Can we have a thread for secret techniques...

Can we have a thread for secret techniques? Mechanics put into games that are never explicitly told to the player and might not even be especially useful, but are cool nonetheless?

Do mechanics that are technically glitches count? If so, then roll-cancels break this game.

In Metal Gear Rising just tapping the blade mode button and releasing it quickly acts as a super fast animation cancel.
Also as Sam you can press the AR buttons used for Raiden's controls scheme to unsheath or sheath the blade. Thing is while unsheathed if you're walking with it Sam walks exactly like he does in the start of his fight during the prologue.

Also with Sam you do slightly more damage if you release your charge when the red circle effect hits the top of the hilt, compared to just charging and that's it.

MMBN3 has a FUCKTON

SMT: Strange Journey

Orcus is a boss that will summon a weaker demon to his side, and on his next turn he'll eat it to regain a bunch of health. Normally, Orcus is immune to status effects, but after he eats the demon he'll gain whatever ailment the demon has, and he'll keep it for the rest of the fight.

Forgot pic, not that it matters too much

The grapple hook in Lost Planet can be used as more than just a wall climbing tool. By cancelling the grapple at the last moment you can skip the whole wall kick animation which turns it into a general purpose movement tool.

There's also the ability to shoot grenades to detonate them for more damage and a larger blast radius.

Another SMT trick is that talking to a demon that you already have causes it to say that it can't join you, and it will either give you something and end the battle, or just end the battle. This allows you to escape 100% from a battle that you don't think you can win unless the moon phase is full.

Doing a backflip mid-air boosts your movement similar to a double-jump.

It's not that big a secret thogh since it's spawned a lot of maps for dexterity training.

Here are a few more examples of battlechips with hidden abilities.

Rocketing yourself in serious sam causes you to jump higher at the cost of some health. Some secrets can only be reached this way.

Disgusting.

In GTA 3 there is an NPC that randomly mugs people, if you target him with your weapon set controls to classic if on you're PC he will drop the cash he just stole.
Also in the original PS2 version of GTA 3 you can reset radio stations by pausing the game then unpausing & immediately mashing X as the pause screen fades back to the game.

What makes mashing X change anything? Also, couldn't you do the same thing by getting out of a car then getting back in?

in dark souls 1 you can roll while sprinting by holding block while running, if you don't hold block you jump

Go back to bed Sakurai

MMBN3 is just the gift that keeps on giving. Is there anyway to make this game better?

Idk it's a weird quirks of the PS2 version as that's the only version that has a quick unpause animation where you have enough time where you can press X & it just so happens to reset the station back to track 1, in comparison to the PC, Xbox, & Mobile versions where it unpauses instantly.

OP here, got a few more

in mgs3 there was a controller function to open a door a little bit and peek through it in first person

i don't think there is any zone where it's useful but its there

In MGS3 the Desert DPM camo doesn't degrade suppressors. You can use them infinitely with that camo equipped.

If they do then combos in both Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat count.

Doom 1-2 (DOS):
strafe running
wall running
bfg muting
180° shotgun blast in the back

Quake 1-3:
strafe running
air stearing
rocket jumping

Quake 1-2 CTF:
grapple hook map traversal

A lot of the movement tricks in Doom and Quake were actually unintentional to the point where the devs considered removing them. I'm not sure that counts as a hidden technique.

Nobody has ever played this game, and it's probably definitely an exploit, but:
In Theocracy (strategy game from 2000) if you attacked the Demon King's province with a group of peasants it made you fail the mission for it because they are fucking cowards. Then if you attacked again, this time with a huge army, the game sent you into a standard battlefield rather than the mission and given that the Demon King is not categorized as proper military unit in the game and his minions were only 30 against your 300, they forfeit immediately.
In a standard case those units would be demoted to slaves, but the demons didn't have that function implemented meaning you got them as soldiers to your army.
Steamrollling Central America with all its tribes using my invincible demon army was fun as Hell

Missed:
Plasma, BFG and and grenade jumps

also com_maxfps 125 and 333 giving you awesome floaty air physics and the ability to jump to places you weren't originally supposed to.

The bomb-jump in Metroid, this shit was the first time I learned how to skip a huge part of the game by my own and I used to actually speed-run Zero Mission before knowing what a speedrun was.

In mgs3 the exit for the pich dark cave can be reached by taking out the torch and watch where he wind blow the flame out

In mgs2 you could shoot a glass of water and until Ice cubes will slowly melt away

In mgs4 if you roll more than 5 times consecutive, snake will have back pain for being old and drop a little the psych

Pandora's Tower

> Be good to Elena . . .

I can't remember if Wild Arms 3 or ACF ever made it real clear ingame how Finest Arts works (aside from the description for the Violator indicating it allows for that), but it's a really cool ability, especially if you're doing it with the right character. In Wild Arms 3 it's at its most pricy/broken (later games tried to rework/rebalance it), requiring the character to have Violator set on one of their Mediums beforehand (and the PS Points dumped into it to activate), acquire 100 Force in battle, have no ammo left in their ARM, and then attempt to use the Gatling command with an empty gun. The result consumes every last bit of Force (sending to character from 100 to 0), but results in a five hit attack where the first four hits do a respectable amount of damage, but the last hit does about 1000 x [Character level] in damage.

Also, from the same game, during fights with the Schrodingers, you can use a fire gem or fire elemental arcana on Todd, or just sick Moor Gault on the entire enemy group, and Todd's afro will catch on fire from it, giving him a damage per turn effect for the rest of the battle.

I've been meaning to play that sometime, but never bothered to pick up a copy of it since I heard rumor the US release was bugged.

Castlevania, mostly SotN:
You can attack in the air and again as soon as you landed. You can then backdash and cancle the backdash with yet another attack.
This allows you to hit the enemy three times in a very short time, dealing with three hit enemies quickly.

These empowered attacks are never stated in the actual game, as far as I remember.

It's one of the towers near the end of the game, and there are a few workarounds for it.

Still bizarre how it only affects the NA release and not the previous regions versions though.

If you get hit by the poisonous breath attacks of cursed dragons in Dragon's Dogma, all of the food in your inventory will become rotten.

Along those lines, if you wait for apples or grapes to become moldy (but not rotten) and combine them with water you can make wine, which is a very good healing item because of how weight efficient it is.

I've played over a thousand hours of DaS1 and I did not know this, thanks!

It works on most but not all grab attacks. The rule seems to be if you get damaged multiple times during the grab then it will work, but if it's like Gwyn or 4kings and you take a burst of damage then get released then it will not work.

Devil May Cry 3 lets you combo the Stinger into the Million Stab if you mash attack.

There weren't. It blew my mind when I discovered these on the internet years later.

You can hear through doors in Thief by leaning into them. I learned this on the second to last level of Thief 2.

I want to fuck that fish girl

i remember finding that out

good times

Yeah, I did that in Metroid 1 to get the first energy tank, get the ice beam sooner, and a bunch of other shit. There's a particular rhythm to each Metroid game's infinite bomb jumping. The suitless section of Zero Mission always makes me quit playing it.

Twisted Metal 2 had them as well, but instead of using your pickup weapons, they would use your energy meter (not health). The Minion gun was hax when you knew the command.

In Battlefield 2142, when you unlock the underbarrel grenade launcher for the assault class, you can set its detonation distance with the mouse wheel while targeting through the scope of your rifle. Great for popping people hiding behind cover.

Deadly in real life, too.

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
You can use the bow and the bomb simultaneously, and shoot exploding arrows, but that's an old strategy everybody and their dog knew.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
You can deflect Agahnim's magic attacks (except for lightning) with the bug net. Smashing frozen enemies with the hammer will net you magic. Using powder on bubbles (the ricocheting skulls in dungeons) will turn them into fairies.

Boringlands: The DLCquel
Using any melee boost shield with Jack will MULTIPLY the attack power of your holo-duplicates if you have the You Have My Shield skill. To explain, normally a shield that amplifies your melee damage does so while the shield is depleted, until it begins to recharge. This boost is additive for your character. The bug with Jack's duplicates is that their shooting attacks are counted as melee attacks, and when their copies of your shield are depleted, their attacks are MULTIPLIED by the amp value. With a legendary melee shield, they start dealing millions, or even billions of damage per attack, even at low levels. Jack is completely fucking broken in the game with this knowledge. Just pop your duplicates and take cover.

I wish more games simulated that. Falling into water from a big height is actually more deadly than falling onto the ground.

People would bitch that it's "unrealistic" and sabotage the sales of the game, despite the fact that what they're saying is wrong. See pretty much all of the leftist bullshit on social networking. This is why games get more and more casual, dropping what made them amazing, to make them easy for the retard masses who are just waiting for something to hurt their feelings.

It was neat too since in Vivec you would have to parkour to the sides which are sloped and then take a dive. You would take less damage this way and not drown from being insane.

Did you know if you hold the interact button down in Fallout games, you keep drinking water?

This literally depends on the kind of game you're playing and depends on whether you want fun or realism

Isnt bomb/arrow trick required to break a hidden wall in Turtle Rock?

Pretty much everything in Monster Hunter is a secret mechanic. MH4's Charge Blade's guard points come to mind.

I haven't played since the game was still being sold in stores, so I don't really recall. Anywho, saved from page 14.

Pokemon always had some move combos that weren't ever explicitly stated in the games except in Stadium, like Defense Curl + Rollout or using Stomp on something that used Minimize.