Older Games That Still Look Good

ITT: Post screenshots of 5+ year-old games that still feel pleasant to look at

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rAqGy7SqKO0
youtube.com/watch?v=a4DXvcDFDhA
gamershell.com/pc/rise_of_nations_rise_of_legends/screenshots.html
simonschreibt.de/gat/homeworld-2-backgrounds/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Didn't HL2 get several graphical updates since its initial release?

Didn't the Orange Box version add a whole bunch if shader effects?

Orange Box didn't add much of anything except HDR. It also broke most of the lightmaps. Not sure if they've been fixed since.
There's also Half-Life 2 Update or whatever it was called, but it's a separate mod.

Not in last 5 years AFAIK

5 years isn't that old user, even PS3 is something like 10 years old

Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars

If you could remove the draw distance from the first soul reaver it would look better than a lot of modern shit

Pretty much any game that uses good spritework.
It's a timeless aesthetic, even though modern attempts to emulate it usually end up looking and feeling lazy and underwhelming.

That's because a lot of modern devs think that you make sprites in MS Paint. Even though spritework done in the 80s up until the indie pixelshit era was hand drawn first. Then adapted to sprites through use of grided paper or later on was traced over in digital painting programs.

Well there are multiple reasons why.
I'm just saying that spritework as a whole can be great regardless of how new or old it is.

The first two Max Payne games still look great.

HL2 didn't even look impressive at release. Graphicfags were still tweaking Doom 3.

I'd buy a PS4 for Pacific Rift 2, or the cancelled 4th one on a different planet

I'm gonna read that as post your old screenshots, so here I go posting some random ones.

I wish EA left Visceral do their own version of DS3…

game still looks gr8 in motion

Crysis obligatory.

Twilight Princess is 6 years old

Excuse me, it's 10 years old now
I forgot that it's 2016 and not 2012

Is Dead Space 2 worth playing?

It's pretty fun, if you liked the first game you'll like 2

We all do it.

its a departure from DS1, but its still a fun and interesting game

k

I feel 3D graphics reached their "good enough" point with HL2, RE4, and MGS3. Those games, and most games after that point will always look good, even when they start to show their age. Just like 16-bit 2D still looks good.

Half Life 2 always looked like shit

Eastern Mind is not a very good-looking game by any means. It just has a unique aesthetic.

I don't know if that counts by OP's definition but it was never a game that looked 'good'.

2 and 3 are great games. Dont listen to these contrarian hipsters, they will meme you into "playing" only visual novels.

trolling hardcore

2 is like Dead Space 1 with more visual variety in the maps
3 is fucking CoD

How do you unlock cars in this game?

what a clever and original opinion, its not like you are reading directly from the bandwagon society bible like all hipster that dont play shit.

Are you trying to remind me that since they shut down the servers you can't get all the trophies meaning that I will never unlock the 12 last vehicles

I think that's an interesting point. 2D and 3D will always have those first few games that looked ugly, but it's not like there's going to be a leap to "4D games" so maybe there will never be another wave of bad graphics in the future. Just smooth hd sailing.

wasn't meaning to bring up bad memories

actually want to buy this game, should I?

Maximum Graphics

so i would only be missing out on 12 vehicles?

Recently played this again and it looks like ass 90% of the time.

I have a soft spot for that era of 3D graphics, but I don't think you can really say that game looks good.

CoD Space 3 was garbage, 2 was close enough to the original where it didn't feel like a soul-less cash grab.

oy vey!!! it's anudduh shoah!!!

Jew creature you are my greatest ally

Should I buy this game even tho the multiplayer online is no longer

I really liked how games looked in the 2000-2004 years of video games.

idk fam are the creators of it filthy goyim? if not you better pay those shekels to the chosen people

Albeit you'll need a special monitor and exponentially more GPU power, but unlike the jump from 2D to 3D, there won't be a need for radically new assets, so you're probably right about the wave of bad graphics.

Don't mind me I'm just being a jaded motherfucker

that said
this one in particular I want to really master should I ever be truly great enough to make my own vidya or comics

I'd say go for it. I really loved it when I was 15 when it just got out. I can't tell if you will like it. It's like, arcady but exigeant racing with a lot of difficulty toward the end. Also the missing vehicles isn't that much of a deal because it's basically a skin.

those areas doesn't look like that anymore
mulgore is filled with water and the barrens is fucking green AND it got a visual upgrade some years ago

You dumb bug how do you not know more about this

aren't you god's chosen people?

youtube.com/watch?v=rAqGy7SqKO0

i had no visual mods on in the pic

F.E.A.R. looks great even without considering the fact that it's 11 years old.

feeling it
bf2, gw1 and ut2k4 were aesthetic

I remember everyone talking about that when I was in 5th grade. We'd challenge each other to see how long we could last watching.

where did you get the sheath mod???

by visual mods i mean scenery/lighting, you fuck

obligatory

yes i know im asking WHERE you downloaded the sheath mod i can't find it and want it bb

5+ years is way too generous. Bastion is 5 years old.

I've seen both of these gifs a lot of times and they still depress me just as much as the first time. F.E.A.R. also had stuff like reflective puddles that you could look into to see Point Man's character model, while some modern games can't get any kind of mirror to work at all.

It's because they don't need to show the mirrors during trailers and e3 demos, and because of preorder culture there is no reason to put effort into anything that isn't easily marketed.

I can understand dynamic light sources being hard. Buy why self environmental shadows? What's so hard about giving treating the player's model exactly the same as every other NPC that casts shadows on the environment?

You can pretty much go through almost every 2D SNK game and they all look better than 95 percent of 2D stuff released today.

Yeah, I know. It's a shame, but I understand why it happens.

The mention of mirror technology reminded me of The Darkness, which fits the bill for this thread. It both looks good and has some other cool stuff like, apart from mirrors, being able to see the entirety of your body whenever you looked down rather than just your legs. I think that was because it was designed to be from a 3rd person perspective originally but they ended up sticking the camera inside Jackie's head instead.

While not a great looking game by today's standards, I want to also give an honourable mention to the first Resistance, which has the best looking glass and glass breaking technology I've ever seen in a game.

Damn straight, even without ENB. It's also comfy to listen to all the humor and writing since it allows itself to be funny. (Bush was still president so political jokes weren't verboten)

You mean Modern Warfare 2, right? It has such good glass. It has really good glass. So proud of the glass.

Obligatory 1999 game :^)

What game is that?

Freespace 2

i haven't grabbed any screenshots yet, but i've been playing battlefield 2142 since the revival and in 1920x1080 widescreen with everything maxed it actually looks unbelievably good for a ten year old game. check it out

I like GTAIV for it's gloomy look. Now it looks like the God damned Queer Flag.

also, if you like space games and haven't played freespace 1 or 2 yet you're genuinely retarded. they're widely regarded as some of the best if not THE best space combat games of all time personally I think TIE Fighter is the best but Freespace is fucking fantastic

It's been objectively proven this diminishes the quality of the game.

What's wrong with seeing my own games?

Try more, they have barely changed since then.
But yeah, FEAR 1 for me too. Shit blew me away back in the day, moreso than Crysis did later.

I've never actually played a space game, the only games I really play are japanese action games and shooters but that webm looked cool.

wew

also, you clearly meant to write "You can see your own legs" and went on to say that this is a bad thing, but what in the world is wrong with this? Why would being able to see your legs make the game worse in any way, let alone an "objectively proven"

I fucking hate retarded faggots on Holla Forums that misuse objectively as bad as normalfags have come to misuse literally. I get that words are defined as they are used, but you retards are ruining words that have no equivalents just because you want to exaggerate what you're claiming.

Uh no you fucking autistic retard.

He said post screenshots of games that are OLD and still look GOOD.

Only fucking one of those games actually look good, and that's stalker.

Is English not your first language? Or do you hail from a third world shithole? Do you need daddy to make some milk in your mouth?

I like tf2s artstyle a lot, the hats kind of fuck it up a bit but the charcters really do have a good look, the enviroments are the right shades.

Tf2s artstyle always impressed, and still does on vanilla.

Yeah I've been playing Project Reality lately and BF2 really holds up well. Didn't take any screenshots of the best looking maps, but I really like the vegetation and other than some texture resolutions it's pretty damn fine.

Hats indeed ruined TF2.

Before hats, I thought it looked pretty nice, had some nice textures like on 2fort for example, nowadays can't look at TF2 the same with all the third worlders, faggots, furries, spergs, CWC jrs running about.

project reality does a lot of little things right, but the best might be the persistent smoke from destroyed vehicles. it feels so incredible and immersive to get pushed out of a hot zone, lose a lot of important assets there, and fight your way back an hour later while you can still see huge columns of smoke from your smoldering IFVs and whatnot

SH 2 and 3 held up.

The graphics have managed to stand the test of time ever since the game was released

Retards who think it breaks immersion or get spooked by their own shadow. A lot of this shit is easier to implement than back in F.E.A.R.'s day, we're just stuck with developers with retarded design philosophies and shit taste in art direction.

Easy.

Do non-3D games count? It almost feels like cheating to include something from Commandos or King of Fighters because those don't really age.

I guess. Since OP only said games that look good, and not games with advanced graphics, which is why I posted REmake, and almost one Wind Waker screenshot until I realized I had modded textures in it.

user, of course
Also take a look at Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive

Are you trying to get me to play FEAR again?
I miss it, wish there was expanded content for it

I don't think it's cheating to include games that made smart style choices based off of the limitations of hardware at the time.

This game will always be remembered as that one game I played because the demo came with the cereal box.

You're in my way, Sir

youtube.com/watch?v=a4DXvcDFDhA

That floor looks sticky and grimy.

I wonder if you could taste all of the little crumbs and bits of stuff from the floor outside on the floor. I can imagine all the little gritty things getting in my teeth and feeling weird.

I want to rub my hands on the floor too.

Whops, I posted Last Light, my bad.

age limit

you

Is your fetish tiles by any chance?

Oooh tile fetish, something I can always get behind

Nonsense, tile user wouldn't dream of cheating on his tiles with a dirty old wooden floor.

Choppers flying close to the ground in the desert also looks pretty nice.

Wooden floors confirmed prostitute-tier. But what about well polished high quality ones?

An expensive prostitute is still a prostitute

Honestly, I can understand tile user's pain of having something like that, It's like how people get embarrassed to tell anyone the sort of fucked up fetishes they have. so I can understand where he's coming from, and his pain.

I honestly just really have loved spotty, grimy looking floors. I don't really know why, and It's not even sexually either. I just want to lie on them and lick them. I almost did it while a friend was over back when I was 14 and the look of 'I shouldn't be here' on his face when he saw his friend bent down against the floor was almost palpable.

I don't really feel any attraction to anything other than wooden floors either. Concrete grime looks fucking disgusting, and wooden floors are just what does it for me. So I can only really talk freely about it on an imageboard where I have anonymity. That friend I had didn't talk to me for about a week or two before I finally broke the ice and lied and said 'I was trying to work out a cramp'

Having deplorable 'fetishes' is sometimes really hard on you, since you start berating yourself for it. just how I feel about it though.

MGS2 still takes my breath away. Don't even get me started on all the little environmental details you can mess with in game, shit you'd think developers would in corporate and expand upon, but nope, normalfags are too fucking stupid to appreciate the finer things.

Not even if the price is rice?

Don't worry user, we all have our fetishes. As long as you don't try to spread/spam them like furfags do we can be the best of friends

Rice can be quite expensive depending on where you live

Kill yourself

no its not CoD you fucking tard

no 3 is not a great game you fucking tard.

How does it taste?
Do you enjoy it?

personally I think it's just fine to humor yourself about your own fetish sometimes though, It helps to cope a bit. I'm not sure if it'll make the be-ration of yourself worse though.

Wood floors a shit, they're noisy

Does this do anything? Or does it have to be noticeably grimy?

I don't understand this one, since you seem willing to talk, what is it that attracts you so much.

That's all up to you user. Don't beat yourself too much on these things, if you want it gone you can seek psychological help, if you don't mind, then it'll be alright as long as you keep it to yourself. That's how most fetishes go anyway

They really went above and beyond with every detail in this game. They got actual trained teams to come in and give input to how guards would search when the character got spotted and went away to hide. Looking at the seagulls will cause seagull poop to splat on the camera. Not only can you kill the seagulls, but the game comments on it when you do it a lot. If you do a bunch of pull-ups your stamina increases and you can hang off the ledges for a little longer, and so on.

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory also holds up really well, the lightning and shadow effects were great, you could almost forget that the game is more than ten years old.

mate, i wouldn't be surprised if it was some pedo shit since we've all been indoctrinated against it but come on; seems like a shitty fucking friend.

Deus ex 1 looked like shit at release. Still does.

Not to mention being able to shoot out walkie talkies to prevent guards from calling back up, shooting out lights which seemed superfluous until you realized it gave advantage when fighting Vamp, the entirety of the Tanker, etc.

Speaking of shooting out lights, why don't more games do this? Is that fucking hard to program destructible lights and have it impact the gameplay and enemy AI? This shit should be a fucking standard, not a little feature that only old stealth games had.

So we're just postin SC screenshots now?

You're gonna take those and love them like only a mother could.

World in Conflict, one of my first and favourite RTS/RTT games. Shame it'll never get a sequel.

Sam's model clearly got more attention, even when compared to plot critical characters.

Really goes to show how style can really make a game look timeless.

DOW SS maps looked good tbh.
DC campaign wasnt bad either.

Panzer Dragoon Orta was fucking gorgeous.

Fuck you Sega for not porting it.

Dead or alive 3 and ultimate on the og xbox still look good.

Daewoo Sex looked great for it's time, and still looks great today (though part of that is that it uses some slightly more modern shading tricks in the steam version).
I have a fetish for sharp, quality textures, be they low-rez/on shit models or not.
Thief 2 also still looks great (on most levels) due to use of sharp textures, baked-in shading, and it always being fucking night.

DX did not look great, it just utilized its assets well to craft large detailed levels. The characters models always looked laughable.

Yeah the characters are pretty much lego characters with awful animations, but the scenery, levels, and lighting design really resonates with me and I still get immersed to fuck in it really fast.
Like I said, I have a "sharp texture+bad model" fetish, mostly thanks to 7th gen consoles forcing fucking terrible blurry textures in every goddamn game for over a decade.

I really should get back into PR but first I have to get around those bans I've worked up.

Were those IP bans or Account bound?

thank you for the information

i'll go check it out

Thousand Needles was flooded, you mean.

Barrens was touched up about 5 years ago.

Fear 2, i dont have any ingame screens on hand right now, but god dam that game has some sweet high res textures.

the donkey kong country games still hold up due to being pre rendered 3d sprites.

This in 4k 144mhz pumped up to the max in the game and the control panel.

rage is now 5 years old. It had had 'mega' textures which was why the file size was so massive for the time.

morrowind doesn't exactly look great without mods but the water still looks good.

Mega textures are great for unique textures, not so much for up close details.

Still looks great today and still has mod support

Xbox version of SH2 still looks good as well. Basically runs like the PC version.

Don't forget the snow particles.

How?

i get that a bigger number is interesting but it's not always better

But I asked what was better with the 'Xbox' version which he claimed was basically like the PC version.

Graphics were getting pretty good ever since 2007.

Thats nice

IP. I've tried different accounts and I would reset my router and change the IP but I live with other people and they're all connected up to the same router.

O-okay?

Did you manage to get banned from all the populated servers?

I had forgotten how good this game looks.

You remind me of the user with a backpack fetish

One thing's for sure… Goldeneye aged like shit.

if gamedev budgets are increasing faster than ever, than why not just stop chasing for diminishing returns, and refine the other aspects (esp. animation, lipsync, entire games as a whole)?

The framerate aged a shitload worse.

You are missing out.

BEHIND YOU PILOT

I have no idea what's the name of that game ?

almost 15 years later

The WipEout games have outstanding visuals.

The Sabouter still looks good,supposly the main map bug has supposly been fixed in the GOG release. Also to add more onto the list SWAT4, Quantum of Solace,James Cameron's Avatar The Game, POSTAL 2 and Bully. This also very likely won't count but Mass Effect 1 with the graphics mod makes it look way younger and like it was released a few years ago.

It's a shame that The Darkness never got a PC release. Emulation of previous consoles will take at least another couple of years to get half decent (at least for the emulators that don't use/require DX12) and I can't really justify buying a console for only one game.

I thought that it was nearly impossible to find monitors like that, what is the model number? Mine is AOC Q2770P (2560x1440, 75mhz) which AMD SVR boosts to 3800x1800 which is a noticable difference in graphics quality.

Screenies from vanilla Morrowind can look very nice if you get them from the right angle with the right lighting. Just like my penis

Ghost Recon and Splinter Cell.

everything looks better running at 144hz

Just follow the chain of posts user.

it got shitty particle effects that drop your frame rate from 300 to 30 if you look at them (smoke and fire especially) when using an older card that could run this game maxed out back in the day.

There is no HDR, in most of the maps. It's funny because the half life fans back in the day only begged valve to recompile the maps in HDR. But instead they got a update that broke the game and only 2 maps were done with HDR. The greatest thing about this is that the console versions are superior because they have full working HDR and PC dosen't. Guess it's a clear indication of the direction of Valve.

This is correct. The main strengths of HL2 were the architecture, the details in the world and the physics. Not raw graphical power.

straight garbage. it started out good as simply a higher version of the original textures, something that makes logical sense. Then "creativity" took over. The 20 versions of slut alyx with botox lips is still funny.

I can see you're using the OB version of the game. the wooden floor reflection is incorrect and HL2 was never designed with detail textures in mind. No, that 90s tech was ditched in favour of bump mapping.

Use the older version of the game if you want to make screen shots please.

These anons get it. I don't care about ultra-realistic graphics or perfect human models. Give me something stylized. Stop trying to imitate reality and make something vivid and unique.

I love almost everything about that game, but about 3/4 of the way through, this really weird glitch happened to me that made it so that whenever I tried to hack anything, it wouldn't allow me to click on the numbers that pop up. I wouldn't have been able to finish the game if the devs didn't allow you to blow up the computer in the underwater base instead of hacking it.

Half-Life 2 looked better in the demos than the final release.

me neither, good 8 bit or even better 16 is always better than realistic

I would post my screenshots of Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends, but I don't have the game nor the screenshots anymore. Have something from the Internet instead:
gamershell.com/pc/rise_of_nations_rise_of_legends/screenshots.html

Your post was the only one where they don't look good.

It's Halloween month. It's time to play F.E.A.R. again.

facial animations would still look good today.

3 is shit m8

I'm playing Doom 3 for the first time and can someone explain to me why I'm being impressed by its shadows and lighting 12 fucking years after it was released?

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Because when you look down in-game and see somebody else's legs you get taken out of the experience. Or something like that. I still don't know whether the people who made this statement were being sarcastic.

It's the crummiest looking game engine from that time.

Looks good, yes, but the AI is atrocious.

Halo 3 still looks pretty good despite coming out 9 years ago.

That looks horrible

what is this madness?

DOW Soulstorm Multiplayer

I don't know about it being sexual, but a bit of grot and grime can be really cosy
/r/ing that picture of the Russian (I think) couple eating grapes in a bathtub

Feudal age buildsets look the comfiest.
Except the middle east one fuck that.
Western european and WE WUZ poophuts are top comfy.
What a shame there isn't much to do in Feudal outside of early aggression/defense. I wish there was more shit to do so I could see these buildings more often.

Morrowind Watercoloured makes the game shine with aesthetic. Vanilla animations are shit though.

L4D2's gore is still unmatched by any games since.

It was released before the console downgrades began.
If you want a comparison, try out the downgraded BFG edition.

A lot of those images are from the MCC port of Halo 3, so the 343i logo is on it.

I remember the intestine streams being novel when I first saw them, but I can;t think of anything else about it that is noteworthy.

I agree, although at most times they go overboard with the gray and brown, some saturation is always nice.
Then again most ENBs crank saturation to the max and always seem to fuck the skybox somehow.

Emulation doesn't count, it looked way shittier on a old ass TV+PS1

I always liked how in SWAT 4 all the weapons were visible on character bodies and SWAT members would let their primary weapons hang on a 1 point sling when switching to pistols or equipment.

There's also a very cool voice recognition mod for the game that lets you use a mic to input orders instead of the command menu.

YES
One of the only games that looks great with ENB or without. Especially near water. The water in FC2 just makes you want to go in and swim, especially if you imagine a hot 100 degree day in the bush.

buh buh muh adriana lima in a microkini with a lambda on it
t. fakefactory

Creative Labs also stole the lighting tech through patent trolling.

These games get a lot of praise, I played Splinter cell 1 and Chaos theory and I felt the level designs were absolute shit even if some of them weren't linear.

Is that older that 5 years already?

Doom 3 uses stenciled shadows that make it possible to get perfectly detailed hard shadows. This looks great for a dark horror game, but is not so good for games with more natural, soft lighting, and is also quite expensive. Modern games use shadow mapping, which is cheaper and blurrier.

Homeworld 2 (2003) still looks great today. They used an interesting technique for the backgrounds. They were first drawn by artists as sphere-mapped textures. Then a program converted them into a mesh of gouraud shaded triangles. The result looks great at any resolution, allowing for both smooth gradients and sharp transitions as long as there isn't too much high frequency detail.
simonschreibt.de/gat/homeworld-2-backgrounds/

Spyro also clearly used gouraud shading for its backgrounds, as you can see in .

I m not even gonna bother. It's the little things in it that make the level design good, the kind of thing you might miss out on if you play the game wrong.

Nevermind, that was the one I was thinking of. Pandora tomorrow also had the definitition of what a linear level is, a fucking train in the Paris-Nice mission, and it was one of the best levels in the game. Fuck you Jerusalem

What? Googling it yields no results and I can come to no logical conclusion of what it might stand for.
???
What the fuck am I reading? Those textures are the original ones. And that is not bump mapping.

OB=orange box, in reference to the updated source engine that half-life 2 episode 2 uses. Half-Life 2 was updated to it in 2010 without any thought of the implementation and it messed many things up.

Detail textures= an old technique that existed before bump maps to give the illusion of detail to the texture. Basically an extra layer to give a wood grain type effect. It's a late 90s tech that was used in games like Unreal 1, counter strike condition zero, xbox versions of multiplats like timesplitters 2 etc. Here is a picture.

It was never in the game before, so they added it in the update for some unknown reason.

I think that G3 might be modeled incorrectly.

ya think?

this was released one year earlier.

What did you say?!

To be fair the textures are aging but it still looks damn great. These screenshots don't even have AA.

And the sequel. Great job Krytek.

Dead Space 1's art style was so good. Everything was an over-complicated greebly mess of tiny hard edges, with a little bit of gothic style thrown in for good measure, which made everything look extremely unfriendly, yet still human and industrial.

2 wasn't a bad looking game, by any means, but the aesthetic just wasn't the same. The suits, especially suffered. Dead Space 1's suits were very unique, whereas a lot of the ones in Dead Space 2 wouldn't look out of place in, say, Deus Ex.

I think just the sheer amount of it that could happen all at once while still running on a toaster.

I don't think anyone's matched the sheer detail of gore in Soldier of Fortune 2 in an FPS title, but perhaps my memory is inaccurate.

Warband looks good

I laughed out loud at the PKM