What's the game that most made you feel like you went on a great adventure...

What's the game that most made you feel like you went on a great adventure? Despite the state of the industry I feel that a few games still can manage to convey this feeling.

Other urls found in this thread:

p4p.arenabg.com:1337/announce&tr=http://tracker.aletorrenty.pl:2710/announce&tr=udp://tracker.coppersurfer.tk:6969/announce&tr=udp://tracker.leechers-paradise.org:6969/announce&tr=udp://zer0day.to:1337/announce
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Off the top of my head, Morrowind
I'd also put up Might and Magic since they more or less let you wander/do which quests you wanted in whatever order

still no good Conan game
No Barsoom game

get high and lower the immersion barrier

Dragon's Dogma, in the style of the traditional D&D type adventure.
Fucking Capcom squandered what could've been a promising franchise.

DD:DA

I dont even need to do the quests. Shit, I havent even turned in that hydra head yet.

I just beat the shit out of a golem. Why do I need some faggot Duke giving me the thumbs up?

Out of recent games Dark Souls gave me that kind of feeling. Replaying it it's obvious the difficulty is there to slow you down and make you feel you are exploring even though the areas are pretty small. The visually connected areas and blatant lack of information as a way of creating mystery were also simple tricks so it's a wonder how they managed to fuck it up in DaS2.

It also helped that it was a pretty simple premise too, at least on the surface

TES games with mods. Final fantasy VI and VII. Golden sun. NES Willow and battle of Olympus. Any Zelda. Tomba 3.

Yeah until the end where it got 2deep and tripped over it's own feet. But the simplicity and traditional aesthetic and premise worked very well in the games favor even if it could've been so much more.

Bannerlord if they add dungeon crawling quests and mod potential for monsters.

How presumptuous of you.

Anyway, probably Dragon's Dogma.

Morrowind
Dragons Dogma
Shadow of the Colossus
Twilight Princess (yes, really)

Arx Fatalis

pic related
some of the FF's
kotor but biowut always make the environments seem claustrophobic

Ultima Online.

Mario Bros 1.

mein aryan

Gothic 2 was great until the end, the last boss was utterly weak and disappointing after such a build up and such interesting combat with skeletons and such.

Another World, an early 90s game.

Ultima online ;_;

I feel you man,

I still miss those days. Was like another reality.
Which shard?

Both Valkyria Chronicles 1 and three were great, shame 3 never got a PC release or even a proper English release… would've have been so much better if it had PC level graphics.

Ragnarok Online, pre-renewal before satan morroc.

I sometimes spent days just wandering the world without actually hunting any mobs just to see what it had. Even if I had no real direction to go, the exploration was fun.

Skies probably had the greatest sense of grand adventure I've come across in a game.

Been playing through Dragon Quest V, def got that feeling yo

Chrono Trigger, at least until the plot goes nuts at the end of Zeal.

We've already pretty much got the tools to make a remaster for the PC, and whatever the community comes up with, will likely be a hell of a lot better than what we'd get in an official "remaster".

Geneforge 1

It was just very intriguing, a whole lot of shit going on and it all seemed to immerse me pretty well.

The gameplay was shit though, and I hate the rest of the series. But Geneforge 1 is just a very peculiar game.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is the only game that gave me a sense of adventure and imagination like the LOTR did.

I've never been more disappointed.

The whole game in the first one is basically one comfy adventure where you go from some pissed off farmer to a full party. Nice and comfy, don't recommend it for a full sit down though playing it in bits gets the best enjoyment.

Terranigma

A amazing game with a great ending.

If people have lost their loves for video games, I give them the advise to play this game.

Skies of Arcadia for me as well. Lots of variety in environments and a massive overworld with 3 levels to it. Some of the 'dungeons' were pretty straightforward and suffered from copy & pasting to pad them out though.

It feels like a classic SNES era RPG properly brought into a new dimension. Games like Chrono Trigger or Phantasy Star may have had you travelling through time or to other planets but the scale of adventuring felt off. It felt just right in Skies of Arcadia.

Look at the current state of the industry this is a good thing. It was made when DLC was given away for free and fansites hosted it without any thought of it being taken down. Some of those sites still host it to this day and any DC with an internet connection can install it.

pic related

Zelda AlttP

Dragon Dogma, the night and day system made all the difference, but also, people call it too brown, it's because there's lots of nature in that game, nature is the spirit of LotR, to make a LotR one of the main characters need to be nature itself, just like that 1982 Mozart movie where Mozart's music was so present, it was a character by itself.

I have actually wanted to finish translating VC3 but I don't have the tools to access the the text repository, the guys who mad the fan sub last updated their page in 2014 so I doubt I could even reach them to ask for what they used to make the sub.

Any clues user?

Also, the big issue isn't the textures but the models, which are very low poly… not surprising given that it was a PSP game.

Also fuck behemoths in particular

I got the feeling that 2 and 3 rehashed the story but refined the engine a bit more

I dont like how they moved Avernum over to the geneforge engine, i feel like that poor game lost its identity as a result

BG2

Dark Souls

And say what you want about MGSV, but I have yet to see a game that even attempts to exponentially expand gameplay in a sequel as much as MGSV did, even though overall the end product was a casual deserted mess. I won't forget those first 3-50 hours anytime soon.

skies of arcadia and the prophet series (nwn modules)

I didn't get the rehashed story feeling from 3. It's the weakest game in the series, but the story is at least different to one and two.

Dragon's Dogma
Morrowind and Oblivion
Most Zelda games

That's all I can think of

King Kong on ps2

Was top tier for a movie tie in game

Skies of Arcadia and Grandia are great suggestions. Didn't see anyone mention this yet, it's also good for adventure.

Outcast.

Mid-2000s Runescape did this exceptionally well. Nowadays, even on old-school servers, everyone knows where everything is. The feeling of adventure simply isn't there anymore.

I miss asking for other players to assist with quests, or my brother and I staying up in the wee hours of the night to figure shit out. Although we did share an account, the feeling of adventure was there since we both were there while each of us were playing.

Chesapeeak and Atlantic

I know a lot of you guys aren't into them, but roguelikes give this feel exceptionally. My personal favorites of the more traditional variety are, TOME and ADOM.

TOME is easy to torrent and find its DLC, then update to newest version from the launcher, but the paid improvements of ADOM are hard to find.

However, I found a torrent of ADOM one version behind (its kay the next version up just improves the graphics, which is laughable to me in a roguelike tbh)

Here's the magnet link for a very recent version of ADOM,
magnet://?xt=urn:btih:d6e3ff567d40b577a24f8afdd154ede468986bd0&dn=Adom%20r69%20rar&tr=p4p.arenabg.com:1337/announce&tr=http://tracker.aletorrenty.pl:2710/announce&tr=udp://tracker.coppersurfer.tk:6969/announce&tr=udp://tracker.leechers-paradise.org:6969/announce&tr=udp://zer0day.to:1337/announce

Read, the wiki, learn to play, play in ASCII and above all have fun user.

Most recently, Persona 3. Shit opinion, I know.

Another upboat for Dragon's Dogma. It's comfy and rewards my autism. Might as well shill it at this point.

Both of them were amazing adventures

when are we ever going to get a sequel to 1 and 2

a bluuaugh a blegh blebh blebh

noice dubs m8

At least I wasn't shilling the MMO.

MG2, MGS2, MGS3, and MGS4 did, the only thing MGSV did was go open world.

Not a great game but Soulbringer
Theres also witcher 3

Another vote for DD:DA

2deep? The central premise referenced throughout the entire game is that man justifies his existence and independence by facing struggle, because it's only through struggle that you show your will to live. That's not 2deep, that's deeper than most games would ever hope to be.

I picked up the Uncharted collection for cheap earlier in the year and only just got around to playing through them. The one thing they do best is capture the sense of an Indiana Jones-esque adventure. The gameplay is a bit on the generic side (I.E. it's a cover shooter with platforming) but I genuinely liked the characters and the places you got to visit. Uncharted is a good series if you want to feel the spirit of a globetrotting, treasure hunting adventure.

However, if you want a REAL adventure and not just the feeling of one, Dragon's Dogma is probably the game to play.

It takes some cues from the "struggler" themes in Berserk. However since in DDDA we kill ourselves in the end I am afraid that is how Berserk will end too.

You can credit the lack of loading screens for Brothers feeling like a great journey. Uninterrupted gameplay is huge for immersion

The seneschal dies, the pawn becomes human, the cycle continues. It's defiance in the face of futility, this game is myth of Sisyphus deep. Really didn't dawn on me until many playthroughs later when I thought they were rambling about typical JRPG dreck.

It will live again

Fuck. It's been years since I played 1.
brb reinstalling
I really wish they hadn't made Fellowship of Evil or whatever it's called. They could've made a proper sequel with a larger scale.

here ya go, friendos

Dark Souls.

I rage quit at O&S for like a year before I went back and played all the way through. (no internet for multi)

Thats the only game that felt like a journey because it WAS one, not just because it was a good world and long story.

I modded Skyrim into a creepy RPGmaker-esque experience once. Being unable to fast travel and having to constantly camp as unnerving and psychedelic music plays is honestly quite exhilerating.
Aside from that the obvious Dragons Dogma, Shin Megami Tensei, and Phantasy Star IV.

Fallout 1 and NV. The first playthroughs were absolutely magical and the sense of discovery was exhilarating and fun beyond anything else I'd ever done in vidya.

May I ask you, perchance, what the best way to play Fallout 1 is?

By just playing it.

In what way? Roleplaying? I'd be happy to help with questions, just clarify.

In any case, download Fallout Fixt from NMA if you haven't already. Once sfall is installed by that, go to the ddraw.ini then modify game speed to be 150/200 instead of stock 100. This will make the animations super smooth as opposed to clunky, and make huge group fights move a lot faster.

You've already answered my questions, thanks user.

Spyro 2
The whole Game you basically work to get Spyro to the Dragon Shores and once you get there, you are angry that the Game is over and you look back at all the stuff you have done.

Neverwinter Nights Add Ons
The main Game was bland as hell, but the Expansions do a good job of portraying a journey through the Lands of the Forgotten Realms.

MediEvil 1&2
A great Adventure with a great Loser Hero, who doesn't feels annoying like the rest of Loser Heroes in Video Games.

Enclave
For a plain hack&slash Game, it has a really good Story progression.

Miasmata
Its a short Game, but the controls and the triangulation really make it worth the time spent on it.

Legend of Grimrock
I think its the nature of Dungeon Crawlers to be good at this topic.

Morrowind, Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl and Dragon's Dogma.

Oh fuck, how could I forget about that gem, that was quite amazing to be honest. Or atleast the soundtrack was.

Witcher 3.

Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga.

I liked how the Beanbean Kingdom looked so different from the Mushroom Kingdom and how the game sets the mood at the start.

Paper Mario 2 also qualifies.

Witcher 3 did feel like an adventure, but I felt like I missed out on a lot by not playing the previous ones.

I just could not handle the combat system in 1. It fucking sucks. It is garbage. I don't want to play something with that shitty gameplay, even if the story is good.

For 2, I started it and got to act 2, I think, but then I just kinda stopped. That was years ago, though. I was probably more casual at the time. Maybe I should go back and give it a proper play.

Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon

Frontier Elite 2. An adventure the size of the Milky Way.