VN thread

So, Keys latest VN, Harmonia, just released and got translated.
How is it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WGOCCWn9KKI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's as if they're not exact same shit every single time.

But they're not?

I haven't played a VN in ages but I fucking love Key.

Should I go for it?
Little Busters! is my favourite visual novel of all time and Clannad is my favourite anime so I guess you could call me a bit of a Key fanboy.

Dont know, thats why Im asking here

Well if it's a Key novel then chances are it'll be good enough to make you laugh and hit you with a few moments that'll make you cry.

All you need to decide is whether you like the scenario.
Getting some serious reverse-Planetarian vibes from this.
If you liked Planetarian, go for it. I know I will.

Someone recommended Tsuushinbo because he liked the artstyle, almost half a year ago now.

I'm just dropping in to say thanks to that guy. It's pretty decent. I finished Kotone's route first, which contained a bit more feels than I expected but was overall good. I decided to blitz through Emi's route second, because Emi is a shit and I like to save the best for last.

I figure in another 2 months or so, I'll have gotten through it. My Japanese is complete ass, and honestly I'm losing a bit of interest since I'm in Emi route, but I will persevere.

Dropped it midway
Just felt too boring and repetitive and the twins barely get any screen time.
I felt like Kanon was much more enjoyable.

Both VNs have the same likeness in my opinion though.
post the tanuki

Where are the tits?

it really, really doesn't pick up until the second season (After Story).
It's a lot like the visual novel in that respect. A lot of people dropped it thinking it was going to be some generic slice of life shit but then the second half hits you like a train.

Plus Sunohara's arc was in the second season and that was my favourite of them all.
It's complete bullshit how they go out of their way to show that, despite being at constant odds with eachother, Tomoya and Sunohara are actually so much closer than just friends, but then Tomoya drops Sunohara like a hot potato and forgets he even exists when they grow up.

It kinda has that kinda comfy atmosphere Key works have but then it just goes full retard.
Kanon was consistently comfy.
Dont know if I should pick it up where I left off, I still remember most of the story arcs.

It only goes full retard once the dragon balls come into play, which is only the last, like, tenth of the game (if even that).
But yeah, the dragon balls really fucked it all up. Now, something like Rewrite where magical bullshit plays an integral part in the story from start to finish? It works there, because you know it's part of the world. Even in something like Little Busters!, you get a feeling that things aren't as they appear pretty early on, so you're prepared for it when they hit you with it.

Clannad just went full Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit at the end.

This is my third Key novel and this is probably my least favorite so far. I've only gone through Kanon and Planetarian prior.

Is it good? It's acceptable, maybe mediocre, but holy hell is it disappointing how similar to Planetarian it is. Setting, plot, etc. One character even has the exact same backstory as Yumemi.

The end run is underwhelming. Climax tries a little too hard to be exciting and fucks things up just to get us to that moment in every Key novel where you might cry.

Also, I posted this in the /vn/ thread, but one character in particular is a total waste. You'll know early on who I'm talking about because their story ends within the first few chapters.

If you like Key that much, then you might as well get it now while it's still 20% off.

I haven't actually played Planetarian so maybe I'll play that instead, since even I can tell they're similar just from the summary alone.

I'll get around to it later. Sucks to be adding stuff to my backlog that I've finally started taking bites out of after a year of nogames, but whateva.

Isn't it sad?

They'll live on forever in our hearts and our fighting games…

Bump

Post the best bros in visual novels.

Loose-legged whores need not apply.

Are there any good non-Jap VNs or are they all shit?

In all honesty, I don't know what you're aiming for here.
Visual Novels are very, very heavily ingrained in Japanese stylings and culture. A Western visual novel will most likely be attempting to emulate the very Japanese style of world-building, scenarios, and characters, which is why most people consider Western visual novels to be inferior as a whole. It just doesn't work out, outside of very rare cases like Katawa Shoujo (which you can tell by the name alone is going to be very Japanese-inspired).

I think you might be looking for games more along the lines of interactive movies, which are actually something the West does to an acceptable level.
Fahrenheit / Indigo Prophecy is the king of the bunch, though it also infamously coined the term "The Fahrenheit Effect" in which a script goes to complete shit in the last quarter, so keep that in mind.
Heavy Rain, despite being constantly derided, is actually great for what it is. Just try not to think about the plotholes too much, because there are a TON of them.
Other than those two, your only other options consist of Telltale's games (which aren't as bad as some people would make them out to be).

There are two writers for Harmonia. One who's never done anything else and Kai, who did the Fujibayashi sisters' route in Clannad as well as some other shit you've never heard of.

Additionally this translation looks awkward at best, but I guess peasants are used to that by now.

Planescape Torment

Telltale The Walking Dead (only season 1) and The Wolf Among Us are also pretty good movies

What is Lord of the Rings?

you kind of fucked up with that thumbnail

(Dont' click if you want to avoid Planetarian spoilers):
youtube.com/watch?v=WGOCCWn9KKI

Not a spoiler. Thumbnail was from early on in the game when Yumemi gets splashed with water because she was "in heat." It was a pretty comedic scene.

Here's an actual spoiler: Yeah, it's a spoiler. I accidentally embedded. :^)

Not a visual novel?

Do not bully the sacchin

No, but it is western. You're saying that world-building and the like are a western thing, but Lord of the Rings is probably the definitive example of a writer whose worldbuilding was better than his own literary talent. That's not to say LotR is bad, but it's nothing too complex for an elementary schooler to read. What makes it truly amazing is the world around it.

the scene in the VN when the junker injects his fluids into her to cool her off was way better than that, to bad it was replaced in the cartoon.

I'm saying visual novels, regardless of the actual setting, all follow a very similar structure. Western visual novels try to follow that structure but more often than not fail at it.
That's all I'm trying to say.

Now that I would agree with. But I don't think it has anything to do with them being western. If anything, it has to do with them being derivative. That is to say, most western VNs are made by a bunch of weebs who like VNs, but don't really understand the mechanics, and want to try to make eastern VNs despite being westerners. If westerners were to just go ahead and make a western VN, it wouldn't be a problem.

If this was Phoenix Wright I'd probably raise an objection here.
But seriously, I get where you're coming from.

The problem is that, as a whole, visual novels are something that Japan basically holds sole claim of.
Western writers stick to more traditional media (such as short stories, novels, or comics) instead of attempting to make a game out of something that would fit better into the mentioned categories, because that traditional media is the norm.
Even when it comes to branching paths, choose-your-own-adventure novels are more standard, and WRPGs are the norm for storytelling in video games in the west.

Really though, the West just doesn't seem to care for slice-of-life simulations (which are what visual novels typically boil down to, even in fantastic settings). I can't think of any Western games, visual novels or otherwise, that involve just living your life outside of something like The Sims (which is more of a 'play god' game than anything).

Where do you guys find the latest translated VNs, been wanting to read more lately, but don't know where to look

I prefer ones past 2010, because graphics

just replayed nekopara, and noticed this.

What do you think they meant by this

Erogedownload honestly.

Thanks, they made it so you can do it with one click now too, that's mostly why I didn't use to use this website

Anyone got any recommendations? I want one mainly after 2010 with a good story

Hadaka Shitsuji

Also reminder that this is finally being translated

"Translated" by Sekai Project.

It has mechs so I will pirate it regardless.

Could be worse

Can you altogether skip (not just fast forward) the not gameplay parts?

I never heard of anyone saying that.

It's been quite a while since I've seen an idea as bad than this.

Anyway, there's the Scenario Jump function, but you need to clear the game to get it and you'd constantly have to go to the menu and pick ONLY the nodes with a battle on them.
Not to mention that just about any save with the game completed would be OP in the earlier stages.

It is not like a competent translation is coming either way.

Umineko if you are willing to invest 200 hours into two VNs with a terrible first couple hours, amazing middle, and eh-tier ending. Grisaia if you want to play the only good comedy harem self insert sort of shit. Saya no Uta is great, but you have already probably read it. Steins;Gate is probably the best english translated VN but you have probably seen the anime if you are a weeb. G-senjou has always been known as a pretty good one. Sekien no Inganock if you are up for a pretty cool setting and confusing story. Cross Channel has two terrible translations but is apparently great, I haven't read it.

It wasn't likely, but now it's basically guaranteed. VNs almost never get retranslations, and the people crazy enough to try are either just as bad as the first guy or worse.

You could always learn Japanese.

A competent translation was actually quite likely before the announcement, since Aroduc(of Kamidori fame) was working on it.

I hear SP hasn't ever contacted his team about it, so fuck knows where it will go.

I already know Japanese.

Ignoring his translation ability, he doesn't like Sky so I don't know why anyone would want him working on it anyway.

Seriously?

Why the fuck would anyone waste that much time translating something they don't like?

He said he didn't like Kamidori either, but he still translated it very well relative to most VN translations.

You'd have to ask him. Though I doubt you'd get a straight answer.

That says more about the state of most translations than anything. "I am a shoestring" Ixrec's translations are above average for VN translations.