Morrowind exploration

How is Morrowind still the best exploration game ever made? Why can't other games do it?

Other urls found in this thread:

uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Mentor's_Ring
uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Miscellaneous_Items#Tribute_Items
en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Races
nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/36873/?
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

A shame its not really worth exploring

Like youll do maybe 3 or 4 side dungeons and more loot than you can carry, and you'll end up with like 80000 coins worth of shit and no matter what you do you break the power curve too easily

Morrowind doesn't restrict players. Most openworld games while being openworld and massive in scale do and hand hold too much.
Morrowind just drops you in and you have figure shit out yourself, that's what makes it great.

You never played it, go away.

Nice numbers faggot
What other open world games with this kinda freedom are there?

That's what I like about the game though. Why can't other games let me become game-breakingly powerful without a cheat?

That's what I like about it too. Pure sandbox without a directionless gameplay.

Skyrim

This single point being kept in mind when designing makes such an enormous impact and is the difference between Skyrim's shitty terrain brush map and Morrowind being an actual place in a world.

Besides the masterpiece that is skyrim, todd.

Because there was actually care put into making the world. Its also one game that actually tells you to do whatever the fuck you want, you get your first quest and when you deliver the documents to foxy grandpa he tells you there are two choices, fuck off and do your own thing or join the blades and take his orders.

Dunno. Daggerfall has as much freedom, but the NPC's and buildings are proceduraly generated shit.

Arktwend, Nehrim and now Enderal have morrowind-tier exploration (in that every dungeon is hand-crafted, rewards the shit out of exploration with interesting, varied loot, and new enemies with small stories attached to them).

Gothic 2 is better in literally every way.

Morrowind is really, really bland and boring. People like it only because it's less bland than Oblivion and Skyrim. There's only one way to play the game and succeed, and that's being a wizard who can do whatever the fuck he wants. Stealth is garbage dicerolls, Combat consists of pressing, holding and releasing m1, and Magic is literally the only enjoyable thing. The world has the depth of a fucking drop of half an atom, and the quests always involve either talking to someone, killing someone, or being a UPS man. It's terrible if you play it as an action game, and terrible if you play it as an RPG, so why the fuck did they make it an Action-RPG?

Morrowind is still my favorite because the world isn't a massive, procedurally-generated clusterfuck, even though it's has gameplay that's a little more weak, but a man can still dream.

Daggerfall was a dungeon-crawler. You were never meant to go out an explore the overworld like you do in Morrowind. That being said, Morrowind was still intended to be much larger than it ended up being and if it was made to the scale they originally intended, and kept Daggerfall's character-creation, it could have been the end-all RPG.

Welcome to every RPG ever

It's not but it seems that way to faggots whose first sandbox experience was morrowalk.

We all could see that it's bait. Why even respond?

I have over 400 hours on it asshole, and I have it on both xbox and pc. Doesnt change the fact the game's balance is fucking awful and any amount of leveling up breaks it wide open and trivializes any fight or reward you might find randomly

The dialogue was better than Morrowind, some of the quests too, but nah, you're delusional. The controls are horrible (no matter how you defend it), character progression is much more restricted, and the world isn't just as fun to explore. It's a great game on it's own, but these two games just don't compare well.

That would be pretty useless in Morrowind, where levitation is more accessible than in Daggerfall.

Is this a con compared to a game where you can become a master of almost all spell schools just by casting a shit spell over and over in your bedroom?
What a joke.

It's the new hipster thing to hate on Morrowind, a consequence of children growing up and being angry the crap games they had to play aren't held in the same regard as the classics I suppose.

Well, what is it? I genuinely want to know.

Who cares about balance, I just wanna play as a nameless bum who makes his own way into being a god, and you can scroll the difficulty slider anytime.

Even Gothics and M&Ms have better exploration and more memorable places.

Why dont you go make a gothic thread then

Nothing in gothic can even match balmora.

Ok so what are the other big mods that add a lot of content/extra areas besides tamriel rebuilt? What are your favorites? So far tamriel rebuilt is the only one ive played because the base game+the expensions were enough for me all these years

Does t make the game run slower?

No, it still functions like all other areas. It did give me a FPS drop in one area in a town though, I was running it on my ancient laptop at the time so I was expecting at least some areas to be more demanding like the telvanni chamber filled with crystals in sadrith mora

Morrowinds map actually is fairly small in terms of size. The impression of a large size mostly comes from you being unable to run for longer distances / lack of riding mounts, and the fact that the better part of Vvardenfall is covered in labyrinthine cliffs.

Furthermore, many of the dungeons are pointless to explore, especially the Kwama mines.

Because they always die after a dozen posts.

It's one of those things that goes in a cycle. Even Ocarina of Time and Half Life 2 will loved again some day. Just kidding, Half Life 2 will never be good.

Sotha Sil restored is really fucking good. Basically an expansion pack of its own.

By that logic, lockpicking is useless because of how easy it is to get an elkash's locksplitter. I think they actually fix this in the code patch

The point is choice. It isn't even terribly difficult to make a successful build. The charm is simply in the variety of ways you have to accomplish the same goal. I actually really wish they never got rid of door bashing.

I honestly suspect that the fog is part of it.

Morrowind had shit draw distance. You see that mountain out there in the distance? No, you fucking don't. But you can climb it, if you managed to wander over to it.

It makes their dense, medium-sized world seem far bigger than it is, without being tedious. Any direction you go, you won't be far from something interesting, even in the shitty ashlands or the lava corridor bullshit.

Why should I? Op wanted other games that do exploration better than morrowind, I delivered. Are you that buttblasted about people not jerking over your game?

Classics such as?

What did you like about it? Were the dungeons really good or was it the characters and questlines?

I liked the overall design. The clockwork/steampunk world, the Androids (or whatever they are called, has been a while since I played it) and their pneuma, the fight against the Imperfect and Almalexia.

It's dog shit.

Gothic is one of the few games from that time that can rival Morrowind in terms of a detailed world that feels alive and is fun to travel through. Where Morrowind beats Gothic, however, is the fact that so many of the details you come across are not tied to the main story, and a few aren't even tied to any quest whatsoever. The smuggler hideouts, the old Dunmer Strongholds, the underground society of vampires, the clues in books that lead you to hidden treasures, the stories you can uncover everywhere by reading dropped notes and finding dead bodies. This is the kind of thing that is completely lost on people who stick to the quests or who only give it a few hours and never even scratch the surface.

You expect game devs to HAND CRAFT dungeons in current year?

Copy paste is easier.

One thing I loved about Morrowind is that you actually need to BE A THIEF if you want to advance in the Thieves Guild.

This thief's butt will jingle whenever she tries to sneak around.

As someone who has played hundreds of story driven games since 98:

Elder Scrolls lore is really fucking good.

In Morrowind you're really exploring an ancient exotic civilisation.

For storybuilding, I think Morrowind's joinable factions blow Morrowind's MQ to shit. And they are the reason why I still think Morrowind is the best roleplaying video game I have ever played.

See

Retard

Maybe proofread your post before you call someone a retard.

Nice job replying to me twice, retard?

You've said you couldn't find it in the thread but when i hit ctrl-f i find it no problem

I just got the joke.

Yeah, I don't learn game lore or any lore in general most of the time, but Elder Scrolls lore is just amazing. I fucking love Morrowind's story, it's really far-fetched and original. Though not as much as the alien world it's set in. Shame the gameplay doesn't reflect that quality of a lore. I'd had Skyrim in my favorites if the devs weren't that lazy and untalented.

There's a couple of Province mods that is being worked on right now such as Province:Cyrodiil and Skyrim: Home of the Nords. The later seems more promising to be released sooner, so if you don't mind waiting a year then you can explore **a part* of skyrim.
Alternatively, if you're tired of TR content then install some old landmass mods that was released over the years

Builds nigga, what if I wanna be a rogue dude who doesn't into magic?

It's like how lockpicking is useless if you use alteration but some people don't use magic so it works fine. Or to an even greater extent, blunt is useless if you use spears, heavy armor is useless if you use light armor, etc.

Some of the super WIP areas do, like I think there was one city that was way too big and complex that isn't in the main release because of how bad the performance is there.

Just wait for the next TES release, look at how much people loved DaS1 right after DaS3 as opposed to how much they hated it right before DaS3 was released.

Contrarians will hate anything that is widely accepted to be good, but if something in the same series is released they'll turn around and talk about how a previous game was so much better (not that they're wrong, a broken clock is right twice a day).

Then chug some levitation potions, or get some enchanted booties.

Those sure sound magical to me

Big dumb meatheads finding and using magical artifacts they don't understand is the premise of almost all great legends.

Gameplay is shit, like all TES games

Everyone likes to complain about Oblivion fucking up the landscape from the lore (and they are right), but Skyrim is also lore unfriendly on its set up, it wasn't meant to be a fucking Scandinavian dreamland (minus the muslims) for 3/5 of the map.

To the west of Seyda Neen, there's a little cave with a dead forum-goers ashes in it. There's also a ring that gives something like +10 wisdom and intelligence. After getting the gold from the taxman, I always go to get that ring. I only found out about this ring last year. That's one thing I really like about Morrowind, there's always more secret shit to find, read, explore etc.

This is the ring anyway
uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Mentor's_Ring

Fallout 3

F O Y A D A
O
Y
A
D
A

There are three ashes for TES forum members who died during Morrowind's production, see: uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Miscellaneous_Items#Tribute_Items

And the dungeons.
Morrowind's main quest dungeons were alright, but the rest really pale in comparison to Daggerfall's dungeons. If they had Morrowind's overworld, Daggerfall's dungeons, Daggerfall's character creation, and a mix of the two's gameplay elements, it'd be GOAT.

Just because it's use would be diminished by having a skill that works better than it included doesn't mean it should be excluded. It'd give a player multiple ways to approach a problem, meaning they could include more vertical shit and still have, say, a no-magic Barbarian-type character not be excluded.

I'd say a mix of the dungeons. Daggerfall's dungeons all felt incredibly similar and reused areas a lot, but they were complex and interesting by themselves. Morrowind's dungeons were short and simple but they all felt more hand crafted and unique.

So, is Daggerfall worth a try ? I've heard it's very buggy.

All of these games are very buggy, most of them are roughly equal in the bug department but Oblivion is noticeably worse.

If you enjoy the other TES games for their freedom and RPG mechanics (specifically Morrowind) you'll probably enjoy it, but if you like these games for their exploration, art direction, Morrowind's writing, Oblivion's quests, or of course gwafix then you won't like it very much.

Gameplay is probably the best in the series though so that's nice. That doesn't mean that the gameplay is very good, it's just the least shit.

CHIM

Are you seriously this delusional?
You can like whatever turd you want just don't expect others to accept your delusions when you share them.

Why can't more games let me do that? I wanna become a God through hard work and effort.

Breaking morrowind requires no hard work or effort.
You can break it out of sheer accident.

Doing a quick bit of research, Morrowind and Oblivion (the two most stand out games for me in terms of open world games) did not have directors (aka Todd Howard) whereas Skyrim did.

Tesla broke science as we knew it through accident, so why not become a god through accident?

Becoming a god in universe can happen pretty easily since achieving CHIM doesn't require any effort outside of thinking

It's shit though?= 99% of the random dungeons have worthless random shit loot and no lore at all. exploring is pointless, thus mw is a shitty exploration game. along with being a shitty rpg.

the only good thing about it is the main storyline.

None of the 3 retarded mw fanfags can actually respond to this post because it contains too much truth, thus butthurt for them.

Nice try

This just proves you don't know anything about Morrowind.

ye ye fam mentor's ring monica. iz mentioned in a book of legenary items n shhieeet fam. i found it an early playthru messin w/ shit u kno. jus follow dat lil ole beach up outta da town n get yo ass a silvah dagger b4 heddin ova dat way.

das real af mah nycka

niggerposter please just niggerpost on halfchan or reddit or any place that isnt here

So it's a thing ? I liked to think it was just one retard shitposting in every thread he could.

No it's just that one faggot
He namefags in 4am threads
If he keeps trying to push his autistic fetish roleplay just report him

There is no fast travel in Morrowind. Unless you count teleport.

And every dungeon has unique loot.

Anyway after I finally realised how fucking SHIT the writing in Skyrim is and how goddamned SOULLESS and empty I decided never to buy a Bethesda developed game ever again.

Bethesda is as dead as Sotha.

The fuck do you think silt striders are you dumbfuck?

lmao, no such thing

Too lazy.

That's really all there is to it, honestly. To make a good exploration game, there has to be things worth finding, otherwise it's just geometry.

No Man's Sky is prime example of doing it wrong: There's nothing worth finding there because it's all so samey. There's materials you can find anywhere, animals you can find anywhere and don't do anything interesting, maybe an alien-language-word, but you can find those anywhere, and so on.

If you're very careful about how you act and what you do, you can minmax stat multipliers when you level up and create a build that way. This is largely influenced by your primary and secondary skills - your stats associated with those recieve multipliers when you level up.

Notably, you can only increase Luck by 1 point a level, since it has no associated skills.

Not fast travel?

It really is

Yep. Every ruin in Skyrim is literally the same.

Same loot, same enemies, same puzzles.

Amazing that it sold so well in hindsight. I too bought it.

Let's be fair here: Holla Forums likes to accenuate the negative. Skyrim is a incredibly average game that looks good and has decent music (read: The music from the rest of the games, one of the few assets that can be recycled with zero effort, I guess). It's just a faltering, consistently dissapointing buildup of lowered expectations:

And so on, with pretty much everything you encounter. It's a… totally average normal-ass game, which is a fucking shame given the hype and the level of budget and so on.

come back when you acutaly played the best exploration game.

Speak for yourself, fucktard. I never expected anything out of skyrim thus couldn't be disappointed.
It's still a shit, broken game. Not average. Not okay. Shit. Bad.

You haven't played true shit, then.

I firmly believe that most of Holla Forums hasn't played real shitty games, real terrible, absolute gobshite games that hardly even run, have controls that encompass the entire keyboard for basic movement, have z-fighting on half the visible surfaces and no textures on some others, are missing mechanics that are literally advertised, etc.

Like, the bar's at something like 8 for average when it should be 5.

Skyrim's almost exactly at the middle of the road in terms of quality. There's far better games, it's not even that hard to be better. But oh man.

Oh man, there's /way shittier/.

Says who?

Someone who's played actual shit instead of just riding on the Holla Forums negativity train, views things objectively on an entire scale instead of shit/second coming of christ, and can step away from their personal experience and look over the entirety of a game.

Used to be good.

Used to be.

Lotsa assumptions there buddy, I love how you seem to believe yourself to be better than your average Holla Forumsirgin.
Here's the thing: there's a bar and anything under it is shit. Doesn't matter how much stuff is even lower than skyrim, that doesn't make it any better.
Now go ahead, make some more silly assumptions that let you face the day.

Kill yourself Peter Hines.

Funnily enough, for all the shit Fallout 4 gets, it actually fixed most of those problems, and is a few small steps forward from the massive backwards stumble bethesda has been taking for the last decade
It's like they used Skyrim just as a testbed for their engine "upgrades", with Fallout 4 being the real game, which seems awfully ass backwards considering TES is their flagship franchise

Expanded, user. Expanded.

It's bigger than Bloodmoon, has a 3+ hours dungeon crawl and a whole city hub inside of Tamriel where fabricants live. I'd bundle it as an official expansion if I were Bethesda. Shit's that good.

It is certainly expansive and pretty impressive, but it lacks that bit of polish to really make the mod be amazing

Like what?

user please, at best it was detailed, doesn't mean it was very good

It's so fucking good
And I replaced the shitty city music with one of the chill songs from the gemini rue soundtrack, which fit really well with all the side quests where you do detective work

Tightening up the puzzles up a bit, fixed the stupid stair mesh that has stairs on both sides, have an actual journal quest log to keep track of progress, and just more clutter in places where it makes sense. The guys behind it set out to do what they have planned, and they did accomplished just that! But because they stick to complete something and only fix the major and minor bugs, you're let with an impressive mod full of spectacle and impressive visuals, ideas, and places that's been executed, but look too closely in the wrong places and you can't help but think "That looks moddy. This is a mod." which takes you out of the experience

Sure it did, I bet we'll see how "they learned from their mistakes, guys!" in skyrim 2. Or 3.

No, they'll just start the cycle over again
Though they've said they'll wait a while for the next one, and there are rumors that fallout 5 is already in development, so maybe they're flipping it around, and will use fallout as the test game to make TES 6 not as shit as it could be

Fallout 4 isn't even bad, it's only problem is that its story is absolute dogshit when comparing it to New Vegas and the choices are transparent because good or sarcastically good

I'm saying the game isn't, meaning gameplay which tell me how its gameplay sucks

protip you can't because its shooting is genuinely fun and interesting, as for the map and story it's pretty shit. Good thing there's a modding community for it though so whatevs

It's not as if any bethesda game has been good without mods in the first place

why do people enjoy this crap in games that arent designed around it?

Kill yourself.

Have you ever played Serious Sam? DOOM? EYE? That's good shooting.
Back to reddit.

are you serious?

Wow nice strawman, because there's better games doesn't mean that this one isn't bad, faggot

Fallout 4 has bad shooting. Being better than NuFallout: 3D Abomination means very little.

Saying it's bad doesn't mean anything if it has no substance.

You're literally shitting on it to shit on it, Fallout 4 isn't a bad game from a technical stand point, the only problems with the game is shitty textures, story, and a downgrade from the previous games karma/choice system, you know not gameplay mechanics but role playing ones. Literally no one except the dolts of Holla Forums will argue that Fallout 4 has shitty gameplay, why because it doesn't

No, it is bad. In all aspects.

Guns feel floaty, enemies are bullet sponges and there's no depth and strategy to the shooting.

Who are you quoting?

Morrowind is an ugly buggy piece of shit that plays like stilts in quicksand. All you ever hear is muh map and muh lore. The entire map is just thin corridors into towns with haphazard ass dungeon placement and the lore is something you could get out of any classic fantasy novel.

Not even mods can fix it.

The only people who enjoy this are people who have reentry vehicle plating thick nostalgia goggles.

Yes, I played it when I was young and I didn't enjoy it then either

Morrowind is for people too dumb for tabletop games and have too much braindeath for any real action game.

The only reason anyone posts threads about it is to suck bethesda's dick and at the same time not seem uncool to Holla Forums

Sounds like you're using the shitty lead pipe guns, and you're increasing the difficulty which is made for just bullet sponges, don't worry user there's mods to fix those artificial difficulty settings

Don't tell me you hate morrowind when you repeatedly stab a guy in the face 10 times and he's not even phased because you're swords isn't high enough level

Every time.

That's because Morrowind is a classical cRPG, while Fallout 4 is an action game.

to be fair an appealing setting can make or break a game as long as you can tolerate the rest. although its not as if "the rest" matters, since apparently the biggest nostalgia boner fuel is how hard you can break the game.

Dude, these games objectively have subpar shooting. At least pick STALKER CoP, FEAR, ARMA, or anything but those 3 games. Hell, even Goldeneye and Medal of Honor from PS1 have better gunplay than those 3. No offense to goldeneye and moh though, they're legitimately great and would age like wine if the framerate wasn't such an ass.

Whatever, I just want to play walking simulator with crazy upgrades.

Amazing tricks.

SS2 >>> episode 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>> SS1

What is he doing

Fallout 4 (and Skyrim) is bad on a technical level due to their engine. Both games break in various ways when you unlock the framerate. Of the top of my head, I recall Skyrim having weird de-synchronization issues with sound and arrows that don't leave the bow until over a second after letting go of the button. Fallout 4's game speed is tied to framerate, so your game speed can vary widely depending on render load. The new scripting system used since Skyrim is inherently laggier and more problematic than whatever was used in previous games. Both of these games feel pretty horrible to play from a control/latency point of view and no amount of mods will fix these core problems.

Good shooting is the kind that is mechanically consistent in universe and facilitates good gameplay. Stalker also has good shooting, but only games you're mentioning are MUH REALISM, which is misguided and completely misses the point. Another lesser point about good shooting is that it feels good and fits the setting and atmosphere.

One half of shitposters tell Morrowind is crap because they can't hit anything and die. The other half calls it a walking simulator. Pick one because this way there's no reason to answer your arguments.

I'll break the news to you. Neo Holla Forums loves Morrowind even though it played it only after Skyrim came out. Therefore there can be no nostalgia.

Who is this Holla Forums guy?

A guy who baited you with a buzzword. And also played Morrowind only after Oblivion came out and loved it.

Wow, what an ancient history.

I'm sure there are quite some anons who played morrowind years after release but neo Holla Forums is actively shitting on morrowind ITT. We used to have stellar MW threads, of course there were plenty of anons who didnt like MW but we still had good thread without people going "lul MW is shit".

The point is it's not nostalgia and that I got into RPGs only after the casualization started. The people shitposting in threads like this against MW are mostly non RPG players that love the new "action adventure" genre and actively try to rewrite history that Bethesda never did anything good.

it might as well be labeled nostalgia when youre only playing something because its "retro" and youre dissatisfied with modern video games.

Tough shit, look at op's post. Morrofags thinking they have some sort of high ground when it comes to quality is a sad tale and you're wondering why people are treating you like pretentious fags?
Ooh, look at me, morrowind was my first sandbox game because I played it on my xbawks.
No, I have no idea what's Ultima, Wizardry or Might & Magic but have you heard of Morrowind, it's easily the greatest thing ever!

That's you, faggots.

I'm not dissatisfied with modern games. I spent 200 hours only on Endless Legend this year. Others too, but no need to list everything.

Or you bring actual arguments as to why other games are better in exploration, you seem to have a huge hate boner for morrowind though. 20 fucking posts in a thread about a game you dont like

my bad for hte poor phrasing, its not directed at you specifically. people can like morrowind for all kinds of reasons.

Already did, maybe you should try harder than simply looking at post count.

Just saying "nu-uh" isnt an argument, you have done nothing but shitpost in this thread.

True.
Just like saying "it so is" isn't.

also

If you played morrowind only recently and you're defending it you're some special kind of retarded.

Stop liking things just because other people like them

Sometimes people like things because they're retarded and you're going to look just as if not even more retarded

Oh wait, he spent 200 hours on a hex game.

You really are a no taste retard
You're also retarded for thinking that a turn based hex game is ANYTHING modern

well this is getting a bit meta. how about we post other games where exploring is fun since thats at least relevant to the op?

sacred and sacred 2 arent games id call fantastic by any means but the maps arent small by any means and theres always something interesting to find.

Or, we could just let the same shitty thread sucking off a game that aged like milk that we have 3 times a week return to the abyss where it belongs.

Why ?

fair enough, but it would send the same message to the op while maybe giving anons something to play

It's the metaphysics and theology of The Elder Scrolls that's impressive. That's what people mean when they say that the series has good lore. And they're right.

Pop Skyrim into your PS4, wait for mom to finish making your grilled cheese, and stop being so assblasted at the adults.

I enjoyed Oblivion more.

Heh, cute.
Bethesda is square of the west and morrowind is their ff7.

They wouldn't know that when the most they've looked into it is the main story of Skyrim and maybe stealing Fargoth's ring in Morrowind.

Im fucking plying, I found it fair and square. It's a shit ring anyway but fargoth deserved getting bullied and losing his ring

Come on.
COME ON.

FARGOTH IS FOR HELP NOT FOR BULLY

Bosmer are degenerate, Fargoth deserves everything that happens to him.

Your loss, dumbfuck. I reached level 15 as a boxer in the same time it took me to hit level 4 as a sword-and-board soldier.

You do it so she'll give you a good price for the limeware platter.
No, it just feels sweeter to betray his misplaced trust in you that way.

Do you take me for a thief? Even if I was a thief I wouldnt use that trick

Yes, but Todd Howard was admittedly the most active member in the whole team. He spearheaded the project, designed the engine, wrote quite large portions of the lore, designed a bunch of quests, involved in bug testing, maybe down to choosing the voice actors and music. That was when Todd wasn't a producer who does jackshit but overseeing the project and promoting his games.

I have played those games. Ultima 7, Wizardry 9, M&M 8, none of them is nearly as immersive as Morrowind. Ultima 7 was pretty good, but Ultima's lore is pretty bad in comparison with Morrowind.

Okay buddy.

Cover blown

Skyrims landscape definitely wouldn't qualify as Scandinavian.

8. I can't really remember a game that I only played for 15 minutes.

My, how could I have ever doubted your expertise.

Are you deliberately trying to undermine your point?

Liking one product over another, having tried both, is hardly nostalgiafaggotry.

You's a good boi isn't you?

Ayo deez impeerialz b hatin, I jus needed mo money fo dem pograms

kek

Real talk.
I just can't get past the clunky controls, and PS1-tier graphics. And they aren't even good PS1 graphics, they're like the "we tried way to hard to make textures way to detailed but it ends up scaled way the fuck down and looks like a blocky mess" PS1 style graphics.

I can deal with the dice roll mechanics and not much voice acting and stuff. But the rest is annoying and I always quit playing after a couple hours.

Also, the text. My god, the text. Is there any way to increase text size or mod in a different font on the PC version? Shit has me squinting like Mr. Magoo.

In what way are Morrowind's controls clunky? Also you do know that controls can be set right?

There are high-resolution text mods on Nexus. And it won't fix the graphics, but there are ones like Better Bodies and Better Faces to make the characters look less blocky.

They're not that bad.

Keep in mind that your character will always feel slow as fuck in the start unless you have a specific build, this might add to what you feel is clunkyness

Go away Todd.

The controls are easy enough to handle, but if you're having trouble? I'd legit recommend using xinput to map a controller.

You can upscale the textures, and I'm preety sure that there's even a mod to increasce the font size.Not doing the ol' mods will fix it thing, just these are really specific complaints I haven't heard about this too much.

Ps1 graphics though, dude the ps1 was not capable of doing areas that big with that much terrain variation. It looks like what it is. An older pc game.

Even when it came out I thought it looked like shit, fuck man do you really think graphics was the selling point of Morrowind? Aesthetically it was interesting but it was fucking ugly so I wasn't expecting Skyrim to look particularly good and lo and behold even the snow was garbage. Heavily modded it looks great, but holy shit m8 never assume graphics was why I wanted to play Skyrim.

Except they didn't with the exception of how polished the combat is none of the sides are meaningful to choose in Fallout 4, you can create ridiculously powerful stuff but things still scale and you have random damage sponges that could happen at any moment making your guns look like shitty ass peashooters, the power armor you can get is basically a mod ripped right out of the Mod community with some polish slapped on of course this is the best part of the game, and finally the story is so shit that it can be spoiled in one sentence and they retroactively try to hype up some chump you killed early in the game as some badass and that you're badass for doing that thing that you don't even care about because he was just some chump.

You can be locked out of the factions based on your decisions
That's more than Skyrim or Oblivion did

That's probably part of my problem then.

The amount of terrain and variation is really the only difference, and that's only because it's on PC. Otherwise, it's the same low poly fuzzy mess that PS1 games were.

I'll check out the mods and see if I can make it more bearable.

I've been wanting to play it for years, if nothing else for the lore, but it's rough to get into. It hasn't aged well. I'd like to try Daggerfall, too, but that's a whole other clusterfuck.

en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Races

Looks like "weight" also has a factor on speed, as well; perhaps Orc is actually the fastest?

Remember to keep your fatigue up in combat and try to have high related attributes for your combat skills. This will improve your hit chance.

I don't even remember what I played as last time, It's been a while.

Yeah, one of the first times I ever played Morrowind, I wanted an archer character. So I picked Marksman, then ran out of fucking arrows and had to use a dagger. Couldn't hit shit.

If you won't play Morrowind because of the graphics, you're not going to be able to handle Daggerfall.

It must be truly amusing to have low standards. You can enjoy mediocre shit like a child exploring new things.

Please refrain from stating things if your opinion is not refined, you fucking Toddcocksucking bethesdafag.

He said the lore is good, you dunce, and it is.

Where the fuck are those quads?

Apparently I'm retarded.

Doom is different, they were supernatural demons. Notice the undead human enemies were weak and died quickly.

Thanks for the _dubs doc

nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/36873/?

There are shit tons of mods for morrowind. Even a "one size fits all none" graphics pack known as morrowind graphics overhaul.

So is Arktwend recommendable?

Holla Forums i never played morrowind
should i download OpenMW and play it?

Somehow I just know you were under the age of 12 when Morrowind came out.

It was a shit game.

okay so i downloaded openmw and i'm playing it

You don't even need to level up if you use magic.

If you want to be cheap, you can sell his gear for a bunch of gold.

currently i'm running around people's houses killing them

Just play vanilla for your first time.

Yes, OpenMW is objectively better. There is little to no difference in gameplay.

Why are all Elder Scrolls games still inferior to Might and Magic 6 and 7 in terms of gameplay and exploration?

What's a solid set of graphical mods I can give my pleb friend to get him to play the game?

That armor is actually pretty good in the beginning. A better option for him is to wait for the next one to show up and sell the old armor

Objectively, no.

Only if you're an RPG autist.

M&M 6 has awful gameplay. Take off the nostalgia goggles and go through Castle Darkmoor again and see what you think today.

Imagine if Morrowind was remade in an current year engine

Imagine current year devs remaking it. Maybe the engine being old and shit is fine.

It would just be generic boring shit because of "system limitations"

okay so this game does some cool shit

That it's fucking tough and I want beholders to die, not that it's worse than morrowind, fam.

Have to disagree, Daggerfall is a lot more visually consistent to me.

laser eye surgery you blind fuck

actually fug
fug how does a poorfag with the atronach sign get a magic boost? preferrably near the starter town

Join the mage guild, lots of free potions in the supply chests.

Join the Imperial Cult and the Temple. Then you can do either Restore Attributes (Imperial) or Almsivi Restoration (Temple) for 5 gold, both of which fully restore your Magicka. Once you have a few ranks, they become completely free. Get a couple of enchanted items with Divine Intervention and Almsivi Intervention on them when you can.

There's nothing tough about it as there's no way to clear the area effectively without abusing beacon. It's just a slog, no challenge at all.

OpenMW is more or less equivalent to the vanilla engine. It still has one or two minor bugs but it fixes a few vanilla bugs. Also it has nice features like pre-loading cells so every transition is seamless.

(checked)
I actually thought Daggerfall was easier to get into than Morrowind. No bully plz

play as altmer atronachalso known as glass cannon, then you will never run out of magicka

Is there a restore magicka effect? I like low powered strange spells to make things more interesting, like a regen effect for 30s or whatever to help out in combat

Not unless you mod it in. There's scrolls that will restore your magicka, but no actual restore magicka spells to my knowledge.

well no, but you have so much magicka, that you practically will never run out of it in inconvenient time.

tho' you should be avare that you will die very easily as altmer atronach unless you're careful