Inflated Standards

The last time I bought a video game was four years ago, and the last time I was actually invested in one long enough to beat it was 3 1/2. No upcoming game is interesting. Sometimes I wish I could enjoy a four hour corridor shooter like most people, but I've become so over analytical of games that it's impossible for me to enjoy any of them anymore.

Dig more

oh thank god i was worried id made a mistake

Stop playing upcoming games then until you find something good.

I enjoyed pic related more than anything in the genre I've played.

ayy lmao

I can get behind Rabi Ribi. First game I've bought since 2014

Now if only the science bitch who forgot her pants would stop being such a goddamn wall

What difficulty are you playing on? If you manage to get past her with a fluke you'll be heading to the world of pain pretty soon anyway.

Not OP, but I can't stand metroidvanias

Find your niche genre and play games from that.

Is that really so fucking hard?

Yes.

ur not op

Looks ok.

Well, yeah. If you're like me have have played games from most genres and prefer neither over the other.

Nut up or choose a different hobby, and maybe don't try to play video games all day long.

But I don't play them all day long.

How bad user

It happens to anyone who looks into a an art or a craft long enough - your standards go up so high that you can only enjoy the best of the best.

There's a reason why so many musicians listen to the classics - shit's good when what you're looking for is intricacy and originality.

I've got the same here, but I dubbed it the "gamedev curse". I work on videogames as a hobby and as a result every game to me seems to be nothing but a sum of its parts. Well, unless it's an absolute unprecedented masterpiece.

Being analytical is good, but perhaps you should meditate on what you enjoyed about video games in the first place. Go back and play some games you remember with fondness, and while you're picking them apart bit by bit, look for the things that you remember as good or fun. Ask yourself why you think those things were good, and try to build and argument in their favor to convince yourself that they're still good even by your current standards. If you can't do that, either the elements that you remember were never good, and you're only able to see that clearly now, or you're just never going to be happy. Sometimes it pays to keep your expectations in check.

I like metroidvanias when the movement in them is good(Outland), the combat in them is good(Valdis Story I suppose) and/or the boss fights in them are excellent(Momodora, Castlevania to an extent and Rabi Ribi).
But then there's La Mulana which is in an entire tier of itself, if you haven't played that I suggest you do.

Rabi Ribi is fun but I kind of lost steam for it during chapter 6 during the Hall of Memory fight. It just struck me as wearing out its welcome as well as the bosses devolving into nothing more than flashy light shows that you get to dodge while doing that one combo over and over again until the boss gets enough armor/iframes to stop you for a period in which the next flashy light show happening. Plus there was this one attack she did that struck me as absolute bullshit

this
I have 200+ hours in it and I'm still not done with it.

Stop playing any games for a few months, say 4 or 5. You'll develop a new appreciation for games that you haven't had in a long while

When your favorite genre is dead or casualized, yeah it's fucking hard to enjoy shit

What's your favorite genre, user?

Not interested =/= hate compared to how this board loves to make them synonymous.

Fuck you.

The best old games never went away OP, look for a classic you missed and give it a whirl. It's suprising how well alot of old and shitty looking games hold up.