NX backwards compatability strategy

What strategy should Nintendo apply to the NX when it comes to backwards compatibility and carrying over previous tech?

With their next iterations both Sony and Microsoft seem to be going for selling mini PCs with industry standard components but proprietary game licensing and as a consequence old games are accessible on both the Pro and Scorpio, and likely also on the next "real" new console generation if that ever happens. This is especially obvious with the xbone/W10 interchangeability. Nintendo on the other hand is rumored to go for rather different hardware than the WiiU even though no one really knows shit at this point.

Assuming different architecture is the reality what should their approach be? Should they offer backward compatibility with the WiiU or are they, given the rather slim library and less old hardware meaning less miniaturization, better off just just dumping everything that was before and just go pure NX?

What about the controllers? The WiiU had the tablet, pro controller, Wiimote and GC controllers. Are any of these designs worth continuing or is the NX better off with focusing just on the one controller how unified it will now end up being? If they keep any what improvements should be made?

Opting to no not shove OP full of my own opinions but posting them afterwards.

i just hope it supports my gamecube controller

please stop, we dont need another god damn NX thread

It will support 3DS and N3DS games at 2x res.

As long as Smash exists you should be safe.

This is not really about the NX itself but rather what Nintendo's strategy for the previous two generation should be.

How new is the N3DS hardware? I assume the NX would not be powerful enough to emulate it but would need the chips built in. Is it worth it for the 3DS library?

Why do we talk about the same shit every day?
We had this thread roughtly 200000 billion goddamn times.
The answers are always the same: either it's compatible with WiiU and 3DS as it's probably a homeconsole-handheld combo, or it's not retrocompatible at all because nintendo is going to implement an actual account system like sony and microsoft have, and thus they're gonna start from scratch, perhaps with retro support in the form of VC titles.

Fucking stop, we know nothing, the answers are always the same, wait a couple of fucking months and you'll find out.

How about you learn to fucking read? The question is not what it will be but what it should be.

This.
There honestly isn't anything to talk about with the NX. Just look at OP's post. It's baseless speculation on top of basless speculation. Maybe if we had some information about it, we could have meaningful discussion about the direction Nintendo should take with it, but right now, we don't know a thing. NX threads just reek of shills desperately trying to keep Nintendo relevant in the face of their increasing irrelevance to people who actually play video games.

They should trash all forms of BC because their competitors have proven that no one gives a shit about it, and even the handful of autists that do care give in and buy the new thing within a year or so anyway. Nothing better for a clean start than abandoning all the peripherals and gimmickry that kept developers and customers away from your last system. Virtual Console will remain, and that should be enough.

Oh, so it's not even a speculation thread, it's a retarded Holla Forums circlejerk thread "nintendo should do X" "CATER TO ME REEE".
Got it.

It shouldn't, they should make you idiots buy everything all over again. At least half of the people posting here would actually do it.

BRING BACK CARTRIDGES FOR GAMES
ALSO A CARTRIDGE THAT HANDLES BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY, HAS A DISK DRIVE INSIDE, AND WII AND WIIU MODES BUILT IN

yes

yes, but I hope the NX is like a much better done version of the gameboy advance, that can hook up to a tv via HDMI cable and feels like a Wii U pro controller

fuck off

would be fine if they offer downloads for GC games. Otherwise it's a waste.

Yeah, no. The one assumption is that the hardware will not make directly compatible with the one in the WiiU, and it is pointed out as such. List them or get the fuck out.

You don't need to know the future to argue for the best course of action, you only need to know the past.

ALL PREVIOUS NINTENDO GAMES WILL NOW BE VC GAMES

FUCK BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY

I bet it will run on the 3DS hardware, after all isn't it a handheld/console hybrid? It makes sense, if it does feature it then i would for it, if anything to enjoy games better than they do on the shitty lowres 3DS screen.

IN ADDITION TO THIS, STARTING THIS YEAR NINTENDO WILL RELEASE A CLASSIC EDITION FOR EACH OF THEIR CONSOLES UP TO THE GAMECUBE

THEY'LL LIKELY ALSO DO REFRESHERS OF PREVIOUS CLASSIC CONSOLES WITH DIFFERENT ROM SELECTIONS FOR MAXIMUM JEWING

Well it sure would make things easier in that aspect. Is something like the pro controller non-specific enough to be worth keeping or is it better to just burn everything and get a completely fresh start?

Great, now fuck off.

i wonder if the nx will just be one of those $5 pi's marked up to $200, wouldn't surprise me at this point.

the pro controller is the best controller I have ever used in my entire life. I didn't expect it, and I couldn't have known I would have loved it so. It's just so simple, but can do almost anything, and feels comfortable for hours. wireless made me REEEEE but the battery life was so good I didn't even notice.

So essentially a Super Game Boy but for all the previous systems? I can't say I wouldn't love it but it seems a bit much stuff to fit in there. Would having one huge addon for all the systems be preferable or would separate adapter cartridges for each previous system/group of systems be better?

How would you justify the additional cost for such an unsuccessful system? Is to not anger the fans who invested in WiiU games?

Isn't that a bit much like a tower of babel situation? With the new one it would be five different controllers to support.

I just love the Wii U pro controller, it's so great that I feel that if they supported at least ONE, it should be that one.

as for the cartridge, it should be one big cartridge that can handle any old game (sold seperately)

I'm disappointed because I feel as if nintendo hasn't released some of the greatest N64 games in the eshop for Wii U. where are the battle tankz? perfect dark? first super smash bros?

Would be good if their rate for getting them out wasn't so fucking abysmal.

That's the vein of the rumors but there's nothing at all solid. The only thing we have on record is the pokémon dev saying it's supposed to redefine how people look at consoles and handhelds, but that could really mean anything. Now that the hardware is entering prototype manufacturing there's a chance of some leaks though.

Not sure about new, but it is laughably weak. As in a manic fit of roaring laughter.

I can't disagree.

I feel the same way, but looking at the NES classic not taking cartridges I just can't hope for it. That would seem like the perfect thing to do now with the problems of running old consoles one new TVs and they didn't.

As usual, lagging behind. Somewhere between PS3-PS4.

you sound cool *bro fist*

whole console IS the handheld. remember the SNES and how small of a space they were able to make it fit with current modern technology? I believe that in the future they will be able to fit all the power of a very strong PC into a handheld console.

They seem to go for matching console hardware about two generations previous (but at much lower resolutions) so it should be about GC performance, right?

3DS, not WiiU.

Do you mean like a fully functional console or one of those Dollar General 30 in 1! "consoles"?

I fantasize about everything being FOSS and this amazing console gets made that can become compatible with any controller ever made and can play any game ever made.

also can multiplayer. even the most single player games you can get your friend playing multiplayer with you. when playing alone, or with a group of consenting multiplayer people, cheats can be enabled to allow you to play the game in almost any way you want.

also huge amounts of great mods for every game.

It's called a PC, but the FOSS part is not going to happen before the collapse and rebirth of the west, so don't hold your breath.

it's not easy for other people user

bumping

bumping for cuckchan being down as of 30 minutes ago. Can anyone else confirm?

what? Who fucking cares

Who even cares about backwards compatibility? Just plug in your Gamecube if you want to play those games. You do take care of your games and systems, don't you?

oh i think we know who cares faggot.

Poor attempt at torpedoing. 3/10

wow yuo can count too, fuck off you worthless shit

backwards compatibility is a valuable thing but I don't see Nintendo doing anything more than software emulation for their old systems. Also the gamecube is shit

Living in PAL land I threw them all out after realizing how gimped 90% of old games had been. Them continuing that shit on the virtual console is inexcusable.

Bump because it triggers you.

thats what you do when you get on tor isn't it?

I'll take over the spelling if you handle the counting.

this.

>##########################

Opinion discarded.

That pun was criminal.

n64 emulation will probably be shit for a long time, and nintendo has shown no interest in making a good emulator. The N64 may be a pain in the ass to deal with, and a nightmare to get any good visuals out of, but you're still better off getting the original hardware.

aw yeah all 30 games the gamecube easily had nintendo's worst library until the wii u.

I'm seeing dozens for not even $100, controllers, cables, and all. How fucking poor are you? Get a job if these old games mean so much to you

there's plenty for just $50-60. Just need a CRT to not have it look like complete shit tho.

where do you faggots reside. that shit isn't even 20 bucks in the states.

not quite 20 bucks, hardware also has tons of issues, but check 'em.

The good games were fucking fantastic so I really don't give a shit. It was a great system if you liked fun.

Emulation is easily the better choice for N64 (and I would say anything before it). It runs well enough on decent hardware even though emulation accuracy varies.

nothing quite like some of the worst 3D zeldas, shittiest 3D mario games, and fuck I'm already down half the library.

But hey at least melee and f-zero gx exist, right? One of which isn't even made by nintendo. The gamecube was a joke, the original xbox had a much better library even. I feel nothing but pity for kids who grew up with the gamecube, then again, those fuckers treated their games like shit, so maybe even pity is a bit much for those little faggots.

Unless they get rid of their terrible censorship, region locking, and linking consoles and accounts then they are just as bad as valve, Microsoft and Sony combined.

Anyone who feels differently is a delusional fanboy and shouldn't be allowed to vote or drive a car

plenty of gamecube games man, and sunshine wasnt even that bad. better than galaxy anyway.

yea, the hardware has loads of issues. can't afford a few 50$ controllers that can and will have problems eventually and cartridges that degrade and can't save games anymore. ebay and amazon are full of assholes that create artificial scarcity for profit and only sell these things at criminal prices.

You seem angry. Angry about games.

That's NOA/E. The rest I agree with. It's saddest part is they are just issues of policy. They could be fixed with practically zero effort.

read

and I agree, they shouldn't do those things, but they are not as bad as steam/microsoft/sony, they are just not on that level of evil to be 100% honest. call me a fanboy but the Wii U is the only console I didn't regret.

never had any problems with any 64 hardware except the shit controller sticks. easily fixable with ebay and $5 into a new stick. carts don't degrade as much as batteries die, just replace the battery. if you really want to play on the hardware just get an everdrive and sd card, otherwise use a usb64 controller and emulate that shit.

rpi3 would do most of what people want for 35 bucks.

I'm not a Holla Forums wizard like you. I have no idea how to do those things.

(or even know what most of those things even mean)

I was recently impressed by discovering some of my 25 year old NES cartridges were still keeping the saves I made when I last played them a decade ago. What the fuck were those batteries made of?

You only need to know how to use a screwdriver.

holy fuck.
i seriously consider myself as a tech novice and you have just lowered my faith in 8crip.
how old are you kid?
i'll help without spoonfeeding directly
anything you're confused about at all, go to youtube and type it in and type in tutorial after it.

everdrive

rpi3 emulator

n64 stick replacement

any of it. all of it.

the shitty pin connector goes bad before anything else pertaining to the nes, and even then you just have to bend them back up and give them a sanding. the batteries were made out out of real shit before they went the way of the lightbulb. everythings designed to break eventually.

sunshine had horrendous level design. Galaxy may have hurt the movement (although sunshine has its own major problems with movement), god awful levels does make sunshine that bad. There is no defense for how bad the games levels are.

then use a gamecube controller and buy the adapter. I was just looking on ebay and saw n64's for like $55 with a few games and controllers. Dunno what the fuck you're talking about.

it's OK, I still consider you a tech novice considering you're suggesting n64 emulation

I just found a screwdriver and stuck it into an electrical socket, it hurt very much and I almost died. and the worst part is that no videogames came flying out. would not recommend.

us non Holla Forums wizards have no clue how to do anything, and we don't even know how to learn how to do it.

you look at it, ask what you want to do, and google things

shit nigger I set up a Sony BVM without knowing a thing about it. Now I'm well versed in how display technology works and understand how various consoles output. It's easy. Just study.

how did you even find a deal like that? do I just not know how to use ebay? were they dependable sellers? how do you not get ripped off?

how do I study a thing into thin air?

if they fuck you over, you return it. ebay sides with buyers most of the time.

is it really that easy?

I really hope it isn't a let down. of course nobody should buy day1 anything. gotta wait to know if others liked it.

waiting silently in depression

There;s just not much to talk about with it besides wild specualtion. I mean I could sit here and make up ideas, but I don't work for my nintendo ( my dad does though, he said the new pokemon is going to be an mmropg that launches with the console and is set after a nuclear apocalypsce there will be zombies too).

I mean what's there to say? I hope its good.

I guess you're right user, thanks for throwing me a bone though. friendly people like you are the only reason I don't go innawoods

Fuck that. If it looks good I'm gonna dayone to show my support because it would be the only thing about modern gaming that does. I'm full of dread though. If Nintendo goes full Apple audience I honestly feel like there's nothing left but hitting the retro games and pretend the modern world doesn't exist.

That's if the kikes don't start WWIII in Syria this autumn that is.

last day1 I got, I was very dissappoint. got a refund. I want to support nintendo, but I'm worried. remember, they did pokemon go, elaborate surveilance psyop in coordination with prism.

Please no, I don't want to remember.

I know user. I know.