Thief

How was Thief Gold? Never played any in the series.

Other urls found in this thread:

ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134733
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Play it. Great horror themed stealth game.

It comes with FREE INTERNET ACCESS OP. What have you got to lose?

Thief Gold adds a few missions to the campaign. This could be argued as a bad thing that ruins the flow of the story.

So, More Content (Thief Gold) vs Well Paced Content. (Thief: The Dark Project)

Thief 2 is also pretty good too. Pushes the envelope into more stealth territory than Thief 1.

Thief 1's more of a horror themed adventure game with tight stealth elements.

Thief 2 is the single best stealth game ever made.

After you finish them up I'd recommend thief fan missions over The Dark Mod. The Dark Mod's engine just doesn't have the same sound quality as the Dark Engine.

It's a masterpiece. Go play it. Play 1-3 but not 4, then Dark Mod.

the ai in deus ex is a joke and the levels pale in comparison to thief. thief is easily the best game of its type.

3 isn't really worth the time either with how it makes everyone conveniently retarded for the shitty story to go on

100% worth playing. Some levels get a little tedious, but it's easily made up for.

Did the reboot pop the franchise's cherry, or can the original series still be considered pure?

The only good level in Theif 3 is the cradle

That wasn't a problem, in fact it was better to have one plot artifact per level instead of two, and maybe have a small side level in between main plot events. Unfortunately said side level is horrendously long and tedious. Mages Tower is pretty bad too.

Did Lords of Shadow? Did Sonic 2006? Of course not, silly.

God those things are creepy. The ship captain mansion and the museum are also good levels.

Pretty good, though it focuses more on adventure / horror than pure stealth. There's a bit more tomb robbing than mansion robbing, which I preferred over Thief 2.

I'd argue the reboot has all the same problems as Deadly Shadows honestly. Poorly designed city levels really killed DS for me, but weren't a huge issue in the reboot. Character upgrades (equipment or otherwise), in both games, never felt worthwhile or fun.

I'd argue the mission design can be pretty good in a lot of places, especially in the brothel and manorhouse, and the asylum / cradle ripoff. The story just drags due to a single unlikable character ruining everything. Literally everything, you can't escape her presence in the plot.

At a certain point I was happy that I could break the reboot with specific upgrades like focus and blackjack knockouts even when guards were alerted, compared to DS which gave no such options to break the game. I lost my patience at too many poorly designed spots and just wanted it over with. Thi4f at least gave me that.

Gold was overall pretty good but the Thieves' Guild level was ass. Also the Mage's Tower doesn't go well on a replay. Still the version I'd use, grab TFix though: ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134733

Also get OpenAl 2.1.0.0 to use EAX on Win Vista and above. Sound is stupidly important for experiencing Thief at its best and EAX is a big part of that.

I'm not sure if I should be glad or concerned to the amount of DX and Thief threads on full/v/ lately.

On cuck/v/ it used to be nigh impossible to get a thread going amidst all the shit, but it was usually people who had enjoyed it for years and years now and had something to discuss. Here it seems like every thread is "Hey I never played this how is it".

Well, you know enough that the games are highly acclaimed and loved and considered classics and must-play material, so why the fuck ask? Why the fuck not just play and THEN make a thread how you liked them, huh?

Or are oldfags resorting to making newbait threads to lure people in? If so, why when there's no need?

I'm lost.

Considering we have a Thief-thread once every week on average, how new exactly are you?

Not only is Thief a shitty game compared to MGS, but guess what? It has such a shit simple story that could be entirely glanced over. MGS actually has a complicated story that carries over into gameplay, and reflects the emotions of the characters onto the player. Thief is just piss easy and Internet story-tier.

Do not respond to bait.

Video related

It's all about risk-aversion, isn't it?

Gotta say, I never thought about in-game maps like that before.

All that edge from the new garret is just cringe worthy. Someone was actually paid to write this.

Only one I didn't enjoy was Thieves Guild, and with didn't enjoy I mean absolutely fucking loathed it. Fuck that level and whoever designed.

Thi4f was about collecting scissors and inkwells, not about playing a master thief. That and silly plot hook with a silly girl apprentice dying ruined the game for me.

Or was she more than that? She was poorly suited for her vocation, that was sure.

Is it true that in Thi4f you can't jump?

She ruined the game for everyone, not just you.

Her backstory is she ran away from home to The City, fell in with a brothel and managed to be so incompetent at her job as a prostitute that she killed her first client instead of fucking them.

Garrett apparently tried to train her as a thief but because all she was good for was killing, he told Erin to fuck off instead. That's about all the backstory you get on her, and if the game completely forgot about her existence after that the story and game might be a little bit more enjoyable.

Some story writer or designer loved their waifu too much to kill her off, despite their better judgement, and the whole game suffered for it. If the backstory to Garrett as a character was lamenting over the poor bitches judgement, I'd be reasonably okay with it, but the problem is that's his character, and it takes the ENTIRE GAME to resolve that point. It's even worse since SHE DOESN'T FUCKING DIE AT ALL, YOU SPEND THE ENTIRE GAME CHASING HER

I still believe the games story is salvageable (not in a good way, but one that doesn't rape the games lore any further), and the gameplay and level design matches Deadly Shadows too much for me to fail it as being worse, but the focus on just this bitch was fucking awful.

You can mantle, climb, crouch, jump, and maneuver in any sensible manner (including using rope arrows at specific points), but you can't jump on the spot. You need a location to jump towards.

Thief needs a few fixes to be experienced properly on a modern computer. Now granted typing in 'Thief pcgamingwiki' and reading that page + the TFix forum page it links to will likely tell you everything you need to know but it's always better to get knowledgeable anons to help you out.

Taffer Patcher helps solve any compatibility issues. There are some issues where you can't adjust the brightness but a simple fix through the ini files takes care of it.

Someone should do what they did with Half Life and create a remake of Thief 1 and 2.

There is a GoldtoDark mod that removes that awful Gold only levels. Invest in installing it and make sure you play on max level (more objectives to complete - difficulty is pretty static).

Isn't that only for Thief 2 though? I know TFix includes some Thief 2 fixes in Thief 1.

The only people I'd trust not to fuck it up are the autists doing things like The Dark Mod or continuing to make custom missions.

B-but-but, I really like Song of the Caverns

Sorry, I dropped the game after several missions. I find it extremely uncharacteristic of Garrett to take an apprentice at all without a very good reason for doing so.

It's the best of the Gold missions in my experience.

Thief :))

Everyone did, and it shows. Everyone dropped the game at the start of mission 4, it was the single most unlikable mission in the entire game, coming right after the brothel and ruins.

I went into it expecting to hate it, but there was some really well designed missions later on after pushing through the 2nd act. I'd never call it a good game, but I wouldn't say it's the worst in every aspect of the series.

I try to give most things a fair go at least, and actually look at each design choice, rather than call it shit and leave it there. That said, I'm autistic enough to enjoy doing that anyway so what do I know!

They were really laying on the Dishonored copying early on then.

Because they had some of the old Thief guys working on it and they made those levels.

My biggest problem with Thief 4 wasn't the bland gameplay or the god awful story, but the sound problems this game has.

I feel like I've seen this exact thread at least three times this week.

Don't forget doing the same loading screens climbing sections and window opening sequences over and over again, and the same repeated takedowns and boring combat over and over again.

Don't forget it's not the same one. It's some pretender newfag.

It's a total disservice to the Thief series even with the one or two cool things it does right (lightning flashes make you visible, and arguably the short-range dash move thing. Also which was mission 4?

And Deadly Shadows?

Only slightly better than thief 4. Play it once with the gold mod, but there's little replayability.

The amount of necessary grind for better equipment and the whole idea of completing sets of collectibles all over the city were the things that pushed me away from the game. Original Thief games never felt grindy for me, and I had no problems playing them to the end, even the third one. Thi4f overall design philosophy and especially the focus on making it unnecesarily 'cinematic' just stank of consolitis. I detested it immensely for that reason alone. What's wrong with climatic intro sequences before each mission from earlier games? Or maybe it's only nostalgia speaking?.

Not as bad as some might claim. But coming off of the orgasmic trip that is Thief 2 it can seem really lacking and too linear.

It's got one of the spookiest levels I've played though.

It had really shitty gameplay, I mean basic shit like movement was all fucked up.

Funny thing is T2X beat them both to it, but its brothel mission was actually good.

I never played T2X, is it good?