Games that graphically pushed their consoles to the limit

Games that graphically pushed their consoles to the limit

Sure.

Nu males lies is a graphically intensive game?

It is, if you count "badly optimized" as graphically intensive.

That is the joke.

I have a feeling nu males skies was built with a heavily modified Unity engine. It even looks like a unity engine game.

Laugh all you want, but this shit right here did things unimaginable on the PS2. Sure, it dipped down to 8fps doing that, but it's still commendable

And this one used the ungodly fillrate that was avaible on the PS2 at the time

I remember some fag saying HL2 did HDR first, while completely missing the point. First of all, it didn't. At launch, HL2 had no HDR. It was only added in 2005 with the lost coast, and the base game never had it. The maps needed to be recompiled and an update that big never happened until the orange box port of HL2. SotC also came out about a week before lost coast.

Second of all, HL2 rather explicitly relies on directx. Especially for years after the source engine came out, it was a very direct x heavy engine, and it didn't get support for HDR until D3D9 got it. Even then, the feature was pulled from the engine some time before the game launched, for one reason or another. None of the maps were compiled with HDR.

Now look at the case of SotC. The PS2 is hardware from 1998, finalized and released in 1999. SotC has this technology running on hardware from the late 90s, and at best sits at 25-30FPS. It's not ideal, but it is playable enough when it is noticeable.

HL2 needed new hardware and new software to do this same technique it showed off in tech. The team behind SotC wanted to pull off the technique and did so on hardware and software that had no software.

And that's just the lighting.

Oh right, forgot this. This was the first version I played.

MGS4 character models still look better than a lot of current gen games

decent port, but has some issues. Best played off the HDD, better yet if you get an 80-pin ide cable. Really helps minimize load times.

This and FF8 have to be some of the prettiest games on the psone I've played.

SotC had great animation compared to anything else at the time. Once you got a hang of the controls, it was one of the best games of all time. GTA:SA pushed the console in a different way, but look how crap the animation is in GTA compared to SotC.

You're making me want to finally crack open my HD copy. I've been waiting over a decade, trying to forget that game, so I can relive it at some point.

I fucking love good animation.

Just look at garbage games like Skyrim and you'll feel the sadness I feel. The shit animation they get away with in AAA games today is hilarious.

is that your steel battalion set? I also have the green button controller. Also I'm a bit of a collector, I like official things so I got the Microsoft HD pack for the Xbox, same results but it just gives it a bit of a prominence over third parties.

To be fair, to have accurate HDR you need a FP rendertarget, and the PS2 just can't do that. It uses simple tone mapping, but the effect kinda looks like it's supposed to.

Yeah. Pics are a few years old. Haven't played in a while.

This really should have been on the game cube.

it was a tightly tweaked dynamic tone mapping solution.

True story, someone who actually owns the steel battalion controller has promised to give it to me but he can't find it, he thinks his mom threw it away.

His mom died a few years ago so I can't push him on it.

just find a good buy on ebay. Make sure it comes with the pedals.

Still amazes me how good it all looks. Framedrops aside, those japs knew what they could do.

Scarface the world is yours is a superior GTA SA

prove me wrong, you can not

Yes and Rare should have never left Nintendo, Perfect Dark Zero was an abortion of a game, Perfect Dark on Xbox 360 was great though, I wish they had made a PC port.

A lot of PS3 games are like that.

its more like a proper vice city 2.

I'm building an arcade machine and the deck has two microsoft force feedback joysticks and buttons. Way easier than paying a lot of money to find a SB controller just so I can take it apart.

Came here just to bitch that GTASA was the thread opener and not this.

that game was pretty neato as i remember though

that was a surprisingly good port. but the xbox was a decent little console.

man some mgs2/3 models still look better than some current gen models

remember there is a ps3 version of ground zeros

Graphics are often a lot less about power than they are about putting in an utterly psychotic level of effort.

I always thought Vice City looked better than San Andreas, but probably because I liked the aesthetic better.

Did Holla Forums play anything before the N64?

i'm not sure if i could go that far, i mean you're not wrong by any means but sometimes making the model simpler makes them "last longer" so to say

biowares character models are fairly detailed, or at least the faces are, but to a degree that it just makes the characters look fucking hideous

I think the reason is because it looks cool in first person.

That really is the reason. Shell casings flying across your field of view looks cool

good enough reason for me

It's called painted textures mate, none of that photograph and bumpmapping. Nah, just good old fashioned digital paint.

Do you really think SA is the best example of PS2 graphics?

Fuck, even the previous GTAs would be better, at least they had 3D steering wheels and more buildings whose interiors were visible from the outside

No they don't you dumb fuck.

UH OH, DID SOMEONE SAY KNAAAAAACK?

Does that answer your question?

I honestly think the 2D steering wheels in SA looked better than the diamond or pentagon shaped ones in VC.

IT'S KNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK BABYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

It's honestly amazing the shit devs did to make games like Deus Ex 1 even run on the PS2, or Morrowind running on the Xbox

What really impresses me. Is how almost bug free Morrowind was compared to later elder scrolls games. Hell the DEVs actually took there time to iron out bugs in the Xbox port.

That's because it came out on consoles before widespread broadband and console connectivity was a thing.

Back then you had to get it right with the release copy, there were no day one patches.

Good times

Thats because they had to for compliance. Mind you the Xbox port is still a fucking mess but it cannot hard crash otherwise it wouldn't even get approved for sale.

Surprisingly one of the few JRPGs which PC port is superior.

this reminds me about a N64 game where under a certain conditions game would crash and devs couldn't figure out how to fix it to get approval from nintendo so they just wrote a handler that gave you cheats every time you crashed a game and pretended it was intended

Back than consoles couldn't run unreal 3

Super Mario 3 on the famicon, blows my mind.

Why is that?

Holy shit that looks fucking awful. I can't believe I didn't do any research on this before. I was fucking use THIS GAME to benchmark my PC to see if I could run PS2 games smoothly, and it just fucking turns out this particular games runs at low framerate. FUCK.

It looks fuckin good

I can't be the only one who has a hard-on for game ports to weaker consoles?

I loved playing the DOOM I and DOOM II ports on GBA, or Sim city 2000 on GBA.

god damn.

Doom on the GBA was probably the best game I owned for the console

Ayo hol up

Graphically, GBA is at least on par with N64 and carts were about the same size; with (then) modern tech, they could squeeze a lot more into a GBA cart than an N64 cart.

Where I'm going with this is that SimCity 2000 was also on the SNES and the GBA destroys it on a technical level

Well now i fell stupid. I completed the game 4 times and i discover just now that you could customize weapons. Never did lethal tho

Graphically speaking San Andreas was a step down from Vice City. In return it got a much larger map, ofc, but that isn't graphics strictly speaking.

It was the only ps2 game in the whole library of ps2 games to have a frame skipper. Any other game will slow down as it will be tied to the frame rate. Except this one

You messed up fam. That's the DS, and not even quite, because of the lower res screen

I need you to think long and hard about the sheer level of retardation you just typed into the comment field before pressing "New Reply"

Missing the point.

SC2000 was on both SNES and GBA, the former fucking choking to even pan the map around

Did you even play Morrowind on Xbox you faggot?

To be fair, the Xbox did have game patching, but don't think many had them.

Yes. Every time a door's state is changed (usually opened), it's no longer the default state, so needs to be updated on next save. EVERY fucking thing you do in the world that changes it from the default, from looting a chest, to leaving a corpse, to picking up an item, will all create additional save data. It's very possible for long playthroughs to hit the limit (again, 2MB) on save filesize, and the xbox simply fails to read the file because its too big. I have lost 60h+ playthroughs this way.

Always mods to fix it. I think there's an unofficial Xbox mod patch, but can't remember. Know Isozone has Xbox modpacks for Morrowind.

Isn't that the same shit as with Skyrim? If you play long enough script bloat will eventually make your savefile so unstable the game becomes unplayable?

Pretty sure Oblivion had the same thing as well, where shit just became unresponsive after a certain time.

Thanks to the invention of script extenders, the save bloat crash can be put off for quite a while longer, but it's still inevitable.

smh

tbh

Ninja gaiden 1 and 2

Hard mode: Multi platform only

Half Life for DC.

Test Drive Le Mans for the Dreamcast. I recall reading back then that it did more polygons per second than Sega said the machine could do.

Technically, the Dreamcast could probably push as many polygons as the Xbox 360 - they'd just be untextured/monocolor texture (N64 style) and it'd run at about 1fph. (frame per hour).

Every Wipeout game.

I did say polygons per second.

No, you didn't.

It was stable compared to oblivion and Skyrim console release.

Are your parents siblings?

I know they're low hanging fruits but come on

MGS2:S, pretty insane that they managed to make it run at all on PS2 considering all the other versions run worse and require several time as much power to do so.