Serious sam thread

already on the level oasis, my thoughts so far. the Egyptian aesthetic is great it's very calming killing enemies in tombs and the music make me feel like a kang, the levels are just arenas where enemies just spawn but the variety of enemies make each encounter fun. i can't tell you how bad ass i felt when i took out a whole arena with nothing but my wit and all the weapons i had.

i heard the other games in the series aren't like the first one, are they at least as fun as first encounter. also what are your thoughts on second encounter.

also where the fuck is serious sam 4

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouszone.com/ssgold/festory.php
steamcommunity.com/groups/serioussaturdayswithv
twitter.com/AnonBabble

why can't people just git gud user.

I wonder would people join if we had a co-op mp game

First encounter & second encounter both make the complete Serious Sam 1.
So TSE is good.
You might have misheard people talking about SS2, which is a different game from TSE entirely.

I haven't played SS2, but I did play BFE (SS3), and I liked that the levels were shorter and punctuated with significant events. Despite that the gameplay was very not Serious at times, it made the game much smoother to go through.

I've heard the DLC, Jewel of the Nile, is fucking rad.

the second encounter is more of the same expect it takes place in aztec places, babylon and poland

then there's BFE which takes place again in desert and is pretty much TFE with shitty first few stages and new gimmick enemies such as faggot hitscan helicopter with tentacles

there's console only TNE which is pretty faithful to original games except buttugly outdoor areas

SS2 went full retard with publishers wanting even more humour and you're not obliged to play it

It's like they don't even want to make the games anymore.

everytime Holla Forums tries to get mp games going it ends horrible, just look at minetest, battlefield 1942, and battlefield 2124.

Keep playing. The level after Oasis has the best combat music in the series. And know that from this point onwards, the game has officially stopped fucking around and will do it's serious best to seriously pound you into a serious paste so you better get seriously good.

You better not be playing on Tourist or Normal you little bitch faggot

thanks user i know the second encounter and ss2 are totally different, i was just wonder if the second encounter was worth playing.

sounds amazing can't wait to play it.

seriouszone.com/ssgold/festory.php

I'll just leave this here. And yeah, this is for real.

Why the fuck are they making another prequel?

because they fucked up with SS2 and are afraid to push the story further until they make a proper remake of SS2 like they planed to do so

so we got an unnesessary prequel
now we are getting ANOTHER prequel (albeit it may be a bit more interesting)
and then we're probably getting a REMAKE
fuck this
I'll be like 40 when actual SS3 comes out
My father was fucking 30 when we played SS1, what the fuck.

why didn't they take ss2 as seriously ?

i hope you mean ss4.

I said 'actual SS3', as in 'a sequel to SS2'.

fug why are croteam making prequels instead of moving the games forward and fix plot holes with comic books are something.also am i the only one that can't into SS story.

:^)

No, I only know the very basics. And what more should you know? The important bits are point and shoot while running around.

nice meme friend.

Please tell me there are some custom maps like this but bigger. I got this game for just that reason after getting tired of the claustrophobic maps in painkiller painkiller is fun but goddamn I want to watch my stakes arc and hit shit from afar or kill hordes of enemies unobstructed like in the cathedral or train station more

I just posted the fucking story like 3 posts up

This seems like a good opportunity to shill the semi-official Holla Forums group

steamcommunity.com/groups/serioussaturdayswithv

We play Serious Sam together every single Saturday as we have been doing for the past 3 years.

You're all welcome to play with us.

Serious Sam was literally sold on the false meme that it was a "throwback to mindless fun FPS like Doom".

Kids from the 2000s believed that shit, because they had never tried Doom firsthand. Nowadays with classic Doom's return, you should just be ashamed of parading this arcade toy for retards.

Do the HD remakes play exactly like the old games? And is every level just an arena like it seems to be from the footage I've seen?

The second encounter has fucked physics. Yeah, it's an arena shooter.

Who are you quoting

serious sam is it's own thing now with it's own balance and gameplay

serious sam was doom-like for first few levels of TFE before devs started wondering how many enemies they can actually fit in a single area

You can't get HD Encounters and BFE working without Steam.

Direct all complaints to Croteam. Tell them to release Sam 4 already.

your pedantic as fuck

No, games like Painkiller, nuShadow Warrior and Hard Reset are mindless.

Serious Sam doesn't really resemble Doom in the slightest, and instead focuses on HUGE AMOUNT OF ENEMIES in open areas rather than plenty of slow enemies in tight spaces. But it's not like it has to be Doom, either. Unfortunately polaks don't understand what made Serious Sam serious, so we end up with this negative notion of arena shooters being braindead 'hurr spawn enemies randomly durr' games.

serious sam wasn't sold on the "throwback to mindless fps fun" but was sold on the idea of classic arcade fun, like contra which is you have to git gud or die repeatedly, you had to have a strategy arcade games were like a puzzle game but you had to actually git gud at them.

git gud pleb.

serious sam is a arena shooter and hd plays almost like the original with some fugged physics.

Tread carefully

Second Encounter is fine and has more varied environments but the addition of platforming puzzles in some areas was a little bit questionable. 2 isn't terrible but I'd recommend doing it in coop since it otherwise feels like a large step back. In coop you aren't going to fucking care. BFE is fine once you push through the poor start.

Is that the group that just kicks you if you don't say stupid memes every 5 seconds? Cause the Holla Forums serious sam group has got to be the godamned worst experience I have ever had playing games with a group of people.

You've clearly got no fucking idea what you're talking about. The end of old-school FPS games was maybe 3 years before the first SS game while Final Doom was 5. How do you have a 'throwback' to a game only half a decade old? More importantly you're fucking underage if you think people in the past did the modern thing of ignoring games older than a few years old. Less money, shittier hardware and less games actually released combined to give a much longer lifespan for the average game. Doom was still a big thing back in 2001.

If anything Serious Sam was sold on how different it was to the shooters of the 90s. Big maps and fucktons of enemies was a novel thing at the time with TSE in particular pushing that.

they kick if you arent in the steam group because they dont want normalshits taking up server space. Server is usually full with a backupserver sometimes active for overflow

if you wanna talk about the synchtube though its usually full of micspam, moeshit techno, and the same shit that gets played every single week

I've finished all except SS2 in serious. It's shit.
You want me to go finish them all on Mental before I'm allowed to have an opinion?

You can start by not having such terrible opinions.

Some people think that it might have been either publisher influence or Croteam's eagerness to demonstrate their new engine by cramming effects where they didn't really fit.

Q2/3 2016 they said.

But then Vulkan happened and they worked on the technology instead.
And then VR happened and they started working on the tech, including a small VR demo game.
And then another Croatian studio asked them for help with their game or something.

I still hope we get it before the end of the year.
As for Vulkan, it works at least 20% better than OpenGL when it isn't buggy.

Right, they also switched to 64 bit earlier this year.

I miss items having LODs in the Serious Sam HD versions, like you would have 10hp garbage having three triangles at a far distance, but then when you got close it got to its original lod

it was publisher, they wanted them to cram in as many humour and lolrandum as they could

"we want the 10 year old audience"

That Croteam are wacky jokesters irl didn't help. It's like saying to a heroin addict to indulge in his vices.

There are small differences. Harpies could carry and drop kamikazes in the originals but can't in the HD versions.

Reddit? Is that you?

so what gameplay is there to talk about? one which doesn't even exist yet, beyond running around and shooting kamikazes and kleers which is a given?

*pinches meduka's cheek

Remember that time when you killed a horde of Kleers with cannonballs? That was awesome.

The RPG was amusing.

I'll never forget the first time I played The First Encounter and got to the dunes level. Shit was intense

TSE>TFE

People seem to mistake TSE for 2 sometimes when they're pretty different games. On an unrelated note, why were the final level music for both TFE and TSE so godtier?

They both had great end credit themes as well. Made me think the Devs really enjoyed their work.

Have any of you played serious sam Double D XXL? I tried it a bit and it seems neat, bit too easy though

second encounter is more of the same and good all around. If you have FE:HD and SE:HD installed to the same computer you can launch FE's levels from SE

Sam 2 is limited by its console focus but still pretty solid. Areas are smaller, giving you less room to maneuver and the graphics are cartoony. Netricsa gets voice acting

Sam 3 is damn good. Slow opening that teaches you how to play Mega Man X style (you start with a hammer, don't get a gun until right before you need one, etc). Remembers its own lore very well, including people cursing Sam's name because he is indeed at fault for attracting Mental's attention to Earth

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

you can get a shotgun in the first minute of the game though

What are some good tunes to blare while shootan aliens?

Who cares?