Friendly reminder this is the closes we will ever get to a remake of Silent hill 2 in the Fox Engine

Friendly reminder this is the closes we will ever get to a remake of Silent hill 2 in the Fox Engine
double reminder this is probably the last silent hill game to ever be released

It's not like they were ever going to be good again, so why even give a fuck.

i can't help but to be find it fascinating how Konami waste the potential of such a power game engine they spent millions developing.

Stop being retarded, if they made a remake it would be dumbed-down to hell and back twice, in both gameplay and story. God knows if they'd be able to recreate the tone at all. And of course the man who "loves Silent Hill more than you do" would wriggle his way into it somehow.

The Fox Engine has no special potential to waste, they still use the Fox Engine for PES so the money spent has clearly not been wasted I'm honestly sick of this Fox Engine being good meme, it's decent, it's as good as any internal engine or any licenced engine that isn't ultra flexible through scripting extensions, you fell for the marketing ploy that was Fox Engine.

MGS3 HD would have been nice, they could have made it without Kojima since the only new content that would need to be added would be rebuilding the game world into an open world space, depending on how they handled that is where the game would have fallen apart or succeeded as a remake.

These Pachi Cabs are pretty unpopular too, I went to 7 Pachi Places in Akihabara a week ago and didn't find any.

etc

Why. Why do you want more Comic Sans

To be honest I actually have trouble seeing the real difference between well stylised late-gen PS2 games and modern ones. Hell I think late-gen PS2 actually looks better than early-gen 360 and PS3 games if not only for the fact that they abused brown and bloom less.

SH2/3 and parts of 4 look incredible still, especially on high resolutions. The only issue is that some of the textures start to show their age as you crank up the rest.

Shattered Memories was one silver lining on the stormcloud. Showed that some game dev teams do "get" Silent Hill better than others.

The difference is pretty much the same as the difference between fans. Some fans understand SH is all about the atmosphere and the psychological horror and that specific feeling is the most important part in a Silent Hill game.

Then theres fans who think Silent Hill is about nurses, Pyramid Heads and bloody walls. Those fans are the reason the movies and the shitty games happened. SilentHillHeaven was a fan forum who is most responsible for contributing to the shittiness of the second film, because that forum was filled with "fans" who thought Pyramid Head is the single most important thing in the franchise.

If theres ever going to be a new Silent Hill game, most likely it will be a psychological horror project with a different name first, then with Silent Hill-tag added in for increased sales and hype. And hey, if the new idea for a horror game is good and most importantly is SCARY and has proper atmosphere building to it, its fine.

I was excited about that tech demo that got cancelled.

It's too bad this slant company hates money. Must be the residual radiation from the bombs that's turned them all retarded.

user, don't remind me. There are bad movies and then there are BAD movies. SH Revelations is of the latter. I also don't mind the first despite some bad writing/acting. The cinematography/FX are spot on.

were the pc ports of 2 and 3 any good?
i never finished 2 it was too spooky

The silent hill threads usually had the inforgraph that showed all the changes.

The PC port of 2 is really good and I mean it.
The PC port of 4 is shit.
I dont know about 3's PC port.

Too bad those fans fail to understand how paper-thin the atmosphere and psychology in Shattered Memories is and have a huge victim complex about their bad taste.

3's is fine and probably close to 2 in quality if not better as far as I'm concerned. There was some bad screen tearing and a few bugs here and there but that's about it.

4 always ran great for me except for the cutscenes that are locked at a godawful frame rate for god knows what reason.

I finished PC ports of 2 and 3 and played console versions of them a little just this month. If you want I can list the bugs, etc I encountered in them

3's port is the best out of them all, really quite impressive. 2 has problems on newer setups, but is otherwise fine.

Go for it.
I'd like to know how good they are in comparison.

Okay. Going from memory
Silent Hill 2
PC
Flashlight:
-When you have an object,people or person behind you, flashlight also lights them,without the flashlight effect. See first pic, even though that woman is behind me she's shining bright like a sun because I have my flashlight on
-If you have a wall behind you, flashlight lights it too, with effect this time. Second pic
-Light of your flashlight goes right through walls and lightens the wall behind them too. Third pic
This does ruin immersion/atmosphere a little. Some places are supposed to be scary because they're dark but James has his 360 bright 7/24 because of this bug, but nothing gamebreaking. I think none of this exist in emulated version, I played it a little and haven't noticed this yet

Sounds
-Gun sounds were absolutely broken for me. I didn't use guns except for boss fights(And even then I used guns for like half of them, for the rest I went melee) so this wasn't much of a problem
-When monsters walk on water, they make really weird Pacman-like noises
I heard this was because of 60 FPS patch I used, I'm not sure is it true and is there a fix for this

Shadows: Models are fine but shadows look like they're from PS1 models. I could post a pic of this but it contains spoilers so I'll not. Probably exists in PS2 version too and is probably a game thing rather than a bug

I don't know what this is called but I assume this exist for lots of games. Because this game wasn't made for really big screens, when you play on high resolutions you see things that you're not supposed to see. Like a character that isn't supposed to enter a scene for some time just stands there unanimated, or originally the game focuses on room, but now you can see the outside of the room as completely black. In my 1360*768 monitor this problem existed only twice IIRC, nothing gamebreaking

Fog: Fog is really bad compared to PS2 version. Like after emulating it, PC version felt like it didn't have any fog at all. I'll post pics proving this in another post most likely

PCSX2:
FMV cutscenes are broken but you can easily fix them by going to software so this is not really a problem. The problem is if you play them on high resolution they'll be stretched as fuck and to my knowledge you can't fix this

Also PCSX2 version has the advantage of save states. If you're going for good ranking in the end they're much more useful than quicksaves.

Unless I forgot something this should be it

Why do you want a remake?

Good. It's time to let go.

Who cares when you can just play the actual game?

It doesn't even exist anymore.

The second Silent Hill movie was alright. It was 80% references and fanservice.

Forgot one thing, you can't turn off the grain effect in first play in PCSX2. This was the reason why I dropped it. I don't have the effect, but fuck playing a whole game with it

The way SH4 did this was perfect imo. You can disable it from the start if you want, but even when disabled you get the effect during transitions, I liked this, though I think this doesn't exist in its PC version

I guess it would be better to use webms to show the difference between fogs, but when I record videos with fraps they're just too big

You're playing the Director's Cut, which has the same (inferior) noise effect as the PC version.

The PC graphics actually look worse, wow.

I'd say "never trust a jap to make PC games", but honestly after DMC4 a lot of good ports have come out of the companies that actually cared to make their games multiplat from the start.

I guess don't trust old ports of Jap games?

Good enough.

Here OP, have some OC I made just for you.

Many if not all PS2 ports were garbage, and games from that period generally don't hold up well on modern machines.

A few more pics if you feel like comparing, not exactly the same scenes though. When I actually finish emulated SH2 I should have much more

I'd be happier if it didn't have any actually. I don't care much if it's only the noise effect

Honestly I don't really care much about the difference between these. Noise filter didn't bother me when playing the first time and one of the latter playthroughs I didn't have it. It just didn't affect me whether it was there or not.

Now the HD version for consoles…

Maybe if certain overrated game director wouldn't have wasted a shit ton of money on a half finished game and a teaser for the concept of a game they could be able to do it.

I like the noise effect, but I can see why people wouldn't like it.

I'm still baffled at how badly the HD collection turned out, considering the MGS one was alright. Why didn't Konami hire the same guys to do the Silent Hill one, I wonder?

Because for one remaster the original creator was still overseeing it, and for the other remaster none of the original team were even near it aside from possibly Yamaoka who doesn't give two fucks.

Good point.

Actually, I like this version better.

So is there any substantial proof that Konami is just a yakuza money laundering business and any actual good game made by them is 100% fluke they don't give a shit about anyways?

Wanting a silent hill 2 remake.
Um
Why? Thats an honest question. Silent Hill 2 has aesthetics that are nearly untouchable to this day. It'd be like doing an HD re-release of Jet Set Radio but bumping up the texture quality and ruining the style. The presentation of a Silent hill 2 done today would be interesting to see, but that'd age significantly worse than Silent Hill 2's old ps2 era graphics which have aged so badly they actually contribute to the style of the game.

This hurts to watch.

Owned 2-4 on PC ever since they got launched. Obvious 4:3 aspects that you have to fix aside, port quality can vary a lot:

Typical wonky pc port for the time. Controls fine, only couple of effects missing from PS2 that you wont really notice. Now the problems are the game is dead-set on working with one core only, so the game starts crashing and acting weird immediatly unless you limit to work on one CPU at a time.

With older machines, common problems were delay in audio in cutscenes and input lag in the inventory and menus in some systems.

Best port out of all of them, might also have input lag in menus and for some reason gamepad inputs do not translate to menus and inventory sometimes. Otherwise decent port that comes with decent preset WASD-controls too. You can upscale the render resolution to ridiculous levels for some reason.

Silent Hill 4: Cutscenes locked in 12 fps, getting a proper resolution can be a pain in the ass even with aspect ratio fixes. Can sometimes have inexplicable FPS drops. Out of three of them, hardest to get working right nowadays.

Honestly all that's really changed is lighting and textures. Polygon counts, due to diminishing returns, are barely any better.
Also I've heard once or twice that the Ps2 had some weird fucking architecture that allowed it to render surprisingly good lighting for the time.
The funniest thing is that the "HD" remakes still look worse than the originals even after patching.

the HD versions are hilariously bad, so much so you have to wonder who signed off on them. Whether it's the voice acting or graphical downgrades, they were really asking a lot for a fanbase as autistic and thirsty as SH to pick it up without doing any research first when we've had the HD pc versions for plenty of years beforehand.

hitler

ty
just started 3 and it's working perfectly so far

You can turn off the grain effect on PS2 once you complete the game. I've played the 'definitive' emulated console version, which is the 'Greatest Hits'. Also known as; 'Restless Dreams'.

The case with Silent Hills was that they deleted the files but they still had some Beta files

This looks better than phantom pain to.

The problem with Silent Hill fans in general, is that most are a bunch of pretentious faggots who think their beloved franchise did something special.

Its just a generic survival horror game, which took clues about how to be scary from certain kinds of movies.

And it has gone to shit, because instead of developing something new, the sequels just try to copy the content of the first games.

oh Holla Forums

No mate, you are just retarded

Holy shit I just found out something, you can block in Silent Hill 2. I think you have to have a weapon on, and press run+backwards to block. I don't know do you have to be in combat stance or not, but I found it while I was running from nurses so I assume you have to be not in the combat stance

I finished this game once on PC and am on the nightmare hospital right now on emulated and I just learned this