/mmg/ Map Making General

/mmg/ Map Making General

We wuz mappers n' shit edition

Map Making general is a thread for mappers, to share and cooperate in the creation of maps for various videogames, there is no specific requirement for a map to be posted, from newfags that just learned to use the map editor of age of empires to veterans doom mappers this thread is for all.

This thread isnt about game development or modding of any kind.

Well first you need to make a map, it can be of any kind, singleplayer or multiplayer and in any game, from DOOM maps to Star wars galactic battlegrounds and anything that has a map editor/maker, you will probably want someone to play it too, so you can upload it to our vola : volafile.io/r/BA8XGZr

After that you can ask people help or tips and bug reports, or just have fun watching them play your masterpiece.

Well first of all, that doesent matter really, its fun as hell playing new maps of any game as long as you werent the one making it, its exiting and fun to jump into the unknown even if the map isnt that good, also i would recommend any newfag to start with games with easy to use editors, age of wonders 1 and age of empires both 1 and 2 had extremely easy to learn editor, stuff like Empire Earth 2 isnt really something i would recommend to novice map makers.

Also im gonna try to compile as much guides on map editors/makers into this pastebin : pastebin.com/RMgnMGHd

YES! im gonna start a project with anyone who wants to join me, we are gonna make an Age Of Empires 2 campaign together, everyone making 1 map and in the end we stick them all together and form a tale of wonders and adventures like the world have never seen before and hopefully it never will

All the info here : pastebin.com/RSHknRq0

Other urls found in this thread:

w84death.itch.io/tanks-of-freedom
volafile.io/get/0iFnP4Rdw66KtQ/volkmaps.zip
theisozone.com/downloads/pc/windows-games/age-of-wonders/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I want to get started on making Source Engine maps again but I hear Valve is going to make their tools actually decent soon

Hammer 2 when?

i think they are going to release it along with half life 3

Ok I just added a map I made in RCT2 a couple years ago. It's supposed to be fantasy world themed. It has a forest region, desert region, rocky wasteland, a flat plain to put your capital city, and two mountains with snowy peaks.

Also, here are some screenshots of a partially complete park I built on it.

I'd like to join the AoE campaign, but I have to get reacquainted with the map editor. It's been years.

Nice, im gonna try it

Im adding a map i recently made in AoW1 called orcfall, i never played the campaigns but its so comfy to make maps in this that i had to try it the forest was a fucking pain to make, it still gives me ptsd from looking at it

How counterproductive. Niggers don't even know how to own slaves top kek

Age of Wonders 2 mapfag here. Also thanks for making this therad.

Since the sounds of AoW were pretty limited I'm expanding the shit out of them with sounds from Diablo and Warcraft. It won't look out of place for the most part and add some variety.

get used to hammer or any other brush based level editor

static based is standard now, but the standard game is a piece of shit now so I suppose brush based is still fine :^)

I always thought Supcom had really nice symmetrical patterns for its maps. Too bad it doesn't have a map editor. Would be pretty neat if it automatically mirrored based on how many players you'd set the map to support too.

Ok so i went ahead and started making an AoE2 map for the project, its gonna be the first but im not giving the MC any fancy backstory, just a random user knight, that way people can have more fun with him, also doesn't have to be a champion

Shameless bump

What are some good free games with nice map editors? The only one I can think of is 0AD, and I'm not a fan of RTS in its style.

Why?

But i guess i would suggest you OpenTTD, the map editor its superb and it has a lot of stuff you can download and even edit a lot of the map ingame if you have the shekels

Besides that, there is also Battle for Wesnoth but i dont really like the editor too much, and doesent have many moods either

Super Mario Maker.

I don't like pirating games, but I still do it because it doesn't matter at all.

What's wrong with free games?

N-nothing … matey

Also i forgot there is also Tanks of Freedom, its free and has an editor, its like advanced wars but free

w84death.itch.io/tanks-of-freedom

If you're talking about pirated games, they're likely to be full of malware should you download them from a public tracker like a good goy that assumes that the Russians/Chinese really want to give you free games for no compensation at all, instead of them taking advantage of one of the many backdoors in M$'s Windows.

If you're talking about Open Sores then the problem lies that there's no incentive to make a game that's actually good. Eventually they devolve into the pet project of autistic neckbeards/furry trannies with a jscript "degree", both of which are likely to have thousands of posts. Then there's the cancerous autistic fucks that ask for code of your 2 year old game/project, make a few cosmetic changes, shill the fuck out of it and then become extremely rich/popular.

They're most likely shit copies of propietary games (freeciv and that RTS game where the devs got BTFO'd by a strat in MP and nerfed it). One of the "best" free games is openXcom and that is just an updated and open source version of UFO Defense/TFTD.

Open source games are doomed to fail unless they have a core development team full of real and actual shitlords.

Open source games are also some of the best games in development in this current decade. Especially compared against the vast wasteland that is the AAA industry right now.

The only games I'm looking forward to are Dwarf Fortress, FreeCities and Starsector. And Metal Gear Survive because I know people that preordered it and I want to watch their buyer's remorse activate.

Comparing two genres of shit games there.

Instead of playing the latest trAAAsh or some open sores furfag shit, you can just download retroarch and a console's entire library.

What's so special about Retroarch that it stands above my old programs like VBA, Dolphin and Project 64?

I tried to get into Dwarf, and I'm was never a graphixwhore, but the ASCII stuff and shitty tilesets really look bad.
If it looked as pretty as Might and Magic or Age of Wonders it would be the greatest game ever made.

Bumpin with desert cities and demon castles so this thread won't die in my sleep. Keep up the good work and make campaigns you would have loved to play.

I didn't make these, but I haven't seen them posted in years, so fuck it.

volafile.io/get/0iFnP4Rdw66KtQ/volkmaps.zip
Those are some Quake maps I've had lying around.
gwargwar is a dedicated deathmatch map, base1 is a singleplayer map with spawns for deathmatch. Both are products of me forcing myself to finish something for once, so they're fairly straightforward and simple.

This thread makes me want to play Sim City 4.

Do it. Post results.

*muffled tirolese singing in the distance*

Now I'm thinking whether to make a comfy questing map or a civil war map with all sorts of random but interesting events.

Slowly shaping a singleplayer map, getting the basic layout and feel down. Might be a little too ambitious for what I've got planned as a first time effort.

Retroarch is not an emulator itself.
It's a program to easily navigate your roms, use and update most available emulators as plugins through the same gui, provide consolidated shader support and so on.
The only thing that bothers me is that the rom database is checksum based, so if you have modded roms part of the ease of use gets lost.
Just try it out.

A long time ago I started making a map for gmod based on the Pegasus from BSG. The goal was to make a map that would allow people to make screenshots or machinima in a sci-fi setting but I never finished it. I needed 3d models of a lot of props so I gave up.

are you trying to bait me out?
guess I'll have a little nibble

I'm gonna try to make the Age of Wonders 2 map with unique gameplay for each civ. If you play as orcs gameplay will reward you for acting like an orc and so on. Hopefully it will be fun and no one will be missed if the map isn't full house. I'll be posting pics, civs and gameplay tips.

As a goblin, you're weak and puny, barely able to gain any resources on your own, and not strong enough to attack any town or city. Your advantage lies in remaining concealed and unnoticed, and using your soldiers to loot unprotected mills and mines or seize the production resources before the enemy does and then run before the enemy armies come. This should be relatively easy for you, as Goblins are scattered through the whole continent, living in holes underground but with only two underground outposts under their control.
Once you loot enough resources you should be able to create tools to dig through the mines and hire pioneers to rebuild the ruins of your ancient empire. When you do that your position will be one of the strongest in the game and you will pose a threat much larger than the orcs. That, of course, if you don't get annihilated by any of the good races or enslaved by the evil ones. Or you can simply submit and become a vassal quickly, if the enemy feels that you're not worth killing but you're bothersome enough to annoy his enemies.

Power: 1/10
Resources: 1/10
Magic: 3/10
cities: 2/10
Potential: 9/10

you will not start with all that stuff on the screen, that's just for the show

More races tips and tricks coming soon.

What Doom editor would be the go-to editor nowadays? I'm not wanting something really fancy or purist, just an editor that works natively on Linux and is low level enough that I'll actually learn things but not so low level I end up wasting tons of time on repetitive tasks.

I'll nibble you baby

Dorf fort looking like Age of Wonders would burn you computer's brain. Probably yours too.

Map update: Elves are not physical. They will astral project from their lollipop candy kingdom to the world of humans.

Work in progress. Any suggestions?

I was wondering, is a map making thread even feasible to keep updated on a board environment? a lot of work has to go into the actual making itself, with little going on between showing new content that takes ages to produce if there's any length to it.

Sure. With a few projects going on it should be a piece of cake.

Post cool areas and the reason why they look the way they look, lore, story if the map has one, your goals, campaigns if you use one, gameplay changes… anything works.

On another note, does this area look like it was fucked up by a big explosion of dark magic?

When I looked at from the start, it felt like that large crystal mass near the top middle was the source of the explosive magic, but I'm assuming its the smaller circle of stones near the bottom?
It doesn't really say 'explosion' to me as there isn't an immediately clear focal point from where it came from besides the few outward facing crystals. More like a growing corruption or burning from its influence. That's just my crappy opinion, though.

It's true, though, I'll need to edit more. Thanks. I'll keep tweaking it next time.

Somebody mind giving a magnet link for Age of Wonders 1, seems most of the torrents have died for it.

theisozone.com/downloads/pc/windows-games/age-of-wonders/

Not a magnet, but it's something. Not even the iso I think, just the plain old installer.

Magnet right here fam

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:8988CDB6BCBD5B53FFBF57A7209AABC8A460C0F8&dn=Age%20of%20Wonders%20%28November%2011%2c%201999%29&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80&tr=%2audp%3a%2f%2fopen.demonii.com%3a1337&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3a6969&tr=udp%3a%2f%2fexodus.desync.com%3a6969

Maybe we could do a campaign.

I suppose that's what I get for going with the 'I'm making this shit up as I go' school of level creation

Sometimes it happens. Same happened to my AoW2map. Few days later I implemented new shit.

Does anybody have any experience with the original Stronghold? I'm bored enough I actually want to try my hand at making a campaing for it but I'm not sure how well one can implement events and triggers for it or if it's just a simple Map creator.

Have been trying to learn how to cram some basic c+ + knowledge into head so I can tinker with some of the hl2 NPC settings, instead of trying to get my map down because I ran into what has done, too.
Just waiting for that flair of creativity to show up again to fill the spaces.

Life is suffering

Suffering was using fucking Qoole to make Quake 2 maps. Piece of shit would crash at random, and crash while saving, so if you didn't save every few minutes, and stagger your files, you could lose DAYS of work.

That's what happens when developers/publishers want to streamline everything and limit community content creation

I've posted it in the doom thread before, but does anyone wanna check out the maps I've been working on?

I'm new at this and am always looking for feedback

Death bump