IPS vs TN

Has anyone made the switch to an IPS or TN monitor? Is it good for gaming?

I switched from an old CRT monitor to an LCD later than most, because the benefits of a light, portable monitor didn't outweight the superior screen of the CRT's. The old 50ms wasn't good for gaming, there was ghosting, the viewing angle was poor… etc. But I eventually switched when things improved, and now the world uses LCD.

But now we have the IPS vs TN debate, but from what I've read, IPS just isn't there yet. It's a 50/50 chance you'll get the "glowing?" effect, where corners of the screen have light bleed, and you need to send it back to get a replacement. TN doesn't has as rich contrast, but the chance of light bleed is less.

I feel like I should wait a few years for the monitor industry to "work out the bugs" instead of jumping into what seems to be another transition period. Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

blurbusters.com/faq/60vs120vslb/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's much lower than 50% to get the fucked screens now but it can still happen. IPS is pretty much superior in my book with a few caveats. Firstly you (obviously) don't want a borked light bleeding screen, while secondly you have to not mind paying a little more for more pleasurable viewing. Thirdly you have to weigh up the response time difference but at this point I feel like we're getting to the point where its undetectable by humans. Thus I went with IPS for my new screen and I'm really happy with it, though I haven't bought a new TN one in the last few years for a comparison, just my old from from ~2009.

Don't pay for the privilege of owning garbage, buy those monitors when their cheap and robust.

At 400-800+ per display, they are insanely overpriced anyways. If you find one cheap, they are very nice to use if you get one of the good IPS. Incredible resolution plus the color is excellent. 4K will become the standard by 2020 replacing 1440p I predict so probably just wait.

I have no idea what "light bleed" is.
I work in an HP refurbished parts warehouse as a technician, and I've tested a lot of monitors, but i've never noticed any of this crap you're talking about.

As far as I've seen, IPS is beautiful and TN is fucking shit that almost looks like a polished turd from the correct angle.

If you're concerned about latency and input lag, I don't know anything about what makes or models to get to minimize this.
I just know that you should use DVI and be at native resolution.

Well that explains why it's such a common fucking issue then.

It's when the corners light up more and are washed out you lying negro. Ever ser those backligjt mods for Gameboy? The corners show light bleeding through.

I've only ever very faintly seen such an effect when a screen is pitch black, once there is picture it's gone.
Is this what people are complaining about?
Because it seems like a grain of sand compared to the shit-viewing-angle mountain of TN

You should understand that there has never actually been a debate between IPS and TN. The debate was between IPS and other LCD technologies like VA that have different display characteristics. TN has always been regarded as universally garbage by anyone knowledgeable about monitors.
You only hear it now because a few years ago IPS became cheap enough to be considered by the average consumer, which means gamer retards started talking about it. Before 2011~ they began at around 400 dollars. Unfortunately gamers are still obsessed with snake-oil specs like response times so the discussions have become inundated with bullshit.

The glow you talk about is not light-bleed and only looks superficially similar. A side-affect of the way IPS works means that when viewed from a wide angle it loses contrast in very dark colours which thus appear to glow in relation to brighter colours. It can be remedied with filters on the display, but high-end monitors that favour accuracy tend to avoid solutions like this.

we finna ha dis fukn thread ey day nao fam? c'mon nao monica use dat catalog dawg u betta den dis monica

smfh dawg

We check mutliple different shades and colors for any discoloration in the entire display.
I've had dead pixels, dust under the screen, bright-spots, scratches, and dark corners; all gone into the trash, but I've never had an IPS panel have anything that looks like these "light bleed" pictures in google.

And about the slight faded brightness on a black screen I mentioned earlier, when I say it's gone, I mean undetecable.

We will throw out a panel at the slightest, smallest bright-spot, if this light bleed shit was real, I would have thrown out "50%" of the monitors due to "light bleed".
This shit is fucking rare, even in the shitpile product I go through, and you definitely shouldn't expect a "50/50" chance of getting it either new or refurbished.
It'd be like getting a monitor that was smashed.

Fuck off with your bullshit memes.

You are a lucky man.

I'm almost certain this is a case of buying a cheap product with poor QC. TNs can have edge-bleed all the same.
I've owned 3 IPS monitors, and none resemble that image.

Blow your brains out, you cocksucking faggot. Either you’re one of the worst trolls in recent times or you’re the reason for the problem in the first place. There are no other options.

IPS will melt your eyes if you play any game with dark scenes, and you can pretty much kiss your horror games goodbye because they'll be unplayable.

And I'm not even talking about those "unlucky glow" cases, IPS monitors are just abysmal at displaying dark colors properly.

Why don't they just make monitors where each individual pixel is a self-contained micro-LED that can be either totally off and thus perfectly black, or borderline blindingly bright?
All this backlighting bullshit seems to be the main problem holding display technology back.

I'm very glad I switched back to CRT.

You don't really buy an LCD for quality unless you're spending in the 600 range for consumer models or the 20K range for professional models. Seriously, just stick with something practical that benefits your work flow. They're cheap on power, cheap in general, and you can get an acceptable display for cheap.

For anything performance heavy in the sense of refresh rate, image editing, etc. strongly consider keeping a CRT around.

Waiting for a 21:9 oled before getting a new monitor

Just buy a CRT. All LCDs are shit, no exceptions.

You are shit, no exceptions.

You have no idea how blurry even the best gaymen LCDs look. The strobing technologies like ULMB massively improve this (can read text while moving) but ULMB is very difficult to use in practice and also causes eye strain due to needing to run at 100% brightness.
blurbusters.com/faq/60vs120vslb/
I have an Acer Predator XB271HU which is an extremely fast IPS with gsync/ULMB and it's about as good as my old Samsung Syncmawster 2233RZ which was an extremely fast TN and they're still nowhere near what my old CRT was like.

You're a moron. It was only in the last couple years that IPS monitors became viable for gaming and the few good gaming IPS monitors are still too expensive for most people (XB271HU = $750). Previously IPS was stuck crawling along at 60fps and had outrageous amounts of blur (b-but muh g2g time that I don't understand!). Gaming and destitute builds were almost the entire market for TN panels.

congrats lad you're the reason HP monitors are so garbage

gaymer monitors are actually pretty good, just make sure you aren't getting fucked with a product that's pure marketing

I want the CRT meme to end.

What would it take to convince you CRTs are fun, have a few advantages to modern displays, AND are worth owning?

I don't think there's a single thing anyone here could say to convince. Welp, here's a funny webm anyway,. Enjoy!

user, why do you must keep eating shit? How can anyone have fun eating shit straight from a horse's asshole? I will pray for you.

But I like CRTs. Have you ever seen one of thew high end professional ones in person? I thought they were all junk too before I got a PVM. Maybe you just don't have the perspective since you haven't seen one in person.

They do but they are fucking expensive. Wait about 5 or 10 years.

The look on his face somehow made me laugh.

is this some kind of daily dose, doc?
this peeing man looks a lot like you

And suddenly, everything fell into place.

holy shit, and to think the designerfags at work love those montors because of "muh image quality"

The what now?

PWFFFSSSHHHHHHHWWWW