THE CURSE

So we've had

What will we see in the next Demon Soulsborne game, Vampirism?

I don't know, but the next souls game won't be in quite a while.
Miya is sick as shit of the series and the formula, we'll probably get a new Armored Core game from the looks of things.
That won't be "traditional" but instead will incorporate elements from souls games maybe in terms of controls, or pacing, or whatever, it will probably be some kind of hybrid including in the game everything they've learned so far.

Frankly souls games need to fuck off for now.
The series needs to fuck off, the fanbase needs to fuck off, the casuals infesting it need to fuck off, the media attention, the "gamer culture omg souls games are so fkn hard bro" need to fuck off.

We must start again from square one, back to the DeS days.
This goddamn series was fully done around DaS1, the only happy accident that happened since DaS1 was BB, and that was a number of factors clashing together to make a good game despite all odds and the entire team being already burnt out.

So fuck this stagnation and let's look fowards to Miya giving us something else for a change.
He's tired of this and you should be too at this point.

GIANT ROBOTS

There's already a Souls general, a BB-specific thread, a DaS-specific thread, how many threads do there need to be?

And christ there's a DeS-specific thread too, pick one

This sounds familiar.

No, it'll be called saturation of a once decent franchise that must be wrung down to the very last drop like some two bit whore.

Play Dark Souls Survive today! The hot new multiplayer survival shooting extravanganza! Team up with your buddies to unleash some shrapnel justice on the hordes of hollows that populate our world, in this alternate reality! Are you a bad enough dude to kindle the flame?

59.99 Basic Package! Pre-order now to receive a 5 dollar discount on our Season Pass! Unleash your holy power with the all new Holy Paladin pack! 30 new player skins! 5 new weapons! 3 new magic spells, and 15 taunts! 39.99 with your pre-order discount!

Its going to be the undead video game series.

Hahah get it ?

I hope From walks away from SoulsBorne for a while, I want to see them try something else, maybe just a pure action game

So why do people hate ds3?

I think it was pretty ok.

-poise
-linear levels
-shitty unbalanced PVP
-gimmick boss fights
-lazy copy pasted covenants
-frame rat drops, general poor performance

Hey, I still like it but it has its problems. I haven't picked it up since I completed it the first time through. At first I thought it was series fatigue, but then I went back to play Dark Souls 1 and I enjoyed myself.

Its better than 2, but a lot of people were getting hyped up that the boys were back in town, especially after bloodborne being supposedly good, an expectation was built up that it would be as good as DaS
Or at least not have so many obvious flaws
It's good despite that, but not something many people would really go back to much

Why do people keep saying this bullshit? It even irks me when people call them "souls games". That's fucking stupid, these games are not so unique that they deserve their own specific genre. They're 3D Castlevania done right. That's about it.

Even if you want to be a dickhead and insist that "souls" should be considered its own genre, then why the fuck would you say "soulsborne" when there has only been a single god damned Bloodborne game? Even then, this game is essentially Dark Souls 2.5. It doesn't warrant its own subgenre within this hypothetical "souls" genre in the same way that Metroid and Castlevania are similar enough to fit within a single genre but unique enough that they contain elements that warrant the distinction.

Fuck you, whatever, keep saying this shitty term, even though it makes no sense. It's not like I can stop you people. Forgive my autism, but I have to vent. It's fucking stupid.

I heard what you're saying loud and clear. I'll start calling them Metroidsoulsvaniaborne games.

What
Aside from shit like the Cinematic Wyvern or Whack-a-Priest, the boss fights are mostly standard
And The King Formerly Known as Prince is up there with Kalameet as one of the best fights in the series
Though maybe that's just me being a casual since they're both fights that seem like they're from a much 'grander' game

What if in the next Soulsbourne game we play as human and we fight other human.

How about we don't try and make shitty meme names for them at all? Metroidvania is a shitty term, too. They're side scrolling action adventure games that focus on exploration and character development, and an interconnected, cohesive world/level design.

Look, I agree with what you're saying. Soul of Cinder, Pontiff Sulyvahn, Storm King, The Abyss Watchers, and others are all well and good. I'm just reiterating what I've heard people bitch about. They're not entirely wrong, there are some gimmick boss fights that perhaps could've been done better.

Youkai.

FUND IT

The fact that they abandoned the Incurable Undead thing in the Dark Souls series seriously rustled my jimmies.

It was fun to know that you were going to go hollow anyway, and the entire game was you giving yourself senseless tasks in order to grasp to every little bit of sanity left in you to postpone the innevitable.

I'd much rather say that instead of Metroidvania. It's such a convenient way to convey meaning.

The darkwraiths are kind of like vampire-succubus hybrids

user…

Look, I never implied that "side scrolling action adventure games that focus on exploration and character development" is a concise and efficient short hand term that can be used to reference these types of games. I merely pointed out that the term "Metroidvania" is garbage. First, do you really think that the term's existence is warranted when you can just say they're 2D action/adventure games and call it a day? Even if you say yes and you feel these types of games are so unique that they deserve their own special snowflake descriptor, then surely someone could come up with something better than metroid-fucking-vania, right? No, I don't have any better suggestions, but I'm not claiming that I do.

Mecha souls

POSSESSION

"Metroidvania" are specifically the nonlinear Castlevania games, not the entire genre of nonlinear 2D action games. Anyone who uses it otherwise is misusing it. Stop being autistic.

What's wrong with "Metriodvaina">>10852310
This right here.
Metroidvania is misused almost as much ad Roguelike.

I'll be as autistic as I want and there's nothing you can do to stop me. Go ahead, use your special terms. All I said is that they're garbage. You don't give a shit what some random anonymous user on some Mongolian knitting wordpress page thinks about such irrelevant minutia anyway, right?

The main problem I have with it is that it isn't worthy of its own existence. "2D nonlinear action adventure" just about does it. You don't need some pointless distinction because the broad categorization already covers it. It's like when you say, "heavy metal" you could be referring to anything from Slayer to Whitesnake. There are subgenres but they're ultimately pointless but they all belong to the same parent genre. I just think it's redundant. Everyone already knows that Whitesnake has a different style than Slayer, it doesn't need to be qualified anywhere. You know this if you take the time to listen to their work. It should be obvious. The same goes for video games of a specific type.

It doesn't work like that. We humans classify everything in to groups. It's just what we do. More over we're lazy with our language so we like a compact, easy to say or write term for everything.
If you really don't like what something is classified or described as you need to come up with a more accurate competing term.

You're six posts deep in an essay-long rant about a term that a) you misunderstand and b) other people also misunderstand and misuse. There is literally no reason to be upset.

Going back to the origin of this spat and the term Soulsborne, it doesn't have any reason to exist when "Souls" would suffice, but it's not like it's non-descriptive. Unless you want to drag OP down here and force him to apologize for adding an unnecessary suffix, I don't know what your goal is.

The plural is "minutiae"

I don't believe that the term needs to be accurate, just that it needs to have a ring to it. People like to listen to themselves speak more than like to analyze what they're saying. It's like propaganda. It has to be brief, easy to remember and emotionally/politically charged. Something that people can say that will get a reaction out of those who hear the words and immediately understand their usage and contextual implications. So, I guess you're right; there needs to be a catchier competing term. Do you think I'm being to pedantic? I feel it's quite the opposite and that people who insist on creating unnecessary distinctions and trying to turn them into their own thing are the ones who are being pedantic.

I'm not going to sit here and try and come up with something to compete with Metroidvania. I don't have anything, and I don't think I'm all that creative. Still, I've said my piece, I don't think it's necessary. Maybe you can think of something better? Surely there's someone out there who can think of something better.

Alright, then, please enlighten me. How am I misusing the term? How do others misuse this term? Also, I'm not upset. You don't have to believe me, I will continue to express my opinion regardless.
You're right, the term is descriptive, if nothing else. No, I'm not asking for anything. You can ignore my posts if you're so triggered by my contentious opinion. Is this not a place where anonymous users can come and express their thoughts without being worried about the sensibilities of others?
Talk about being pedantic. Well, fair enough. Forgive me; people tend to misunderstand the language they sling about in every day usage. I guess people would do well to ignore it or stop being so autistic you faggot

I'm certain I've already covered that
Even if you want to go the "roguelike" route of calling these games "Metroidlike", other games of the same kind predate Metroid. Even if the term "Metroidvania" were a viable term meant to encompass the entire nonlinear 2D action platformer genre, it's become nondescriptive to the point of uselessness. Go look up the "Metroidvania" tag on Steam and count how many games actually fit the criteria.

Is this not a place where people come to speak their minds and then get bullied for having retarded minds?

>or stop being so autistic you faggot
You've awoken something you cannot put down

Oh, have you? Well, let's read what you wrote in your shitpost verbatim:
"Metroidvania" are a subset of 2D side scrolling action adventure games that feature character development in the form of micromanagement (RPG elements, for those of you who are so insistent that we need a fucking shorthand for everything) or unique upgrade items that are doled out as rewards for exploration or successful combat, and that offer combat and environmental utility, which can allow the player to progress through the world and reveal segments of the game that they otherwise would not have been able to access. That isn't what you said. Explain to me how this description is inaccurate. You can't.
No one here has implied that Metroidvania is meant to describe an entire genre of games, you fucking illiterate mongoloid.
You're right, I'm not debating that
That's exactly my fucking point. These subgenre terms are fucking pointless, just like the term Metroidvania itself. Maybe if you'd have read what I said to begin with, I wouldn't have to explain myself more than once.
This is true, and it also explains why you've been called a fucking dipshit so many times in the past.
Now we both know that isn't true. The moment I press CTRL+W, you and your faggy posturing disappear. When I get bored, which I inevitably will, I will move on and this thread will most likely die.

It's pretty easy to explain, you don't know what you're talking about and can't fucking read. Metroidvania is an ill-fitting term for what you're trying to describe because it was never meant to be used to describe that, and was only ever meant to be used within the context of the Castlevania series to distinguish post-SotN games from pre-SotN games. This is not open to debate.

Your entire complaint boils down to "oh dear god please help I can't stop misusing this term why am I so retarded"

You JUST DID immediately prior to that quote, you diagnosable autist.

Says who? You specifically? This sounds like some revisionist bullshit. Go do some "SoulsBorne" searching with Google and you'll find that I'm not the only person to ever use that description to refer Metroidvania. But, hey, if you want to insist that "neenerneenerneer I'm right and you're wrong because I say so" then you go right ahead. In your mind, where you don't have to address reality, you're safe.
But I DIDN'T, you sewage-brained retard. I think we're done here. By the way, you know that "sage is not a downvote", right? You keep replying as if you hope to get the last word and I won't reply and thereby bump this thread in the process.

>Go do some "SoulsBorne" searching with Google and you'll find that I'm not the only person to ever use that description to refer Metroidvania.
Pretty fucking hard to grandstand when you can't even keep two terms straight.

You certainly did, and I will reproduce the quote in full
*gen·re ˈ(ZHänrə), noun: a category of artistic composition, as in music or literature, characterized by similarities in form, style, or subject matter

I'm using sage because this thread has at least four duplicate threads just like it, which was the first thing I said in this thread, but, again, I understand you can't fucking read. Guess I really do get the last word now that you're running away with your tail between your legs, don't pick an autistic slap-fight if you can't go the distance.

Alright, you know very well I used "SoulsBorne" in that context as a play on words, and that I was telling you to do some "soul searching". If you didn't get that, then you're thicker than I thought, and I didn't think much of your reasoning to begin with. Moving on.
Alright, you want to break out the dictionary? Let me explain what subset means:
subset ˈsəbˌset/ noun
noun: subset; plural noun: subsets; noun: sub-set; plural noun: sub-sets
a part of a larger group of related things.
synonyms: subcategory, branch, subdivision, subsection, subsidiary
Is there really any other reason to quote the rest of what I initially said? I don't think so, because you're not referencing anything of substance. It seems, then, that you don't actually take issue with the definition of Metroidvania that I first posed. Instead, you seem to be having difficulty grasping this simple word, and I've already addressed that, s now that we know that SUBSET was used, and can be used, interchangeably with SUBGENRE, let's move on.
You're saging this thread, yet you're still contributing to it with these incessant shitposts? I suppose you hate Dark Souls or the "SoulsBorne" series that much, huh? Well, I can somewhat sympathize with that. This franchise is already being milked to death, we don't really need any more. Maybe that's not it. Maybe you just want to try and curate the board by bombing threads with shitposting until the topic at hand goes away forever. That can't be it, though, because that requires a concerted effort, and you're just a single faggot crying about how a word is being misrepresented while simultaneously trying to imply that I'm being to sensitive about how the term SoulsBorne is being perpetuated. That's some irony. Eh, whatever. If you've got nothing else to add, then I guess this conversation is over.
Sorry, but I'm still here, autismo.

It's very heavily flawed but I enjoy the game for what it is. The moment-to-moment combat is awesome, very fast-paced. The build variety sucks. Duels are awesome, almost every boss is cool and the act of fighting an enemy is a joy. Trading hits, bobbing and weaving, stunning them then going ham with the r1s feels amazing. The world design is shit and linear. The environments and graphics are incredibly beautiful. The hitboxes are spotty. The levels are mostly well-layered within themselves and distinct from one another. The themes are derivative and uninspired.

As you can see I have a lot of mixed feelings. It's a solid 6/10, slightly above average, whereas DS1 was an 8 or a 9. You'll probably be disappointed your first time through but if you come back with adjusted expectations, play the game for the thrill of the combat and great bosses, and ignore the lore [which they butchered], you'll have a good time. I know I am. With patches and DLC, it may even be as good as DS1 - obviously the game is linear and no patch will fix a fundamental game design choice, but the raw combat arguably feels better than DS1 [this is subjective]. They just need to fix poise, buff magic, change some numbers around to balance this, adjust hitboxes, and make sure the DLC content is good. It'll obviously never be as thematically original as DS1, but in terms of gameplay only, it's shaping up to be great - eventually.

It also has the fire keeper, who, while totally unnecessary and sometimes annoying, is admittedly very qt. Well done, From.

Part of me wants FROM to start making new ideas and new IPs but another part of me wants them to make a Zelda spin-off using the Souls engine, since it'd be enough of a departure to stand out while still keeping the traits of the other games in-tact

I believe you were still technically "human" in DS2, that's why you could restore health with effigies, the health bar decreasing when you died was you hollowing a little more every time. Meanwhile in 1 you were already hollow.

The part where you explain their similarities in form, style, and subject matter? Guess that point was too nuanced for your young brain.

A long post is not a post filled with content, by the way, remove all of the swaggering incoherent word vomit (ironically about how I'm the one shitposting) and you could probably wrap it up in two sentences.

Well, how many posts are you going to use the "psh nothin personnel guess we're done here I swear I'm not running away" signoff until you admit that I'm actually hurting your feelings? It will be three times in a few minutes.

I like how in Dark Souls III they divorced the concept of hollowing away from the state of being Undead, because it implies that the two are not mutually exclusive. Being Undead doesn't automatically mean that you'll go Hollow, and it's merely a symptom of the curse. It makes me wonder if there is some greater significance to being Undead in the first place. I know the games already sort of imply that the universe as your character experiences it is in flux and not necessarily representative of some objective reality, so being Undead gives credence to the idea that reality is unstable. On the other hand, there could be any number of explanations that delve deeper into being Undead and how it in and of itself should be viewed.

I think Dark Souls 1 implied that the Undead were corralled to the asylum because living people were unable to deal with their presence. Basically, some knee jerk, dark ages style fear mongering from the general public in regards to concepts they don't understand. After all, you can't go Hollow if you're not first Undead, or so Dark Souls 1 implies.

Maybe there's more to being Undead than we currently understand, and it isn't all bad per se.

And by the way, you did notice that the definition for "subset" confirmed that you were describing a genre, right? "Subcategory", right there in the synonym list. gg no re stay in school

Why not start there, then, princess? Why not further explain how my description is incorrect? At this point, you've got no argument, so I'll assume that you're just clamoring for attention. You want me to keep things short and sweet? Alright, well, fuck off already. Holy shit. It was fun arguing with you, but it's old because you're so fucking weak.
You give yourself too much credit, friend.

I love you too, faggot :^)

I'm staring to worry that you're actually autistic after that "Soulsborne-searching" joke gaffe, this is not a disagreement as to how accurately you described this genre of games. You're just using the wrong term for it like every other retard post-2002 does. The entire disagreement literally revolves around you being too stupid to understand what the disagreement is about.

It's alright, user. You're among friends. Things'll be okay. When you get older, you'll understand that even though your father wasn't around and that your mother may have been involved in some questionable activities, that none of it was your fault and that you'll be fine if you just focus on making yourself into a better person.

What is this majesty?

Never thought even you were that pathetic.

Filename

Giant Robot Souls.

Giant robots are gaining souls and everything's gone Skynet?

A big piece of shit. Lords of the Fallen for weebs

you have no idea how much of a monkey paw wish that game would be
have you even seen newwod and its bullshit?
i thank god everyday there hasnt been a modern vampire the masquerade game

PC never ever :^)

Yes, but when I play Vampire I play it with old fans of the source material who couldn't give a flying fuck about newwod.

Hell I've yet to find a single Masquerade player from LARPing to tabletop who plays in newwod willingly. My little brother even went and bought a reprint of the old rules without even knowing what to look for specifically because he just wanted to play a vampire tabletop.

Newwod has and always will be kill.

Shouldn't people like you be asking their parents to drive them to Super Smash Bros. Melee tournaments?

I don't blame you. I just want a good vampire game to come out that isn't fucking horseshit or angst.

Sadly, Changeling the Lost sounds pretty neat even if it has incredibly high cancer potential.

semen addiction from Holla Forums

You can argue that it's not good, but putting it on the same level as LotF is an outright lie.
It's okay that you don't own a PS4, user.:^)

It's got a qt blacksmith too.

I miss her asking me how weapons are made in my country.

You never know man. Nier: Automata was thought to be a console exclusive but now is being released on pc.

It's dead Jim.

dark souls is literally rehash garbage, they've been making the same game for over 20 years now. retards only play the game because of namco marketing. and they say nintendo is bad…

I'd black her smiths, if you know what I mean.

You'd like to waifu her and then be cucked by niggers?

Go away Louis, you are on the wrong imageboard again

No, no you idiots, I'd slap her titties around until they bruised. Stop thinking about black dicks. Jesus this board I swear.

I have my friends PS4, and the demo's expired. Amazing when I did get to play though.

You're the one trying to spin. How embarrassing that you obsession with black dick leaked out over a simple wish for tit-based abuse.

Not calling SoulsBorne a genre, I use it to name the series.

Hold it right there.

If there's a setting that deserves to get a Souls Clone, it's motherfucking Planescape.

There's no way they'd be able to do a big portion of the setting justice, but even something that stuck to a small portion of one ward of Sigil and five or six other Planes would be incredible.

Demonic corruption. In the Abrahamic sense, that is, or at least the Japanese low fantasy interpretation of Abraham. These are taken from a set put out by an artist a while back who is known for doing concept art for From Software, among other things. The current versions that are uploaded have the little Dark Souls size reference men removed, insisting that it 'has nothing to do with any existing FromSoft project.'

And here's the rest.

Also, I should clarify; when I mention Dark Souls scale reference characters, it wasn't for the above pictures in particular. Rather, it was for these separate pieces by the same artist, in the same style, and released at the same time. However, where these match quite well to Dark Souls, and are likely to show up in DLC 2, the others do not. But they have come in the same time and place, as if FromSoft made a dual order of concept art for both the DLC and a new IP project. The scale models of these were hastily scrubbed to keep the DLC from getting spoiled, but this casts the other images in a very curious light.

I actually hate you for suggesting this