Lack of Content Creation Tools in Vidya

What the fuck happened Holla Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forgotten_Realms:_Unlimited_Adventures
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Mario Maker doesn't count, it's shallow as fuck in comparison.

Starcraft 1 had a nice editor. Maybe the one I used the most.

why bother spending time creating an interface and assests for people to make their own shitty levels when you can make your own shitty levels and sell them instead?

Black Desert wasn't even good. You got a base model for ever class and you could only edit it so much. You still look like 90% of the other people playing the same class.

Back then a lot of developers rolled their own editors from scratch, now faggots are a clusterfuck of in-house tools with licensed parts and it's too much hassle to release them to the public. Plus why let users make more content when you can sell it for $60 in the Slightly Changed Remakeā„¢?

Because map editors and such keep the consumer playing longer and then you can sell them content packs for their editors(At least for consolefags, that'd never fly with mustards). And DLC in general because if they're still playing for the editor you can slap an ad for the DLC on the main menu.
Honestly there's more business sense in adding these things to games than to not to.

but you've already advertised the season pass before the game is even out so you don't need to worry about the player base not knowing about it.

and you don't want them playing the game for too long they need to be excited for the game you'll release the following year

Annual releases are a dying breed, user. Ass Creed dropped to an every other year schedule, Call of Duty is getting tons of negative PR about it, Pokemon only gets away with it because Pokemon. This time 5 years from now annual release schedules will be dead

Why give the consumers a chance to make their own stuff when you can charge them an extra $50 with a season pass for more maps?

I wish mod tools came to Dragon's Dogma PC.

Can you imagine a fan-made map overhaul? Wandering monsters everywhere? A fix for the number of skills Warriors can equip? A fan-made Bitterblack Isle? DDDA PC has mods, but they're all really tame by comparison to what we could have had.

The Japanese mentality around mods(Being "Fuck you for wanting to change anything about the creators vision") will never change and we'll never get great things like Dragon's Dogma, Metroid Prime or Dark Souls mods.

Because if people can make their own content, they won't have to buy your shitty yearly rereleases.
Hence why games like Timesplitters 4 got cockblocked out of existence.

Owned by a Japanese company, therefore mods never ever

You won't get any kind of character customization in modern walking sims or 'realistic' games that pull the bullshit that rust did. Map editors and content creation don't matter to consolefags and would be hard to use anyway and that's what AAA devs care about, since only consolefags will willingly buy a million DLCs and pay for their shitty games. Indie games are usually the dev's first or second game, so they don't focus on making it moddable which is pretty hard to do if you're a newfag or a hipster.

Two things the desire by companies to control content that will giver them the next DotA like SCI because the potential cash is huge, and to snuff out creativity because time and again the free content created by fans blows the devs' stuff out of the water.

This TBH. Fan-created content isn't profitable if its free. If they try to monetize it, they get a revolt like what happened to skyrim. Sweatshops powered by fans like CS:GO and TF2 don't count.

You know, now that I think about it. Could it be that the death of many long standing studios in recent years is linked to the lack of tools for user generated content?

I'm seeing a lot of this argument everywhere I ask. But even with content creation tools in the original. Couldn't they get you to by their shitty sequel by advertising BETTER creation tools? Bungie did it with Reach to great success. I think your average goy would love to buy an iterative version of their favorite map editor or custom games tools.

FLOSS gaming doesn't have this issue and it's one of the main reasons why I switched to it.

Making my own levels and playing weird mods or multiplayer maps was half the fun of gaming when I was a teenager. Now everything is locked down tightly allowing little experimentation.

Never thought about being unable to release developer tools due to licensing issues. So even if they want to they can't provide modding tools.

You can make editors and tools in that scenario. ARK(Yeah, yeah, unoptomized shit, blah blah) has mod tools for it and that's under the proprietary engine of UE4.

Maybe but it has a lot better physics than any LBP game.

Well, Bethesda is going along with the paid mods shit, there's the Starcraft 2 map editor while the map making community said fuck it after blizz's retardedness, limited character creation because studios are afraid of players making abominations, and there Doom SnapMap, neat, too bad there's a fucking limit to how much you can do because consoles. And finally LittleBigPlanet 3, Sony doesn't give a shit anymore.

This really boils down to the direction the game will take and whether or not the publisher is willing to make the investment. Phantasy Star Online 2 has the best character creator in the industry right now, and Sega allowed it because dress up was going to be the cornerstone of their financial model.

Consolization/casualization

Because his name is
JOHN CENA

Making a sequel that's actually better in any way requires actual talent and effort, which is why it doesn't happen. Read the reason why the real Battlefront 3 was cancelled if you don't believe me you will lose your faith in humanity

Check out Dungeon Craft from back in the day

"Dungeon Craft is an effort to develop an RPG and editor that mimics SSI's Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures (FRUA). A few improvements have been made over the original FRUA, 16/24/32-bit color, more levels allowed, editable items/monsters/spells, and the resulting design includes the game executable so that each design is playable without the editor. Other differences exist, but I have attempted to duplicate FRUA/Gold Box behavior as much as possible. Of course, suggested improvements have a good chance of making their way into the source code."

"Unlimited Adventures is essentially a role-playing game construction kit, and draws on the prior Gold Box engine games for its content.[2] A player could create hundreds of different monsters, triggers as part of adventure design on the computer."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forgotten_Realms:_Unlimited_Adventures

Closest thing we've gotten to this is the creation kit from tesv games, Neverwinter Nights1/2, and maybe torchlight 2's editor.

So you switched to not playing any games?

Bannerlord is what you need, friend.
I think I recall the devs saying they'd include some devtools

There's tons of them

>>>/lv/1

That board is dead here ever since 8ch brought back .swf file support and stopped updating the github page for infinity effectively making this site run on closed source software. HW was devoted to FLOSS before giving up on this site.

theres one