Silent Hill

Is this game any good? I often hear people say every Silent Hill except for the first four are shit, but sometimes this game gets mentioned as good too

I'm down.

Anyways, I think it's fine. The ending is what a lot of people remember it for and what saves the game from being totally forgettable.

Shattered memories is a good game despite having only fleeing sections as gameplay. That's the shortest way of describing the game, but let me tell you a bit more. It's basically a walking simulator with the wiimote as your flashlight, but this alone gives a great atmosphere to the game even when you know damn well the actual danger is relegated to a few moments. There isn't a second of playing shattered memories where you won't think "if fucking only there was classic SH combat in this". I haven't even touched on the psychoanalysis aspect the game is known for, but for having tested it out, it's more of a replay value thing than a truly effective psychological horror tool. I'm an unrepentent alcoholic and never had this trait until I read online how to get it and actively sought it out.

2=1>Shatered>4=Homecoming>>>>>>>>>3

This is the only correct opinion, believe on Holla Forums faggots at your own risk

It's not a bad game it's just a bad remake

Like I honestly think it would've been better if they made their own story rather than piggyback on the original game.

I think a lot of people are inclined to forgive it mostly because it was probably the least garbage of all of the post Team Silent games.

Game is worth it just for the ending.

You tell me

The ending is clever and stupid at the same time

also the game fucks up by giving you a HUGE clue when the spooks are going to happen, so once you figure out the trigger the game stops being scary and it becomes a walkathon until it happens

otherwise I had fun with it, finished it in a single sitting

It's a walking simulator.

It's an ok game. Has nothing to do with Silent Hill except the title. You have to play it with the Wiimote otherwise it looses a lot of it's charm

It isn't supposed to be a remake. I think it is an interesting way to reimagine the first game without totally fucking up canon.
Is there any other game where you think this treatment would be fun?

Its an okay walking sim with not much horror, an okay story, and a really good set of endings.

Yeah sure

Yes I'm aware that the game tried to have it's cake and eat it too. The problem is that it's held back by how poorly it tries to reimagine SH1's story.

Like bare in mind, if the game lacked the twist ending. Nobody here would defend it at all. The first 3/4ths of the game are just a less interesting version of SH1, and the twist ending is the only saving grace.

Anyway canon is something I think Silent Hill just shouldn't have. It's a surrealistic Twilight Zone esque place that people just disappear into. It's one reason I was disappointed that we now have three different incarnations of Harry Mason (the first game, Shattered Memories and the female version from the film adaptation) when the strength of such a premise would be to have all sorts of characters enter it.

Its not a bad game, and its the best of the non Team Silent games. It has a lot of polish and is one of the best looking Wii games. However it has issues that hold it back, namely the linearity, the preschooler-tier puzzles, it isnt particularly scary, and the chase sequences are underwhelming. But it is at least worth a shot, which more than can be said for something like Downpour.

Whats the ending everyone is talking about?

At the end of the game it reveals that the protagonist Harry Mason is actually dead. And you've been playing as a hallucination in the mind of his daughter. And that you've actually been controlling her during the segments where you talk to the psychiatrist. At the very end of the game Harry enters the room and his daughter is told she needs to come to grips with her father's death

If they would have given some light combat, different enemy types, and bosses I think most of the gripes could be forgiven. The running mechanic felt good and intense the first time around…

I don't have a console, the only reason I was interested in this is that it is one of the emulatable(?) games except for the 4 main ones, along with Origins. But pretty much everything I hear about Origins is shit so I don't care about that game

If anyone's wondering, the emulation is completely ass for this game in PCSX2. It's extremely bugged in any setting I tried so I gave up on that. Downloaded PPSSPP and tried emulating its PSP version, just taking a look at it, it looks like this one works fine.

Not going to play any more now, haven't finished SH4 yet(Though I guess I'm pretty close, just finished water prison for second time). I was thinking of going through SH1-4 again to unlock everything, but I guess I'll play this one after SH4 and then replay the previous games

So I guess this game is something like Alan Wake? Though I haven't played that game yet either, whatever

There's also Homecoming that I can play on PC, is that even worth downloading?

Shattered Memories is more of like a walking simulator. There's no combat and you just move in a predefined linear direction. There are also chase sequences and puzzles but that's about it. It's a "beat it in a single sitting" sort of game.

It's more of like Amnesia the Dark Descent if it lacked stealth elements.

It's okay. There's no combat, just fleeing from enemies in certain areas, and it's easy to mess up the psychological profiling that the game tries to do on you by exploring too much. You wouldn't be skipping out on much by skipping it.

But the main character is still Harry right? I liked him more when he was a fighting badass. I also took a look at a few pics of this game and I don't like its art direction(is this the right word?). Characters look like they're from Sims imo. I mean, so far every Silent Hill I played had some disgusting/creepy shit in them, I don't think anything in this art style would scare me.

It's okay. Best western Silent Hill game but that's not exactly a difficult feat.

Yes the main character is Harry

The art style was way more grungey. They tried this more realistic art style with the game. You can definitely tell that two completely different developers worked on both games.

I wouldn't say the game is creepy. Like I don't remember anything like dogs with worm heads from the first game or anything like that.

I was able to try the Wii, PSP and PS2 versions of the game. PSP version is the worst of them. The Wii version is the best one. There is no real combat in the game it's all about running, walking and exploring. It's one of those games where the Wiimote controls really work in its favor as the Wiimote acts as a flashlight and cellphone which makes the controls less tedious and is great for immersion.

I've played through 2 and 3 multiple times, but haven't touched anything else in the series.

Is 1 really worth a play? I tried emulating it recently and it just felt clunky as fuck.

1 plays the same as SH2. It feels almost like a spiritual predecessor to SH2 since it has the same premise as it but is much more like a Stephen King novel

It has a lot of great moments and creepy as fuck areas. One of the best games on the PS1 for me.

I'm playing it right now and it's a blast. A spooky one, but fun. Then again, I haven't played any of the others yet. Give it another go and stick with it.