Comfy map makers thread

More games with map editors like this? I know Tzar and Warcraft 3 had some god-tier editors too.

On another note I still haven't figured out how to change the hero unit, but when I do…

Other urls found in this thread:

gamefaqs.com/pc/914785-age-of-wonders-shadow-magic/faqs/31634
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You'll make an RTS knockoff called DOTA?

Minecraft :^)

Nope, I'll probably make comfy quest maps and short campaigns or at least fix the fucking terrible descriptions and hero lore they used in this game.

Not much on creating my own maps, but the AoW series does have really nice looking maps. Just the aesthetic and art style and all that. Probably the best looking maps in a 4x series I can think of.

I used to make maps for my little brother. It was an ongoing story, chronicling King Poop and his rise to power. Now I have nobody to make maps for so I had to learn to actually play the game.

same here
Why dont we both post them and play eachother maps
unless its too gay for Holla Forums

Age of Empires 1 had a surprisingly comprehensive editor.

(OP)

you playing whit the unoficial patch?

Perhaps post in the agdg threads. They allow for vidya mods and user content is pretty much the same thing

Yeah. I want to add some mods that add new units and structures, but I don't know many yet.

20 years later I'm still mad.

They're all gone now but I can make new ones.

Also Heroes 3 editor was pretty baller.

Age of Mythology's editor was pretty fun.

It's true though. Minecraft is Good-tier to make interesting buildings to explore. Too bad the rest is shit, we could have had a dungeon crawler maker.

Can I make my own spells?

You can if you mod them. I haven't gotten into this but I will because I want varied hero units and I still can't find how to change them or add alternatives.

Any mod that does that? So far I can only change portraits.

If you mod it.
I think I will since I want to make heroes have different unit styles instead of the generic horseman.

Fuckshitdickniggercuntfag. Site told me there was a posting error the first time. That's what using a phone does to you, I guess.

I always enjoyed those comfy nights playing around with level editors when I was younger. Hours upon hours would pass without my notice while I was figuring things out in BUILD.exe and making cheaty resource-heavy maps in Settlers II.

Is the last one Vvardenfell?

What vidya is the second pic from?

Who hear liked to make Museum/Zoo levels with level/map editors? I can't be the only one.

First two are Shadow Warrior, last two are Settlers II.

Is the Classic Redux version of SW any good?

Half-Minute Hero Second has a great editor if you wanna make comfy little RPGs that last a few minutes.

That said you can't customize sprites as far as I know.

Does map making count as game devving?

Depends on the level of map making? There's a difference between, say, making a warcraft 3 melee map and designing a new game out of warcraft 3 assets.

I miss the days of games with editors that were simple enough to use that you could learn them in one sitting. Strategy games of the 90s almost had them as a de rigeur feature.

Heroes 2 (GREAT editor and fantastic art design), Heroes 3, Warcraft 2, et cetera.

I've learned to use devkit-tier mod tools that are annoying as fuck, so it's not a matter of me being an idiot, but making a quick map in Heroes 2 map editor is indeed, just plain "comfy" and scratches a far different itch than opening NWN2's editor.

Hey anons, what do you look for in a map?
Do you like defense maps?
Do you like back and forth battles?
Do you like maps with small back doors or upper paths for harassing the enemy?

No back and forth battles. Unless your wave of soldiers gets defeated.
I like maps with several paths with their advantages and disadvantages so you have to take risks in one way or another. Then also maps with lore and stories to tell.

I don't know that game, but from your description of it and the screenshot, I immediately though of the Heroes of Might and Magic series.

Here is my rating for them, from best to worst, only taking into consideration the ones I have played: 3,2,5,4.

While 4 is pretty bad in terms of balance and just about everything else, it really went to shit after 5. Ubisoft acquired it and fucked everything up. But prior to that, you have a bunch of really solid games, and the weakest link, 4, can be fixed with mods.

Heroes 2 is extremely punishing, and the AI cheats in a way that is too obvious. If you spend an autistic amount of time on it, you can master it. But just the normal difficulty setting is crazy. Those that master that game swear by it.

For me, there is so much nostalgia associated with HoMM III. I think it's the best balanced of them all and the game with most character. If you like turn based strategy, you have to play it.

Thanks to Russian autists, there is an endless supply of extremely punishing but well designed and good scenarios to download and play. But they have taken it to such levels of autism that few have a chance of beating those scenarios. A lot of the strategies requires exploits and stuff.

It's really amazing the stuff that has been done with that game since it was released so long ago.

It's good, but like you mentioned the exploity nature of where the game went kind of makes it hard for me to enjoy later scenarios, not to mention MP.

Still, it's the best example of a community for an ancient game, I only wish we had something like that in the west.

I don't think its quite as comfy as the other editors shown in this thread, but I've recently started messing around with Hammer(solely because it comes bundled with a source game).

There's something relaxing about slowly working on a map, thinking about the immediate design, then tweaking bits and pieces until it feels just right.

My first game to feature an editor I played with was Age of Empires. I would just randomly generate a map and then plant some bases and obstacles and heroes, though.

Then I moved on to Warcraft 3, and I can recommend it as having a pretty good simplicity/capability balance. Pales in comparison to Starcraft 2's but there's very little confusion.

NuDoom Snapmap. I wouldn't call it comfy but the logic/script stuff in particular is really fun once you figure it out. Creating events is fun. Placing objects is fucking hell though and very limited any way, don't get it for that.

Some screenshots

Is memory still a piece of shit? I remember one guy made a room with like, 64 revenants. And they didn't all spawn together.

12 enemies active at a time. You can place hundreds using "spawners" (not the same as hand-placing) which results in somewhat limited functionality but the cap is 12 active enemies at all times. If you try to spawn more than that the game just stops after 12. Hand-placing demons makes them cost hefty "object" budget which applies to basically everything else as well so you're cutting down on the total size of your map etc. So for most encounters you'll want to use spawners. With spawners sometimes I think the game will auto-delete enemies if they are too far away from the player so that could create problems. Not sure. If you want to build robust singleplayer stuff with tons of enemies in the style of original Doom 1 and 2 Snapmap is not for you. It's about tinkering with gamelogic stuff without learning a complicated programming language. It's about having the lights go off when you enter a room, enemies walking along paths you set until they see the player, placing ammo, armor, keycards, platforming obstacles, triggering dramatic music fitting to the situation, that sort of thing.

In my first released map I had a puzzle where you have to use two pressure plates that flip through RGB to set a third plate to the right color out of the 6 possible combinations. If you step on the middle plate with the wrong color you are teleported into lava and respawn. Once you get it right you are teleported out to some weapons and armor and from there you start really playing the level. That sort of thing is not possible in other editors and you'd have to be a decent programmer to get it working in other engines/SDK stuff. In Snapmap you can get it right via trial and error within an hour. So that's the strength it has. Admittedly just about every other aspect is a weakness.

In other words, just use Doombuilder 2/GZDoombuilder intead of this piece of shit.

Nah, it's actually comfy and easy to use and doesn't get tedious with some borderline bureaucratic stuff. It qualified for a thread, even though it's more of a novelty than a proper modding tool.

Truly there is no better feel because it's hard to actually rp, most people leave before it starts

There's also Starcraft 2 Cortex RP that is more advanced in functionality, but it's not very comfortable to use without familiarity with effect/behavior/unit IDs
I even made few Cortex RP maps for EU server.

God I miss SotDRP.

I always played devil's advocate.
I could be good and turn evil or evil and turn good.

One thing's for sure, I loved making castles filled with minibosses.

I always thought Revenant was best model too

Death knight+spiked carapace a best.
I'm going to install it again, am I not?

Though I also used revenants and acolytes.

Fuckoff shill

Spent hour on pic related as It Aint Me was playing.

i have an idea

Why dont we start making an AOE2 campaign together making 1 map per person? the new AOE2 with all the shit dlc they added actually has a pretty easy and functional editor, we can also make custom textures and sounds for voice acting

Should i make a thread and start this shit?

AOE2 its really the easiest editor so far, i think after we finish a campaign in it we can change to any other, from shadow warrior to star wars galactic battlegrounds of warcraft but i think AOE2 its the best to start this sort of thing

Don't you think my posts are a little elaborate for a shill? Also that I'm being a little negative for a shill? As someone who follows nuDoom closely in terms of news I can tell you that Snapmap has no marketing push. In the newest update they fixed a bunch of severe problems with it but the update trailer doesn't even mention Snapmap, it's all about multiplayer.

There may be Doom shills but there certainly aren't any Snapmap shills.

I'd be all in to make an AoW2 campaign and…
oh.

AoE2 was the last AoE I played though. If I find the cds I might start fucking around with the editor again,

I'd be way more interested in an AoW 2 campaign than an AoE one. I never bothered with the campaign editor for AoW 2, though, just individual maps. Did it have much to it other than just linking maps together?

Dude i think i can find a torrent with all the new DLC like the "we wuz kangz n shite" one of the african empires, there is a lot of new content for the game, i think the last version is 4.4.0

Well i dont mind if most of the people want AoW2 im ok with it but its the editor simple enough for 30 people to join and make a campaign in it?

I think he's asking if that custom map is supposed to be vvardenfell.

I used to make maps for AoK when I was a kid, it's piss easy to set up elaborate tricks and game the engine to do things it wasn't intended for. I would be down for that.

The basics of AoW 2's editor are incredibly simply, now making a map someone would want to play in it, that's a whole 'nother story, but that's the case with any editor, making quality work takes time and practice.

Any evidence for this claim?

Yea thats my first issue, AoW2 editor might be good for good maps of strategy and tactics that you can engage and have lots of fun but not for the silly stuff we probably will end up doing, im not saying its gonna be all ebin maymays but most likely people will try to go silly and make some fun jokes, and the AoE2 editor actually works really well for silly small maps for fun as well as for serious strategy and tactics

You're the living proof user

Just a mapfag, a tester and a good writer could keep a good campaign going. A single person can do that.

Ideally and if we went over the top, we'd need a:

Write an appealing story, make nice backgrounds for heroes and cities.
Make a beautiful and appealing map that tells a story just by looking at it and at the same time is challenging and fun.
So you don't face overpowered shit or become some overpowered shit.
To make/use unique portraits for heroes and units.
We WILL need interesting quests, and the mapmaker's quest system is fairly simple and easy. Or simply someone who makes all sorts of fun events to make diplomacy actually matter.
Deities, hero classes, spheres, buildings and units aren't that easy to change. We'd need someone who knows the tools.
If we want to add any specific mechanic like a spell or a custom unit we'd need this.

Well that looks like a fuckload of work for a ragtag of anons doing it for fun, tho i never tried the AoW2 editor im curious of how this works, anyways i guess its better to do it later when we actually have capable people willing to dump some time into this, im gonna start working on a small guide on AoE2 editor and a few images for the thread, later this evening im gonna make it and see if people want to do this

I've just been playing it for as long as this thread, but I'm getting a bit better at it. I just found where to edit hero classes and all. It's pretty amazing. You can even alter what spells do or what deities demand.

I'm using this guide so far. Guy doesn't know everything but it did help a bit.
Maybe it'll make things easier for you.

gamefaqs.com/pc/914785-age-of-wonders-shadow-magic/faqs/31634

You need to better calibrate your shilldar, it's embarrassing.

I said Age of empires 2 user

i seriously doubt we can get a lot of people from the get go to learn to use the AoW2 editor with enough skill to make full campaign

Oh well, we could make a /MMG/ Map Making General for all these campaigns then.

If we're not enough people we could just invade /agdg/

Please mods don't banish us to /vg/. It's cold and slow.

I loved fucking around with map editors back in the day.
I made maps in wc3, age of mythology, and a couple small content mods for morrowind. Unfortunately I think all the files are lost at this point.

Patiently waiting for M&B:Bannerlord. The editor looks amazing.

My nigger. They said they'd include some devtools too so I hope I can make a nice dungeon crawler, or at least add these sort of elements inside the world to make it more fun to explore.

Was going to post this. I haven't played a M&B game yet, but the editor has my hyped.

Wish me luck user!

Good luck. Moving to your thread.

They're all google images. Didn't feel like starting up the games for a few screenshots.

I only played the CD version. I think the redux one does that awful thing where it blurs the textures in an attempt to make the game appear higher res. The magic of these old games is lost without the original graphics.

Were you trying to draw goatse?

i forget which homm it was either 1 or 3, but i would spend time making maps that i never intended to play just for the sake of making a nice cozy corner in a fantasy world.
i imagine homm 5 would be great for this though ive never tried it. it has a very pleasant colorful aesthetic.

id also recommend warcraft 3 for a zen garden map editor.
dont get too sidetracked by polygon titties like i do though.

I loved Homm 3's aesthetic, but I can't stand Homm 4. Why is this?

could just be as simple as that you like the game less, if thats even the case.

I remember playing Homm 4 and liking it. But ever since I got back to Homm 3 I could never bring myself to enjoy 4. Shame, 4 had a much richer level editor.

HoMM3, Red Alert 1, Empire Earth Spore: Galactic Adventures
Level editors are my jam, that's probably why I like Cube 2 so much.

i never asked for this

TRIGGERED

thats kind of cute

if i remember correctly you select your hero and click their spell points "ability"

I've been meaning to get into Age of Wonders recently too
Thanks, OP