Why does linux take forever to startup when its less than 2 seconds on windows 10 or osx?

Why does linux take forever to startup when its less than 2 seconds on windows 10 or osx?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Oh fuck. Wrong board. But let's make this a linux gaming general I guess.

I sorta admire you for missing the board where your bait was supposed to go and then immediately repurposing it for another board.
That's a pretty advanced shitposting technique.

likely chances is

speaking of games,

eduke32 is pretty good, hopefully stk gets actual netcode soon soon as in never

systemd needs at least 30 secs alone to corrupt it's binarylog files. then pulse audio needs 10-20 or so to fill it's 15sec lag & latency buffer full of Pottering Screetch-Warble-Singing. Another 10-15 for the amateur-hour opensource video drivers to crash and silently restart a few times.

because you never have to reboot Linux .. ever

I've seen unix uptimes in into the 5+ years

that's bullshit and you know it
t. former Win 10 user

It takes less time to boot into windows than my BIOS setup. I'm not joking. It's on an SSD.

That's wrong, for one thing. Also win10/8 do not shutdown the same as all prior versions of windows, instead the system logs you off, then goes into hibernate so "startup" is faster. This is the reason you can't just smash F8 to get into safe mode when you start up win8/10, you have to access a hidden config menu while logged in, then tell it to boot into safe mode on the next startup.
If you hibernate win7 or winxp, you cannot access safe mode when the system is waking either.

I'll bite.
Grab your windows 10 (or 8/8.1 for that matter) and fully shut it down with shutdown -s. Then see how much time it takes to really boot.

Win8 onwards by default simply hibernates when you 'shut down' and that makes it so that when you boot again you're just resuming that hibernated session that was prepared earlier. It's the equivalent of starting a 100m dash on a point where you're 50m ahead of the start line.

But hey, Microsoft's shilling about faster boot times got to everyone's heads anyway. Clever, I admit… But that's not a real cold boot.

It's not wrong.

From POST to Windows 10 Login it's 3 seconds or less

But the video is of Arch, which doesn't use systemd.

On an hibernated session. Go on, try entering safe mode like said. You won't be able to.
Do a proper shutdown.

I did that.

Just to be clear. It writes only the driver and device info into disk. Nothing else. I have to give Microsoft credit for that trick since it does significantly decrease boot times but when you're trouble shooting it's a fucking pain in the ass if you accidentally shut down regularly.

Yeah, it is a modified hibernation indeed. Instead of directly saving the machine state like it does on a 'normal' hibernate order, it logs out and clears out any running application shit and writes a half-booted state into disk for next use.
As I said, they basically start the 100m dash with a 50m handicap bonus.

source arch wiki

Can confirm. I tried arch last week and setup my vpn using systemd

Incorrect.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd
Read their referenced forum post on why Arch moved to The D

Not for long thanks to SystemD™ trying to do everything in PID 1!

What's with the boot time autism if you're going to keep your computer on for an autistic amount of time?

Linux uses actual boots during bootstrapping.

I don't understand why it's important, users have always had the option to just hibernate or suspend the system.
If a user wanted faster boot times, the options were there, and now with SSDs it's even faster. The only time I ever shut off my system is for a huge update, or when there's a power outage. A faster boot time is completely inconsequential to most users when their only intent is to waste their time watching youtube videos or shitposting on twitter.

Linux boots faster for me on every machine. Guess it depends on your distro. Any systemD distro for me takes forever to load.

Rebooting is a pain in the ass?

Because it's a meme operating system that is only liked by hipsters who want to stand out. Apple is the OG and is still the best you can go with. They've been in this business a long time.

what you're doing is putting your machine into standby or sleep mode.

I FUCKING HATE
SYSTEM DICKS
REMOVE IT FUCKING REMOVE IT

I don't need any of those things. Stop grasping for straws, hipster. Go back to your obtuse meme system.