to sell for mad shekels, but I still get killed by retarded RNG like a goblin wrecking my shit in one turn with a mithril spear, or kamekaze dwarfs blowing my shit up from outside of my vision radius

I want to git gud but I don't know how, other than wishing for like 20 carrots or something

You don't.
IVAN fucks you.

Either you do it alone or it's never gonna happen.
Even if you find the few people here that could actually be of any use, they'd probably not need you.

This is one of the best looking ascii roguelikes I've seen.

1 word: Endurance

t. High priest winner

Needless to say, it was a fun run

I personally use 0.15 and 0.16 interchangeably. It was a dick move for them to remove Singularity in 0.17 while not really adding anything worthwhile. IIRC, they also removed equipment that let you use Flight, Invisibility, etc.

This is what happens when you listen to the speed running community.

I've never understood why they do this

What? What kind of pussy speedrunner gets things removed that would actually add strategies to speedruns?

It's removed because it's stuff that gets in the way of speedruns somehow.

I don't know how to explain it. They want to make the game more "efficient" or something.

This is legitmently the first time I've heard of a runner wanting aspects that make a game more complex actively removed.

this fucking game i swear to god

Don' t mess with limbs until you first get high-tier armor to protect you from the increased danger level they bring.
Don't use shields either, duel wield instead.

The good thing about dcss is android version which gets improvements. Almost playable on touchscreen.

Rising endurance past 45-54 hitpoints at the start of a game is a bad idea. High endurance results in stronger monsters spawning. You should not meet kamikaze dwarves until dark cave level 3-4. By this time you must have ring or cloak of fire resistance and at least 45-54 hitpoint which should be enough to survive kamikaze dwarf or mine explosions.

Remember to put all your wands and scrolls in a box. You cannot survive chain explosions when your wands of fireballs break regardless of your fire resistance. You can put out fire by dipping clothes in potion or by breaking potions over yourself, throwing them at adjacent wall.

Do not pray for god metal limbs if you want to win. They cant hit for shit due to low agility and dexterity and no armour can save you from monsters your new danger level brings. Use city healers to summon new limbs or reattach old ones.

By the time you reach dark cave you should have troll hide armour or bronze chainmail, all other armour preferably iron and ring or cloak of fire resistance. If you don't have at least this much might as well restart. Remember to watch enemies carefully and kill shit like kobolds with mithril spears with wands and traps, not in close combat. When you sense danger run away if you can.

The Pit is literally "i starved because of bad RNG" the game>>10918303

I downloaded DC:SS to play on my tablet since I got one of those cases with keyboards in them. I couldn't imagine playing it with a touch screen unless they really improved the interface.

So what the fuck are the stances for monks? Am I stuck with this shitty one forever or do I get other stances? So far ignoring the Genbu stance entirely is way better for me, since it halves my attacks per round.

The more you know

Distinguishing between sheep and non-sheep enemies isn't the sort of mechanic that should be in DCSS. It requires arbitrary knowledge, is unintuitive and affects speedrun consistency. It should be removed.

I wonder if they would go mad if they had to trade places with a Nethack speedrunner.

Since this is as close as a dorf fort thread as possible now, I'm going to ask what kind of advanced peramaters should I gen a new world from?

Right, I keep forgetting about brogue.

bay12games.com/lcs/

Imma have to try cdda again, I used to love it although my standard play was just to loot like crazy in a town and burn down every building when leaving.

Also vehicles, if you can find a working one and a screwdriver you can clear out a town fast

Another good thing about cdda is that there's nothing stopping you from playing an old version (might have to compile it) if that's what you want.

So should I stop playing my 3 year old build soon?

Any of you niggers play vagante?

Nope.

I'm quite new to Nethack. I used to not care about pets because getting them to follow you is pretty annoying, I read about them a little and gave them a chance. Holy shit they're powerful, this fucking cat is one shotting everything. I wasn't expecting that

Im really looking forward to ultima ratio regum. Looks amazing and the details go to such autistic lenghts that we might have another DF but aimed at adventuremode instead of building instead.

Excuse my ignorance, why did no one mention Stone Soup? Does it not meet roguelike standards or something?

No. Everything about your description is the COMPLETE opposite of a roguelike.

It's in a state of disgrace. Anything past 0.9 has been increasingly castrated by the devs' obsession with randomly removing things according to a strange and constantly changing design philosophy, particularly pandering toward a bizarre speedrunning subcommunity: >>10924005

The only hope is an active fork, but nobody's done one, aside from an ancient custom build of 0.14 that adds back all the stuff stripped out: github.com/tmhedberg/dcss-ehe

Well where can I get 0.9 or something?

All the old versions are still available from the project's main download page, though the binaries might have problems on newer systems depending on your OS, so you may need to recompile. Also, keep in mind that while old versions have features missing from new ones, new versions have features that didn't exist before (some of which have also been removed, lel):
crawl.develz.org/release/

Fuckin neato, I'm gonna try 0.5 and 0.9! And that custom build you posted. Great job!

How do I git gud with dcss? The furthest I can get is to lair, but more often than not I get shit on by a few floors prior by the worst case scenario monster around the corner.

Train weapon skill until minimum attack delay or spell schools until your cast rate is 99%. Then train Fighting/Spellcasting, then Armour/Dodge/Shield, then Traps. Use light armour/shields at first and heavier stuff as your skills get higher. Don't wade into too much shit, avoid things you can't fight. Use god powers liberally. That's the entire game. There's nothing else to it.

I'm fucking pissed.

cdda
why is there only two floors in tutorial, and nothing to do after grabbing items, killing zombies and lighting everything on fire?

Because no one cares about it.

how do i delve into the autism world of dorf fort

Where's Elona on that list?

Because developers are a bunch of SJW furfags who are more concerned with putting fursuits and "mutations" in the game rather than engine improvements and actual gameplay.

Roguelike Teirs:

Rogue.

Nethack, Angband, ToME, Brogue

IVAN, Cataclysm, DoomRL, Qud, Elona

Dredmor, Dorf Fortress (placed here because of genre)

Spelunky, most 'Rogue-lights' (like FTL)

Randomly generated levels, loot, and permadeath.

Crypt actually has a beat-less mode, and in that it feels very similar to DoomRL. Worth a pirate.

It's really super simple. Look up the tutorial on the wiki and follow it. Once you have a stable food/drink industry and have housing for all your dwarves, that's when you need to look into projects and the like, because at that point it becomes an automated ant farm.

Personally, I've never made it to the point of having a literal king in my fort, so that's a constant goal for me, but you might want to start a war or some shit.

I think the only deviation for Dredmor is animation. While it's one of the most basic roguelikes out there, every mechanic qualifies.

DF adventure mode is at least as much a roguelike as Elona, if not ToME.

Yessssss

Also is autopickup not working for anyone else?

The fursuits (Spawn factor is really low at least and it fills the niche of full-bodied low-tier cloth suit) and more mutations are fine, the adding of 100 different kinds of 'do X for Y cost' is what's ruining the game. There is too much item bloat in the game and it becomes tedious as all hell to sort through 50 different kinds of the same item. (Especially when there can be hundreds of items on the ground on a bad day within your 20x20 auto-list area.)

In IVAN, the first time I get through the first dungeon was one particularly mediocre run where I had nothing but an axe, a steel mail, which was basically my best loot and a copper helmet and two broken iron boots. I got pass the boss by fucking praying to a nuetral goddess, who then caused a fucking earthquake that killed the boss.

In my best run where I gained meteoric metal full plate, meteoric metal spear and an arconite full helm, I killed myself by attempting to zap the boss's monster room with a lightning wand.

wew

Basic industry is fine. The real challenge in DF is anything military. Although the last time I played you had to actually look for a hostile tile otherwise there wasn't anything to force you to develop one.

IVAN is my favorite roguelike, and I've also played LIVAN and CLIVAN, which I enjoyed but crashed on me a lot. I have two questions:

How can I make those not crash?

and

Are there any other roguelikes that share IVAN's sense of humor and simplicity/graphical fidelity? This sub-genre of vidya is of my top interest, but I feel like I don't know where to branch out.

Unfortunately, I don't think any other roguelikes do this for power gaming.

I like FTL.

Recommend me a game of me liking FTL please.

Elona has a similar sort of demented humor (allowing for the variation between Finnish and Japanese culture), good graphics, and a nice GUI interface it's built around. On the downside, the game can get kind of byzantine in the later stages.

I actually tried Elona, but I found it very difficult to get started, mainly because the beginner guide I was using seemed to be describing a totally different game from the one I was playing. I don't know if the game changed significantly after an update or if I was playing an older version, but even the tutorial in-game felt bizarrely disconnected to me.

Tome is so far removed from rogue that It should be on Dredmor's level. I have no clue why it's recommended as a pure rougelike.

opinion discarded

There's no hunger mechanics, item use is shallow and you don't have to manage a finite amount of resources, nor are there any cursed items to deal with. All that shit is really important to the genre.

IRL

why you do tis? :(

All it really has in common with FTL is the Oregon Trail-style forced progression, but The Banner Saga is pretty neat.

There is tome which is angband variant and tome4 which is tome "new" version.

The one is Tales of Middle Earth, the other Tales of Maj'Eyal.

That's because the English translation is rather incomplete, one of the results of which was that the translators stripped out most of the main story, its quests, and much of the dialog related to it. Also, the Elona+ fan mod hasn't been translated at all.

elona.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Story
elona.wikia.com/wiki/Elona+_Japanese/English_Translation

anything that pisses people off is acceptable

The funny thing is that Dredmor is actually a pretty pure roguelike, fancy graphics aside. It's kind of bare-bones by comparison, missing some shit like hunger, I wouldn't really call it good but pure definitely.

ToME's biggest departure is the semi-static levels and worldmap. It loses a LOT of the replayability of the classic roguelike that way, which is why it defaults to a multi-life mode.

for fucks sake the stat that causes your team members to defect and question their own beliefs is called wisdom.

what
this is metal as fuck

user?

Are you at least libertarian? ;_;