Buyfag / Collector Thread

We haven't had one for a while anons, so it's that time again. We're coming to the end of September, what have you picked up thus far since the last thread? What are you looking to pick up? How's your display coming along?

Anyone fucked about with those new NES clones? I hear good things about them, but probably a modded NES would be better off to play games still. The audio channels are fucking needed in this day and age.

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Super-Mario-64-Nintendo-64-N64-1996-Tested-Works-/322283064239?hash=item4b09914baf:g:4ZsAAOSwLnBX9BVf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I have acquired nothing, as the only game systems I don't own are reasonably obscure in the US, like the Wonderswan series, Neo Geo Pocket series, Japanese computers, and European stuff. I've become less and less interested in actually playing games over the past ten years, collecting just in case I felt the drive to play something, but that hasn't happened.

Also nothing at thrift stores, and yard sales have been a dead zone for game stuff since like 2008. While I can get shit on ebay, there's nothing I really, really want, so I don't even impulse buy shit. I need a new Virtual Boy and Atari 7800, but I don't want to play anything on either, so fuck it.

Here's some old haul photos.

I just couldn't decide on which was the better deal, but if he was gonna act like that, then I'm not going back. gif unrelated.
sorry for the blogpost.

I memorize the inventory of stores I go to, so I can refer people to them for specific stuff, usually. Now, when I go to a classic game store, I'll always buy SOMETHING just to justify the trip.

Fuck clone consoles. If you're going for a clone, go full emulation. Otherwise it's easy to just quickly mod in stereo sound.

So uh, i bought a brazilian "portable" Master System.

Pretty pumped, I could always use more Sim stuff at least. Hopefully they do trades.

My birthday was 2 and 1/2 months ago, but I still haven't gotten everything. Waiting on more money to come in.

I wanted to show my e-peen to this board a while back, but decided to wait. Guess I'll post in this bread (if it's still up) or the next.

I gave my Dreamcast library a massive overhaul, including shit like Project Justice, Gigawing 2, Chu Chu rocket, Bomberman Online, etc, etc

Fucking ripoff, even Jewbay has it for 19 bucks

Haven't picked up much lately aside from these (would have had a third game but it got delayed until next month). Whole year's been a bit of a slow one for pickups compared to the last few ones. Probably a mix of less money to drop on stuff, not needing to be on the look out for stuff as much as before (not much since in buying a game you already have a copy of, unless you're going to give it to someone else), and some places getting a bit wiser on the pricing game.

Also think I should probably update my collection photo soon, but I might wait until that other game comes in next month first.

Been seriously thinking of dropping $15 on Tales of Zestiria for the PS3 since I'd like to imagine I can at least get $15 worth of enjoyment from it and really like the series, but I don't know. If not it's likely to be a really long while until I actually get a new entry in the franchise, since Namco's shifted over to PS4 only.

Did find a new store in town that sells older games, but as expected, they were kind of overpriced. The fact they wanted $3 for a bottle of Coke should have been a good tip-off.

I actually helped some old couple that was looking for particular games for their grandson at a store; they weren't familiar with the area, so I just mentioned where there were some other places they might be able to check. Unfortunately for them, their grandson sounded like he had really expensive taste in what he wanted them to look for. Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't ask a relative, let alone a friend, to drop $130-200 on a single game.

What have you been saving for?

Christ what kind of game is that? Tales of Destiny II, Class of Heroes 2G, Shantae, or hell, Gotcha Force?

I remember flipping shit for spending $2 at an amusement park ten years ago.

I'm eyeing a 360 in particular, I saw a deal on one in great condition for less than $100 not long ago but it was snatched up.

I agree about the lack of exciting new releases this year. The only new titles I've picked up came out this month, DQ VII and SMTIV: A.

So how bad is it? I know the PS1 game has a few fuck ups here and there(sometimes they forget to type in a letter or add a space) but from what i've seen so far they're completely rewriting the game.

I just bought Panzer Dragoon for 35 Canadian dollars, had the original case and manual, but the the front cover was gone. Disc was in mint condition.

How did I do?

I dislike them myself, but since people collect them, thought it was worth a mention.

I don't own an NES still. Waiting to see if one springs up at a nice price with audio mod and RGB.

Post image.

Get Sim 64 next.

Given that in £ I can only find it for 40+, I suppose okay. Probably don't need Eng for that game. Any user got the Diamond Edge w/ PD? That shit would be interesting to see.

So anons, given the fact the Saturn will be gaining the ability to play backups off of USB, will shit hike up even further? Same with PSIO for PS1.

Gotcha Force was the most expensive one they were looking for, yeah. But they'd also been told to look for stuff like Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Cubivore. Apparently said grandson had started to pick up stuff for the Gamecube recently and still wanted/needed the expensive stuff. I told the old folks that there's a chance to find that sort of stuff cheap (I've done so for a few games when I've gotten lucky enough), but it's a pretty slim chance, and the Gamecube stuff has shot up a fair bit in price in general. They seemed a bit miffed at having already spent $30 on a single game that day, so I can only imagine how they'd feel if they even saw Gotcha Force at a store around here at average price (it rarely shows up anyhow).

It wasn't even a big bottle of coke either, just a little halfsize one. They also wanted $3 per can of Monster, but I hear that's at least closer to the general price for those than coke (for fuck's sake, where I live you can get a 4 ounce soft drink at Circle K for $.85, which is nice considering how hot it gets here).

I don't buy all that many new games per year in general; mostly working on my backlog and there's not a huge amount of recent stuff that appeals much to me. Think this year it's just been Odin Sphere Leifthrasir and Coldsteel the Hedgheg II that I've bought at release.

I was going to wait for a bigger price drops on the WiiU's but I managed to find one for 100 roobux, so I just bit the bullet and bought it. Other than that I haven't picked up much lately. I've tried to slow down in recent months because I've been spending a bit too much money. I guess it is also because I have already picked up most of the games I was really wanting for my collection.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've been on the lookout for stuff still for the PS2, Gamecube, and DS mostly, but a fair amount of what I would normally be looking for I already have, and some of the stuff I still want I don't see much and has shot way up in price.

Speaking of price hikes, saw a copy of Kuon recently for $160 used. How that price quadrupled from the $40 it was locally a year or two back, I have no clue.

In my area, resellers are the one driving the prices sky high. It was only a few years ago that I could go and pick up GC or SNES games for 5-10 bucks each regardless of the title. But now, you're looking at 50-60 per title, with the 1st party nintendo titles riding up in the hundreds.

Unfortunately for me, a few of the harder to find games in my collection I had to pay a little more than I wanted for them.

Nah fuck that, over here you can get a liter of pepsi/coke for a dollar

I meant 40 ounce, for some reason my keyboard doesn't seem to like correcting stuff at times.

I can't even bother with picking up SNES carts at this point; only a handful of worthwhile games that are all that cheap while other ones are a good $30-40 or more. And don't get me started on various RPGs and the like. Between prices and the fan-translation scene, I'd rather stick with roms for that system. Gamecube though I occasionally get a decent break. It's been slow to add to, but it feels good when you'e only paying a fraction of the price one of the games goes for normally.

Really hate some of the fonts used in the new captchas.

Unless you have no plans to get it on any other platform I really wouldn't recommend it. It looks and runs horrible, and I was very dissapointed. Will probably sell my copy off and get a ps4 copy if it runs any better.

Yeah thankfully I'm not really SNES collecting. I'm only really chasing a single game right now and that's the complete big box cd version of Planescape: Torment. Most of the ones I come across are in excess of 100 bucks and I'm obviously not going to pay a price so ridiculous. I know there can't be many of them left, but I hold out hope that I can snag a copy before they all disappear.

Yeah, I suppose it was more of a thought since I saw a copy recently pretty cheap (though admittedly both Xillias got rather cheap as well).

How well does Zestiria run compared to the Xillia games anyhow?

Good luck with that. I think in the past I've seen copies only for $20 or so, but I assume those are a non-big box reprint or something.

I suppose it doesn't help that even at used multimedia places, there's usually not a big effort to stock old PC games compared to console and handheld.

Yeah that's exactly the issue. Adding to that, the same issue with SNES and N64; most people threw the boxes away for the games. So it's pretty rare to come across a big box pc game just in general, but trying to look for something specific is even rarer. Having said that, I have already managed to find a few of the big box games on my list so that's something.

lots of people kept big box pc games. pc games aren't worth anything. I own a single tea cup that can buy 80 boxed PC games.

Unfortunately, that "just trash/lose the box" mindset also gets applied to actual sturdy plastic cases a fair bit as well. Doesn't help when stores like Gamestop will trash the bulk of their DS cases and manuals because cart only is easier on storage. I expect them to start doing the same for PS3, Wii, an 360 games soon enough. Hope I can find a cheap copy of El Shaddai locally before then, but it hasn't been going well.

That's going to be difficult. That didn't sell very well did it?

I don't think so, but demand's never been too big for it and it's never been all that expensive when I've seen it around. Main issue is just that I'm not seeing it locally much anymore. Even checking Fucking Gamestop's website, the nearest store with it for the PS3 is a good six miles or so roundtrip, if not more (and that doesn't even give details on whether it's a complete copy or not).

Just recently got a really good stack of N64 games from a customer as a tip (I work pest control and inquired about a box I saw in their basement) That and I was at a convention last month and picked up a complete Faxanadu on NES for cheap, and a bunch of manuals I needed (mainly Lightening Force, Secret of Evermore, and Mischief Makers among others)

Good luck with that, sounds like you're in for a hunt.

Yeah. There's one store around that knows I'm looking for it, but I don't live all that close to them anymore. Wonder when they're going to open a closer location like they've claimed they plan on doing. The nice thing with them is that they'll ship from one store to another if one of their further away locations has a copy.

What N64 games did you come away with?

Most of them were doubles for me, which im gonna be hooking a friend in need up with them. But off the top of my head:

Mario 64
Mario kart 64
Both zeldas
Doom 64
Duke nukem 64
Nightmare creatures
Banjo tooie
Dk64
Diddy kong racing
Turok 1
Tetrisphere

Thats all I can remember. There were about 18 or 20 games total tho.

Pretty good, hope your friend enjoys the duplicates. Never had a N64 myself and while I've got some wads for use on my Wii, not everything's available for playing that way, like Rare's stuff.

Here's a good portion of all the shit i've gotten since the last thread(though some of the DC games are from like, feburary.)

PSP games are still being clearance out at places like walmart, though at this point the selection's extremely limited, there's still a bunch of decent games there. The PS3 "games" i got for a buck each at dollar tree or some shit, and the dreamcast shit is all over the place, i.e Dino crisis was 10 bucks, SA2 was 30, Skies was 50, and Giga wing+MvC2 was like 130 together(sounds like alot, but a disc only copy of GW2 alone is normally ~100 bucks by itself.)

GODDAMIT AS SOON AS I CAN I'M GETTING A DREAMCAST AND THE FUCKING JOJO'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE GAME

PROS AND CONS OVER THE PS1 VERSION

Might be worth noting that both PSP Star Ocean games have undub patches or something if the English audio annoys you. That said, it does require putting the game in a digital format first to my knowledge (also, maybe it's just me, but I think Square broke some of the dialog into more lines than the original script had, and going off a few of the subbed FMVs, added a few lines as well since there's no JP audio for some of them; it doesn't seem like a bad translation job, for FD anyhow, but it can make trying to time moving to the next text box feel a bit off). Just a heads up.

Such things exist? My area doesn't even have a proper vidya store.

I'd rather just mute the VA altogether. Jap audio in shit like games annoys me more than a shitty dub, that said, i can't fucking believe just how awful Second Evolution's dub is compared to the original, where they just lifted bums off the street and handed them a mic and some cash for a few lines.

Sometimes you have to check in the towns around yours. Barring a multimedia place and that store I discovered recently, my town's been so choked with Gamestops everywhere no one's really wanted to open a used vidya store focused on older stuff here. In the surrounding towns though there's less Gamestops and more actual independent used game stores, since they don't have to worry much about being crowded out.

Still, I expect it really depends on where you live whether that's feasible or not. The state capital here has a a number of cities branching directly off of it that have grown big enough that you go from one city or town to the next with no stretches of no-man's land in between. I suspect that some states have a lot further to drive between cities and towns.

I'll admit that PS1 dubs for Japanese games weren't usually all that good (though some like MGS and Koudelka did a stand out job), but the ones that at least sounded like they tried, despite perhaps poor voice direction, do give them a sort of charm. Granted, I haven't played SO2, but with stuff like Tales of Eternia, I didn't ind the English voicing to be great, but it really didn't seem too awful either, and with a few characters there, Reid's VA went on to voicing Sly Cooper, and Meredy's VA went the extra mile with dubbing both the English script as well as the spoken Melnics for her character (as opposed to the latter being unvoiced or reusing the original JP VA's lines for them). I kind of wish we actually knew who all did the voicing for the game, as aside from Reid's voice, none of the others have been identified or credited.

My local game shop gets robbed on occasion by thugs; I don't advise opening one yourself. People are largely shit.

Anywho, bought an Xbone for my brother (he's paying me back in the morning) and a pile of 2600 games from said store. Nothing major, just GI Joe, Tron, and a few others I'd never owned. I need to get off of my ass and record more gameplay, but my videos get maybe 25 views in a year, so I don't care enough.

yeah, but every one in my area usually has absurd prices for games
owning only nintendo consoles is suffering.

Nintendo attracts autists, who have autismbucks. Simple economics.

Yeah, one of the better stores I know of is at least located in one of the nicer parts of the surrounding towns, but even then then they had metal bars on the doors and windows. The store next to them once got broken into, but theirs was left as is, probably since despite having more of value, getting in would have been too much of a hassle.

N64 games are still fairly reasonable in price where I live barring a few (Smash Bros, Ogre Battle, and Conkers being the main expensive ones), but usually aren't in the best shape. With the Gamecube though, at this point you're probably better off emulating or playing them through a program on a modded Wii. Unless you've got the patience to keep searching around for cheaper than normal deals so as to not pay scalper prices, and even then it's slow to add anything. Think my latest Gamecube pick up was Pikmin 2 for $2 this past spring.

In my experience most retro shit is more expensive now days because its gone more mainstream. Especially if its a brand or name that casual or normalfags know like Zelda.

That is one of the beauties of collecting old PC stuff, its still autistic enough that your average normalfag does not know about it and its not LOL SOO QUIRKY NERDY yet .

I personally like the campy dub for the second story, especially compared to bland current year anime dub that the psp remake got. I was just speaking objectively, but yeah there was definitely a lot more to why it was bad than just bad voices, i.e. the gave the VA poorly translated lines like "TEAR INTWO PEECES" or "Crawd has advanced forward, heh"

I recommend an Xbox, like, 50, maybe 60 bucks will get you a long way if you don't order the console itself online.

Huh. Everything in my area except the holy grails for each system is cheap. Now, on eBay and whatnot, you'll find rampant hipster pricing everywhere because trust fund cunts have spoiled the market by spending a king's ransom on the most idiotic shovelware, which had a trickle-up effect in raising the prices of genuinely good and/or rare games and hardware. Thankfully, the omnipresence of the Wii, WiiU, and 3DS have helped to alleviate this with the Virtual Console, so people are ignoring expensive hardware and games, and just PAYING FOR ROMS. Prices are falling a little, but I still see complete bullshit like $200 NES systems at nostalgia shops (games, toys, Matchbox/Hotwheels, cards, old comics) in Buttfuck Egypt.

Wii is piss-easy to hax. I haven't bothered to get mine to run pirate ISOs yet, just NES and SNES emulation, but that's a cheap way to go. There exists a PSX to Gamecube controller adapter, if you hate the Gamecube controller layout. Maps everything well. Lacks analog triggers, though.

I've been thinking of getting an OG Xbox. Anything I should know beforehand besides the modding stuff?

Depends on the system, as well as where you live I suppose. PS2's still pretty reasonable to pick up stuff for, though some games are getting pricy, and the Xbox's library pretty damn cheap on average, to point something like Otogi 1 and 2 being about $15-20 each is actually kind of expensive. And while a number of PS1 games are still pricy, on average they're not too badly priced either; I've heard rumor it already went through the scalper craze phase and has since calmed down aside from stuff that really didn't sell too well. Certainly not like the SNES and Gamecube's price hikes.

DVD drives on the early models are far more likely to completely shit themselves, which in itself can also be a good indicator of if your xbox is a 1.6 or not.

The PS1 version is just the original arcade game, jojo's venture, with a few extras tacked on, while the dreamcast version has both the original and the updated arcade port with no extras, but seems to be as close to arcade perfect as you can get. The DC version is somehow also cheaper than the PS1 version if you can find it, DC is ~80-90 bucks complete, while the PS1 version is ~100-120.

Hmm, my Xbox was acting funky the last time I fired it up. I'll have to see if the clock cap is the culprit, but I'm still sitting on a replacement laser assembly for a Goldstar 3DO, and the postmark on its envelope is…. 06/11/2013. Damn.

I'm thinking about buying a 3DS to hax it, but almost everything for it is shit, even if Treehouse and NISA have fucked it up or not. Besides, a 3DS costs as much as 60% of a cheap AR-15. Priorities…

3DS isn't really worth it unless you want Monster Hunter. If you want a handheld, go for a Vita. Have both, ever since got Vita, it's been my main device.

Picked up Corpse Party, Gravity Daze and MGS HD for Vita for cheap. All need now is a fucking memory card to be able to patch shit.

Cool, i just found a copy of okami and someone selling GC Twilight princess for 13 bucks each.

Got myself a PSQuadruple slim on the week it came out. The PS4 came bundle with the ps4 movie, Uncharted 4. Then, I bought Bloodborne, Ratchet & Clank PS4, Gravity Rush Remastered, Rocket League the physical collector's edition, and Senran Kagura Estival Versus: Endless Summer edition afterward. So far I'm enjoying my PS4 and been playing Bloodborne the most.

Off-Topic: Are the Uncharted games any good?

2 is good and 4 is good. 1 and 3 are pretty bad.

here's the good news. Nintendo consoles suck! Their libraries are pitifully small. As a collector, you may hurt, but the good news is once you hit the N64 and up, there's only about 60 games for each system worth owning. Least of which are gamecube games.

Try being a Saturn collector. A single game is worth more than the price of all of those combined.

1. What's wrong with 1 and 3?
2. Should I get the PS3 or the PS4 trilogy of Uncharted?

This whole post reeks of asshurt nintendrone.

Why don't more indie developers and publishers sell physical mail-order copies? It's got an undoubtedly better profit margin for them over Steam? Even then, it shouldn't be difficult to package a USB Stick / BD-ROM at the very least.

trilogy, 1080p60 makes the games much more playable. 1 is just boring and uninventive in its design. Lots of boring shooting, lots of boring platforming. 3 is lots of boring walkie talkie sections.

tiny libraries define nintendo pretty well the past 4 generations

Just moved and got everything out of storage in to a big metal building at the new home. Looking forward to digging out my consoles and getting it all setup. I have a decent selection of jamma boards to make cabinets for as well. If there is any interest i will keep an eye on these threads and post some pics as i unpack.

Neat, might check out the Uncharted game some time in the future.

Anyone else into making custom cases for their games? I got tired of seeing my N64 stuff just in a box and not all nice and tidy on a shelf with end labels and such. So I took some VHS cases and made these. I think they came out pretty well and now I have a nice way to keep this all stored and actually show off the cover art too.
I just need to find some more multimedia cases I can repurpose for GBC and other handhelds. Already made cassette cases for my GBA games.

Indie devs have no kind of business sense to speak of, for example, the faggot who made a indie game called "i get this call every day" released his game on his website, and then immediately raised the price because he was trying to smash capitalism or some shit.

Definitely. Especially for my GBA stuff.

The only buyfagging that makes sense is arcade cabinets.

would you happen to have a template for making those kinds of cases?

I forgot to ask eariler, but is it worth buying a PS1/PS2 and collecting games?

I do so for my GBA games when I get an opportunity. Just requires a decent printer and some old style DS cases for those.

The PS1 isn't generally too horribly expensive outside a handful of games, and whether that affects you is probably a matter of if you like the sort of games prone to that (it's mostly various JRPGs that didn't sell all that well that are; Tales of Eternia for example was running a good $90-120 complete last I checked). The PS2 library's in a similar state, though some games have been creeping up; the bulk should still be pretty cheap (though even then some aren't the easiest to find, at least locally where I live; MGS2: Substance, for example).

Also worth mentioning that PS2s are backwards compatible with most of the PS1 library (though there's some minor compatibility issues varying on the model to my knowledge), and you might also want to be aware of possible laser issues.

Not bad with Twilight Princess. That's still a good $45+ where I live.

A bunch of money to buy cool books and drink with friends, but it hurts to see how the market escalated quickly in August, makes me feel i left at a good time but also that in the future it will get worse
Planning on buying a GRAFIX card

How do you do, fellow quitters

That's nice, kid

Try to get a PS dubs or trips, preferably slim. PS singles and the regular ones are fucking awful at reading discs, or not shitting themselves in trip's case.
Prices are fucking creeping… For example, Dragon Warrior 7 went up to ~60 bucks when it used to be 40(this ws around the time of the 3DS localization announcement.) and Jojo is somehow more expensive than it is on the much hyped dreamcast.

you really have to have some dedication and time in order to snag a game at anything remotely resembling a decent price. Depending on how dedicated you are it's not entirely uncommon to find a decent enough deal.

That's not to say you won't find plenty of good games for cheap, its just the hype isn't as dead as i've heard some user's say it is.

I'd have thought the PS1 version of Dragon Quest VII would have gone down some or at least become more available to find for sale due to the 3DS version being announced to come over and at least some people opting to "upgrade." Maybe it's not the same, but I saw a big influx of copies of Pokemon Emerald suddenly available locally when the 3DS remakes of the Hoenn titles was released (prices depending on the store; most wanted $30-40, but I did see some for $20 or so too).

God fucking damn I can't get over how gorgeous it looks. Where's the future where we're carrying these fucks around like cyberdecks?

Already dunked 3 years and something on this, i cannot compete with the ever increasing amount of fucktards and tryhards in the newly formed Collector Scene
Newly formed because those scrubs made it into another realm, back then we just walked in obscure places to snatch something good at decent prices from time to time while searching calmly and nicely with the store owners/unknownly vendors, now it's about teenagers acting tough and bloating/negotiating stuff they found at raided stores
These obscure places got wise or get raided daily by this bucks, the really obscure places also disappear from time to time

Suddenly it's cool to collect (been like this for a year) and the joy and reward is over unless you funnel all the time and resources (say, transport) on this to compete with them

Here are the minicassette-case Game Boy insert templates some nifty person made forever ago.

Alas, minicassette cases aren't exactly common, and you still have to modify them for practical use.

I got a Final Fantasy 1 on NES with box and 80+ pg instruction manual. The game is in perfect condition, box isn't all that bad.

I've been eyeing this for a bit and it looks quite sexy and useful for a niche handheld linux pc for emulating and anything else a pc could do but the price is what puts me off for being 500-529 euros which pretty much means shitty conversion rates where I live. I could try preordering one but I ponder whether it would be worth it in the long run since it is advertised as being modular and upgradable without having to buy a whole new device.

Don't. If the Pandora was anything to go by, give it a year to see how it develops or if it falls to pieces as I expect.

Noice. Mine's in near perfect condition, but I will never play it again. Not because I have it complete, but because I remember every damn minute of the game, and I haven't played it for three years.

I heard a few things about the pandora getting some "fixes" after it was launched but I'm not too sure since I just heard of theses guys now.
But seriously what did happen with their pandora?

I usually say no from my own experience with the thing. I bought into it expecting it as an upgrade from the PSP, what a fuck up that was.

Build quality alone is terrible. The fucking battery isn't still in the compartment, and the Pandora auto turns on when the battery connects for some fucking absurd reason. This leads to when you're walking about, if you so much as gently knock, you could knock the battery out and put it back in, eventually leading to the fucking thing needing to be flashed again.

Also as far as emus go, think PSP, some are better here and there, others are on par (SNES barely fucking works), others just don't match it (PS1, that's a given I know, but worth mentioning.)

As far as computer side goes, it's a nice idea in theory, but it's too small to type fuck all on. You'll barely use the computer side of it in the long term.

Also shit to do with the guys behind it, think one ran off with money after taking orders, but don't know much else behind it.

Please God heavens no.

They have Intel Atom tablets for 99 dollars, surely you can do better than the Pandora dude, I have an Atom tablet, they're fucking great, Intel HD series is capable of a lot of light PC games at acceptable settings like Source Engine games. No fan, battery lasts 5 hours even with heavy media use. Why the fuck do people think ARM shit is the means to an end for portable devices when recent Intel Atoms beat ARM in nearly every single way?

This is one of those rare products where I know I can't justify purchasing one, but I still really want to anyway. ~$500 is a lot for an emulation machine, but simply no one else is trying to do what this does. The closest is the GPD Win 10, and I don't think it's going to be able to beat the build quality or form factor.

Christ, you can get an (((i3))) laptop for less than that, and emulate almost everything under the sun. Pocket portable ain't more comfortable than even a one-strap pack. I say this carrying a steel framed pistol everywhere.

You could build a SBC into a portable and have a better emu machine at a fraction of the cost. If you're going to the 500 range, you may as well go for a tablet.

I have a Surface Pro 2, it's decent for emus and around the same range.

Very true, but then I can't pretend it's a futuristic DS!

Are you kidding me?

500 fucking dollars

Do you have 0 sense of money? Who would pay 500 bucks for hardware a phone service provider gives you for fucking free as an entry-level device for signing a contract?

Well at the very least I won't burn money away on the dragonbox pyra after all, Emulating on the go is something I'd want but I'm probably gonna wait for something else, I sort of liked the idea of a portable physical keyboard though.

Keep an eye on the Vita if want an emu machine on the go for cheap. Since 3.60 CFW, shit's coming along nicely. Could prove useful.

Always have smartphones and shit as well.

Just get an Intel Atom tablet and one of those attachable USB keyboards. Seriously man, modern Atoms are really good

Ok then. Also I found a PS1 with all the hookups and 1 controller for $15, no taxes. Is that worth a buy?

Pls respond

I still have mine, and even I would buy it without a second thought. Hell, I'd probably do that for the controller alone.

for 15 bucks? fuck yea nigga.

Do you know if it even works?

From what I've been told, they test the laser to see if it works before they put it up for sale.

If the controller is a dual shock then by all means pick it up

Let's see if the actual pdn file will post. That way you can at least get all the layers and such correct.
This is sized to fit in one of the big plastic Disney style VHS cases. 11.5'x8.25'

Ok, and it won't post the pdn image. I can post a png, but that isn't quite as helpful. But I really don't know of a good way to host the other file to send it.

thanks, user. I'll see what I can do with this.

There was some sort of mega upload or whatever site. But I cant remember what it was right now. It would be a lot easier to get the pdn file so then you can turn on and off the only on N64 bit and such. I'll see what else I can figure out.
I will say if you also go this route that you need some sort of inserts yo hold the cartridge inside the case, otherwise it just bangs around.
I got some foam from Michael's craft store and cut it to fit in the case, and then cut out an N64 cart sized hole too. It worked perfectly.

Age verification issues.
Steam is a convient way for kiddos to lie about their age, bypass age verification and buy PEGI18/M-rated. That's the main reason why they stopped selling physical/retail.

And speak of the devil, found a complete copy of MGS2: Substance in excellent condition for a cheap $8 locally yesterday. I'm still not real sure why that one pops up so infrequently, while (for comparison in terms of extended rerelease editions) MGS3: Subsistence can be found just about anywhere with a half decent selection of PS2 games to sift through (same with the original releases of MGS2 and 3, as well as that MGS PS2 boxed set that included MGS1 in a DVD sized case; it's just Substance that seems uncommon/borderline rare to find).

I would have thought the idea behind a lot of devs/publishers opting for digital only on the PC was more due to cutting out as much actual production costs as they could get away with, to the point that even what games do get boxed releases still tend to just have a voucher code to download the game from Steam or GoG. But then again, I'm not real big on PC gaming myself, so I might be wrong.

You REALLY don't need the ratings if you're just belting out a small physical run, just look at limited run game's lineup.

Or, alternative for PC, indiebox.

Which still confuses me even more, as Steam/Valve takes a whopping 30% cut out of total sales of a game. And if devs want to keep their revenue stream, why not just jump onto Desura (RIP In Pieces) and itch.io?

Age Ratings are mandatory in most civilized countries on the world, cost money and cause hassle. For example in some countries you can't legally post physical 18+ games (They have to be sold in special "liquor stores").
While you can entirely skip the rating system and sell to minors, if you sell digital only. Problem solved.

Only for games sold over Steam. Vouchers in boxes cost nothing.
You know that most "key stores" sell keys from actual physical copies.

You can run any game on a tablet if you stream it over WiFi.

Can we get some scalper hate going?

You do know that you can respond to multiple posts in a single post, right? You just click on the post number of the post, and >>###### appears in your response text.

Resellers are going under, as the leftist narrative to claim that video games are for racist misogynist retards is chasing hipsters away. I'm not seeing retarded prices as often as I did in the late 2000s.

Is there any point anyone, user? Nintendo shit will remain high no matter how much we bitch. I'm mad at the collectorfaggots who hoard dev carts and unreleased games, instead of putting the ROM or shit out there for people to make use of.

I wish someone would fix the port of System Shock 2 for Dreamcast, but I know it'll never happen.

ofc

Yeah, but not fast enough
One of the stores owns basically all the games in the three surrounding cities

Just take solace in flashcarts whilst waiting for a good price to come along online, or 2nd hand shops.

The S/NES and Gamecube stuff certainly, N64, Wii U and maybe regular wii i don't see going all that insane save for a very, very, VERY select few games(for example, the first bayonetta game on wii u, or the original smash bros on n64), nobody seems to really give a shit about those(or in the wii's case, everything that came close to being rare was reprinted since nintendo somehow still supports the wii)

I'm mad at the collectorfaggots who hoard dev carts and unreleased games, instead of putting the ROM or shit out there for people to make use of.
Oh god those faggots are the worst, the kind of people who treat gaming like the fucking stock market.

If that were true than indie devs would be chased away also, yet i still see faggots like Phil Fish shill "I can't believe it's not virtual boy tetris".

10 bucks for a CiB Turok 2 and Fighters Destiny for free?

Sure why not..

Also found a Perfect Dark Sealed a couple weeks ago.

They don't make video games, they make globalist propaganda software, from Soros Software.

Burn the store down.

I know but its all good, the sticker they had on there was easy to get off.

Why is Xbox classic such a bitch to emulate?

Nobody wants to work on it. Something about how most of it's games are already on other consoles that are emulated, or nintendrones/sonybronies are threatening the few people who even try, i'm not entirely sure which.

Why though?

Picked up Tetris 2 and Super Mario World 2 for Game Boy, complete in box for 12 and 20. Did I fuck up?

X86 emulation and hardware that's unknown outside a few guesses. No one can be fucked to do it.

Why the fuck would that even be considered plausible.

Thing is thanks to the SEGA chihiro or whatever, the arcade machine that's just an xbox with some extra ram or some shit, we have the documentation.

That's just what i heard, the person that said sounded like a leftist though, so it probably wasn't that serious.

xboxhueg is a bitch to emulate because each game has a unique encryption scheme (serial number based) that gets decrypted in real time by a dedicated chip on the system

it's not enough to create an interpreter for the code–you'd have to either decrypt the files or emulate the chip

rumor has it that someone's ponied up the cash to hire Dr Decapitator to analyze the chip, so it should only be a matter of time

So those iso to hdd-ready programs in Windows actually decrypt the disc? I always thought that the "security" behind the Xbox disc was a bunch of dummy files.

Also, pic with filename related, I'm the user that went to Dallas, not Austin.

For $12 & $20 complete in box that sounds like you did well to me user. Handheld collecting is mostly affordable besides a couple of titles.

I love being able to collect complete in box GBA games from anywhere between $10-$30. Advance Gunstar Heroes, Advance Guardian Heroes, Breath of Fire II, Klonoa 2, & Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland are just a few I happened to scoop up this last month.

On the topic of collecting, do you anons have any sort of preparation for the future? We're content collecting shit now, but any plans on what to do with it when you're dead/dying?

Morbid I know, but thought it was an interesting point of discussion none the less.

Give all my shit to my daughter most likely. Either that or sell it off when I'm an old fart if there's still a market for it.

Not exactly planning on dying any time soon, but I figure if something happens a friend of mine would probably get some good enjoyment out of the games I've got.

Maybe it's just me, but I might have passed on that if I had seen it, considering Capcom saw no reason to fix the notoriously poor translation in bringing the port over (something that Square had started to do at the time).

Good luck trying to find some of the more popular/expensive GBA games complete.

If you've already got kids, I do hope you're trying to instill a good sense of taste in vidya for them, at least when the time comes that they might be into it.

Well yeah, but meant in the distant future. Personally would consider giving shit to a computer museum or some shit, assuming I had anything interesting for them.

Probably will be. We'll live to see even launch SNES games go to 4 digit marks.

As of this autumn. I started more actively buying mega drive games. My latest pick up are Thunder Force IV 20 something euros, mega games 2 10 something euros, loose mega drive 10 euros and official mega drive power adaptor 10 euros. Also i got JVC tm-1700pn pro monitor only for 35 euros.
Maybe my next pick ups are n64 expansion pak and new n64 controller or replacement joystick for the controller.

Honestly, I don't know whether to be happy or disgusted.

I have a daughter, I doubt she will continue to play vidya once she hits highschool

Some will. I knew a girl back in high school that was heavily into vidya on account of her brothers and parents having been into it as well when she was younger. Had pretty decent taste in games too, at least until another friend introduced her to Assassin's Creed, after which that taste went down the shitter.

I suppose it would depend on whether or not they're the sort that wind up just going with the flow and eventually only playing what's popular with the idea of getting male attention, or continue to have a passion for stuff that's not Halo, CoD, or other generic modern shit. Though that's assuming they're still playing games at that point.

Always get a GC to N64 adaptor if want a better controller.

It's almost amusing really to go from when they first came out and available everywhere, to possibly in 40-50 years be treasure relics of a bygone time. Pretty sure some Ebay faggot would word it like that as well.

Fucking Ebay. The amount of ripoff shit I have seen on there is sickening. There's even retro vidya stores on Ebay. Not to mention that every retard with a phone looks up those listed prices and thinks that's what the games are worth.

It must suck for people who are just starting to collect now.

I have managed to find resonable ebay retrosellers where i buy occasionally (mostly sega mega drive stuff). They are mostly from UK and germany. I don't know what kind of sclaping is going on in U.S. side of ebay. I would like to buy locally but in my area there is no vidya or retro stores. If i find something retro game related in my local flea market, they are mostly over priced becouse retards think they have gold in their hands. Also my regions ebay equivalent site has even more scalped prices becouse scandinavian releases are kinda semi rare. I don't even want to think about how much my cib palcom bucky 'o hare is worth today. 5 years ago i payed something like 80€ for it.

I grab most of my games nowadays from there, it's just searching really.

I thought that wasnt exactly the case. The guy who made Retro City Rampage said that he didnt need to get a rating for the physical release. Since the game was not being sold in stores or something he was able to get away with it not being rated. Same as what Limited Run Games does now too. Hardly any of their physical games have an actual rating on them.

I rarely ever use ebay when it comes to games. But then again, for most of what I buy used, I tend to just go to local stores instead, since chances are I can save some money in comparison at some of the better ones I know of, as well as be able to double check the condition of stuff personally. As far as Amazon and used games go, I only tend to use it if there's a game I've been wanting but haven't seen locally in a long time (Steambot Chronicles, for example). Most of what I've bought on there are actual new prints of stuff (be it the rare new game, or just reprint copies of stuff).

Depends on the system. I already had some Gamecube stuff from a few years back, so I don't mind grabbing stuff when I occasionally see it cheaply. But with the SNES, I really can't justify doing so when so much of the system has gone way up in price.

On the AUS side of Ebay the bargains are few and far between. I mainly have a problem with ebay being used as the be all end all metric for vidya pricing.

That's pretty much what I do too. I use the Australian equivalent to craigs list. As well as checking out the local stores from time to time and keeping in touch with a few other collectors in my area.

This reminds me of how tf2 item trading went full stock exchange. Various sites has for every possible item some suggestive prices in keys and ref. Of course everybody started using these suggestions as definite values what we have to follow becouse some site says this hat is x amount becouse supply and demand and what not.

Note how many of those sellers come from Israel :^)

The website you're looking for is vogboxart. I don't know if you can upload pdn files but I used to upload psd's all the time there. There's even a paint.net script to turn your file into psd on the forums. Have fun

my yakuza collection is coming along nicely

What's that bottom one, a movie? If so, it seems a bit odd that it would have both the English and Japanese names for the series on the spine, unless they were anticipating people importing.

what the fuck are they smoking

The copy I have is of the American release. I've watched it, 50% of the things that happened in it had nothing to do with the events of the first game. Kiryu is barely a character in his own movie. Majima has some nice moments though.

Wait, it saw an actual western release? Surprises me a bit considering how on and off Sega's been about bringing the games themselves over, at least since Yakuza 4/Dead Souls, to the point we're only now starting to get them again.

I just bought a few Press(review?) copies of PS3 games a britbong and some Portuguese was selling. They're the same as retail, and they didn't come with the manual(instead they just crammed the front/back cover in there), but damn if it's not neat.

To be fair, Tales of Xillia 1 and 2 didn't even come with actual manuals, and Namco was so cheap that, at least here in the US, they printed the safety warnings on the back of the cover art.

Still kind of neat to see those covers properly sized and everything for jewel cases, though that is a lot of ratings shit PAL has to deal with on their covers at times (I mean, on that copy of Xillia 2 that eats up like a third of the actual space for the art).

That's because namco is lazy and doesn't like to print out more than 1 version for everything that's not japan. though at least one of those ratings are just a sticker they plastered on the box, like in this other bamco game.

Well, at least there's that. Still seems like they take up a lot more room than just the simple US ESRB rating goes.

What's the difference for all those age rating labels there anyhow? I mean, why need so many in the first place. Does just the PEGI rating not suffice?

In the early 2000s some guy did go spree-killing his school and fags blamed it on video games. Since then these ratings tripled in size.

I suppose, but what I'm trying to figure out is why something like that copy needs three separate ratings labels. I mean, what's the difference between USK and PEGI, why does it need both of them, and why have a third age rating tab that treats it like a movie when it already has the other two? Maybe it's just me, but it seems redundant that a game would need to go through more than one rating company to release.

Also, I suppose I'm just going off of how it works in the US, but do the backs of PAL games tend to have a section devoted just to explaining what all the rating means (here in the US we have the general letter on the front in the ESRB box, while a bigger section on the back actually explains what prompted that rating)?

IIRC USK is the German ratings and the one that's just a sticker is the Aussie ratings(much stricter compared to PEGI, and more prone to censorship or just banning games altogether.) while PEGI is just for everyone else.

Different laws in different countries:
PEGI is an industry-based self-rating: The game publisher decides for that demography he thinks his game is appropriate.
That's not good enough for Germany, where the USK/FSK is actually examining the movies/games, which then get a rating by "experts". Same stuff goes on in Australia, I think, with another separate rating of course.
The third rating, the US one works the same as PEGI, so it indeed PEGI should be good enough.
But there are cultural differences, so stuff which gets PEGI12 often gets rated M for the US. Or PG-13 becomes PEGI18 in EU and banned by USK and in Australia. :^)

They're alot more vague than the ESRB is, they just use a few illustrations rather than actually tell you what the game has.

The ratings system existing at all was a reaction primarily to Mortal Kombat, but also a 32X game called Night Trap, which the evening news programs of the mid 1990s falsely portrayed as being something of a rape simulator (it's actually about vampires). Moral panic was alive and well.

Unlike today, with the leftist SJWs doing all they can to Shut It Down, the 1980s and 90s moral crusades were more driven by the Religious Right's opposition to sexual and anti-Christian themes in media, as well as what was seen as increasing levels of violence in games.

In 2002, I was home from college working at a video store for gas and game money. One young mom in particular had a five-year old boy who wanted to rent Resident Evil. Good taste, but the kid was five. His mom was well aware of the rating, and she didn't care at all.

I learned that summer that American parents will absolutely flip their shit if little Tommy or Jessica sees some titties or a cock, but they have no problem letting those same kids watch movies or play games where people are shot, stabbed, blown up with grenades, or eaten alive by the walking dead.

/blog

Those same fucking retards buy their children smartphones and tablets, to use without any sort of restrictions or supervision. The irritating part is, the parents aren't so old as to be completely ignorant of the fact that porn is easier to find on the web than useful information.

Once you get the meanings of those "illustrations", it becomes clear, why age ratings are bullshit.

Yeah, here in the US, the back of Xillia 2 lists off blood, mild language, suggestive themes, use of alcohol, and violence as the justification for being rated T (which is the usual rating Tales has gotten here), as opposed to just violence and gambling as the back of that PAL case suggests. Though I suppose different regions view things as being potentially bad for younger ages differently (I know in Japan it got a higher than average age rating for a Tales game, namely due to there being a bleed status if memory serves).

I see, thanks. And I feel bad for people in Australia that are into vidya for a number of reasons. The ratings board kind of takes the cake though, especially when they refuse to so much as look into a given game, meaning stuff like Valkyrie Drive and MeiQ aren't officially releasing there (does that sort of thing also block them from being bought digitally through the PAL PSN for people living there, or just physical copies?).

Eh, i dunno about the ESRB, but this one sure as fuck is retarded since they still don't really explain shit. Like violence is so fucking broad it could be Anything and the "fear/horror" thing implies shit like GORE is aok for 7-12 year old kids.

The most important icon is "Discrimination". It's basically tells you, that the game isn't cucked by SJWs.

I'd certainly say that there needs to be a difference in how things are weighted, even here in the US. Somehow Shadow Hearts: Covenant only got rated T here compared to the M rating of Shadow Hearts. I mean, sure, there was next to no blood this time around, but the main character is still a lovable perverted asshole, the language is ramped up (nothing like actually hearing the protag outright call an enemy "Shithead"), and one sidequest ends with Joachim in an "I win and I fuck your ass; I lose and you fuck mine" situation with a fatass currynig. Ideally, you beat The Great Question as Joachim, and then Joachim fucks Q in the ass in front of the protagonist and a fifteen year old girl in the party (the former being horrified and the latter being quite interested), with nothing left ambiguous about it. If you ask me, it should have stayed M regardless of being more lacking in blood.

I shit you not, the guy who was selling Mario 64 for $50 determines his prices by looking onto ebay before telling you the price if you ask him about it. Pic unrelated.

He's blowing smoke up your ass, Super mario 64 isn't even 50 bucks on kikebay, in fact the very first fucking thing i see when i typed in "Super mario 64" isn't even half that shit.
ebay.com/itm/Super-Mario-64-Nintendo-64-N64-1996-Tested-Works-/322283064239?hash=item4b09914baf:g:4ZsAAOSwLnBX9BVf

This is why Krikzz is a god. Fuuuuck resellers to hell. Everdrives forever.