Dynamic Campaigns

What are your favorite games which feature full fledged, pseudo randomly generated dynamic campaigns?

The only two games which I've played which do so on a mission by mission basis are the venerable Il-2 Sturmovik series, and the autistic Flanker 4 BMS which literally simulates an entire war raging on the surface as you do your thing.

Do games such as Mount and Blade which have a never ending, persistent 'overworld' apply under the dynamic campaign label?

Do mods count?
Also, don't grand strategy vidya fall under this?

Technically kinda yes?
It really depends how OP defines campaign. Does it have to have a story or main goal other than destroying the enemy?

If mods count then I had fun with Arma 3's Dynamic Universal War System mod. Yes it has tons of bugs but it was pretty fun

Only games I can think of having played that had anything like dynamic campaigns are Total Wars, Dark Crusade, and Mount and Blade. None of those campaigns were particularly memorable either, they all just felt kinda bland.

Men of War's Dynamic Campaign Generator mod
lmao

The problem with campaigns in Mount & Blade is that the AI is clinically retarded; at least in Warband anyways. If you do nothing and just sit in a city and watch you'll only see the factions fight continuous wars where they just take ride around raiding villages and taking, losing, and then retaking often the same castles and towns over and over again. Without the player the campaigns go literally nowhere. It takes ages to for the AI to conquer another faction on its own, and even then it tends to ignore most of the castles and just take the cities.
Even when the player is involved the AI is absolutely shit at defending its territory. I've played the game a ton and only maybe 3-5 times has the AI successfully retaken something from me. So the campaigns are sort of dynamic, but in a kind of predictable way.

My favorite part is when the AI is trying to attack my undefended castle with 60 men while I'm stationing near it. Or pretty much when they try and attack an other AI which has more troops
They'll just keep running away until they forget that I was there, turn around, charge, see me, run away, forget, turn around…

My least favorite part is when your with a bunch of warbands and you take a town or castle and then the AI leaves like 25 guys to defend it. Gotta watch it like a hawk until someone is awarded it and they boost the garrison.

So wait, are those games like warthunder but singleplayer?

SKIRMISHES WITHIN SKIRMISHES

Butterlord when

Kinda but with more sim and fewer planes

Red Baron II / 3D still has one of the best dynamic campaigns I've ever played.

all the time

thanks for wasting my trips greasemonkey

The most fully fledged dynamic campaign I've ever had the pleasure of playing. It operated on action/reaction between the you and the other AI/ enemy AI. If a transport chopper was shot down the game would issue a SEAD to take out the Anti Air, then assign a BDU to make sure all targets were destroyed. I've never played a game quite like it really.

ArmA 3 Pilgrimage would be so much fucking fun if it wasn't for the shitty black market. Seriously, I can spend hours just walking that god damned island going from church to church, operatan, setting ambushes for patrols to get their equipment, and clearing buildings alone. It feels so fucking relaxing to walk through the woods at night, constantly afraid that there might be some government troops or thugs hiding in the trees. I never actually found the brother, but hey, still lots of fun.
Now if Bohemia weren't such dickholes and would actually add content to the game…

No. Those are actually good simulators. IL2 Sturmovik (the old one) actually had a SHIITLOAD of planes to fly, from early war bombers to experimental German jet fighters, all of them modelled accurately, and with realistic stats. (The nes one is kind of meh. Shinyer graphics but far fewer planes. Also: only one map (Stalingrad) IIRC).
Falcon BMS is THE most realistic F-16 simulation to date. It is so horrendously detailed that even my DCS-loving autism wasn't brave enough to touch it yet.
(Checked)
How well/badly did it age?

Well, it still has a modding community and several new helicopters and updated models and a refinement of the missile system to be even more realistic.

The flight and damage models are so much better though. The La5 feels different from the 190, which isn't the case for IL2 1946.

Holla Forums squadron when

My favorites are Paradox games and Mount & Blade.
I always wanted the economy simulation of Victoria 2, the dynasties, family management, and deaths of Crusader Kings 2, and the first person strategy and conquest of Mount & Blade in one game.
I don't think Bannerlord will fully deliver on this (I saw the Civ 5-style trading crap screenshots), but hopefully mods will bring it pretty close. I'll probably attempt to bring in dynasties but it'd probably require some modicum of background in programming.

IIRC character aging, and possibly death, are confirmed. As for the rest, depend on how lax TW has been in their definition of "core gameplay".

Hopefully the new focus on modular modding (ala Bethesda) will attract a more active modding community.

Is the new IL-2 any good? I haven't paid any attention to it.

I got a T flight hotas any of these games would be worthwhile for me? Arma 3 isn't really cutting it on that part.

IL2 is fun, my friend uses the thrustmaster HOTAS and enjoys the game. War thunder is okay if you want a variety of planes, but sim is ded, and there is no way you will ever beat M+KB in arcade/realistic. torrent BoS or CloD and see if you like em. They have pretty decent singleplayer campaigns.

Battle of Moscow? It seems to be standalone DLC for BoS. Flight models are nice, maps are pretty, planes are pretty, but you only have 10 planes to choose from. Engine management and such is pretty dertailed.

Dynamic campaigns are the final frontier of vidya storytelling, which hipster developers haven't caught onto because they're still trying to make movies.
They're not too hard to make with the right techniques, you just have to stop thinking like a writer or movie director.

If anyone is interested I can share some unreleased dynamic/generated campaigns I made for Arma 3.

Aces of the Pacific, OP

Please do. I'm replaying the game after the last update (Don't have the new DLC though)

Heh, I kinda miss playing Arma 3 now, I just got disillusioned because of BI goddamn kike shit with not releasing DLC and then Apex came out and completely fucked me over. I really really hate DLC shit. Dynamic Campaigns though were the most fun

My fucking nigga.

Playing Rule the Waves was pretty fun what ever happened to those threads?

where WHERE?? pleeaase I so desperately want to try the game out.

Back in the day those used to be called "Expansion packs" It's been a thing in vidya for a looooong time.

Kike shit is what Paradox did with Hearts of Iron 4. Kike shit is not what I'd describe BI, who give you free updates so as not to fracture the playerbase.

OP dropped his playthrough and the threads never came back. I'm still having fun with it sometimes.

Except if you dare touch or go near any DLC features your screen gets attacked by ads and you can't see shit for 10 seconds which can happen in the middle of combat.

heh